Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Trey Quinn WR SMU

Wildbunny

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

2.  He was the beneficiary of Sutton being doubled.  Yes, he was.  But how often would we expect him to be doubled as our slot corner?

Wait, he can play corner, too ?

Then, nevermind the doubters and naysayers ! He's a lock for the team, if he can play BOTH sides of the ball, really well ! :P

He's both our next Crowder AND our next Fuller !

26 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Wasn’t looking to debate the player guys just posted what my own research said about him. Hopefully he is a great player for this team well at least that’s what I hope for him

Certainly your prerogative to debate or not, though as you know, offering a differing/unpopular opinion often leads to refutation... especially if you are saying things like ‘most believe x’ and ‘most believe y’.  

For my part, if you hadn’t said “he was a disappointment”, and that ‘most’ essentially don’t believe he can play in the NFL, I would have nodded my head to most of your points and moved on, lol.  

As I said before though, I’m not coming at this from a “how dare you question a move the Redskins made” angle... I agree with the dose of reality you were trying to toss into the discussion.  Unreasonably high expectations make it more likely fans turn on a player, particularly a rookie.  

On 5/1/2018 at 12:37 AM, Anselmheifer said:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jamison-crowder?id=2552415

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/trey-quinn?id=32462018-0002-5601-808c-2275391f0ccd

I found his combine numbers interesting in comparison to Crowder. Quinn's weakness is perceived to be his speed, but he beat Crowder in every metric except vertical leap. And he was super productive. I think he has a good chance to make the 53 man roster and contribute. 

Interesting, Crowder with his 8 3/4" hands, vs Quinn with his 10.5" mitts. Maybe that's part of the reason why Crowder fumbled so many times last season.. small hands..

19 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Wasn’t looking to debate the player guys just posted what my own research said about him. Hopefully he is a great player for this team well at least that’s what I hope for him

You weren't allowed in the cult of colt thread, we're you?  :ols:

16 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Cooley was highly praising Trey this morning. 

I caught that. You would have had no idea this guy was the last pick in the entire draft. Cooley even said he expects him to eventually play 40% of our offensive snaps. If somehow that works out we got an absolute steal (or have a woeful WR corps) 

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I caught that. You would have had no idea this guy was the last pick in the entire draft. Cooley even said he expects him to eventually play 40% of our offensive snaps. If somehow that works out we got an absolute steal (or have a woeful WR corps) 

Yeah, that seemed like a stretch. I assume Cooley meant with injuries but looking at snap count for last year, it might actually be doable. 

2017:

Doctson   74%

Crowder   66

Grant        60

Pryor        37

Quick         7

Harris         7

2018:

Doctson

Crowder

Richardson

???????

If Quinn beats out Quick and Harris as our No. 4, and if Doc/Crowder/Rich miss a game here and there collectively or one suffers a season ender ... Quinn could very well be in there for 40% by seasons end. 

3 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Yeah, that seemed like a stretch. I assume Cooley meant with injuries but looking at snap count for last year, it might actually be doable. 

If Quinn beats out Quick and Harris as our No. 4, and if Doc/Crowder/Rich miss a game here and there collectively or one suffers a season ender ... Quinn could very well be in there for 40% by seasons end. 

I didn't get the impression he was factoring in injuries, but maybe I didn't pick up on that. 

On 5/9/2018 at 2:23 PM, skinny21 said:

Certainly your prerogative to debate or not, though as you know, offering a differing/unpopular opinion often leads to refutation... especially if you are saying things like ‘most believe x’ and ‘most believe y’.  

For my part, if you hadn’t said “he was a disappointment”, and that ‘most’ essentially don’t believe he can play in the NFL, I would have nodded my head to most of your points and moved on, lol.  

As I said before though, I’m not coming at this from a “how dare you question a move the Redskins made” angle... I agree with the dose of reality you were trying to toss into the discussion.  Unreasonably high expectations make it more likely fans turn on a player, particularly a rookie.  

