Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

13 minutes ago, mojo said:

There is a lot of potential in this group.  I think spending big money on a top flight TE and O linemen would be more beneficial than signing a big contract WR.

Any specific players in mind? For me the prospects don't show a lot of luster. I hope we HAVE changed the culture and sign our own first. Is Big Sims contract up? The draft looks terrific for tight ends.. I'll take two. What are Clint Didier and Donnie Warren up to these days.?

3 hours ago, HanburgerHelper55 said:

Any specific players in mind? For me the prospects don't show a lot of luster. I hope we HAVE changed the culture and sign our own first. Is Big Sims contract up? The draft looks terrific for tight ends.. I'll take two. What are Clint Didier and Donnie Warren up to these days.?

Cam Sims is in the final year of his two yr deal. Considering he only has like 9 career recs, I don't see anyone banging down the door to bring him in. I'd be shocked if he got anything more than a 2-3yr deal worth 1.5 M in the Free Agent Market, and that is before considering next yr will be a down yr due to cap. If they want him, they can easily afford him.

We get Harmon back, which is nice, but we are still in desperate need of another legit WR. Even more so if we continue to use Gibson in a non-Kamara like role and the constant dispersal of S. Sims role in our O.

I think the best way to add the kind of player we are looking for is via trade. A lot of teams will need to cut cap next season, maybe we can take advantage and secure someones else's player for cheap. (*cough*M. Thomas*cough*) If we can make that happen, I will bust out my "I just found a fresh brain lying in the street" happy dance

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HanburgerHelper55 said:

I actually dont worry about TE as much because if you don't have one of the elite... there are a TON of middle tier guys around that can be effective enough to do what you need them to do.   doubt we get Kyle Pitts... I would get excited if we took him, but in my heart I would question if taking a TE in the first round is the best plan of action.  For years we have found ourselves looking at TE like it's a priority, when in fact I think the offense we were running was built for that... simply because we had one of the most talented TEs in the league on our team.  The offense does not need to run through the TE position like it has in the past.  Last year Olsen was 4th in targets on the team with 82, that's 5 a game.  That's not an offense that runs through the TE position.  Conversely, CMC had 142.  Run the game plan through the talent.  Logan Thomas currently has 46 targets through 8 games.  He's on pace for EXACTLY 82 targets. 

Now that team didnt win, and clearly our team isn't winning, but i don't know that the offense is going look the same next year.  It's going to depend on what's available.  

Sorry the thread is 132 pages, and too long for a new person to catch up, but for anyone who's late to the party, I will summarize everything that you missed :

March of 2018 : Receiving corps is beginning to shape up.

November of 2020 : Receiving corps is beginning to shape up.

I'll post the next news update to come out, in another 2 and a half years.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

I’ll say it again. Terry is special, reminds me of diggs. Great player. 

Edit: diggs with a bit more speed 

My comparison is Torry Holt. Similar body types(same height, Holt 10 lbs heavier). Silky smooth route runners. Explosive deep speed. Great hands. Just all around studs. I think we'd all be pretty ecstatic if McLaurin had that kind of career(Holt is a borderline HOF-er at the moment).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

My comparison is Torry Holt. Similar body types(same height, Holt 10 lbs heavier). Silky smooth route runners. Explosive deep speed. Great hands. Just all around studs. I think we'd all be pretty ecstatic if McLaurin had that kind of career(Holt is a borderline HOF-er at the moment).

Did you ever play in college or have an nfl career?  We share the same opinion often (especially on chase young, not trying to derail) and I’m curious. 

Just now, SkinssRvA said:

Did you ever play in college or have an nfl career?  We share the same opinion often (especially on chase young, not trying to derail) and I’m curious. 

lol nope not even close. I played in High School but was a mediocre slow white Strong Safety. Basically I was Reed Doughty but somehow like a gazillion times worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

lol nope not even close. I played in High School but was a mediocre slow white Strong Safety. Basically I was Reed Doughty but somehow like a gazillion times worse.

Love the backstory, high school ftw. Disagree on terry and holt tho, but that’s life. We both love the mclaurin kid l, that’s what matters 

16 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Sims is looking like a keeper. At the very least he should round out the WR corps as a solid #3 option type.

We still need that legit #2 to compliment McLaurin who is every bit a #1. Someone like Emmanuel Sanders would be perfect.

I really do think TY Hilton would be a nice fit. He is a similar player to Terry but we could use him both inside and outside next year. We need a slot more than an outside guy because Sims is not getting it done in the slot this year

17 hours ago, method man said:

Cam Sims with another good game. He kills zone coverage and caught a couple balls in man today. If he can start winning more 1 on 1 in man, I will be more ready to anoint him the no. 2 WR

I don't think he's 2 material. I really like him. I think he is the best of the rest right now but I don't see the route running ability to beat guys 1 on 1 in man. 

Has anyone watched his blocking at all? At 6'5" 220 maybe he should get some snaps at TE and let him take advantage of some lbers.

I'll stay lukewarm on Cam Sims for now. I'm not getting too infatuated with a guy who has 13 career recs and a was not the healthiest guy on the planet beforehand.

