Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Federalist: It's not 'White Threat' harming our Politics, It's Tying Race to Destiny..

nonniey

https://thefederalist.com/2018/08/02/not-white-threat-harming-politics-tying-race-destiny/

Ezra Klein’s Monday article in Vox addressed race in politics, comparing the election of Barack Obama with the election of Donald Trump. It was longer and more nuanced than most of what is published there, but still missed the major point.

The changes in the way race plays into national politics are not a reaction to Obama. They are a reaction to the world progressives built and are still building, a world that has seen the Left’s default position go from aspiring toward color-blindness to one of grievance-nursing along every possible intersectional axis. The political world that gave us Trump is different than the one that gave us Obama, but the difference is of the Left’s own making.

Demographics Aren’t Destiny

Klein begins with the latest version of the demographics-as-destiny argument. That theory was popularized in John Judis and Ruy Teixeira’s 2002 book, “The Emerging Democratic Majority,” and used to run something like this: as immigration from places other than Europe shifts America’s demographics, the percentage of non-white voters will rise. These voters will vote Democratic with the same uniformity as black Americans currently do, and their votes will eventually be so numerous that they will reduce the Republican Party to a permanent second place.

He has a point. It wasnt until recently that be really began letting race divide us. Progressives where responsible for Jim Crow, for example. Just like how you didnt see cell phone videos of cops kicking black ass until about 2010. That's cause in the 90's progressives weren't about this bull**** like they are now. 

It's all so obvious if you really look at it. 

I'm a conservative, but man, that OP reads like a load of you know what. "Look, it ain't my fault, the Devil made me do it." We can do better.

On the color blindness thing, which seems to be a recent trend among whites (similar to All Lives Matter). This following link has much to think about. Like owning our past and not pretending we are past everything completely.

https://www.heartandmouth.org/2018/08/01/what-is-isnt-being-said-6-color-blind-racism/

2045 - the US will be less than 50% white. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2018/03/14/the-us-will-become-minority-white-in-2045-census-projects/

I can see where trump supporters are coming from. If I was a country white guy, I would probably feel threatened by this. I imagine they are also driven by the sense that white people made America great, their fathers to their great great grandfathers made and fought for this Country that has been passed down to them. They have an obligation to honor their fathers before them. USA is a country founded by white people and should always remain run by white people. When the hispanics and blacks take over population they will eventually take over the votes and govt positions of power. 

This country will, one day, not be a white person run country.

That might scare a little tiny bit of the white guy in me tbh but then I think of the individual hispanic or black or asain person i know and its all good. They are my neighbors, my co workers, my family, my friends, etc. Im sure theres a group of anti-white guatamalans somewhere cursing all white people but that is just a small itty bitty portion of the hispanics that live, work and love in this country.

Country folk need to spend time with non country folk imo. Find out we are all the same, mostly.

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Is this “triggering the libs”?

Yo wanna trigger a trump supporter?

Just mention this country will be a brown country in 25 years.

To play a bit of devil's advocate here, I actually do think a handful of policies like bilingual education and certain other multiculturalist mantras have helped fuel some of our nativist frenzy, but ultimately it is human nature to blame the "others" in one's society for one's failures.

8 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

To play a bit of devil's advocate here, I actually do think a handful of policies like bilingual education and certain other multiculturalist mantras have helped fuel some of our nativist frenzy, but ultimately it is human nature to blame the "others" in one's society for one's failures.

What bilingual education policies? Genuinely asking.

43 minutes ago, nonniey said:

a world that has seen the Left’s default position go from aspiring toward color-blindness to one of grievance-nursing along every possible intersectional axis.

In abandoning color-blind equality as a goal

I don't think the left has done that.  You can acknowledge that the goal is color blindness, but also acknowledge that certain minorities have been systematically harmed in our country do to racist actions (and in many cases legal activities based on racist laws) and a first step in achieving color-blindness is to make up for those historical differences.

(MLK talked about color blind society, but he also talked about the need to make up for institutionalized racism that had occurred:

https://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2014/04/martin_luther_king_jr_explicit.html)

In California there was a referendum to end bilingual education - several studies had shown that Latino kids who had gone through the school system being taught in Spanish rather than English ended up (big surprise) economically/academically disadvantaged. The problem was, there was a very large contingent of schoolteachers employed as part of CA's bilingual programs, and they lobbied tooth and nail against it. At the same time, there was a schoolboard chairman in iirc Oakland who tried to claim that Ebonics was a language and urban black schools thus needed funds for bilingual education.  Ironically, one of the most outspoken critics of this was Jesse Jackson, who rightly called it insulting.  The referendum passed in CA, and the same guy who financed getting it on the ballot then tried to do the same in another state (Colorado, I think).

10 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

28 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

I'm a conservative, but man, that OP reads like a load of you know what. "Look, it ain't my fault, the Devil made me do it." We can do better.

