Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Federalist: It's not 'White Threat' harming our Politics, It's Tying Race to Destiny..

nonniey

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

Wait, I don’t have time to read the article now, but are you saying the author says it’s the left that isn’t color blind? 

I’ll read it tonight but on a side not, if anyone doesn’t think every single politician on all sides doesn’t play identity politics and if anyone doesn’t  think Donald Trump does that as much if not more than anyone currently, that person should not be considered a serious thinker...to put it kindly.

The left isn’t colorblnd.  Not sure if anyone is paying attention but colorblind is basically treated as a racist stance at this point.  Today is about intersectional approaches, meaning that acknowledging privilege or the lack of it is required.  Failure to acknowledge race, which is what colorblind seeks to do, is viewed largely as supporting an oppressive system.  Everything is about generalized concepts of power, that largely ignores individual circumstances.  Those lower on the made up power scale are in theory permitted to “punch up” without risk of being accused of racism or some other discrimination.  No one can punch down.  This thinking on race is how Sarah Jeong ends up on the NYT editorial board despite a history of blatantly obvious racism.  

The right isn't colorblind either, and this is something that really should be obvious to everyone.  The expected more traditionally racist positions are there, but they're also increasingly focused on maintaining cultural dominance.  They’re very obviously threatened by demographics.  In a very short amount of time they’ve gone from smug proclamations of representing “real America” to panic over a future of mixed race urban populations dominating everything.  This, in part, explains how Trump was elected.  20 years ago, even 10 years ago, he wouldn’t have had a chance.  

36 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I'm mixed and like when they have an "other" option.

Honestly, white, black, and arab culture of the people in my bloodlines are all ****ing weird to me. I got over the push of needing to be accepted pretty quickly and side-stepped that whole pick a single race and embrace that as my identity deal. I've always been multicultural or an American in my mind. 

I can't wait till everyone's a mutt and we don't have to even think about accepting or rejecting based on color. I can't wait till we're forced to judge people solely on behavior and principles/values.

I used to feel this way in high school, wishing race didn't matter.  Realized even if it didn't matter to me it mattered to other people so had to internalize that (took a while).

I think in order to achieve what your talking about, we have to think more about how to separate race from culture where we can.  Saying my race is black is a lie, my mom is Italian, but I identify with the struggle that race is going through because I go through a lot of the same crap (black people are actually the best at being able to tell I'm mixed of any race I run into, which bothers me because their most likely to hold it against me).  What I try to avoid is doing what I'm supposed to in that regard, I am what I am, deal with it.

As to us all being mutts, I used to joke about that, but now, I don't think it will ever happen.  We'll be traveling in space before we are that mixed up and as people have a tendency to gravitate to people like them, we'll spread out in a mixed up fashion but also in groups to make colonies (like plymouth rock).

The Hispanic interracial marriage rate is pretty high, from what I recall close to 30%.  The interracial marriage is probably with White mostly due to the fact that the majority in this country are White. .  Now, what do the children from White-Latino marriage identify as? I would bet mostly White.

Would people be shocked if 30 years from now the White population is like 70%? I am telling you all, the definition of White is always changing.  A lot of brown-looking Hispanics already identify as White. Now, why do they identify as White? The reason is that Latinos are already mixed with White.  For example, genetically speaking, Mexicans are 50% White and 50% Native American (the number could be 60-40).  They probably identify with White more than they do with Native American.   On the other hand, Puerto Ricans can be 80-90% White.  What's Ricky Martin?  He looks pretty White to me.    A lot of Cubans also tend to look White.  Ted Cruz's dad also looks pretty  White to me if I am looking at the right picture.

I am not so sure about America being a majority minority country any time soon.  

Are Italians White?  Today, they are.  What about a 100 years ago?  I guess Armenians are White too even though they are West Asians.  

"White" is complicated. The definition keeps changing to incorporate more and more people.  

52 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Off-topic funny, I was talking to a chick who did that with her biological sister and got different results. Ruh Roh.

thats actually not unusual (unless they are identical twins). 

