Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Federalist: It's not 'White Threat' harming our Politics, It's Tying Race to Destiny..

nonniey

3 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

http:// https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/1025050118989332480

Sure looks like an apology to me.  If we get to the point that everybody that has said something they regret or was a mistake can't have a job, then nobody will be employed.

"I deep regret that I mimicked the language of my harassers"

"These comments were not aimed at a general audience" (despite the fact that she tweeted them publicly and not @ anyone specific.)

"I can understand how hurtful these posts are out of context"

Notably absent from this apology are words like "I apologize" or "I am sorry".  What she's done is explained that it was satire and that she was the victim, and that she regrets we saw it out of context. 

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

"I deep regret that I mimicked the language of my harassers"

"These comments were not aimed at a general audience" (despite the fact that she tweeted them publicly and not @ anyone specific.)

"I can understand how hurtful these posts are out of context"

Notably absent from this apology are words like "I apologize" or "I am sorry".  What she's done is explained that it was satire and that she was the victim, and that she regrets we saw it out of context. 

She didn't say that she regrets we saw it out of context.  She regrets that she tweeted in that way (mimicking the language of her harassers).

regret: "feel sad, repentant, or disappointed over"

sorry: feeling sorrow, regret, or penitence

Is your problem that she used a $4 word?

1 minute ago, PeterMP said:

She didn't say that she regrets we saw it out of context.  She regrets that she tweeted in that way (mimicking the language of her harassers).

regret: "feel sad, repentant, or disappointed over"

sorry: feeling sorrow, regret, or penitence

Is your problem that she used a $4 word?

Correct.  I was thrown by her use of the word regret, and definitely not the context in which she used it.  It's not that she explained that it was satire.  It's not that she followed up that tired excuse with the worse "out of context" one.  It's not that she's one "I was hacked" claim away from the twitter weasle hat trick.  The problem is that I kant reed gud. 

55 minutes ago, Llevron said:

See, nothing but pain can come from this lol

This thread is great, we're all a little splash of something.  My mom told me she's a fraction Tibetan, I'm sure each of her brother's are more or less.  What does that even mean though, because not everyone in Tibet is Tibetan either. 

I wish I could just tell my kids they are American, don't worry about it.  They'll be back like a boomerang saying someone told them that wasn't true and I'd have to explain it.  Odds are they will be like me where I can't pass for white and know they don't have the complexion for the protection.  I have to warn them. 

If race wasn't used against us all so much, I don't think it'd be that big of a deal.  Seriously, its seems like the only variety of colors in nature we don't awe at and admire are our own.  The definition of race really isn't really that bad, and also involves bodily characteristics, which culture doesn't do.

Anyone want to take a crack at the difference between race, ethnicity, and culture? I've know white people from south africa that when they end up here, citizenship and all that, then say they african-american, they get eyebrows (please don't call me african-american).

48 minutes ago, grego said:

i think someone is going to suggest that if she had said the same things about a different ethnicity (or if she were a different ethnicity, but maybe not, because, asians) the reaction would be different?

the interpretation of this, and things like it, is a microcosm of our current situation. instead of 'its not ok, because youre saying horrible things about an entire race of people', its 'its ok because..........'.

what rules are we playing by? this is a problem. 

It's true, other races are allowed to be racist towards white people but white people aren't allowed to be racist.  It's like it doesn't count for so reason because whites were the majority for so long in this country and made the rules to favor themselves for most of it.  I don't think as a society (at least in this country) we're all on the same page that racism is racism no matter who its directed towards.  Whatever race people think you are is like a hall pass to walk into a group of other people that match whatever race they think you are to sit and listen to them gripe about other races (**** they won't say with other races in the room). I dropped a warning a page or two about this, we absolutely need to check ourselves once white people start feeling outnumbered, because otherwise, I can see white nationalism getting worse, not better, because they'll feel boxed in a corner.