On the color blindness thing, which seems to be a recent trend among whites (similar to All Lives Matter). This following link has much to think about. Like owning our past and not pretending we are past everything completely.

https://www.heartandmouth.org/2018/08/01/what-is-isnt-being-said-6-color-blind-racism/

Read the article (I've since posted the link) That is not what he is saying at all) It is a basic attack on Identity politics which the Democrats have always championed and the the Progressives Liberals have since adopted (corrupted by affiliation with the Dems is my guess) His fear is it looks like the Republicans may now be following suit.  (......."Abandoning equality when they thought it was of no more use to them, they showed their true face to people, including those to whom equality still meant something. That, at best, leaves one party still dedicated to that ideal. At worst, it leaves none, with both parties becoming rival factions nursing competing racial resentments"........)

......."The real solution to racial grievances in politics is to return to the old liberal American idea of aspiring toward equality, no matter how difficult that goal may be to attain. Instead of focusing on where people are coming from, let’s talk about where they are headed, who they are in joining the American melting pot and becoming every bit as American as those who were born here...." 

4 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I read a really well written article the other day on white fright as to demographic change. I think it was Wash Po. It followed a 20 year old white woman who works at a chicken plant in rural VA. out of hundreds of workers, she is the only non spanish speaking one.  Company meetings or announcements are done in spanish.

Reminded me of a story a person I met at a party told me. He grew up in a part of gaithersburg md I was currently living in. I asked him about the public schools. He said he and his wife moved back to his parents for a year and their kid went to the public school. He said there were a ton of hispanic kids. He said at orientation for parents they had a translator. ..... a translator for english bc the orientation was in spanish.

I know the tiny "they took our jobs" part of me used to get a tiny bit mad when automated menus and atms asked whether you want in english or spanish. I know that lil scared guy also got mad when it went from "for english press 1, for espanol press 2" to "for espanol press 1, for english press 2".

I get the "I speak american because were in america" line of thought. I get it. To a small degree I agree with it.

White people really dont need to worry about being replaced as a race in the country. They need to get over the fear of intermingling with other races. The minute we stop worrying about the % of white or brown people in the nation and start worrying about the % of Americans we will be so much better off it wont even matter anymore. 

Besides, we gonna keep ****ing white women so yall all gonna be mixed in a few decades anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

In California there was a referendum to end bilingual education - several studies had shown that Latino kids who had gone through the school system being taught in Spanish rather than English ended up (big surprise) economically/academically disadvantaged. The problem was, there was a very large contingent of schoolteachers employed as part of CA's bilingual programs, and they lobbied tooth and nail against it. At the same time, there was a schoolboard chairman in iirc Oakland who tried to claim that Ebonics was a language and urban black schools thus needed funds for bilingual education.  Ironically, one of the most outspoken critics of this was Jesse Jackson, who rightly called it insulting.  The referendum passed in CA, and the same guy who financed getting it on the ballot then tried to do the same in another state (Colorado, I think).

Thats wild! 

9 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I don't think the left has done that.  You can acknowledge that the goal is color blindness, but also acknowledge that certain minorities have been systematically harmed in our country do to racist actions (and in many cases legal activities based on racist laws) and a first step in achieving color-blindness is to make up for those historical differences.

(MLK talked about color blind society, but he also talked about the need to make up for institutionalized racism that had occurred:

https://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2014/04/martin_luther_king_jr_explicit.html)

I absolutely think the left has abandoned that goal. Funny thing is this was probably because of their affiliation with the Democrats who always were antagonistic to a color blind society.

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

White people really dont need to worry about being replaced as a race in the country. They need to get over the fear of intermingling with other races. The minute we stop worrying about the % of white or brown people in the nation and start worrying about the % of Americans we will be so much better off it wont even matter anymore. 

Besides, we gonna keep ****ing white women so yall all gonna be mixed in a few decades anyway. 

Thats wild! 

Funny thing is you jumped right onto what the writer was criticizing and praising (but true to form got it completely backward). He is saying race should be irrelevant, society should be color-blind and "intermingling as you call it" may be a mitigation that undermines the determination to separate by groups and race. 

45 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Is this “triggering the libs”?

15 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Identity politics which the Democrats have always championed and the the Progressives Liberals have since adopted (corrupted by affiliation with the Dems is my guess) 

11 minutes ago, nonniey said:

I absolutely think the left has abandoned that goal. Funny thing is this was probably because of their affiliation with the Democrats who always were antagonistic to a color blind society.

Confirmed.

2 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Funny thing is you jumped right onto what the writer was criticizing and praising (but true to form got it completely backward). He is saying race should be irrelevant, society should be color-blind and "intermingling as you call it" may be a mitigation that undermines the determination to separate by groups and race. 

Says the conservative whose party aligns with white nationalists.

Archived