Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama

PCS

38 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Happy about this guy.  It addressed a need, hopefully we are stout up front and we can get better against the run.  

wut.

Not sure what your concern is. Your simple one word "wut" after what appears to be an unrelated statement to the question or definition above is not very descriptive. 

Someone asked a question so I answered it. Do you disagree or just making a random statement? 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

It's just inside the lineman but not fully in the gap. For example, a 2 tech lines up straight across the G. A 1 tech plays directly in between the C and G. A 2i is not fully in the 1 tech position but is not lined directly on top of the G either. They "shade" the inside shoulder of the lineman, this case the G. It would be the same for 4i who would shade the inside shoulder, or C side of the T but not directly in a 3 Tech position. 

Thanks. I never knew there was a technique for inside the shoulder.  The more I learn, the more football amazes me.  I played a mere month in HS and was blown away by all the terminology and complex plays so I quit before the school year started.  Thus began my rugby career - much simpler as it is basically smear-the-queer.

3 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Is he a 4-3 DT?

If so then how does he fit in a 3-4? 

Baffled

Don't be baffled... He is not a 4-3 DT. He played the 0 technique at Bama. He is just capable of playing almost every spot. Very athletic kid for this size. 

Was kinda down right after we picked, but the more you read and see on tape is that the god honest truth is, that we need a Nose badly. All the talent in the world won't do anything if we get run on for 150 a game with Zeke and Barkley in the division. Was it need over BPA... a little, but I don't think this was too big of a reach. I hope this will work out and with him ioannidis and Allen we have a good to even very good Dline, with some pretty solid LB behind

5 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Is he a 4-3 DT?

If so then how does he fit in a 3-4? 

Baffled

From what I heard. 

Hes a 4-3 interior who also lined up over center. Plus like 60%+ of our D snaps are in nickel .. I consider us a nickel base, like a lot of teams these days. 

Question is whether he is a 2 down player or whether he can also takes snaps on a passing 3rd and long down. 

My impression is that he can play anywhere on the line.  

2 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

From what I heard. 

Hes a 4-3 interior who also lined up over center. Plus like 60%+ of our D snaps are in nickel .. I consider us a nickel base, like a lot of teams these days. 

Question is whether he is a 2 down player or whether he can also takes snaps on a passing 3rd and long down. 

Great post, my understanding as well. He has tape where he for sure is a 3 down DL... some where he's "just" an amazing run stopper.  Looking at the college playoffs he displayed great abilities to rush the passer and Tomsula will help tremendously here. Being optimistic I think he can at least play some 3rd downs and we can and did get creative with passing packages anyway (e.g. Allen at DT and an extra rushing LB on the outside) 

I'm concerned about his lack of numbers at bama, but seems like a good kid. Hopefully he does well for us. 

2 things are for certain though, he's a hard guy to move off his spot, and with a year of tomsula coaching and nfl strength and conditioning, the guy could very well be our wilfork.. an immovable rock in the middle for years to come.

Second, there's no denying he's got an elite first step. I foresee him blowing many plays up because he can shoot that gap between the g and c quickly, and they're gonna have a hell of a time trying to hold him back once he's in the gap. If you watch bama games often times he's the first guy moving.. and he's also the biggest. I'm excited to see what he will do this year.

3 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

I'm concerned about his lack of numbers at bama, but seems like a good kid. Hopefully he does well for us. 

2 things are for certain though, he's a hard guy to move off his spot, and with a year of tomsula coaching and nfl strength and conditioning, the guy could very well be our wilfork.. an immovable rock in the middle for years to come.

Second, there's no denying he's got an elite first step. I foresee him blowing many plays up because he can shoot that gap between the g and c quickly, and they're gonna have a hell of a time trying to hold him back once he's in the gap. If you watch bama games often times he's the first guy moving.. and he's also the biggest. I'm excited to see what he will do this year.

I think your two points actually are great points as to why he's worth the 13th pick.

immovable rock in the middle with an elite first step?? YES PLEASE

as for the numbers at bama, I'd argue the numbers COULD be a bit skewed/misleading. The talent around him is not comparable to any other defense in college football. No one really tries to run a lot against them and I'd assume even passing plays are designed to be more quick passes, giving a big guy like him very little time to get to the QB. His numbers aren't amazing, but DT might be the one position you can overlook this for ability shown on tape

Welcome Da'Ron Payne! Beast :)

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21985986/alabama-crimson-tide-daron-payne-proves-no-ordinary-big-man

Cristobal took it a step further: "There's nothing like him out there. He's the 100th percentile. You don't see it. If you wanted to play him at tight end, you could flip him over and play tight end. If you had him drop 40 pounds, he could probably step in there at middle linebacker. This guy, there's nothing he can't do."