While we are in HORRIFIC need of a WR of his stature, it does not mean much when the player rarely attacks the ball and instead lets it come to his body. Double that when we don't take advantage of his size at all via playcalling. If we are not going to make people pay for not paying extra attention to a 6-5 guy with jump balls, we are probably better off running a small guy at his position since he would likely do it better due to shiftiness.

He is big and fast, but I feel like his size is almost negated save for the occasional broken tackle.

I hope to see his continued success, but I just don't see a longterm #2 on a healthy offense and I'd only slot him in as a three if you have a small lineup and we do a better job taking advantage of his size.

He is actually getting some playing time now, maybe we are seeing rapid improvement rather than a flash? Who knows

He'll be dirt cheap to re-sign, but I'm not exactly banging my tombstone for it to happen (Zombie Pun)

Edited by FootballZombie

How great is it to be able to root for a receiver like Terry, just the total package. Is there a DB he hasn't at least been productive against? How many has he straight punked? How many rookie receivers get props from allpro CBs after playing them? 

He has shown a noticeable growth also in his second year. At this point he is getting everything a defense can throw at a reciever and still he just gets it done. 

And a joy to watch. 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2020 at 9:26 AM, OVCChairman said:

I actually dont worry about TE as much because if you don't have one of the elite... there are a TON of middle tier guys around that can be effective enough to do what you need them to do.   doubt we get Kyle Pitts... I would get excited if we took him, but in my heart I would question if taking a TE in the first round is the best plan of action.  For years we have found ourselves looking at TE like it's a priority, when in fact I think the offense we were running was built for that... simply because we had one of the most talented TEs in the league on our team.  The offense does not need to run through the TE position like it has in the past.  Last year Olsen was 4th in targets on the team with 82, that's 5 a game.  That's not an offense that runs through the TE position.  Conversely, CMC had 142.  Run the game plan through the talent.  Logan Thomas currently has 46 targets through 8 games.  He's on pace for EXACTLY 82 targets. 

Now that team didnt win, and clearly our team isn't winning, but i don't know that the offense is going look the same next year.  It's going to depend on what's available.  

This is my least favorite post in a long time. When is the last time we have had a TE consistently produce? TE is the safe outlet for a QB when we have had 3 young ones in 8 years. I can barely imagine a more important addition to this team then a reliable target in the middle for the next young QB we draft. They could draft 2 high or draft one high and sign Hunter and I'll stand on the table and cheer.  

Here’s the thing people are missing a little in the Terry convo (I wouldn’t say missing actually, probably more “not talking about”)...

One of the best parts of Terry McLaurin is that he can play as an X, as a Z or as a pure slot. So getting another receiving option to be a possession monster or another threat type can be in the form of a tight end or any receiver spot. If it’s an outside guy, Terry can play the slot and be an absolute monster.

If it’s a slot guy Terry can play outside and be an absolute monster. 

We are in need of another reliable target that gets open in the receiving corps, but it doesn’t have to be a receiver.

Hell, if we could figure out how to use multiple backs on a regular basis it could be Gibson, it could be McKissick... it could be Etienne. 

Could be Brevin Jordan. Could be Zach Ertz. 

Could be TY. Could be Juju. Could be a lot of guys.

I love Jalen Wydermyer. He’s a year away from draft eligibility but he is one of the best overall tight ends I’ve ever seen. 

Some sleeper receiver types in the draft, too. Dyami Brown from UNC is a dude I like. 

Right now our receiving options are probably as follows in rank:

1. McLaurin

2. McKissick

3. Cam Sims

4. Logan Thomas

5. Isaiah Wright

6. Antonio Gibson

7. Steven Sims

8. Jeremy Sprinkle

Its not an awesome group. But put Harmon in there, add a piece or two (FA and Rookie) and get some development and things are looking better. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is my least favorite post in a long time. When is the last time we have had a TE consistently produce? TE is the safe outlet for a QB when we have had 3 young ones in 8 years. I can barely imagine a more important addition to this team then a reliable target in the middle for the next young QB we draft. They could draft 2 high or draft one high and sign Hunter and I'll stand on the table and cheer.  

OUCH!  Least favorite in a long time?! 

I hear you, but the overall point is that I don't want to put an emphasis on the position to the point that we overspend.... Logan Thomas appears serviceable, and he could very well be a quality no. 2.  If we were able to sign Henry, I'd be really excited too.  I just don't want us to go out and throw big money, or spend big draft capital unless it's warranted... that the player is worth it.  I think there are other positions right now that can be upgraded that will have a much bigger impact on the overall team.  With the RBs we have, we can scheme up that middle of the field outlet.  Look at what McKissic just did this past weekend... and what he's been doing this season.  Of course I want Kelce, Kittle, or a healthy Jordan Reed.  That said, there are not many of those to go around.  if that guy is available, by all means, get him.  If not... don't stress the gap between TE6 and TE 12.  That's all i was trying to say. 

BTW I like Jake Ferguson... just sayin. 

Edited by OVCChairman