Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No More Starters in Preseason???

Renegade7

Should Redskins stop playing starters in Preseason going forward?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Should Redskins stop playing their starters in Preseason going forward???

• Yes
    • No
    • IDK yet, but what happened to Guice is BS!!!

6 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

Can we all just calm down!!! 

Yes it sucks but we have enough at the running back position to be just fine.  

1. Yes, we should calm down. Sitting all the starters is not an option.

2. No, we do not have enough at the running back position to be "fine." We have a bunch of JAGs. Guice was our first RB of legitimate talent to come through in a while. Unless we sign a vet, our running game is doomed for another year of being just passable.

And no, Thompson doesn't count, because he won't be playing two months into the season.

You simply have to get your body ready for a football season. Part of that is getting some game reps in pre season. It sucks, it hurts but next man up. In the NFL you are only as good as your depth. 

Also I really hope we stand pat and go with the RB's we have on the roster. None of this bringing in AP or Murray or whomever. We have guys here who can get the job done. 

41 minutes ago, Bacon said:

2. No, we do not have enough at the running back position to be "fine." We have a bunch of JAGs. Guice was our first RB of legitimate talent to come through in a while. Unless we sign a vet, our running game is doomed for another year of being just passable.

And no, Thompson doesn't count, because he won't be playing two months into the season.

The guys out on the street are there for a reason. What happened when Gibbs traded for Duckett? Betts ended up having his best season. Trust the guys that were brought in here to get the job done. 

I get the distinct feeling most of yall came in here with your mind''s made up and didn't read any of the links I posted : /

35 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Also I really hope we stand pat and go with the RB's we have on the roster. None of this bringing in AP or Murray or whomever. We have guys here who can get the job done. 

Marshall has one game to prove you right before someone starts the thread.

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

Guys are JAGs until they show everyone else that they are competent.

Who knew Alfred Morris before his rookie season?

Stop with the idiocy already. Every player and coach will tell you the only way to get ready for the season is to play football.  You need to hit and be hit and that's what the preseason is for.  Game speed, even preseason game speed, is simply not the same as practice so these games are necessary.  It's just that simple.  

As for having the guys here already to get the job done where these posters watching last season?  We obviously do not have the backs here to get the job done.  

13 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

As for having the guys here already to get the job done where these posters watching last season?  We obviously do not have the backs here to get the job done.  

Depends on how you define “get the job done.”

i wasnt thinking Guice would merely “get the job done”...I was thinking he would be a key to making the offense dynamic and potent. 

I say go back to a 5 game pre-season but the first 3 would be more like scrimmages with limited contact. You can still broadcast them,in fact it may be easier for the fans to see a newly signed high price fa or high draft pick in action. It will not due away with injuries all together,but may limit them. 

10 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Depends on how you define “get the job done.”

i wasnt thinking Guice would merely “get the job done”...I was thinking he would be a key to making the offense dynamic and potent. 

I agree with you Guice was expected to be an impact player. But again the poster is saying the backs from last year were good enough. No. No they were not.   And that should be obvious.  

24 minutes ago, Dancing Bear said:

I say go back to a 5 game pre-season but the first 3 would be more like scrimmages with limited contact. You can still broadcast them,in fact it may be easier for the fans to see a newly signed high price fa or high draft pick in action. It will not due away with injuries all together,but may limit them. 

You want to add another game?  Get outta here. 

I have to admit that I have become paranoid regarding all these injuries.  For the third year in a row, the team has lost its first-round pick for the year.  We've gotten a total of 5 games played from the three combined.

Last year was more like actual combat the way players were dropping.  Whatever the Redskins are doing is not working.  Although it very well may be as simple as plain old bad luck. 

It is simply bad luck...imagine that.  You have to play full speed with contact to get ready. When the real games start it goes up by a factor of two.  I know some of you on here played football, and know what I mean.  It is a brutal game and ****ty things happen. It is the nature of the beast. Hail

42 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I agree with you Guice was expected to be an impact player. But again the poster is saying the backs from last year were good enough. No. No they were not.   And that should be obvious.  

But that still depends on how you define “good enough” lol...good enough to replace what Guice would have produced? No way in hell. Good enough to provide noticeable improvement in the run game? Between Kelly, Perine, Bibbs, Marshall and a healthy Thompson and a much healthier OLine I’d say yeah, at least one of those guys should be good enough to provide some positive consistency in the run game. I personally have given up on Kelly and have a small reservoir of optimism that Perine and Marshall will prove to be better than most are expecting. If so, we’re good enough to see effective improvement in the run game over last year.  We don’t need a “name “.

that being said, the front office better damn well not be thinking we’re ok lol...they should already have a short list of possible RBs that could be added if necessary, and that list should have already been in place long before Guice was injured...just no panic Duckett/Jason Taylor type moves. The guys we have are “good enough” to get by with...go coach ‘em up, is what I say.

