Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

46 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

OUCH!  Least favorite in a long time?! 

I hear you, but the overall point is that I don't want to put an emphasis on the position to the point that we overspend.... Logan Thomas appears serviceable, and he could very well be a quality no. 2.  If we were able to sign Henry, I'd be really excited too.  I just don't want us to go out and throw big money, or spend big draft capital unless it's warranted... that the player is worth it.  I think there are other positions right now that can be upgraded that will have a much bigger impact on the overall team.  With the RBs we have, we can scheme up that middle of the field outlet.  Look at what McKissic just did this past weekend... and what he's been doing this season.  Of course I want Kelce, Kittle, or a healthy Jordan Reed.  That said, there are not many of those to go around.  if that guy is available, by all means, get him.  If not... don't stress the gap between TE6 and TE 12.  That's all i was trying to say. 

BTW I like Jake Ferguson... just sayin. 

Yeah, sorry bro. That was pretty harsh. You're a great poster and I generally respect your input, so it just surprised me to see you talk up our RB and bring up Reed or Thomas.

I'm totally down for a big Wisconsin TE that can run and catch too.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is my least favorite post in a long time. When is the last time we have had a TE consistently produce? TE is the safe outlet for a QB when we have had 3 young ones in 8 years. I can barely imagine a more important addition to this team then a reliable target in the middle for the next young QB we draft. They could draft 2 high or draft one high and sign Hunter and I'll stand on the table and cheer.  

I know I ask a lot of questions on how to scout QBs because of the bust rate and the number of sleepers who seem to come from nowhere, but especially for other positions like TE I like to spend lower round picks on athletic bodies who we think can develop into great TEs. I thought that was what we had with Reed, then later with Caleb Wilson and Donald Parham. Sprinkle has that type of ability but never developed it all. Even last year and 2018 when he was getting opportunities, he showed he could get open and beat LBs and Ss, but his hands are stone and that means that he can't really be anyhing reliable. Then you have guys like Paul who had a similar build to the Sims / Harmon and was a big WR who we thought could make a good TE. I was never sold on it but he did have that one year that gave us hope. But he got injured. 

The opposite side of that is guys like Hentges who we had last year and he looked good but he is so unathletic that there is really a low ceiling on how good he can be as a threat and a helper. But what we saw is that with Haskins playing and trying to lean on the TEs more he could either throw it to Sprinkle on a deeper route that was 50/50 chance he'd catch it or Hentges on a simpler route with little opportunity fot YAC, but more certain hands. 

This year we have guys like Baugh (PS now) and Hemmingway who supposedly have really good athletic profiles and we can see if they are given a chance to develop or just keeping spots warm until the season ends and we get new guys in here. 

But I will honestly say that one thing about Alex that I am somewhat excited about is his (historically) tendency to overuse the safe checkdowns. That means he may rely more on the TE than we have seen so far this year. All year long I've been saying that we shouldn't be going to Thomas but to JMC and Gibson instead but maybe we will be seeing more Thomas and Hemmingway on checkdowns in weeks to come as teams try to take away JMC and Gibson as threats. 

One thing that frustrates me about this team is that nobody has that gamebreaker instinct. I loved Bibbs as a RB because he took passes and runs to the house. Same with Guice last year. Gibson and JMC are making some good plays but getting caught. Even TMac is getting caught from behind on a lot of his YAC plays. Some of this is about the vision and speed but I think we're due for some simple big plays where we just see our guys get the edge and take it to the house or have a defender fall down and we just walk in on a simple play. Why does everything have to be so complicated for us? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, sorry bro. That was pretty harsh. You're a great poster and I generally respect your input, so it just surprised me to see you talk up our RB and bring up Reed or Thomas.

I'm totally down for a big Wisconsin TE that can run and catch too.  

I guess I just don't want some fans of this team to lose their mind if we don't take a TE til the 3rd or 4th round... or if we opt to look at free agency to add.  The position absolutely has room for improvement.  I was hoping Baugh would show out, and I'm a little frustrated that we opted to hold onto Sprinkle over Hentges and Rodgers.  If we could find our way into the Hunter Henry game I would be happy, because it basically means your draft can go elsewhere.  I don't want to IGNORE the position, but the offense can function without an elite TE.  There are a lot of 'good' TEs out there that can get the job done that we need done.  We need a TE1, but it doesn't have to be Kittle.  If Kittle is there, you take him.  If he's not there and you can get a much bigger upgrade at another position.. I think we can make it work for now..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Early draft talk again this year……………

🙄

Some of us are always looking at the future draft.   We kind of enjoy it.  It's not that we've written off a season, but we just like to do it.  The 2021 Comprehensive draft thread started literally April 25th... the final day of the 2020 draft. 

• Like 4

Man, I keep forgetting we have Gandy-Golden, I haven't really seen anyone talk about him so I got curious about how he was doing and saw he went to the IR. I didn't even know this, I just assumed that Cam Sims jumped him on the depth chart. Does anyone think he'll actually be in our future plans or do we think he's just a future depth guy? 

