Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

Never say Kirk is not competitive

https://deadspin.com/kirk-cousins-shoves-volunteer-official-at-charity-flag-1792008254

Definitely agree that we can keep Colt but still could and should draft a QB this year by the way.  Alex does not mean we don't plan for the future just that we don't need to reach or mortgage the franchise.  We do have some good scouts in the building and there are a couple of good prospects who may be still there in the later rounds and we can sit them and develop them for a year or two with no rush to start as we have a guy on a LTD who we know will give us at worst steady play at the position for 3 or 4 years. 

On 2/27/2018 at 8:59 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

NFC East reporters, talking about how Alex Smith influences the NFC East.  The point below is one of my takeaways, too.  Not saying a 34 year old QB can't be a Brady and Brees and not lose a step as the hit their 40s. But its really all over the map on that front as for QBs as they enter their mid 30s .   So I like Alex but I am hoping they looking this draft or next at a successor.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35744/how-will-redskins-qb-alex-smith-impact-the-nfc-east

"the move from Cousins to Smith heightens the urgency to find the quarterback of the future."

Alex doesn't influence the NFC East much in 2018.

He's going from a team with a good front office to one of the worst front office's in the league  Is that front office going to be able to surround all the players Alex needs to be contended not only in the NFC East but the NFC overall in 2018?

He's going from good but not great head coach, to one of the NFL's mediocre head coaches.

Alex had the players in Kansas City.  Will the Redskins get him all the players he needs in one year?

Also, Gruden and Alex will need some time adjusting to each other.  That's going to take a little while.  You can only practice so much; until we play live games, we will just to wait and see.  I think Alex will be playing better by the end of the season, than he will the beginning.

2019, when we probably have a new coach; is probably when you can see whether Alex can impact the NFC East.

Only 12 days, until the official Hello and we can finally hear from Alex.

Fair enough

15 hours ago, Tarpon75 said:

You can say some negative things about Cousins but I don’t think you can say he doesn’t compete.He is a guy that brought the team back from 23-24 point hole against Tampa and was very passionate doing so.He’s a guy the took tremendous shots from defenses while standing tall in the pocket repeatedly and jumped right back in to do it again.Kirk ran down Aqib Talib in a meaningless Pro bowl game to make a tackle and save a touchdown.How many times have you seen a QB do that?  A guy with Kirk’s physical limitations doesn’t get to where he is without being extremely competitive.I could  come up with a lot of other instances where he was more than competitive.He has a lot of faults but not being a competitor isn’t one of them.

Fair enough, we can agree that Kirk will compete and that he lacks the confidence that some of his peers have. I think Smith is gonna come in here and demand things out of his teammates unlike KC may have been comfortable doing. From everything I've read, AS is a tremendous leader whereas KC admitted to not feeling like this was his team when vets like Garcon and others were here. I don't think Smith will have any problem coming in and taking control of the offense. We'll see if he can make the throws and reads. 

I think Kirk has been very clear about his level of confidence.  He admitted that near the end of the Shanahan regime he started wondering if it would ever click for him.  I don’t think he’s the same guy he was then.  It would certainly be a lot easier to have bowed down to Bruce than to play on tags.  I think it takes a world of confidence to play this how he has.  As Tarpon covered, it’s also ridiculous to say he’s not a competitor.  He let throws rip with 300lb lineman running free to kill him on numerous occasions this season playing on a franchise tag.   Guys that aren’t competitors or lack confidence don’t do that.  You can have your “didn’t want to be here” and “doesn’t win big games” stuff because atleast there is proof to that, even if it lacks context. But all this not a competitor, padding stats, lack of confidence, “throwing games” - bobandweave :ols: level buffoonery is just outright BS.

What makes it even funnier though is when you compare this disinformation about Cousins with their defense of Alex Smith as being this ultra confident and competitive guy. Like he's the 2nd coming of Brett Favre. What is the point anyway?

You don't even need to try hard to counter this argument for Alex Smith.

Just Google the word "checkdown" and click on images and see who's picture comes up, almost exclusively over and over and over. 

Get used to it everybody and now next year it's going to be all that most of you will want to talk about.

I know this because I've just spent the past 4-5 years hearing it from Chiefs fans on seriusxm every single week it's about half of what Chiefs fans talk about after most games.

19 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Alex doesn't influence the NFC East much in 2018.

