Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trent Williams convert to LG, Will Shields #HOF

skins_warrior

At this point,  if we were to draft a blue chip LT, I think we could find a serviceable,  even good G for far less money and spend the difference elsewhere.   Way I see it is,  either he should make $14 M next season as a borderline all pro LT or we should cut ties.   This team has too many holes to pay one person that kind of money (especially if his play can't justify it).  I'd rather spread that money around to positions of need versus employing the world's most expensive mentor.  

Restructure him to what?  Top of the market for a G is still ~$13 M.  If Spencer Long is any indication, we can get a starting caliber G for less than half of Trent's projected 2019 salary. And even if we wanted to stick with Trent, he isn't getting any healthier or younger...

It still doesn't address either position long term (which is the root cause of this discussion).  

Ideally we need to address both positions (LT and LG) through the draft, while we still have a guy that is serviceable at LT (Nsekhe).  I'd be fine with a drafted LT and a FA G, but none of those scenarios work with Trent on the roster next season.   

For now, let's just hope his latest injury is unrelated to the knee he's spent all offseason rehabbing.  

48 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Eagles went from laughing stock to SB champs in 2 years

Who’s looking is important.

That said, the coaching is also important.  

I made a suggestion during the offseason on that we coulda done instead, this entire front office deserves at last one year without Bruce having the final say.

Anyways, back in topic. Lauvao is terrible, Trent is having trouble, how many more games do we go before we make a move like this?

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I made a suggestion during the offseason on that we coulda done instead, this entire front office deserves at last one year without Bruce having the final say.

Anyways, back in topic. Lauvao is terrible, Trent is having trouble, how many more games do we go before we make a move like this?

With this coaching staff?  14.

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

With this coaching staff?  14.

I know, right?  That's too smart, waiting for that question to get asked and it sound like that Nats manager when he said "He's our closer". That guy is unemployed now.

What do you think, though, Move Trent to LG now and Ty Nseke to LT?  Wait to see if Trent to can it back up again?  Me, if that middle of the line gets blown up again against the Packers and we lose, we make that move during the Bye.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I know, right?  That's too smart, waiting for that question to get asked and it sound like that Nats manager when he said "He's our closer". That guy is unemployed now.

What do you think, though, Move Trent to LG now and Ty Nseke to LT?  Wait to see if Trent to can it back up again?  Me, if that middle of the line gets blown up again against the Packers and we lose, we make that move during the Bye.

I’m always a big fan of putting your best team out there.  By all accounts, however, Luavao played well last week.

Bellichick wouldn’t care about position.  He’d make sure his best combo was out there. 

• 8 months later...
On 5/1/2018 at 12:16 AM, skins_warrior said:

Trent is getting paid crazy money. Who could argue forcing him to play LG wouldn’t give us a top 10 rushing offense overnight, especially now that we have Guice. 

We have ave plenty of options at LT. Moses, Nseke, Christian, etc

If Trent really wants superbowls, and to claim Hogs 2.0, why doesn’t his arrs get to work and lead by example as a mauler that sets the tone of each offensive possession by pushing his opponent backwards and opening up gashing holes. It’s a no brainier folks.

We would have been a better football team, phenomenal thread SW.

Archived