It would be easy to assume that one person’s genetic ancestry results can tell a family’s whole story. But that’s not exactly true. In fact, two siblings who have the same parents might have different ancestry genetic test results! How is that possible? A combination of statistics, random chance, and genetics.

https://www.helix.com/blog/sibling-ancestry-dna-testing-kits/

Because of recombination, siblings only share about 50 percent of the same DNA, on average, Dennis says. So while biological siblings have the same family tree, their genetic code might be different in at least one of the areas looked at in a given test. That’s true even for fraternal twins.

The more diverse your recent ancestors are, Dennis says, the more pronounced the effects of genetic recombination can be.

“If your maternal grandparents are biracial, for example, your mother will have a random mix of those ethnicities,” she says. That leaves a more diverse set of genetic possibilities for her to pass down. “And you’d see a bigger effect if your great-great grandparents were from different places.”

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/03/dna-ancestry-test-siblings-different-results-genetics-science/

Just now, grego said:

It would be easy to assume that one person’s genetic ancestry results can tell a family’s whole story. But that’s not exactly true. In fact, two siblings who have the same parents might have different ancestry genetic test results! How is that possible? A combination of statistics, random chance, and genetics.

Because of recombination, siblings only share about 50 percent of the same DNA, on average, Dennis says. So while biological siblings have the same family tree, their genetic code might be different in at least one of the areas looked at in a given test. That’s true even for fraternal twins.

The more diverse your recent ancestors are, Dennis says, the more pronounced the effects of genetic recombination can be.

“If your maternal grandparents are biracial, for example, your mother will have a random mix of those ethnicities,” she says. That leaves a more diverse set of genetic possibilities for her to pass down. “And you’d see a bigger effect if your great-great grandparents were from different places.”

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/03/dna-ancestry-test-siblings-different-results-genetics-science/

Thank you for posting that because when she said I half didn't believe and half thought that meant the test was BS.  It was still funny at the time though, well, because she thought it was.

21 minutes ago, Destino said:

The left isn’t colorblnd.  Not sure if anyone is paying attention but colorblind is basically treated as a racist stance at this point.  Today is about intersectional approaches, meaning that acknowledging privilege or the lack of it is required.  Failure to acknowledge race, which is what colorblind seeks to do, is viewed largely as supporting an oppressive system.  Everything is about generalized concepts of power, that largely ignores individual circumstances.  Those lower on the made up power scale are in theory permitted to “punch up” without risk of being accused of racism or some other discrimination.  No one can punch down.  This is thinking on race is how Sarah Jeong ends up on the NYT editorial board despite a history of blatantly obvious racism.

She's said it was mistake and was trying to satire to use satire to try and hit back at people that were harassing her due to sex, sexual identity and race.  The NYT has said they don't condone what she did.

Nobody is saying what she did was good or acceptable.

2 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

The Hispanic interracial marriage rate is pretty high, from what I recall close to 30%.  The interracial marriage is probably with White mostly due to the fact that the majority in this country are White. .  Now, what do the children from White-Latino marriage identify as? I would bet mostly White.

Would people be shocked if 30 years from now the White population is like 70%? I am telling you all, the definition of White is always changing.  A lot of brown-looking Hispanics already identify as White. Now, why do they identify as White? The reason is that Latinos are already mixed with White.  For example, genetically speaking, Mexicans are 50% White and 50% Native American (the number could be 60-40).  They probably identify with White more than they do with Native American.   On the other hand, Puerto Ricans can be 80-90% White.  What's Ricky Martin?  He looks pretty White to me.    A lot of Cubans also tend to look White.  Ted Cruz's dad also looks pretty  White to me if I am looking at the right picture.

I am not so sure about America being a majority minority country any time soon.  

Are Italians White?  Today, they are.  What about a 100 years ago?  I guess Armenians are White too even though they are West Asians.  

"White" is complicated. The definition keeps changing to incorporate more and more people.  

my wife is chilean. her mom moved here from chile just before she was born. statistically, chileans are generally 46% native american and some combination of spanish and other ethnicities. her ancestry test actually came back 46% native and I think 20% spanish and some other stuff (3% english, some scandinavian, asian, 4% north african,3% jewish), and my son did his a little later and came back 23% native american with the rest spanish, english, north african, scandinavian. i'm mostly 38% scandinavian, then 33ish% english, irish, scottish, welsh, and 10% spanish. 

how does my son identify? thats an interesting question. hes more native than anything, so i would probably go with that. 

