What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

• In Kouandjio we trust
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

11 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Last I checked bill Callahan is still coaching up the o line right?... nothing to see here..

Is he though? He signed a 3 year deal in 2015. Or did I miss him getting a contract extension? 

Which games were you watching,I watched the Cowboys, Seahawks, Giants, Cardinals and Arie played well?

Catalina and Bergstrom were not good at all, and like I said if there was someone better on the roster don't you think the team would have started them?

But none of those guys could take the starting job from Arie so if you say he sucked, what does that say about the rest of them because they're worse then him?

2 hours ago, jsharrin55 said:

I remember many thinking Kalis did better than Catalina, but the team wanting the guy with T experience/ability.  

I think you're correct. Kalis seemed to be a much better pure guard, but the numbers crunch at the final roster pushed him out in favor of the more versatile Catalina.  I like Kalis and am not so sure that this year our FO would risk letting him go again.

Arie is the incumbent starter. have an open competition and let the best man win, because when that happens the team wins.

I'm just tired of folks here just dismissing Arie like he's not even on the team and just handing the starting job to whoever their favorite candidate is without earning it.

I think our new draft pick in Geron Christian will take over backup swing tackle position. Thus freeing up Nsekhe so he can kick inside. At 6'8 325 lbs he will be a load inside, and with an off season to learn the position, that could be a great move. Nsekhe and Kouandjio battle it out in training camp for starting left guard spot. Whoever becomes the backup, will backup both guard spots.

Take a look at last falls Roster discussion thread, especially the late August posts

It's easy to forget how when the feathers were flying that Arie was already an afterthought while Kalis was showing something. Sad that his only being good at one position resulted in him being cut. If you're not sure that you agree, read the above thread again. Can we get the OP to add Kalis into the polling options?

12 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

TRUE

As far as moving Scherff.. I'm not sure I want to.  The dude is a pro bowl talent at RG.  Why mess with that?  Obviously you want the best 5 on the field but if it aint broke....

Plus, I'd rather have a developmental guy flanked by Trent Williams than Morgan Moses. 

Except it is broke...we were 28th in rush offense...

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wish we didn't lose Austin Reiter.

Lol

44 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

I think our new draft pick in Geron Christian will take over backup swing tackle position. Thus freeing up Nsekhe so he can kick inside. At 6'8 325 lbs he will be a load inside, and with an off season to learn the position, that could be a great move. Nsekhe and Kouandjio battle it out in training camp for starting left guard spot. Whoever becomes the backup, will backup both guard spots.

This is reasonable. Except Kouj blows IMO. There has to be a creative way to find a guard in FA/trade.

49 minutes ago, skinsOLfan said:

Arie is the incumbent starter. have an open competition and let the best man win, because when that happens the team wins.

I'm just tired of folks here just dismissing Arie like he's not even on the team and just handing the starting job to whoever their favorite candidate is without earning it.

Arie is the incumbent? Are you being serious hahha...he sucks. Yeah by default depth chart he is incumbent ...in actuality he needs to be cut..

9 hours ago, justice98 said:

I just hope they don't treat LG as a problem just to throw cheap and available bodies at.  And at this point, all we've got is an assortment of late round/undrafted FA/journeymen competing for the spot.  Here's hoping some capable FA vet shakes out in the later stages of the offseason.

I agree with the tone.

in my honest opinion you get a top 5 run blocking LG in NFL in here we have a top 10 running game overnight.

Trent Williams is getting PAID insane money. I say give him some tough love and force him to play LG and build up the mantra of him symbolizing a conversion within himself as a true leader of hogs 2.0 and he can be the next William Shields. #HOF come on Trent. We are talking Super Bowls with you at LG. I know it!

1 hour ago, skins_warrior said:

At 284 lbs...hoping he can add 20 lbs and make it happen. Cautiously optimistic. He started 48 games at Iowa. Dudes versatile.

