Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

It's been pointed out by more than a few analysts and agreed upon here, our #1 Receiver is our TE.  

Last year, the Super Bowl with NE and PHI had both #1 Receivers as...TE's.   

While the #1& #2  Receivers in the League were (1)Antonio Brown and (2)Julio Jones.  They combined for lots of yards but only 12 TD's between the two (9 and 3 respectively).  Let's just say 6 TD's each, on average, between the two best Receivers in the league.  The top two TE's in receiving yards were (10)Gronk and (13)Kelce.  Both had 8 TD's.  That's 33% more point production from this easy observation.

We can take it a step further and (30)Ertz also had 8 TD's (Philly's #1 Receiver).  All three of these TE's had relatively healthy seasons playing an average of 14 of 16 games. Both Kelce and Ertz had breakout seasons in their mutually shared 5th NFL Season.  Jordan Reed, also had his 5th Season last year and it was injury plagued once again.  He's played only one season, his breakout year 2015 where he's played 14 games.  The magic number here appears to be 14 games. 

I don't think there's any TE in the NFL that is going to beat out Jordan Reed in any statistical category if he plays 14 games.  Additionally, I don't believe there's any analysts that would disagree.  Combine Alex Smith, whom delivered Kelce the ball, with a better receiver in Reed, over the course of 14 games and you've achieved the obvious winning formula that is today's NFL...You don't need a #1 WR to win a Super Bowl.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I don't think there's any TE in the NFL that is going to beat out Jordan Reed in any statistical category if he plays 14 games.  Additionally, I don't believe there's any analysts that would disagree.  Combine Alex Smith, whom delivered Kelce the ball, with a better receiver in Reed, over the course of 14 games and you've achieved the obvious winning formula that is today's NFL...You don't need a #1 WR to win a Super Bowl.   

I think everyone would be happy with the WR situation if Reed wasn't injury prone. I think we can all agree that Reed is our #1 receiver when healthy, and he's a damn good one. Not only is the the ultimate 3rd down receiver, but he's a complete mismatch in the Red Zone. It's just that he hurt all the damn time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I think everyone would be happy with the WR situation if Reed wasn't injury prone. I think we can all agree that Reed is our #1 receiver when healthy, and he's a damn good one. Not only is the the ultimate 3rd down receiver, but he's a complete mismatch in the Red Zone. It's just that he hurt all the damn time.

With respect for Reeds ability and the often injured statistical fact, lets try and gain a little perspective on what he was dealing with and what the facts are currently with this regard.  First, he's had a few concussions that we're an issue previous to the foot injury.  The foot injury was the reason he missed games over the last significant portion of the games he's missed.  The injury was a floating bone in his foot (the Sesamoid bone).  This is a floating bone that is embedded in a tendon and connects to the big toe (in the foot).  Another larger Sesamoid bone is the patella (knee cap), only connected by tendons, muscle, so it's floating.  Not like the patella sesamoid, the one that floats close to the big toe isn't really necessary.  Meaning you don't require it to walk, run, balance, etc. So in Reed's case, he had a situation where this bone was constantly irritating the tendon causing painful tendonitis at his big toe.  If you've ever had tendonitis you'd know that it affectively renders that affected body part as useless with shooting (debilitating) pain when aggravated.  In baseball pitchers get this tendon issue in their elbows or shoulders, they've got to end their season and get surgery.  They can't pitch.  The same would be true of any athlete that would have this type of tendon interference in a foot, knee, or hip.  Now, he had one surgery to try and take the pressure off the tendon and it didn't alleviate the tendonitis issue, so they they just took it out. Problem solved, but he had to obviously heal and this type of procedure shuts you down for several months. Affectively, he's not going to have a correlated foot issue anymore.  Additionally, his previous injuries have all healed.  Now, he's stating he hasn't felt this good in years and it's just a matter of conditioning.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000942468/printable/redskins-jordan-reed-feels-100-times-better-than-17

sesamoid-bones.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

From what's available I view the Receiving Corp as serviceable with an upside.  My intuition with respect for what might happen has Maurice Harris making some impact.  With a healthy Jordan Reed, Crowder gets some stress relief and Doctson has the opportunity to take the next step.  I'd have to put the rankings something like this:

1.  Reed

2.  Doctson

3.  Richardson

4.  Crowder 

5.  Quick 

6.  Harris 

I see this evolving over the Pre-Season, but my view is there's plenty of talented players and the upside is pretty good. 

46 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

From what's available I view the Receiving Corp as serviceable with an upside.  My intuition with respect for what might happen has Maurice Harris making some impact.  With a healthy Jordan Reed, Crowder gets some stress relief and Doctson has the opportunity to take the next step.  I'd have to put the rankings something like this:

1.  Reed

2.  Doctson

3.  Richardson

4.  Crowder 

5.  Quick 

6.  Harris 

I see this evolving over the Pre-Season, but my view is there's plenty of talented players and the upside is pretty good. 

