Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trent Williams convert to LG, Will Shields #HOF

skins_warrior

@SLFLSkins

It appears the best way to have the least amount of pressures is not to play in a full season: 

David Bakhtiari 12 pressures allowed in 12 games played

Demar Dotson 14 pressures allowed in 11 games played

Trent Brown 16 pressures allowed in 10 games played

Trent Williams 17 pressures allowed in 10 games played

Duane Brown 17 pressures allowed in 10 games played

Those stats are useless. I'd rather look at pressures per game and then also look at how many times the individual tackle played against a good pass rusher. 

Maybe an easier way to evaluate that list is how good do you think Bakhtiari, Dotson, T. Brown and D. Brown are? 

As a reference point 25 year old Trent Brown was traded to the Patriots this past draft for their 95th pick in this year's draft, but the 49ers also gave up a fifth-rounder (No. 143) in return.

51 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

When Payne doesn't take off at DT, can they give him a shot at TE/ Full Back? 

That's a great idea! I've always wondered why teams bother employing traditional running backs when they could be using defensive linemen instead. It worked for the 1985 Bears right?

Perry.jpg

4 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

That's a great idea! I've always wondered why teams bother employing traditional running backs when they could be using defensive linemen instead. It worked for the 1985 Bears right?

4 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

When Payne doesn't take off at DT, can they give him a shot at TE/ Full Back? 

Some great idea to save a spot on the roster to. hahahaa

15 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

<Video that totally proves a great point>

Some great idea to save a spot on the roster to. hahahaa

That was amazing! I loved how they lined up not one, but two wide bodies in the backfield on that play.

Could we just have an offense with OL and DL at every position except QB, and require the QB to be at least 6'4'/310 lbs?

It's the wave of the future.

Now that offense is sorted I'm looking for ideas on how to replace defensive backs with linemen.

14 hours ago, skinsOLfan said:

I believe Arie will win the starting job at LG and I believe Timon Parris will make the 53 man roster as the swing guard.

Arie's a nice guy but he isn't NFL caliber. He was overmatched last year badly. for him to win the LG job, we would need to see an exponential improvement, and based on what we have seen, he isn't capable of turning it up THAT much.

And to the other.. tell you what,, watching Gruden's offense fail at the goal line as often as it does..I'm alright with lining up a 300 pound smashback to try to shove the OL back a few inches. ANYthing. Our goal line offense is atrocious.

~Bang

4 minutes ago, Bang said:

And to the other.. tell you what,, watching Gruden's offense fail at the goal line as often as it does..I'm alright with lining up a 300 pound smashback to try to shove the OL back a few inches. ANYthing. Our goal line offense is atrocious.

~Bang

When The Scherff is our starting QB all QB sneaks will succeed.

22 hours ago, Bang said:

This guy Sean Walsh is interesting.
He's got a lot of positive press.. lots of people seem to think he should have been drafted relatively high. Could be a factor.

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/sean-walsh-iowa-washington-redskins

~Bang

Agreed. Have been reading up on him as well.  I'd love to also figure out how to get in touch with him on social media, but can't seem to figure it out if anyone wants to point me in the right direction. (Edit: Did find his IG finally). 

I don't talk about it much on ES, but just recently launched a non profit focused on helping those who suffer from depression and I love that this kid has been vocal with sharing his story about battling depression publicly. 

On 5/5/2018 at 8:04 AM, LetThePointsSoar said:

Agreed. Have been reading up on him as well.  I'd love to also figure out how to get in touch with him on social media, but can't seem to figure it out if anyone wants to point me in the right direction. (Edit: Did find his IG finally). 

I don't talk about it much on ES, but just recently launched a non profit focused on helping those who suffer from depression and I love that this kid has been vocal with sharing his story about battling depression publicly. 

First, I love the fact that he was teammates with The Scherff. Both started on the Iowa OL during 2014 and 2015. That kind of familiarity is potentially helpful. If he plays at all like The Scherff we're lucky to have him.

Second, I think it's great that he is so open about his depression. De-stigmatizing mental health is important. The way it stands now some people won't seek help due to the stigma - you're either crazy or somehow flawed, and if you have a mental health issue that might result in psychosis, forget it. Though not all mental health conditions are easily manageable, depression can be. I have major depressive disorder and take medication. I do very well at work and manage to keep active (and married LOL) outside it. If I didn't tell you, you probably would never know. But I will tell you because people just need to get used to the fact that health is health whether physical or mental. 

It helps when people in the public eye share their mental health challenges as Sean Welsh has. Thank you sir!!!