Welsh was 306 lbs at the combine. BTW he played both left and right guard and was moved to center last year but Iowa had Daniels there so they started him at right guard to put their top 5 line-men into the starting line-up.  He was rated as a 4-6 rounder by most pubs and if he had been drafted most of you would be saying that he was going to be the starter.  Not saying he will be the starter but it wouldn't surprise me. 

May have an Iowa OL and an Alabama DL developing.

It would be a wonderful thing if our starting Left Guard is currently on the roster.  I seriously doubt it will be a rookie and it scares me a little that we'd have a 1 year center paired with a rookie LG.  Now that teams have tape on Roullier and his weaknesses are known, he may struggle this season - especially if there is a rookie next to him.

The current available free agent LG is lead by 35 year old Jahri Evans.  The next two PFF ranked guards are Brian Schwenke and dare I say Josh LeRibeus.  Way down the list is Luke Joeckel and even further down and 2nd from the bottom is our very own Shawn Lauvao.

If we are to go the FA path, I'd probably get Jahri Evans on a one year deal, hope one of our own shines in camp, then draft a guard next year in the 1st or 2nd round. Another path is to find a trade partner with one of the teams that drafted a 1st or 2nd round guard in this years draft.  It's reasonable to believe one of these teams would like to trade an overpaid and underperforming veteran. I prefer a trade because we are so late in the LG game, I'd be afraid of losing out to another desperate team in a bidding war if their was a LG released to free agency.

The teams that drafted a guard are (highlighted names are starters IAW ESPN 2017 depth charts):

Colts - drafted two guards: Quinten Nelson (1st) and Braden Smith (2nd).  Which guard currently on their roster could we trade for?  Jeremy Vujnovich (on the current roster as a tackle), Joe Haeg, Keyshawn Bond, Mark Glowinski, Isaiah Williams, or LeRaven Clark (on the roster as a tackle).

Detroit drafted Center Frank Ragnow but is projected to be guard I read somewhere.  They have these guards on their roster:  Joe Dahl, TJ Lang, Kenny Wigeons, Graham Glasgow.

Cleveland drafted Austin Corbette in the 2nd round.  Guards on the Cleveland roster: Joel Bitonio, Kevin Zeitler,  Spencer Drango. There's also some guy named Austin Reiter (name sounds familiar).

NY Giants drafted Will Hernandez.  Guards on their roster are: John Jerry, Patrick Omameh, Damien Mama, Jon Halapio, Ethan Cooper.

Dallas drafted Connor Williams in the 2nd round.  Guards on their roster are: Zack Martin, Chaz Green, Joe Loony. Starter Jonathon Cooper signed with the 49ers.

Conclusion - Between the available FA now and potential trade partners - the list is mighty slim.  Especially when two of the teams in my list are teams in the East who I seriously doubt would be trade partners.  We may have to pluck a starter from another team that didn't add a guard in either the 1st or 2nd round; but I bet the price will be very high.  As much as we needed a DT and RB in this year's draft, I'm starting to think signing a FA RB like CJ Anderson before the draft and drafting the best available guard in the 2nd round of the draft  may have been wiser.  But what do I know?  Maybe @Veryoldschool has a point?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Kalis

Kalis was released by Colts based on injury. The skins picked him back up and put him on the roster. So he was likely hurt to some degree, so it's likely the reason (combined with half a season on another team) that he wasn't taking over for Arie. He didn't play any snaps, so it seems to me the skins held on so they wouldn't lose him again.

12 hours ago, Hogs 1991 said:

Why don’t we try Sean Welsh at Left Guard ?

Watch his tape... he's on the ground a whole lot at Iowa.  Besides being underweight (289 lbs) he also appears to have rather bad balance.   I think the Redskins expect for a serviceable LG to shake loose from another team before training camp.  

What happens if Scherff goes down? 

Kouandijo-Roullier-Nsekhe = totally change your game plan, not in a good way 

What if Roullier goes down? Im not sold on Roullier even being average starter quality but I am sold on Bergstrom being a 1 game bandaid at best. 