I'd go

1.  Reed

2.  Crowder

3.  Doctson

4.  Richardson

5.  Harris 

6.  Quick

But Reed is still one hit from another concussion.

Edited by Morneblade

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

With respect for Reeds ability and the often injured statistical fact, lets try and gain a little perspective on what he was dealing with and what the facts are currently with this regard.  First, he's had a few concussions that we're an issue previous to the foot injury.  The foot injury was the reason he missed games over the last significant portion of the games he's missed.  The injury was a floating bone in his foot (the Sesamoid bone).  This is a floating bone that is embedded in a tendon and connects to the big toe (in the foot).  Another larger Sesamoid bone is the patella (knee cap), only connected by tendons, muscle, so it's floating.  Not like the patella sesamoid, the one that floats close to the big toe isn't really necessary.  Meaning you don't require it to walk, run, balance, etc. So in Reed's case, he had a situation where this bone was constantly irritating the tendon causing painful tendonitis at his big toe.  If you've ever had tendonitis you'd know that it affectively renders that affected body part as useless with shooting (debilitating) pain when aggravated.  In baseball pitchers get this tendon issue in their elbows or shoulders, they've got to end their season and get surgery.  They can't pitch.  The same would be true of any athlete that would have this type of tendon interference in a foot, knee, or hip.  Now, he had one surgery to try and take the pressure off the tendon and it didn't alleviate the tendonitis issue, so they they just took it out. Problem solved, but he had to obviously heal and this type of procedure shuts you down for several months. Affectively, he's not going to have a correlated foot issue anymore.  Additionally, his previous injuries have all healed.  Now, he's stating he hasn't felt this good in years and it's just a matter of conditioning.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000942468/printable/redskins-jordan-reed-feels-100-times-better-than-17

sesamoid-bones.jpg

Very informative,great post! Going forward with Reed,he just can’t afford any more concussions.Who knows,not really a fan of the new tackling rule but maybe it will help prolong his career and others like him.If this team can get even 12 games out of him this season it is a huge difference maker.

Edited by Tarpon75
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheShredder said:

1.  Reed

2.  Doctson

3.  Richardson

4.  Crowder 

5.  Quick 

6.  Harris 

I think I'd go with

1. Reed

2. Thompson

3. Crowder

4. I'm up in the air with the other receivers. Doctson?

5. Quick?

6. Harris?

7. Richardson

I think it's fair to count Thompson as a member of the receiving corp as that is his primary role. As for the bottom four on this list, I don't think that order is right or how it will play out, but I'm kind of going based on Camp reports of who I'm hearing is doing really well or impressing.

Maybe they can take the bone out of him that makes him afraid to block and he could be the best in the league, instead of a swollen WR with concussion issues. 

If Reed is healthy and Sprinkle takes a big step forward, our offense is potentially lethal now that CT is healthy and we've added Guise. 

I've probably been Reeds biggest critic and certainly for the longest around here, but he is the key to this offense and how good it can be. I hope the second half of his career is spent living up to the potential that was flushed the first half. 

I don't understand, did Vernon Davis die or something? No one thinks he will be getting his share of impact production? 

I'd go :

1.  Reed

2.  Crowder

3.  Doctson

4.  Richardson

5.  Harris 

6.  Quick

5. Vernon Davis

6. Harris

7. Sprinkle

8. Quinn

and of course, the CT-Guice targets. 

Edited by Sandy Monk

2 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

I don't understand, did Vernon Davis die or something? No one thinks he will be getting his share of impact production? 

I'd go :

1.  Reed

2.  Crowder

3.  Doctson

4.  Richardson

5.  Harris 

6.  Quick

5. Vernon Davis

6. Harris

7. Sprinkle

8. Quinn

and of course, the CT-Guice targets. 

No, but if Vernon is in, that means that Reed is out, and likely due to an injury. Same with Quinn. Sprinkle I don't expect to get a lot of looks. But I do hear that her has gotten stronger and his blocking has improved, so he might be out there more this year. We could use that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

No, but if Vernon is in, that means that Reed is out, and likely due to an injury. Same with Quinn. Sprinkle I don't expect to get a lot of looks. But I do hear that her has gotten stronger and his blocking has improved, so he might be out there more this year. We could use that.

yeah, also heard good things of Sprinkle, and Vernon as well. 

You do not think they will be running much 2 TE formations? 

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

yeah, also heard good things of Sprinkle, and Vernon as well. 

You do not think they will be running much 2 TE formations? 

And actually throwing out of it? Do you know how many years we've been asking for that, and never seeing it? Like going back to Chris Cooley and Fred Davis. Don't hold your breath......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

And actually throwing out of it? Do you know how many years we've been asking for that, and never seeing it? Like going back to Chris Cooley and Fred Davis. Don't hold your breath......

If Sprinkle evolves into a legitimate blocker....  I’d wager we’ll see a lot of it ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

If Sprinkle evolves into a legitimate blocker....  I’d wager we’ll see a lot of it ?