Now, win a spot on the OL and kick some Cowpuke ass. HTTR!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2018 at 1:14 AM, volsmet said:

Without a doubt the best move for the Redskins is to trade Trent. Hes always a blunt from suspension & his injury concerns are mounting. Thats not going to happen because we are dead set on winning between 6 & 9 games for as long as possible.

If we believe Ty can play as well as he did the last time Trent was suspended, then moving Trent to guard is, undoubtedly, the best move for this team. The drop from Trent to Ty wasnt what people anticipated, Ty graded out very well. With a rookie QB Id be more inclined to keep Trent outside, but on this roster, our best 11 is with him at guard. We are far better off with Ty, Trent & Chase than Trent, Arie & Chase. Trent could do great things for Chase.

The ES experts will try to beat you down, don't let them guide you back into the darkness. Most think we should go the Joe Thomas route with Trent, just ride it out rather than invest the asset into our future. Teams are desperate for tackles, we could get a 1st + for Trent. While we are all excited about the draft, we still arent SB contenders....but having two number 1s in next years draft, while Christian learns behind Ty for a year, could set us up with the young talent we need to take that step in the next few years. Trent has been my favorite Redskin since we drafted him. I had him as the #1 OT in that draft while good old Mel had him 5th or 6th. I love the big guy, but I certainly dont trust him not to smoke & the nfl has never been more desperate for tackles. 

If your friend volsmet was running things, you glorious folks would be looking at no less than 5 first round picks in next years freak show of a draft class. We are doing ok, but we are still trapped by expert-think, too many experts who get too few things correct, dictating how too many see things.

Callahans magic with Ty will go under utilized. Guide these folks to the light, Skins Warrior!

tumblr_mgp9ce2kgn1s31fnio1_500.gif

Good points. People forget that 90% of the teams in the conference championships year in and year out have a top 5 running game.

Facts, not fiction folks. 
And the running offense sets the tone for the team, keeps your defense off the field(time of possession), and beats down the other team.
...as well as takes the pressure off the QB, balances out the offense, and make play action much more effective.
I don't mind the criticism or difference of opinion and I'm happy to provide a laugh to people, haha.

I do think people are forgetting or don't recognize how important it is to have interior offensive line men that set the tone. 
I understand LT is a very important position. Its funny hearing how great our LT have been the past 2 decades, meanwhile its also aligned with the worst losing era in Redskins history. Start from the middle and build out is usually rule of thumb...

• 1 month later...

Spent a minute looking for the right thread to bump with this video. Didn't want it getting lost in the Random Thought Thread.

You don't waste an elite OL with these feet on the interior, not until he loses a few steps. He has clearly not lost those steps. 

I mean...HFS. His athleticism is insane. Way too special to put at OG at this point in his career. 

I am starting to become convinced that Trent is having a legit Hall of Fame career. 

Step for step there, and i saw a couple of other videos of other drills in this workout that are just as impressive.

His athleticism is amazing. 

~Bang

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Spent a minute looking for the right thread to bump with this video. Didn't want it getting lost in the Random Thought Thread.

You don't waste an elite OL with these feet on the interior, not until he loses a few steps. He has clearly not lost those steps. 

I mean...HFS. His athleticism is insane. Way too special to put at OG at this point in his career. 

Yeah you dont try to put that into a phone booth.  He's got a skillset that makes him valuable in space... use it.

On 5/1/2018 at 2:01 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

You don't convert the first team All Pro LT to guard just because you have a hole at guard.  Our back up tackles are good, but far lesser players.  If any tackle is to make the switch to guard, it should be one of them.

I actually think that would be a great idea! Who knows one of the back ups could be a diamond in the rough?

8 hours ago, Bang said:

I am starting to become convinced that Trent is having a legit Hall of Fame career. 

Step for step there, and i saw a couple of other videos of other drills in this workout that are just as impressive.

His athleticism is amazing. 

~Bang

Exactly why he'd be awesome at guard! :ols:

1 hour ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Trent Williams is absolutely one of the GREAT players in this league.

Especially after this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl4ViIwy7KA 

I really do not like Mike Shanahan for a variety of reasons. However, I have to just say thanks for drafting Trent Williams. Many people, including many in here, wanted Russell Okung over Trent. While Okung was OK, he is not Trent. 

But let's think about this for a moment. There is no doubt that Trent is one of the best OT in the NFL, really one of the est players. But if as a 5 man unit, if they are better with him LG, I believe that's what you do. Not rehashing the what do we do at LG thread as there is one. I already said I would have preferred they be more active in FA. But since they didn't you have to deal with who you have - unless they see someone opening up before the season starts- hate that plan BTW. 

But where they are now, with the personnel and in response the OPs question, I don;t think you can just close your mind to the idea because of how good a LT Trent is. Don't you want you best line out there, not just a few of your best pieces? 

Archived