He's going from a team with a good front office to one of the worst front office's in the league  Is that front office going to be able to surround all the players Alex needs to be contended not only in the NFC East but the NFC overall in 2018?

He's going from good but not great head coach, to one of the NFL's mediocre head coaches.

Alex had the players in Kansas City.  Will the Redskins get him all the players he needs in one year?

Also, Gruden and Alex will need some time adjusting to each other.  That's going to take a little while.  You can only practice so much; until we play live games, we will just to wait and see.  I think Alex will be playing better by the end of the season, than he will the beginning.

2019, when we probably have a new coach; is probably when you can see whether Alex can impact the NFC East.

Only 12 days, until the official Hello and we can finally hear from Alex.

So you are squarely in the Gruden Sell column. :ols:

5 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

What makes it even funnier though is when you compare this disinformation about Cousins with their defense of Alex Smith as being this ultra confident and competitive guy. Like he's the 2nd coming of Brett Favre. What is the point anyway?

You don't even need to try hard to counter this argument for Alex Smith.

Just Google the word "checkdown" and click on images and see who's picture comes up, almost exclusively over and over and over. 

Get used to it everybody and now next year it's going to be all that most of you will want to talk about.

I know this because I've just spent the past 4-5 years hearing it from Chiefs fans on seriusxm every single week it's about half of what Chiefs fans talk about after most games.

Did you consider what Skins fans talk about every single week concerning Cousins? Either missing wide open deep Receivers or poorly placed balls, not closing out big games. These were the reactions I remember. And again the point is how much do you invest in that? 

1 hour ago, SWFLSkins said:

Did you consider what Skins fans talk about every single week concerning Cousins? Either missing wide open deep Receivers or poorly placed balls, not closing out big games. These were the reactions I remember. And again the point is how much do you invest in that? 

The issue with that is a lot of good QBs do the exact same things.  Skins fans tend to make mythical figures out of the QB position.  I can’t blame them because they haven’t watched every snap of a legit one until Cousins took over as starter.  Which is why I think the Alex Smith honeymoon phase won’t last long.  I’ll just be interested to see if the “excuse” train starts chugging along with folks praising this move.  Not that the excuses can’t be logical, but those same folks tend to gloss over those things when the QB involved is that of someone they don’t really like.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The issue with that is a lot of good QBs do the exact same things.  Skins fans tend to make mythical figures out of the QB position.  I can’t blame them because they haven’t watched every snap of a legit one until Cousins took over as starter. 

Fans are certainly making a mythical figure out of Cousins right now. I really don't see Smith getting excessive heat. Bruce and Gruden are in the firing line first. 

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Fans are certainly making a mythical figure out of Cousins right now. I really don't see Smith getting excessive heat. Bruce and Gruden are in the firing line first. 

Of course, Alex won’t get the heat, he’ll get the benefit of doubt excuses no matter what happens, from the folks that are happy to see Cousins go and excited to have a competitive, confident QB that wants to be here.

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Of course, Alex won’t get the heat, he’ll get the benefit of doubt excuses no matter what happens, from the folks that are happy to see Cousins go and excited to have a competitive, confident QB that wants to be here.

No need to be so defensive.

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

No need to be so defensive.

Not sure what is defensive about my post in any way.

Its simply a prediction of what’s going to happen.  Which I think is a good spin off for a post down the road where everyone can lay out their predictions for what happens here next season.  Not just on the field but what the fans are going to say when X happens.

22 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Its simply a prediction of what’s going to happen.  Which I think is a good spin off for a post down the road where everyone can lay out their predictions for what happens here next season.  Not just on the field but what the fans are going to say when X happens.

There are going to be gamedays that go both ways, Smith having a bad day and Cousins having a great day is not something I look forward to. But it's going to happen. WE fans really need to be patient in the early stages, not to go too extreme (as if, look where we are) one way or the other. 

2 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

There are going to be gamedays that go both ways, Smith having a bad day and Cousins having a great day is not something I look forward to. But it's going to happen. WE fans really need to be patient in the early stages, not to go too extreme (as if, look where we are) one way or the other. 

It shouldn’t be that way, because they will be playing with 2 entirely different supporting casts, both in new systems.

But it absolutely will be that way.

Thats why all the “so glad he’s gone” folks puzzle me.  The drama isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.  This team will forever be connected to Cousins career for better or worse.  It goes one of two ways, Cousins goes on to win elsewhere and Bruce Allen will never rid himself of the stench.  Or he fizzles out and Bruce is somewhat vindicated.  I say somewhat because he did pay 44M for 2 seasons and gave up capital to get out of it.  But atleast he could hang his hat on not being sold on him.

