Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT: Scott Campbell Out as Senior Personnel Executive

OVCChairman

Heard the same thing. Kinda saw this coming with the talking more of Kyle Smith and less of Campbell. I won't say I wanted this, but I was utterly unimpressed with Campbell's drafts (basically every draft before Scot) and I remember the 2008 draft saying that that would be the first real draft I graded our scouts by because they (according to Campbell) had a lot of input into the selections and really the stretch 2008 to 2013 wasn't much better than 2001 - 2007, probably worse, but that's without me doing the legwork right now. I do remember the 2013 draft and hit or miss as a draft overall, I remember seeing interviews about Scott talking about different players we selected and they almost all busted (Macho Harris was his guy).

Grant and Danny are pitching it like its a big loss, but I'm more of the mindset that he's had a chance and we've gotten better with elevating Kyle Smith.

Surprised it took this long considering he essentially got demoted last offseason when Kyle was promoted. 

Never know how to feel about these things because our structure is so damn convoluted it’s hard to tell who does what and, even if we go according to their title, it often comes out that they were undermined/overruled consistently enough to be unable to really assess their work with any level of confidence. Never mind the limited info we’re privy to just by our disposition as fans, especially when it comes to something as “behind the scenes” as scouting. 

Hopefully someone capable or more capable takes his role. I was pleased when we added more scouts last year and bolstered our personnel department, something that was long overdue. Don’t want us falling behind there again. 

That being said, one of the other legitimate criticisms with our personnel department had been that we were too “top heavy”. Basically, too many executives and not enough scouts on the ground. His most recent title just added to that, uhm, top heaviness. “Senior Personnel Executive” just sounded like a title given to him so it doesn’t look like he was demoted or removed from his role. Who knows, but I won’t complain about removing what I think has been an over saturated role. 

I’ll change the thread title here since it’s official. 

2 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Surprised it took this long considering he essentially got demoted last offseason when Kyle was promoted. 

Never know how to feel about these things because our structure is so damn convoluted it’s hard to tell who does what and, even if we go according to their title, it often comes out that they were undermined/overruled consistently enough to be unable to really assess their work with any level of confidence. Never mind the limited info we’re privy to just by our disposition as fans, especially when it comes to something as “behind the scenes” as scouting. 

Hopefully someone capable or more capable takes his role. I was pleased when we added more scouts last year and bolstered our personnel department, something that was long overdue. Don’t want us falling behind there again. 

I’ll change the thread title here since it’s official. 

Thank you....

And if he was the director of scouting through last years draft, and we did what we did this year, I'm feeling ok with it. 

16 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Thank you....

And if he was the director of scouting through last years draft, and we did what we did this year, I'm feeling ok with it. 

Sure, we can only hope really at this point. Not much to go on since we don’t know exactly how involved he was in this draft nor do we have anything resembling results about it yet, though on the surface it looks great. 

Last year his title comes with an asterisk since most involved acknowledge it was Scot’s board they were operating off of for the most part, anyway. 

But I agree, default position here for us should be to feel fine with it. :) 

Subject to change, of course, depending on how he does elsewhere. ;) 

45 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Sure, we can only hope really at this point. Not much to go on since we don’t know exactly how involved he was in this draft nor do we have anything resembling results about it yet, though on the surface it looks great. 

Last year his title comes with an asterisk since most involved acknowledge it was Scot’s board they were operating off of for the most part, anyway. 

But I agree, default position here for us should be to feel fine with it. :) 

Subject to change, of course, depending on how he does elsewhere. ;) 

Its so hard to judge though.  He could end up somewhere like New England where he is LITERALLY getting information and that's it.  Or he could end up in Cleveland where there are apparently 13 people around a table in the NFL war room, so if he's the director of scouting and he's getting information, there's no way to really know how much of an influence he has on a draft pick.... unless he goes somewhere and ends up as a GM or head of player personnel type postion. 

13 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Its so hard to judge though.  He could end up somewhere like New England where he is LITERALLY getting information and that's it.  Or he could end up in Cleveland where there are apparently 13 people around a table in the NFL war room, so if he's the director of scouting and he's getting information, there's no way to really know how much of an influence he has on a draft pick.... unless he goes somewhere and ends up as a GM or head of player personnel type postion. 

Yeah, the assumption was that he’d be given a major role with a title that was fitting. Doesn’t even have to happen right away, he could rise up the ranks in time. So it shouldn’t be that hard to judge.

If he remains in a role as you suggest that’s hard to judge and he’s got enough people above him to question his involvement, well that’ll mean this was the right move in the end. Or, at least, not a negative one. But even that might just mean the organizations he’s with are a hindrance, not necessarily him. So, yeah, tough to judge that as well. 

So he could end up like a John Schneider or another Morocco Brown. We shall see. But it’s always good, if he does find success, to identify why it wasn’t here and to fix what needs to be fixed in order to ensure the support structure is solid enough to allow for people to thrive. 

I really don't know how to feel about this given I really don't know much about Scott Campbell, other than he's made it through a record amount of episodes of Survivor: Ashburn.  I've always been curious about the guy as in "What does he have on these guys that keeps him employed so long?".  Perhaps now we'll find out.