The big man can truly do it all.

He can run you over, run around you or jump over you. And as we found out against Clemson, he can even catch a pass or two.

Da'Ron Payne isn't your ordinary big man.

He's not just big and strong and athletic. He's driven and he's determined, and there's no doubt where that comes from.

It's in his DNA, all right. It's his mother's strength to keep showing up in the stands.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018dpayne.php

Payne was superb, showcasing his freakish speed and athleticism in 2017. The junior was a tremendous run defender all year, shutting down his gap and keeping teams from running the ball on Alabama. When the Crimson Tide let him rush the passer, Payne demonstrated the ability to collapse the pocket and pressure the quarterback as well. At the NFL Scouting Combine, Payne was excellent with an electric 40 time of 4.91 seconds, including a very fast 10-yard split of 1.67 seconds. 

The heavy nose tackle is shockingly explosive and agile for a big defender. Payne uses his burst to get into the chest of blockers and reset the line of scrimmage. As a run defender, Payne is superb. He stuffs his gap and is impossible to move. Even double teams are ineffective as Payne's upper body strength and ability to anchor holds his ground well at the point of attack. With his developed technique, Payne will shed blocks and flow down the line to make tackles on backs. 

It is very rare to say or think that a nose tackle flies around the field, but that is the case with Payne. In 2017, there were plays on which I saw him fly to the sideline to get in on tackles on wide receiver screens. His explosiveness and speed to cover ground is shocking. His motor is steady, and he shows real effort to get in on plays away from him. 

In the pass rush, Payne can flash an ability to charge down the pocket and get after the quarterback. He has the speed to fire by blockers and a powerful bull rush to collapse the pocket. Payne won't be a big-time sack producer in the NFL, but he should contribute with taking away the ability to step up in the pocket and chase the quarterback off their landmark. Payne also can eat up blocks to free up other rushers. 

Payne projects to the NFL as an impact-making nose tackle in a 3-4 or 4-3 defense. In the 2018 NFL Draft, he is expected to go in the top-20 picks. Some sources think that Payne could crack the top 10.

Can't be too unhappy with a solid dlineman. If he and Allen can mesh we might be able to stop a runner now and then.

As a counterpick to Barkley and Elliot it definitely helps.

Frankly it might end up being great.  I mean, 2 of our 3 division opponents are facing QB or receiver problems, while investing heavily in RBs.  If he upgrades our run defense significantly, he could be a huge boon against the Boys and Giants.

Saw a couple of mock drafts yesterday that had the Redskins picking Payne or Vea up with the 13th pick so did some research on both of them. Decided I wouldn't be unhappy at all if the Redskins drafted either one of them. Was pleasantly surprised when Payne's name as announced as the pick. :) 

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

From what I heard. 

He played 0 tech most of the time but also lined up at 1, 2i, 2 and even some 3. i think he even moved out to 4i and 4 some - but I would have to go back and confirm that. Either way he can play any interior line position. Against the run he is very stout. No arguments with his abilities there. Great get off, strong and powerful. Great pursuit of the play if it's in his general direction - although when it's away from him he tends to slow it down. 

My concern and many others is on pass rush, while he has a quick first step he comes out upright a lot which allows oline to get under him and into his chest slowing his progress, even pushing him back some. I also saw some times when this happened he stopped on the play once he got stood up. 

In fairness, much of that should be able to be coach-able - and I do respect our coaching staff in terms of developing players. That's why to me this was not a "bad" pick like others believe, just OK. I just believe there were more complete players available. 

But it is what it is. He is ours now so I am rooting for him to be a perennial pro-bowler and with the others guys we have now get this D to another level. It will take a lot of pressure off the offense of the D can make some plays. We have had so few short fields and seen so many leads evaporate. If he is a part of changing that I will be ecstatic. 

1 hour ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Welcome Da'Ron Payne! Beast :)

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21985986/alabama-crimson-tide-daron-payne-proves-no-ordinary-big-man

Cristobal took it a step further: "There's nothing like him out there. He's the 100th percentile. You don't see it. If you wanted to play him at tight end, you could flip him over and play tight end. If you had him drop 40 pounds, he could probably step in there at middle linebacker. This guy, there's nothing he can't do."

The big man can truly do it all.

He can run you over, run around you or jump over you. And as we found out against Clemson, he can even catch a pass or two.

Da'Ron Payne isn't your ordinary big man.

He's not just big and strong and athletic. He's driven and he's determined, and there's no doubt where that comes from.

It's in his DNA, all right. It's his mother's strength to keep showing up in the stands.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018dpayne.php

Wait, Payne can play TE ???

Can he stay healthy too ?

Archived