7 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Better Checkdown than INT in the red zone. I get it. You  "like" Cousins. *I* don't for many reasons the biggest being he stabbed coach in the back after Gruden stuck his neck out for HIM vs RGIII and gave him a shot. Without THAT, we wouldn't be talking 30 Mil a year. And *I* don't care he has a burr up his *ss about Allen. THAT is just immature IMHO..kinda like screaming "You like that" at the press after a game that shouldn't have HAD to be come back that far. Slow starter in games and Seasons....track record YOU can't deny

Get over it already

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It shouldn’t be that way, because they will be playing with 2 entirely different supporting casts, both in new systems.

But it absolutely will be that way.

Thats why all the “so glad he’s gone” folks puzzle me.  The drama isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.  This team will forever be connected to Cousins career for better or worse.  It goes one of two ways, Cousins goes on to win elsewhere and Bruce Allen will never rid himself of the stench.  Or he fizzles out and Bruce is somewhat vindicated.  I say somewhat because he did pay 44M for 2 seasons and gave up capital to get out of it.  But atleast he could hang his hat on not being sold on him.

Sounds like WE the fans lose either way.  :kickcan:

2 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Sounds like WE the fans lose either way.  :kickcan:

Pretty much.  Anything short of taking the next steps is a loss for the fans.  The only really good thing I can see coming of it is that if the Skins do crash and burn or continue this quasi .500 pace is that Dan could get fed up and luck into hiring a more than competent Bruce replacement that will set things up for sustained success.

43 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I read it as being quite defensive towards Cousins, but yeah ok point taken, it wasn't defensive.

No doubt the board will feast on the careers of Cousins, and Fuller probably, for eternity. Thank God that that will be predominantly confined to ATN, although im sure game day threads are going to be the usual carnage based on Smiths performances :rofl89:

Its pretty much at the stage where any debate on Cousins is pointless. We all have our opinions on Cousins and how the FO have handled things, and no amount of discussion will change that. This has become an endless circular, dog chasing its tail, conversation.

Unless something highly unlikely occurs before the start of FA, I dare say it's best to let this one fade and die....:kickcan:

It’s interesting that the is a complete blackout of any news on our home redskins site about Kirk Cusins.

This blackout is the covert plan is spruce Alghin covering his tracks as he screws the fanbase again once more!!!

He is trying to force the fans to move on as he strives to control redskin nation with his twisted puppet master antics.

It’s time for Snider to fire spruce alghin!!!

Hey Snider, on the financial sheets, does the team belong to you or spruce alghlin?

With out the Redskin Nation, Mr. Synider, you are nothing.

Rise up Redskin Nation,!!! I say Rise up!!!

Hail to my beloved Redskins!!!!

Someone asked about my use of spruce alghin as a joke for the name our punk GM.

spruce refused to call Kirk Cusins by his real name and repeatedly called him “Curt” over and over again on every opportunity given in front of the camera or microphone , so I refuse to give him any dignity or respect because of the punk GM he is.

spruce alghin is not his worthy of the respect earned by his father.

It’s time to fire that punk.

4 hours ago, THE#1SkinFAN said:

spruce refused to call Kirk Cusins by his real name and repeatedly called him “Curt” over and over again on every opportunity given in front of the camera or microphone , so I refuse to give him any dignity or respect because of the punk GM he is.

yt.gif

7 hours ago, THE#1SkinFAN said:

It’s interesting that the is a complete blackout of any news on our home redskins site about Kirk Cusins.

This blackout is the covert plan is spruce Alghin covering his tracks as he screws the fanbase again once more!!!

He is trying to force the fans to move on as he strives to control redskin nation with his twisted puppet master antics.

It’s time for Snider to fire spruce alghin!!!

Hey Snider, on the financial sheets, does the team belong to you or spruce alghlin?

With out the Redskin Nation, Mr. Synider, you are nothing.

Rise up Redskin Nation,!!! I say Rise up!!!

Hail to my beloved Redskins!!!!

5 hours ago, THE#1SkinFAN said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqgD19hYcNj8XRG3WTpzf

27 minutes ago, TK said:

It's Booze Allen. Get it right next time. :pint:

I know drunk when I see it, :bye:

Archived