AS of now, only JP Finlay is reporting it on NBC Sports website..

http://es.redskins.com/topic/421913-nbc-sports-redskins-part-ways-with-longtime-front-office-member-per-report/

Which is not really a surprise as others are usually slows to respond to that kind of sites (I'm even wondering if some are really active nowadays! And I'm not taling fansites). Expecting some words from Keim in an hour or two, and the Post late this evening..

But damn, the guy has been here for 20 years...

So the guy have been around the whole Dan Snyder's tenure. He was the common denominator to all these years, more than evil Vinny and Dark Bruce!

That being said, as @Skinsinparadise would say, it's ok, to move on from him. It all depends with whom you're replacing him with.

As my mom would say, You always know what you lose, not what you win.

So the success of this move here will lie in his replacement, as always in the NFL.

Now, considering once again the guy have been around Danny for 20 years... Man he must feel relieved and at ease as of now. Out of all this mess that our FO seems to be... (and btw, it looks more and more that Gruden's influence is growing at Redskins Park).

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

That being said, as @Skinsinparadise would say, it's ok, to move on from him. It all depends with whom you're replacing him with.

As my mom would say, You always know what you lose, not what you win.

It was really hard to make out Scott Campbell's acumen because he really didn't have final say.  But judging all the drafts while he was here -- he struck me average.  Their drafts have not been great but not bad either.  Some drafts good.  Some average.  Some poor.

If you ever hear him in an interview, he comes off like a nice guy/low key but doesn't come off as a dude with much personality -- and i gather at work sometimes you have to sell your side of things.  He doesn't come off to me as a personality that does that -- so he is perfect for strong personality types like Dan, Vinny, Shanny, Bruce because Scott doesn't strike me as the type of guy who will battle back. 

Kyle Smith obviously I don't know from a hole in the wall.  But I love his profile.  He lives and breathes football.  He talks up his father and Scot as mentors.  I like the last two drafts -- he's the SEC guy so you can see his stamp on what they are doing. 

John KeimVerified account @john_keim
FollowingFollowing @john_keim
More

Will say, I do think the Skins are in good shape with Kyle S in charge of the drafts. When you talk to him, can feel the energy/passion for the job. that's a good base to have. He'll keep rising; Skins will need to keep him around.

We want to keep Kyle so we needed to give him a more important role. We did that last year and down graded Scott C (to make room). So he probably had a big pay check for his role last year. That deal expired and it would be bad to offer him a new deal for way less money and a lower role. Also kinda messed up the structure. A former senior manager that needs to take a step back. 

I think is the good move...but the man worked here for 17 years. It's kinda sat to see a guy like that get moved out of the door. I hope the best for him :)

3 minutes ago, superozman said:

Redskins org chart:

ORG.jpg

That is awesome.

As for Campbell I never understood why he remained here for so long.  New management came and went but he stuck around like a **** roach despite average at best performance.  Let's be honest here, we haven't drafted all that well here for a long time and this guy seems to be the common denominator.  

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Let's be honest here, we haven't drafted all that well here for a long time and this guy seems to be the common denominator.  

I said that in a joke, I doubt he really had any influence until lately in drafting. His departure his no big deal really, otherwise I would have expected a little more posting regarding this over the internet, while it's a little bit quiet. Maybe they are still waiting for the official announcement, but so far Finlay didn't posted much, and Riggo's rag are the only other one that posted about it.

Now, if the Redskins FO really wants to put Kyle Smith and Schaeffer at the helm, that won't please Bruce Allen's  ego, and I don't see how they can do that without elevating in any way Doug Williams, as Dan will never fire him.

The NFL tends to think that GM should do both the player evaluation and the financial part of it. While I believe it used to be true in the past, considering the way salary cap evolves, and the financial aspect of it being much more of an importance, I can hardly see how one guy can cover both and be great. You're always better in one more than the other, or you suck at both. In an hyper specialized world, jack-of-all-trades have less value than hyperspecialized guy. You can get that from any NFL roster where you keep a LS that is almost never a backup center...

So the real question is more:

- Can Schaeffer and Smith work and-in-hand as co-GM? One in charge of the player evaluation, and the other of the financial part of it. And then have the best of both worlds?

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

I said that in a joke, I doubt he really had any influence until lately in drafting. His departure his no big deal really, otherwise I would have expected a little more posting regarding this over the internet, while it's a little bit quiet. Maybe they are still waiting for the official announcement, but so far Finlay didn't posted much, and Riggo's rag are the only other one that posted about it.

Now, if the Redskins FO really wants to put Kyle Smith and Schaeffer at the helm, that won't please Bruce Allen's  ego, and I don't see how they can do that without elevating in any way Doug Williams, as Dan will never fire him.

The NFL tends to think that GM should do both the player evaluation and the financial part of it. While I believe it used to be true in the past, considering the way salary cap evolves, and the financial aspect of it being much more of an importance, I can hardly see how one guy can cover both and be great. You're always better in one more than the other, or you suck at both. In an hyper specialized world, jack-of-all-trades have less value than hyperspecialized guy. You can get that from any NFL roster where you keep a LS that is almost never a backup center...

So the real question is more:

- Can Schaeffer and Smith work and-in-hand as co-GM? One in charge of the player evaluation, and the other of the financial part of it. And then have the best of both worlds?

Why can't we just have good football talent evaluators in charge of picking the players?  Why don't we spend everything it takes to have the best scouting department in the league?

Why... Why*

* In my best Nancy Kerrigan voice

Archived