49 minutes ago, grego said:

i think someone is going to suggest that if she had said the same things about a different ethnicity (or if she were a different ethnicity, but maybe not, because, asians) the reaction would be different?

the interpretation of this, and things like it, is a microcosm of our current situation. instead of 'its not ok, because youre saying horrible things about an entire race of people', its 'its ok because..........'.

what rules are we playing by? this is a problem. 

I hope not. It’s rediculous that any sort of off color remark about anything can get someone fired. But, that’s the america we live in now. #gotcha

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The fact that obama’s brought trump isn’t surprising. I agree with that part. Pendulums swing. 

We really need to stop that **** or stabalize.  How is this country supposed to function if everytime one is in power they undue what the other one did?  I mean, this **** is personal now.

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I hope not. It’s rediculous that any sort of off color remark about anything can get someone fired. But, that’s the america we live in now. #gotcha

This isn't completely true.  You see it with Jeong, but you also see it with the collection of white baseball players that have essentially not been punished.

It is always going to be hard and greater context is always going to matter.  Would Papa John have been fired if the company wasn't already struggling?

It wouldn't have shocked me.

(And I'll point out in that context, I wouldn't be surprised if you see MLB try to now punish some of these people more severely.  It is a case where 1 they can sort of say it is anomaly and a one time thing and move on, but now you've gotta couple and the PR pressure builds.)

CBS hasn’t fired what’s his face yet.... not because he isn’t a rapist, but because he’s an earner.

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We really need to stop that **** or stabalize.  How is this country supposed to function if everytime one is in power they undue what the other one did?  I mean, this **** is personal now.

Well, i mean, the forefathers didn’t want presidents to be making laws, they wanted congress to.... the executive orders have done us in....

9 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Well, i mean, the forefathers didn’t want presidents to be making laws, they wanted congress to.... the executive orders have done us in....

Interesting perspective.  This may get off track, but all things considered (especially now with how slow Congress is moving), they need that option.  Congress has been undoing stuff voted on by previous congresses as well, its one thing to have different opinions, our government this century is damn has split personalities that hate each other.

3 hours ago, Destino said:

The left isn’t colorblnd.  Not sure if anyone is paying attention but colorblind is basically treated as a racist stance at this point.  Today is about intersectional approaches, meaning that acknowledging privilege or the lack of it is required.  Failure to acknowledge race, which is what colorblind seeks to do, is viewed largely as supporting an oppressive system.  Everything is about generalized concepts of power, that largely ignores individual circumstances.  Those lower on the made up power scale are in theory permitted to “punch up” without risk of being accused of racism or some other discrimination.  No one can punch down.  This thinking on race is how Sarah Jeong ends up on the NYT editorial board despite a history of blatantly obvious racism.  

The right isn't colorblind either, and this is something that really should be obvious to everyone.  The expected more traditionally racist positions are there, but they're also increasingly focused on maintaining cultural dominance.  They’re very obviously threatened by demographics.  In a very short amount of time they’ve gone from smug proclamations of representing “real America” to panic over a future of mixed race urban populations dominating everything.  This, in part, explains how Trump was elected.  20 years ago, even 10 years ago, he wouldn’t have had a chance.  

That was very well put.

Don’t care for that nonsense article or a lot of the goofy posts that ensued.

I am currently reading a book called “The Color of Law” by Richard Rothstein where he discusses how the federal government supported segregation in northern cities. It’s a fascinating read with amazing stories. The FHA didn’t give loans to housing developments that would give housing to black people for instance

A lot of people do not have the entire history of this country so attempting to move toward “colorblind” society is nonsense when you don’t even acknowledge what happened in the past and how it affects today.

15 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

A lot of people do not have the entire history of this country so attempting to move toward “colorblind” society is nonsense when you don’t even acknowledge what happened in the past and how it affects today.

Yep, a lot of people judge history based on the chapter they walked in on. Math and Science are important, but History is becoming more underrated by the minute.

