Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Just turned on the game. That all black uniform, if I’m seeing that right, should be banned from hockey. It’s terrible looking and it can be a little tough to pick up sometimes with the black puck against the black unis 

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Just turned on the game. That all black uniform, if I’m seeing that right, should be banned from hockey. It’s terrible looking and it can be a little tough to pick up sometimes with the black puck against the black unis 

I think it looks kinda cool and **** what goalies think.

😘

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

Tampa has faced no adversity all year. They are acting like getting hit is against the rules. Keep playing the body, this team will take more and more penalties in the 3rd. Would be nice to square it up on the PP on the fresh sheet. 

They hate getting hit, just like last year. When we face them in the of the playoffs, they will want to duel, we will want to brawl. And we're going to drag them into a brawl. 

Respectable showing tonight. This game and the next two are all a feeling out process, anyway. 

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

They're still a paper team to me and we'll beat them when it counts.

They're REALLY good.  What caught my attention is that they matched the Caps physicality last night.  Turning point in the series last year was when the Caps bullied/pushed the Bolts around.  Seems like they've learned from their past failures.  They're a lot like the Caps teams of years past that couldn't get over the hump.  What we saw last night could potentially be another ECF preview.  If so, we'll be in for a treat. 

Also, not to get too political, but the season is really going to pass by w/o the Caps going to the White House...

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26296632/caps-ink-yale-snively-played-little-caps

Caps sign Yale FA Joe Snively.  Per ESPN: "Snively, 23, had 15 goals and 21 assists for 36 points in 33 games at Yale this past season. He was Yale's leading scorer in each of his four seasons there and reportedly drew interest from two-thirds of the NHL.  The 5-foot-9 Snively immediately becomes one of Washington's top forward prospects and is evidence of the Alex Ovechkin effect on hockey in the area."

Anyone know anything about him?  He's a local boy.  Perhaps the next Jeff Halpern?

7 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26296632/caps-ink-yale-snively-played-little-caps

Caps sign Yale FA Joe Snively.  Per ESPN: "Snively, 23, had 15 goals and 21 assists for 36 points in 33 games at Yale this past season. He was Yale's leading scorer in each of his four seasons there and reportedly drew interest from two-thirds of the NHL.  The 5-foot-9 Snively immediately becomes one of Washington's top forward prospects and is evidence of the Alex Ovechkin effect on hockey in the area."

Anyone know anything about him?  He's a local boy.  Perhaps the next Jeff Halpern?

That's cool and good to get a prospect. He looks about 15 in that picture. 

The downside is that he immediately becomes one of the top forward prospects. Caps drafts recently have been lacking in that area and that will hurt long term if they don't start connecting on some of these picks. 

For the life of me I'll never understand the hockey draft and why a guy like this is a free agent vs not having to get drafted. I could probably understand if I put 2 minutes of effort into it but I don't actually care. 

22 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’m curious about something. How confident are you guys that we can win another Stanley cup this year? I’d like to see it happen and i hope the caps win back to back cups. Are the caps a much better team than last year’s Stanley cup team, or just about the same?

About the same.  Somewhat better on defense.  Worse at the dot. Kuzy needs to turn it on. 

51 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’m curious about something. How confident are you guys that we can win another Stanley cup this year? I’d like to see it happen and i hope the caps win back to back cups. Are the caps a much better team than last year’s Stanley cup team, or just about the same?

Im not confident at all.

11 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Im not confident at all.

Definitely entitled to your opinion, but I don't see how anyone could say that after we won it all last year with the same team, and we're actually performing better in a lot of areas this year.  And like last year, we seem to be peaking at the right time (now).  Tampa scares me, but they scared me last year too.  Everyone else in the East looks beatable (including Pittsburgh and Boston).

1 minute ago, capcrunch98 said:

Definitely entitled to your opinion, but I don't see how anyone could say that after we won it all last year with the same team, and we're actually performing better in a lot of areas this year.  And like last year, we seem to be peaking at the right time (now).  Tampa scares me, but they scared me last year too.  Everyone else in the East looks beatable (including Pittsburgh and Boston).

It's incredibly difficult to win cups back to back. Pittsburgh recently. 20 years before that. Caps have a chance but it's tough to get the same bounces the Caps got last playoff run. 

11 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Sixteen teams enter, one team leaves victorious.  That alone is plenty reason to not be confident.

It's always smart to bet on the field.  The margin of victory/error is so small in the playoffs that a few bounces here and there can have huge impacts.  I think the Caps can play with anyone, including TB over the course of a 7 game series, but there is a reason they have 11/1 odds right now.  Even though that's top 5, it's still not great odds. 

21 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Im optimistic, but there’s a lot of good teams out there this season.  Obviously TB.  Trotz has our number.  Boston looks as good as ever.  Of course Pittsburgh will always be a thorn in our side.  And that’s just the East.

I agree that we are heating up now.  Still a tough race.  I won’t be confident until they start treating teams in the playoffs like they did last year.

Last year, if the Caps had the lead it was automatic.  If I see that type of killer instinct again then I’ll be happy.

13 hours ago, Springfield said:

Im optimistic, but there’s a lot of good teams out there this season.  Obviously TB.  Trotz has our number.  Boston looks as good as ever.  Of course Pittsburgh will always be a thorn in our side.  And that’s just the East.

I agree that we are heating up now.  Still a tough race.  I won’t be confident until they start treating teams in the playoffs like they did last year.

Last year, if the Caps had the lead it was automatic.  If I see that type of killer instinct again then I’ll be happy.

Agreed.  I was just making the point that they have as good a chance as almost anyone.  To me, a statement like "I'm not confident at all" better applies to the teams like Carolina, Arizona, and Dallas; clubs who are trying to squeak in as wild cards and realistically can hope for no better than pulling off an upset or two.  Obviously the odds are stacked against the Caps, as they are for everyone else (including Tampa, Winnipeg, Calgary, Boston, etc.), and they probably won't win it again this year.  But they've got a shot.

Archived