Whoa, okay so the disappointment comment bothered you?

Quinn was a top 15 ranked football player coming from High School to college in it's top 500 of all recruits. In High School he caught a state-record 357 passes for a national-best 6,566 and 70 touchdowns. After two years in college he had caught a total of 22 catches, 276 receiving yards, 0 TD's at LSU. If you don't think that was a disappointment for a top 15 High School recruit then what makes a disappointment to you? 

As for the comment that most writers don't think he can play in the NFL:

NFL.com - Grade 5.25 (Backup or special teams player)

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/trey-quinn?id=32462018-0002-5601-808c-2275391f0ccd

Walter Football - Ranked 29th of all eligible receivers this draft 

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018WR.php

PlayerProfiler - Compares him to Dwayne Harris

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/trey-quinn/

Again I was simply posting some things I read after they drafted him. I have no idea if he can play or not. I was just posting another point of view. I hope he can play. I hope he contributes. Only time will tell

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

Bothered me?  Haha, no.  Just seemed like you left out some of the nuance, like him getting contacts, his poor qb play, the receivers ahead of him, his impressive  success rate (small sample size though) in 2015, the receivers LSU brought in before his transfer, etc. 

Quinn was a top 15 ranked football player coming from High School to college in it's top 500 of all recruits. In High School he caught a state-record 357 passes for a national-best 6,566 and 70 touchdowns. After two years in college he had caught a total of 22 catches, 276 receiving yards, 0 TD's at LSU. If you don't think that was a disappointment for a top 15 High School recruit then what makes a disappointment to you? 

As for the comment that most writers don't think he can play in the NFL:

NFL.com - Grade 5.25 (Backup or special teams player)

Walter Football - Ranked 29th of all eligible receivers this draft 

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018WR.php

PlayerProfiler - Compares him to Dwayne Harris

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/trey-quinn/

Again I was simply posting some things I read after they drafted him. I have no idea if he can play or not. I was just posting another point of view. I hope he can play. I hope he contributes. Only time will tell

Longshot to start?  Sure, that’s fair.  Can’t break coverage/get open?  I’m not sure that’s at all fair.  

Again, if you had said he didn’t show much at LSU, or that some don’t see him as a starter in the league, I get it.  So it was the qualifying language that drew my eye.  I wasn’t responding to say you were wrong, and as I said, I agree that we need to look at him realistically.

The biggest things he has going for him is potential ST play and Jay banging the table for him.  

31 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Bothered me?  Haha, no.  Just seemed like you left out some of the nuance, like him getting contacts, his poor qb play, the receivers ahead of him, his impressive  success rate (small sample size though) in 2015, the receivers LSU brought in before his transfer, etc. 

There are people out there who would look at what you said and think....hmmmm maybe there was something to that. There are people like me out there who see a top 15 recruit producing those numbers for LSU and see disappointment. It's an eye of the beholder thing. There are always reasons for why a guy busts, but even with reasons they are still disappointments. To me that's a pretty huge fail. 

31 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Longshot to start?  Sure, that’s fair.  Can’t break coverage/get open?  I’m not sure that’s at all fair.  

As for me saying that, trust me. Lots of opinions out there wonder if he can get open. Some of the links I posted mentioned this. Some people say they worry his first move to get open would be a foul in the NFL. There is more of this opinion out there if you want to look for it.

I believe based on your replies to me that you are responding like this because I brought some logic into this discussion and I am just not drinking the kool aid.

I never drink the kool aid. That's who I am. Not everyone agrees with my opinions. That's cool man. I do hope this guy does well but a player has to do a lot more than just get selected for me to be a fan. I don't think that the NFL talent evaluators are idiots. Time and time again there is some late round pick that some people go gaga over with the idea that the real experts were wrong. Guys like Colt Brennan, Matt Jones, Keith Marshall, Lache Seastrunk, and on and on. Now it's Trey Quinn. Will he be good? Sure I hope so. Am I sure of it? Nope. Prove it

I'm not looking to debate what others have written about him. If you have a problem with that take it up with Walter Football, NFL.com, the Sporting News, CNN, etc. I've wasted way too much time already. You can have the last word. Take care

7 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Cooley was highly praising Trey this morning. 