I think there's a difference between saying race doesn't matter and race doesn't exist, you can wish it doesn't matter, but it still does right now, unfortunately.  You can argument we'd be doing our civilization a disservice however by saying race doesn't exist, that goes hand in hand with our diversity, which is supposed to be our strength, not our weakness.  When I look at the texture of someone's hair, I know that wasn't magic and saying its just chromosomes is not even half the story.

16 hours ago, Zguy28 said:

I'm a conservative, but man, that OP reads like a load of you know what. "Look, it ain't my fault, the Devil made me do it." We can do better.

On the color blindness thing, which seems to be a recent trend among whites (similar to All Lives Matter). This following link has much to think about. Like owning our past and not pretending we are past everything completely.

https://www.heartandmouth.org/2018/08/01/what-is-isnt-being-said-6-color-blind-racism/

Thanks for sharing this.  This is erudite and well-written.  I was familiar with the concept of color-blind racism, and this is an interesting and well-articulated take on it from the perspective of the church.

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Yep, a lot of people judge history based on the chapter they walked in on. Math and Science are important, but History is becoming more underrated by the minute.

Hear hear.  Attaining a vast knowledge of something's history is the path to enlightenment about it.  The discipline is utterly essential to progress.

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I think there's a difference between saying race doesn't matter and race doesn't exist, you can wish it doesn't matter, but it still does right now, unfortunately.  You can argument we'd be doing our civilization a disservice however by saying race doesn't exist, that goes hand in hand with our diversity, which is supposed to be our strength, not our weakness.  When I look at the texture of someone's hair, I know that wasn't magic and saying its just chromosomes is not even half the story.

Agreed.  Race matters and certainly exists.  But it goes way beyond phenotypical differences.  It's a cultural construct that's fluid.  Especially in the United States.

The phenotypical differences among ethnic groups are essentially arbitrary differences when it comes to character, virtue, etc.  But they absolutely shape the way ethnic groups live and the way they are viewed by various populations.  Saying there is beauty, and even evolutionary strength in phenotypical diversity is accurate IMO.  But it makes me a little uncomfortable to attach virtues like beauty and strength to visible manifestations of phenotype.  That has more often led to harm than good IMO.  Some people may see beauty in differences in phenotype.  But I think many more perceive phenotypical difference as the manifestation of the alienism of other groups and are threatened by it.

I didn't know where else to put this.  I was reading about the controversial ad in a Kentucky election for judge, when this portion caught my eye:

Kentucky has a dark history when it comes to lynching, according to the Courier-Journal.

About 186 black people were lynched between 1877 and 1950, according to the Center for Studies in Demography and Ecology at the University of Washington. U.S. Sens. Cory Booker of New Jersey, Kamala Harris of California and Tim Scott of South Carolina introduced bipartisan legislation in July that would make lynching a federal hate crime.

Are you ****ing kidding me? No one, in the history of Congress, thought it would be a good idea to classify lynching as a federal hate crime? WTF is it classified as?

Sorry, I am in an especially cantankerous mood this morning.  Members of Congress should be aborted and replaced with an entirely new representative body.  They won't do their job, are compulsive morons, and have no business being in charge of this country. And don't get me started on the President...

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/29/624847379/african-american-senators-introduce-anti-lynching-bill

The Justice for Victims of Lynching Act of 2018 notes that during the first half of the 20th century nearly 200 attempts to pass anti-lynching legislation failed to gain support from the Senate despite urging from seven sitting presidents.

It also cites statistics supported by research compiled by Tuskegee University, that more than 4,700 people were lynched between the years 1882 and 1968. About three-quarters of the victims were African-American. And according to the bill, "99 percent of all perpetrators of lynching escaped from punishment by state or local officials."......

The bill needs the support of 60 senators in order to pass. So far, Patty Murray, D-Wash., Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., and Dick Durbin, D-Ill., are among more than a dozen senators who introduced the legislation.

No Republicans have backed the bill.

Archived