24 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I remember asking my mom one time what we were.  I knew white but didn't know Irish, French, etc.  She said "American.  That's what is important. "

Mom described me as Heinz 57,I usually write in American,

I'm white,Hispanic,Native American and black and who knows what

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Thank you for posting that because when she said I half didn't believe and half thought that meant the test was BS.  It was still funny at the time though, well, because she thought it was.

i dated sisters ( :headbang:) who had a black father and white mother who i met years apart under different unrelated circumstances. the first one looked pretty white- like you wouldnt have really guessed her dad was black, like, not steph curry. more than shaq black. the sister looked more like you would expect with that combination.  (of course its possible they had different dads and nobody said anything. this was pre Maury. even on that show you get surprised by the results)

26 minutes ago, grego said:

Yes, you can even see it between me and one brother vs another brother and sister

3 minutes ago, twa said:

Yes, you can even see it between me and one brother vs another brother and sister

i believe that. my wife is really dark, but her sisters skin tone is whiter than mine. i actually tan pretty well (must be my 10% spanish :)

btw, how off topic, exactly, have i taken this thread?

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

She's said it was mistake and was trying to satire to use satire to try and hit back at people that were harassing her due to sex, sexual identity and race.  The NYT has said they don't condone what she did.

Nobody is saying what she did was good or acceptable.

She tweeted "Dumbass ****ing white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pissing on fire hydrants" in November of 2014.  Then a month later tweeted "Are white people genetically predisposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like groveling goblins"  These weren't directed at anyone or referencing anything. 

The only reason she's addressed the issue at all is because it threatens a job she wants, and she didn't even apologize.  Despite this she's kept her job.  This is because there are a lot of people that see absolutely nothing wrong.  In fact I've read two articles today criticizing the NYT for adressing it at all.  Here's one from the HuffPost:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sarah-jeong-new-york-times-tweets_us_5b633c12e4b0b15abaa0e80e

The proper way to respond to a bad-faith troll campaign like the one the right-wing internet is waging on Sarah Jeong, the newest member of The New York Times editorial board, is to not respond at all, to not even listen in the first place. This is a hard thing to fathom if you’re The New York Times and your brand identity is tied to an otherworldly patrician rectitude.  

But ignore the trolls you must. This includes the gleeful, snickering chuds who strip old tweets of their context and send them back out into the world. And this also includes the establishment figures like Ari Fleischer and publications like the National Review, the folks wailing about an Asian woman’s “anti-white racism,” as if there were such a thing.

There's that intersectional magical thinking. 

10 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I've been told that I may have Native American, hispanic, Japanese, or (most likely) African American DNA. Don't know for sure. My mom was pretty much a ho.

Are we related, cause the men in my family **** everyone.

29 minutes ago, Destino said:

She tweeted "Dumbass ****ing white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pissing on fire hydrants" in November of 2014.  Then a month later tweeted "Are white people genetically predisposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like groveling goblins"  These weren't directed at anyone or referencing anything. 

The only reason she's addressed the issue at all is because it threatens a job she wants, and she didn't even apologize.  Despite this she's kept her job.

http://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/1025050118989332480

Sure looks like an apology to me.  If we get to the point that everybody that has said something they regret or was a mistake can't have a job, then nobody will be employed.

20 minutes ago, Destino said:

The only reason she's addressed the issue at all is because it threatens a job she wants, and she didn't even apologize.  Despite this she's kept her job.

i think someone is going to suggest that if she had said the same things about a different ethnicity (or if she were a different ethnicity, but maybe not, because, asians) the reaction would be different?

the interpretation of this, and things like it, is a microcosm of our current situation. instead of 'its not ok, because youre saying horrible things about an entire race of people', its 'its ok because..........'.

what rules are we playing by? this is a problem. 

Archived