I heard it.  When Cooley falls in love with a player it tends to pan out -- exception T. Pryor.  So maybe that's a good omen.  Cooley isn't afraid to beat players up.  It was funny to hear him talk about Apke -- he more or less said he's an athlete but he can't really play right now -- takes bad angles, bad instincts, bad tackler.  Some say Cooley was rough on Nicholson, too last year.  That's true.  But I recall his film review of Nicholson and he was actually mixed about him -- said he can tackle really well and deal with the ball in front of him but thought he was absolutely lost in coverage.  On Apke he didn't seem to highlight anything aside from his athleticism and special teams potential. 

Only making that point because he's no Larry Michael as being a pollyanna about players.   And Cooley is totally in love with Quinn.  Thinks he's polished, knows how to get open, total gamer, good hands. 

Clearly from Doug Williams we learned that Jay had a man crush on the dude and wanted to take him earlier.  

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I didn't get the impression he was factoring in injuries, but maybe I didn't pick up on that. 

No you are 100% right. He wasnt implying he was factoring in injuries. That was me assuming if he was pressed on it, he might put a qualifier or condition on it to walk back from it a little bit. A 7th rounder taking 40% of O snaps is a pretty bold statement. 

There are people out there who would look at what you said and think....hmmmm maybe there was something to that. There are people like me out there who see a top 15 recruit producing those numbers for LSU and see disappointment. It's an eye of the beholder thing. There are always reasons for why a guy busts, but even with reasons they are still disappointments. To me that's a pretty huge fail. 

I think we’re getting hung up on the ‘disappointment’ angle.  That’s just what caught my eye (one of the big things).  Would have thought after two years of being a disappointment to his coaches they would have asked him to leave.  But yes, pretty disappointing to not live up to the ‘top 15 in the nation’ billing.  

As for me saying that, trust me. Lots of opinions out there wonder if he can get open. Some of the links I posted mentioned this. Some people say they worry his first move to get open would be a foul in the NFL. There is more of this opinion out there if you want to look for it.

Right, but do most people hold that opinion?

I can find multiple sources that think Payne is a top 15 pick.  I can find multiple sources saying he’s not even a first rounder.  But do most believe one of those two?  Probably not.  

I believe based on your replies to me that you are responding like this because I brought some logic into this discussion and I am just not drinking the kool aid.

This makes me question if you actually read my posts.  

I mean, I went out of my way to make it as clear as I could that I agree that he has more warts than just being a 1 year wonder.  I also said I appreciate you attempting to temper expectations, because it’s easy for fans to turn on players when expectations are raised too high.  

I'm not looking to debate what others have written about him. If you have a problem with that take it up with Walter Football, NFL.com, the Sporting News, CNN, etc. I've wasted way too much time already. You can have the last word. Take care

You’re too kind, thank you.  Sorry I wasted your time.  

I have no no idea how he’ll perform or if he even makes the team, but he seems like a fit for Jay’s ‘Ryan Grant’ role.  A dude that plays smart, runs routes well and has very good hands.  I do worry about some of his metrics like explosion.  To me, this is a big part of what allows receivers to separate.  I’m a bit less concerned about him getting off the line because 1) he might be put in the slot, and 2) there’s an element of coaching/experience involved there.  

Hoping for the best from him, but I’m looking at him as a potential STer for now.  He’ll have to show a lot (which I’m not sure he’ll have the opportunity to do) before I’m ready to consider him as a replacement for Crowder.  Although he could become more, I think his ‘realistic’ ceiling is as a #4.  A guy you trust to backup multiple spots, but not a guy you want starting much if you can help it.  

10 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Quinn wasnt ranked in the top 15 by anyone. 

Archived