Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Serial Bomber Terrorizing Austin, Texas

Dan T.

I didn't see a thread about this mysterious criminal wave...

After fourth Austin explosion, police warn of sophisticated ‘serial bomber’

by Eva Ruth Moravec, Meagan Flynn and Mark Berman March 19 at 11:34 AM

The explosion in an Austin neighborhood Sunday night had “similarities” with the three bombs that detonated in the Texas capital earlier this month, leading authorities to determine that they are dealing with a “serial bomber” terrorizing the city, police said Monday.

The latest blast, which injured two men who were walking along the road in a residential area, plunged the city further into a frightening mystery that has forced residents to remain locked in their homes as investigators scoured the area for answers.

The explosion on Sunday night was apparently set off by a tripwire on the road, leading police to believe the bomber or bombers had “a higher level of sophistication, a higher level of skill” than authorities initially believed, said Brian Manley, the interim Austin police chief. He also said this explosion marked an apparent shift in tactics after the three previous devices were left at people’s homes.

“What we have seen now is a significant change from what appeared to be three very targeted attacks to what was, last night, an attack that would have hit a random victim that happened to walk by,” Manley said. “So we’ve definitely seen a change in the method that this suspect … is using.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/03/18/two-injured-in-explosion-in-austin-police-say/?utm_term=.abd6d8093d25

Austin authorities have publicly asked the bomber to communicate with them.  Police Chief Manley:

“These events in Austin have garnered worldwide attention. And we assure you that we are listening. We want to understand what brought you to this point, and we want to listen to you.”

Have checked with my daughter, my family is safe. Also checked with several friends and they are all safe too. 

Austin police are on it robustly. They do need to catch this guy or guys. $100,000 reward.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

I haven’t followed this too closely.  Can they tell that they are all related by the type of explosive and other materials?

They think it's the same person(s) due to similar mechanism of the bombs. The first three targeted specific people. The fourth differed in that it wasn't targeted at specific people but just whoever came along.

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I haven’t followed this too closely.  Can they tell that they are all related by the type of explosive and other materials?

Not sure about this fourth one, but the first three all followed the same pattern. It supposedly looked like a delivery package, that exploded once opened.

Many in the Southwest Austin neighborhood previously felt that they were immune from the terror that had shaken other parts of town.

“It appears that no one is safe, and I’m very fearful for our community,” said Richard Herrington, 75, who was watching the NCAA men’s basketball tournament when he heard the explosion Sunday night. “It’s very concerning that this person is becoming more sophisticated.”

The first two bombs killed black people — a 39-year-old construction worker and a 17-year-old high school student — related to prominent members of Austin’s African American community who were also close friends. The third bomb seriously injured a 75-year-old Hispanic woman, but it was addressed to a different home and apparently exploded when she was carrying it, said two people familiar with the case.

The first three explosions detonated in the eastern part of Austin, affecting areas where black and Hispanic residents live. Some in the area questioned whether the initial blast would have prompted more urgency had it gone off in a more affluent, predominantly white neighborhood.

50 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Surprised media hasn't jumped on this to politicize it.  Maybe not enough information out there yet to do so.

Like that has ever stopped them before...

But i agree..  it's pretty quiet. I think this latest incident is going to change that.

~Bang

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Yeah this is utterly terrifying. 

No surveillance cams in these neighborhoods?

Austin Police are asking any residents in southwest Austin with home security cameras to give police surveillance footage from those cameras.

https://www.statesman.com/news/local/latest-southwest-austin-neighborhood-urged-stay-inside-until-police-say/gQWn1zyV6NWh2Z2EZdAJQL/

Kaczynski killed three people and injured 23 in 17 years.  This bomber has killed two people and injured three in 17 days.  If these bombings are all connected, as police believe, they've got one seriously deadly spree killer in Austin. 

30 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

My Austin real estate buddy is ****ting bricks right now.  His wife’s co-worker was the one who called in bomb #4.  Went off on the trail next to his house.  He’s a well-known and visible progressive advocate in the area.

https://www.frostfinds.com/

That same bomb was about a quarter mile from my company’s Austin office. Couple of my buddies there are DC area natives, and likened the feeling in the city to the pervasive fear during the DC sniper attacks. 

25 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

You have to wonder why Austin, a liberal, progressive island in the sea of conservative Texas, is being targeted.

When the DC Sniper had me scared to fill up my gas tank, people made all sorts of guesses.  By the time it was over those assumptions turned out to be wildly wrong.  This bomber could certainly be politically motivated or just some crazy guy that hates technology (again) or some pick up artist loser that's gone crazy (again).  

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

When the DC Sniper had me scared to fill up my gas tank, people made all sorts of guesses.  By the time it was over those assumptions turned out to be wildly wrong.  This bomber could certainly be politically motivated or just some crazy guy that hates technology (again) or some pick up artist loser that's gone crazy (again).  

All true, Destino.  With any luck, we'll find out sooner rather than later who is behind this.

47 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

You have to wonder why Austin, a liberal, progressive island in the sea of conservative Texas, is being targeted.

Amazon or online retailing is a thought, Capitol is another.

Liberal/progressive seems a reach and ignores the other islands.

Could just be cause there are a lot of nuts in the Hill Country

23 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

That same bomb was about a quarter mile from my company’s Austin office. Couple of my buddies there are DC area natives, and likened the feeling in the city to the pervasive fear during the DC sniper attacks. 

Exactly what we talked about this morning.

Scary ****, bro.

22 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

All true, Destino.  With any luck, we'll find out sooner rather than later who is behind this.

Hopefully he pens a thorough accounting of his motives right before he accidentally blows himself up in his workshop. 

Archived