I'm actually on a totally different path than most with preseason...

Keep it at four games.

But the first two games should be strictly for guys new to the team (1-3 years) who are younger/journeymen who have been backups. Anyone who has started or is competing for a job shouldn't play in the first two. At all. 

The third game should be a few series.

The fourth game should be a quarter and then start the season. This change would need to be league wide and understood amongst the teams.

The problem is, shortening the preseason isn't going to help with injuries. Ioan/Garner/Guice could have happened in week four of preseason. Or week 3. Or training camp. Or week 1.

I do agree that preseason should be shortened or have its format changed. That's unquestioned in my mind. But only because they could accomplish a similar task in scrimmages... And probably more because they wouldn't follow televised rules.

I think the players are going to angle for a change in the new CBA. 

43 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

But that still depends on how you define “good enough” lol...good enough to replace what Guice would have produced? No way in hell. Good enough to provide noticeable improvement in the run game? Between Kelly, Perine, Bibbs, Marshall and a healthy Thompson and a much healthier OLine I’d say yeah, at least one of those guys should be good enough to provide some positive consistency in the run game. I personally have given up on Kelly and have a small reservoir of optimism that Perine and Marshall will prove to be better than most are expecting. If so, we’re good enough to see effective improvement in the run game over last year.  We don’t need a “name “.

that being said, the front office better damn well not be thinking we’re ok lol...they should already have a short list of possible RBs that could be added if necessary, and that list should have already been in place long before Guice was injured...just no panic Duckett/Jason Taylor type moves. The guys we have are “good enough” to get by with...go coach ‘em up, is what I say.

We saw last year that this running game was not nearly good enough and that was the case before the OL got injured.  They were inept in short yardage and goal line all year and failed to ever establish a consistent running game.  They return the same players both in the backfield and on the OL.  So why on Earth would we expect anything to be different?

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Stop with the idiocy already. Every player and coach will tell you the only way to get ready for the season is to play football.  You need to hit and be hit and that's what the preseason is for.  Game speed, even preseason game speed, is simply not the same as practice so these games are necessary.  It's just that simple.  

100% agree.

We already know what happens when we "rest" starters during pre season. They reach season rusty, and they need a few games to get rid of the rust.

We've already complain about that years ago with guys like Kerrigan and Williams being kept out of preseason and not being great at the beginning of the regular season.

Injuries happens. Every team, every players...  At least, that's not a Kyshoen Jarrett's type of injury.

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Stop with the idiocy already. Every player and coach will tell you the only way to get ready for the season is to play football.  You need to hit and be hit and that's what the preseason is for.  

So I'm an idiot now?  Did you read any of this thread or links I posted? Of course not, because I'm an idiot and you know everything you need to know.

So here's another one:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-preseason-found-a-way-to-get-even-worse/

NFL teams are clearly aware that the most prized assets need to be protected. The Minnesota Vikings did not have Adrian Peterson log a single preseason carry for five years. And the Denver Broncos this year have barely played star pass rusher Von Miller, the key to their fearsome defense

And below is a graph showing the trend that supports my claim that coaches don't want to play their star players, particularly QB because of the injury risk, as we're getting to point where starting QBs might not play anymore soon.

salfino-preseason-0829-1.thumb.png.0b76ec8e6e13b693ed5648953a6201f8.png

If yall are gonna call me wrong or an idiot, come with your own facts, that's how a debate works, I shouldn't have to tell yall that. 

From what I'm reading about the preseason, coaches goal of finding and developing talent is considerably more important then getting starters reps.  Prove me wrong or stop calling me an idiot.

24 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Word? That is pretty ****ing frustrating. Wish you didnt tell me that. 

Tangent worthy of its own thread, for sure.

Think I'm about done with this thread, though, unless someone responds to me directly.  If people are going to call me stupid instead of coming with their own facts to prove me wrong, this isnt a discussion or debate.

I'm convinced some of yall would rather safely look right then stick your neck out and risk trying to make sure you are right.  Group Think is the devil.

Preseason isn't changing.  Too much money for the owners.  IF anything, the owners would prefer going to an 2 and 18 format. 2 preseason and 18 regular season games.  Players won't agree to that.

You'll just have to live with injuries.  That's just part of the game.  It's how you adjust to injury to a key player that matters.

After all, look at the Eagles.  They lose their starter late in the season and their backup, a one-time starter for them, helps them win a Superbowl.

11 hours ago, Alexa said:

You simply have to get your body ready for a football season. Part of that is getting some game reps in pre season. It sucks, it hurts but next man up. In the NFL you are only as good as your depth. 

The guys out on the street are there for a reason. What happened when Gibbs traded for Duckett? Betts ended up having his best season. Trust the guys that were brought in here to get the job done. 

Exactly what Im saying... This could cause Kelly or Perine to step up in a big way and we have to count Thompson because..... he is on the team soooooo he counts...

Archived