Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

I'm terrified of heights.  And yet, I have a great collection of pictures from the tops of skyscrapers.  Impossible, you say?  

Yep. I have a collection of pics taken from the edge of some very high cliffs,(Zions and Bryce for example),yet I get nervous on a step stool these days. ;) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

man

the prosecutor trying to make it out like ford's less than honest about a ****ing fear of  flying

what a sham

i thought that was an interesting point. i'm having trouble reconciling her stated fear of flying with that testimony. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grego said:

i thought that was an interesting point. i'm having trouble reconciling her stated fear of flying with that testimony. 

i'm not at all surprised that you find that interesting.  it's nonsense because it's not at all unusual to have some degree of fear reaction, or actual phobia, and still manage it--esp. for someone well trained professionally in how to do such (but that doesn't make you immune to effects).

i don't respond to you for your enlightenment, but for the potential interest of others.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, grego said:

Maybe she can work through that fear when necessary, kind of like people who fear public speaking have to sometime. Apparently it's not a debilitating fear.

BTW, the optic of "Ms. Mitchell will ask a question for Sen. Sasse" who is sitting right there makes the Rs look like dolts.

Add: Chicken****s is probably more accurate than dolts.

Edited by RedskinsFan44
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i'm not at all surprised that you find that interesting.  it's nonsense because it's not at all unusual to have some degree of fear reaction, or actual phobia, and still manage it--esp. for someone well trained professionally in how to do such (but that doesn't make you immune to effects).

i don't respond to you for your enlightenment, but for the potential interest of others.

i do think its an interesting point, but not one without an explanation. i can see being afraid of enclosed spaces but having that fear manifest itself more in some settings than others (such as vacations, for example). 

5 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

My Mom was terrified of public speaking and yet as a scientist and highly regarded researcher at the NEI. As such, she was extended invitations to speak about her studies all over the country and internationally over her career. She turned down most, but some she couldn't and some her bosses really pressed her to go to.

She did speak and present at these events. She hated doing so each time and never got over her fear. So, the idea  that someone has a fear of flying and still flies doesn't shock me in the least.

11 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Yep. I've been scared to death of flying since an early age. They had to drug me and knock me out when flying back and forth to Japan during my teenage years. The last decade I've been able to manage smaller 2-3 hour flights. The 4-5 hour flights to Utah are a stretch but Xanax helps lol. 

Edited by AJ*

5 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

So who is watching the hearing?  I am at work so my updates are mostly through twitter which is sort of giving tiny subjective snapshots.  Most are saying she's doing well and GOP looks terrible.  Is that other people's view?

My firm is playing it in the conference room.  :ols:

The other things we do this for are March Madness and the World Cup. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 2

I attempted to talk to my father (70) about this last night, after he had watched the entire Trump Q&A of course. It was a bunch "they are lying" blah blah blah. He even said one of the women's husband had come out and said she was a liar looking for attention. I hadn't heard that one. I just encouraged him to broaden his spectrum of information sources.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

So who is watching the hearing?  I am at work so my updates are mostly through twitter which is sort of giving tiny subjective snapshots.  Most are saying she's doing well and GOP looks terrible.  Is that other people's view?

I've had the entire thing on.  I think she's doing quite well given the circumstances.  My key takeaways:

1. I have no idea what the Republican prosecutor is doing.  Half of her questions seem to be about random things like her fear of flying.  I guess to show she's not truthful about things?

2. The Dems aren't asking many questions...most of their time is spent bolstering her confidence for the next round from the prosecutor.  That or they're calling the GOP out in general.

3. Chuck Grassley has come off as the worst person in the room, and it isn't even close.

Every single thing about this has been disastrous for the GOP. Grassley's farce off an opening statement, Ford's gut-wrenching testimony, Grassley interrupting, a bunch of Republican male Senators sitting there like cowards while a hired gun grills Ford like she's on trial for the sexual assault herself. 

Still gonna plow right through this, Mitch?

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Every single thing about this has been disastrous for the GOP. Grassley's farce off an opening statement, Ford's gut-wrenching testimony, Grassley interrupting, a bunch of Republican male Senators sitting there like cowards while a hired gun grills Ford like she's on trial for the sexual assault herself. 

Still gonna plow right through this, Mitch?

Depends mostly on point of view. Very few people will have their mind changed by this.

3 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

He might, ****er has no shame.

I just can't see how he'll have the votes after this. I think there will be at least a couple of Senators who will refuse to go along (likely more, behind closed doors), even if they're only thinking of the political optics of it. Any Rs from moderate states will know they're going to get eviscerated if they vote for him. They'll push for him to withdraw so they don't have to vote yes to a guy who is increasingly looking like a serial sexual predator. 

Edited by mistertim