We need a starting LG so that Kouandijo can be the swing backup G and Ty can be the swing backup T. 

6 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

What happens if Scherff goes down? 

Kouandijo-Roullier-Nsekhe = totally change your game plan, not in a good way 

What if Roullier goes down? Im not sold on Roullier even being average starter quality but I am sold on Bergstrom being a 1 game bandaid at best. 

We need a starting LG so that Kouandijo can be the swing backup G and Ty can be the swing backup T. 

Bergstrom started more than one game last year and was adequate in a line that was wrecked

40 minutes ago, carex said:

Bergstrom started more than one game last year and was adequate in a line that was wrecked

Yeah, I agree Bergstrom was adequate for spot duty and I dont have a problem with him stepping in to finish a game or start here and there if needed. 

TBH, my problem with no real LG is that Im still skeptical of Roullier being the long term answer at C. I would feel better about going forward w Roullier if we had a better situation next to him. 

Im hopeful that a decent interior OL vet will be cut and we can plug and play for next year on a 2-4M type deal. No one splashy or costly. 

20 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Yeah, I agree Bergstrom was adequate for spot duty and I dont have a problem with him stepping in to finish a game or start here and there if needed. 

TBH, my problem with no real LG is that Im still skeptical of Roullier being the long term answer at C. I would feel better about going forward w Roullier if we had a better situation next to him. 

Im hopeful that a decent interior OL vet will be cut and we can plug and play for next year on a 2-4M type deal. No one splashy or costly. 

why are you skeptical about Roullier?  THere's no real reason to be in my opinion

On 5/1/2018 at 12:09 AM, skins_warrior said:

Trent Williams is getting PAID insane money. I say give him some tough love and force him to play LG and build up the mantra of him symbolizing a conversion within himself as a true leader of hogs 2.0 and he can be the next William Shields. #HOF come on Trent. We are talking Super Bowls with you at LG. I know it!

Hogs 1.0: Joe Jacoby was moved from LT to LG later in his career so there is precedent in DC for this type of move. I'm sure Silverback would do it - whatever it takes!

13 hours ago, carex said:

why are you skeptical about Roullier?  THere's no real reason to be in my opinion

He was clearly a step up from anyone else at C last season. That was his rookie campaign. I'm expecting him to get better and be our long-term C. He's not the monster The Scherff is, but he does have a similar style of play. Between him maturing and the addition of a better LG (or the improvement of one of the current contenders) we could have a pretty amazing OL unit this coming season. I still think had we avoided the ridiculous string of injuries our OL would have been much better. At least now I feel we have better depth.

13 hours ago, carex said:

Small sample size. Hes started 6 games or so. 

He exceeded expectations coming off the bench last year as a 6th round rookie thrust into a starting role. Expectations were modest and achievable, (1) dont get hurt bc we were MASH, and (2) just try not to get pushed back too much. 

This year, as the penciled in starter, expectations are higher and I want to see if he can make the next step. Entering camp working with the 1st unit should help alot and he has good size, game didnt seem to fast for him.

Honestly, Im just worried about injuries. In a perfect world, Roullier (like Long who also played G in college) would be the swing backup for LG-C-RG. That would require us to have added a LG and C. I dont expect a pro bowler at every position and think G and C are positions you can be successful with average talent, but .. I guess I dont like entering the season with 2 unknowns as starters on the O line. Roullier is much better than Arie but Roullier still has to prove it and take that next step. Perhaps Kalis is the answer and be "last years Roullier" for us this year and bail us out a bit.  

Getting a starting caliber LG would make me feel better, we would at least be able to absorb an injury better. 

I guess I want only 1 question mark on the O line entering week 1 and I still see Roullier as a question mark, although he is much less a question mark than Arie or Kalis or Bergstrom. 

I think Im being too picky and perhaps paranoid that last seasons O line injuries could de-rail another season. 

Archived