28 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Man, I keep forgetting we have Gandy-Golden, I haven't really seen anyone talk about him so I got curious about how he was doing and saw he went to the IR. I didn't even know this, I just assumed that Cam Sims jumped him on the depth chart. Does anyone think he'll actually be in our future plans or do we think he's just a future depth guy? 

He barely got to play. Nothing to say he won't be good, other than he hasn't stayed on the field. 

• Like 2

I'll say this. Yesterday was the type of day that I imagined that this team would be having with this recieving corp. The primary target was TMC. Gibson was the lead RB. the secondary option was JDM (Thomas had 5 targets to his 4 but look at the yards). And even Cam and Steven Sims were showing that they were better options than Thomas. So it wasn't somewhere where we had to depend on Thomas as our TE to rely on. Isaiah Wright was a good option as well, drawing that DPI that helped us to get up 17-9. I still want a more reliable TE who can grow into that role so that as he's reaching his stride and developing he's not about to retire. But I'll take what I can get. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 2:31 PM, Skins199021 said:

I think FA money and 1st and 2nd round picks should be invested in QB/OL/LBs and Safeties

I think WR we are alright, wouldn't mind drafting Shi Smith in the middle rounds

I’m about here. I think rounds 1 and 2 should be QB/OT, and our picks in rounds 3 & 4 will be the sweat spot for LB,TE and Safety.

I think we look to invest in a FA receiver and then snag a late round sleeper prospect.

37 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m about here. I think rounds 1 and 2 should be QB/OT, and our picks in rounds 3 & 4 will be the sweat spot for LB,TE and Safety.

I think we look to invest in a FA receiver and then snag a late round sleeper prospect.

I'd rather go buy the OT in FA, someone like Taylor Moton would be great. On TE, I think we should actually bring someone in FA AND draft someone as Logan is a FA after 2021. Matt Bushman, who was BYU's leading receiver in 2019, tore his ACL before the season and might be something of a forgotten guy. He reminds me of Hooper

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, method man said:

AGG is behind everyone else in the WR pecking order, especially with Harmon coming back. Some have suggested this for Sims but perhaps AGG should put on 15 pounds and try to become a move TE. He certainly seems to have the frame to pack on a but more weight.

That tends to happen when you're on IR.

34 minutes ago, method man said:

I'd rather go buy the OT in FA, someone like Taylor Moton would be great. On TE, I think we should actually bring someone in FA AND draft someone as Logan is a FA after 2021. Matt Bushman, who was BYU's leading receiver in 2019, tore his ACL before the season and might be something of a forgotten guy. He reminds me of Hooper

I also like Moton but think he gets extended or tagged.

I got an idea, for a new, updated thread title.

Instead of our receivers beginning to "shape up", since they're all so young and fresh out of school, how about "Receivers beginning to grow up"

Later we can update it with "Receivers voices start to deepen, allegedly reached puberty"

Seriously though, here's something to think about ; of all these young receivers, which one do you think has the chance to become something special ?

Or two...

Jeff Badet

Isaiah Wright

Cam Sims

Steven Sims

Robert Foster

AGG

On Injured Reserve :

Kelvin Harmon

Emmanuel Hall

Practice Squad :

Antonio Brown

Trevor Davis

On 11/23/2020 at 11:26 AM, method man said:

Probably with Bushman is he'll be a 25 year rookie.   For a third day guy you can live with that, but for a pick in the first 3 rounds that is kind of a turn off.

On 11/12/2020 at 6:12 PM, method man said:

Looking at the free agent receivers, you do have a few proven veterans who may have a season or two left to pair with Terry. TY Hilton, AJ Green and Alshon Jeffrey all come to mind. All three of these guys would be folks you’d sign to 1-2 year deals for $5m-$7m annually as the Godwins, Golladays and Smith Schusters will all get $15M+ a year with big bonuses.

Out of that bunch, I like Hilton the most. He’s shown he can still separate well but has had some issues with drops and Rivers with his weakened arm strength isn’t the right QB for him anymore. 

I'm wondering if Jarvis Landry will come available.  If so he will be closer to the 15's, but I think 12-14 after this season.  Age middle of the group as well and fewer injuries.

The WR corps is shaping up reasonably. I think once Alex gains full trust in all of them, you'll see plays where (McClaurin is taking away three defenders) other WRs (running wide open) will get the ball. Oh yea, that happened on ThanksGIVING.  #24 for the cowgirl was man-man with Isiah Wright. #24 see's that McClaurin has several steps on #26 and decides to help. That leaves Isiah Wright wide open on the post because the safety committed to McClaurin well before Alex released the ball. I think it was a good read because who knew Isiah's man would branch off like that. I still think Alex had his mind made up. 

uyyure.thumb.JPG.f64a5924f6e8565aca0adc1ae45920d2.JPG

rtyre.thumb.JPG.3c2e51197d1fdaa5f0ffcef870e15b4e.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Cam Sims looks like the kid on the playground that didn't get picked for the kickball game. 

beavers GIF

Wasn't that the vid, where the voiceover kept saying "Allen. Allen ! Allen !! Allen !!!"

That would have been funny during the time Kyle Allen was QB.

Hey I'm open, Allen. Allen ! Allen !! Allen !!!

• Haha 1