If Sprinkle emerges as a blocker, Gruden will call Reed/Davis off the field and send Sprinkle out. He might even hold up a giant piece of cardboard that says we're running just for good measure.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

If Sprinkle emerges as a blocker, Gruden will call Reed/Davis off the field and send Sprinkle out. He might even hold up a giant piece of cardboard that says we're running just for good measure.

Sprinkle with Reed or Davis gives options/versatility. You can run or pass out of that.

But you can’t run the ball with Davis and Reed on the field.

Edited by Die Hard

I really hope Quick doesn't make the 53. Not that I have anything personally against him. But we know what he is. And the league values Quick as a virtually non-entity. Two straight years of free agency and two minimum contracts. I also found it odd that Quick played so little last year in light of all the injuries at WR. So even the Redskins don't seem to like him that much. More than anything, keeping Quick seems to be a referendum on the other young WRs. Basically that they're no good. Kind of damning for guys like Harris or Davis or Quinn that the team would take Quick and expose them to waivers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think I'd go with

1. Reed

2. Thompson

3. Crowder

4. I'm up in the air with the other receivers. Doctson?

5. Quick?

6. Harris?

7. Richardson

I think it's fair to count Thompson as a member of the receiving corp as that is his primary role. As for the bottom four on this list, I don't think that order is right or how it will play out, but I'm kind of going based on Camp reports of who I'm hearing is doing really well or impressing.

Yeah, I'm not sure about Thompson right now (because Thompson isn't sure about himself).  He seems like a really honest guy and consistent with his language to all outlets.  He's admitting pain, lack of confidence, and 'pushing through'...Doesn't sound promising.  Might be reasonable to lower expectations until he's self proclaiming feeling 100% and confident. Once he's talking that up, I'd be with you to include a pass catching RB in the top assets of the receivers for sure.  When he's feeling strong and confident, we've seen what he can do and it definitely aligns with what Alex Smith was doing previously with success. I think at this point just being in training camp and working is just as it should be.  

Preston Smith covered Chris Thompson down the field one-on-one on a deep ball and was there to break up pass. No joking on this!

https://twitter.com/LakeLewis/status/1024668204415635457

Richardson at the bottom though?  Why are you down on him?  Everything I've seen and found about him was upside. Is it just intuition or something else? 

https://twitter.com/ChadwikoRCC/status/1024730670764109829

Brian Quick isn't a top 4 guy but...he could be the Skins Top 4 guy!  He really needs to be unseeded imo.  I'd like to think my 4,5,6 are all working towards that #4 designation.  ? marks for Crowder, Quick, and Harris will not likely be answered in Pre-Season and I'd suspect not expected to solidify until the Bye Week. 

Edited by TheShredder
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

I really hope Quick doesn't make the 53. Not that I have anything personally against him. But we know what he is. And the league values Quick as a virtually non-entity. Two straight years of free agency and two minimum contracts. I also found it odd that Quick played so little last year in light of all the injuries at WR. So even the Redskins don't seem to like him that much. More than anything, keeping Quick seems to be a referendum on the other young WRs. Basically that they're no good. Kind of damning for guys like Harris or Davis or Quinn that the team would take Quick and expose them to waivers.

I wouldn't hope Brian Quick fails because he's 6'3" 215...also didn't cost anything to see if he could valuable.  I can see him getting waived.  

22 minutes ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Nobody thinking a 2nd year Davis could emerge ? Skins front office must. I hope passing on Gallup and Hamilton doesn't bite us.

I think he's as likely a candidate for a #4 spot as any of them at this point. 

JD is back.  Fake news sucks. Watch the live tweets.

https://twitter.com/LakeLewis/status/1026892112493768705

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheShredder said:

I think he's as likely a candidate for a #4 spot as any of them at this point. 

JD is back.  Fake news sucks. Watch the live tweets.

https://twitter.com/LakeLewis/status/1026892112493768705

There is no way he is as much of a candidate for the 4th spot as Harris. Harris has been killing it in camp and Davis is occasionally mentioned. I don’t think Davis is in any better position than Quinn, I’m terms of the depth chart.

Also,  it to sound jaded, but who really cares about the 5th receiver on any given team. Depth at almost any other position is more valuable. LB. DL/OL, DB. Unless a 5th WR is great on special teams, he will usually be close to invisible. 

10 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Richardson at the bottom though?  Why are you down on him?  Everything I've seen and found about him was upside. Is it just intuition or something else? 

https://twitter.com/ChadwikoRCC/status/1024730670764109829

I really wasn't sure what order to go with so I put my receivers in the order of preseason hype and good camp reports. I just really haven't much if anything about Richardson. One or two catches in the endzone and maybe a fly pattern, but nothing that suggests he's wowing anyone. That could mean that he's meeting vet expectations.

The reason we hear more about Doctson is because we're looking for signs that he will emerge. Same goes for Davis and Harris. You generally don't hear a lot of excitement about good play from vets because they are supposed to do well.