Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

After this ongoing debacle, I want to hear no excuses for Jay.

No Bruce.

No Dan.

No Injuries.

None of those things forgive an unimaginative, predictable game plan, poor preparation, pit situations, mistakes, penalties, etc.

Just awful preparation and coaching all the way around.

Top 5 in negative runs and holding penalties.

Just absolutely horrific.

And 98% on Jay.

Another embarrassing performance with Jay at the helm. Penalties, drops, uncovered receivers in the EZ,  giving up 80 yd runs, 3 and outs. Can't even pick up a 3rd and 2. Barkley with 160 yards in the 1st half. Ha ha afraid of taking on Barkley. Drop after drop.  Sacks by a scrub Giant team. Jay schooled by a loosing 1st year coach. Making Eli look like Montana. 31 points against us by halftime. Please fire this turd at halftime. Please clean house! Please loose the rest of your games so we can get a QB. Ashamed to be a Redskins fan. 

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

After this ongoing debacle, I want to hear no excuses for Jay.

No Bruce.

No Dan.

No Injuries.

None of those things forgive an unimaginative, predictable game plan, poor preparation, pit situations, mistakes, penalties, etc.

Just awful preparation and coaching all the way around.

Top 5 in negative runs and holding penalties.

Just absolutely horrific.

And 98% on Jay.

Excuses is what Jay will use to stave off being fired. Bruce may get fired.  It could be the other way; Dan keeps Bruce. I don't see Dan firing both.

What gets me is what the announcers reported a couple time. The impression they got from going to practice was that of a dispirited, defeated team that had given up. What we are seeing on offense is a dispirited, glass jawed team that has given up. Crowder's drops, Reed's drop, etc. I'm not giving the benefit of the doubt. It's a lack of concentration.

I expected this to be a hard game. I expected the Giants to be recorded as a loss. The D showed a little life. Adrian Peterson showed some fight. Overall though, we're seeing no creativity, no guts, no toughing it out. The only way the Redskins would have won today was by being the tougher, disciplined team that got lucky. Instead, they're soft, undisciplined, and are sloppy on the field.

I put that on the coach.

It's one thing to lose. It's another to not show up to play.

I've defended Jay plenty.  Bruce and Dan are by a mile what's wrong with this team IMO.  But I'll say this game is a terrible look for Jay.  Tarik el Bashir said he was at an early practice last week and there was no energy to it.  Then, we heard about Peterson and Trent having to motivate them team because players where whining about an extra practice -- then we got the TV team saying visiting both teams, you'd think the playoffs were on the line for the Giants not the Redskins.

I can blame Dan-Bruce for plenty and yeah there is plenty about the weaknesses of the roster that are squarely on them -- but Jay and Manusky are to me part of this debacle today.  The next half should be interesting -- the description of Jay is he's a laid back dude until you push him too far and he loses it.  I'd put money he screamed at the team at half time -- will it make a difference?  Will see.

He has to be gone. He probably knows the whole QB situation is screwed for 12-24 months. Dare say he won't fancy the fight. Might fancy a job in Cincy or somewhere. We'll get stories seeping out of major fractions within the FO. The Foster claim off waivers will get dragged out the cupboard blah blah blah.

Plus, he's an average HC anyway. Get shot. Not sure it makes us better anytime soon though.

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The next half should be interesting -- the description of Jay is he's a laid back dude until you push him too far and he loses it.  I'd put money he screamed at the team at half time -- will it make a difference?  Will see.

No change so far.

Gruden gave up after Colt went down and the entire team realized it.  

It led to low energy practices and having to have Trent and AP try and motivate the room.

Joe Theisman and John Riggins used to tell a story about Coach Gibbs part I where they would walk in on Tuesday morning and this whole plan would be laid out to take advantage of every weakness of their opponent.

I can only guess that players come in and see the same plan that doesn’t work week after week, eventually they tune it out.

i think it finally happened.

BtW, scapegoating Sanchez and going to Johnson is a bad look for a Gruden also.

General note: Mobile QB Alex Smith almost never rolled out. Mobile QB Colt McCoy almost never rolled out. Mark Sanchez almost never ruled out. Mobile QB Josh Johnson comes in game 13 and... hey let's move the pocket!

Who says these coaches never come up with any adjustments.

7 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Pfft. Ssphhhhhhh. Aaugghh. Was looking at keeping jay and getting a GM, but after this heartless retreat cut the ****. 

The biggest problem with cutting Jay is Alex Smith's injury and contract. I think the only chance of getting a good HC prospect next year is if a defensive minded coach falls in love with our line.

I think the goal may just be to suck as hard as possible in 2019 with Jay, try to go 2-14 or worse, and grab the best QB in the 2020 draft.

Archived