Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

They lay down like dogs vs. Philly. Meanwhile against us they fight their hearts out to steal two out of four games. What a bunch of nags.

Kind of. The Nats forgot how to hit for two games. If the bats do anything at all in those two games they are 3 back right now.

The doubleheader next Tuesday is going to be absolutely humongous

Meh, let's take care of our own business and see how things fall into place. Not worried about what everyone else is doing yet. We have 9 more shots at the Phillies and 7 at the Braves. Those games will be crucial. 

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

Meh, let's take care of our own business and see how things fall into place. Not worried about what everyone else is doing yet. We have 9 more shots at the Phillies and 7 at the Braves. Those games will be crucial. 

We have to win 6 and 5 respectively...

Since the ASB:

Turner: .314/.352/.569, since his benching: .368/.415/.632, 8 SB

Rendon: .297/.316/.459

Zimmerman: .292/.370/.542

Murphy: .366/.422/.634

Soto: .326/.446/.696

Harper: .359/.480/.692

Very small sample size, but the bats are starting to wake up. Roark has been very good his last 2 starts, Max is still dominant, Milone has been really good in his spot starts. Get Stras and Doolittle back, and lets go.

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

What do ya'll think the chances of the game happening tonight are?  I won club-level seats in a charity auction.  Not trying to wait around for a 4 hour rain delay.  

Only a 30-50% of isolated storms tonight.  I think the game gets played...

image.png.af5a20171a30fad6ed5b626b2c3ad870.png

Juan Soto, OF, Nationals. Soto went 0-for-2 on Thursday, but he walked three times, which means he raised his on-base percentage to .419. No teenager since 1901 has posted an OBP above .415, so if Soto can keep this up, it will be the best OBP of any teenager in "modern" baseball history. Soto also needs 24 more walks this season to set the record for most walks by a teenager.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I love Soto but I'd say there' a pretty good chance he's older than 19...

I wonder too, but they've done a much better job vetting and cleaning that nonsense up. Don't forget, the Smiley Gonzalez fiasco involved paying people off under nincompoop Bowden, who was knee-deep in that ****

43 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I wonder too, but they've done a much better job vetting and cleaning that nonsense up. Don't forget, the Smiley Gonzalez fiasco involved paying people off under nincompoop Bowden, who was knee-deep in that ****

I’m encouraged by the fact he *looks* like he’s 19. Goofy smile when he’s at the plate, still has a little baby face to him. 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I love Soto but I'd say there' a pretty good chance he's older than 19...

Still a very impressive year nonetheless

Yes.  I'd say that is a possibility.  But he's not playing well "for a 19 year old."  He's playing amazingly well regardless of age.  His current OPS of .973 puts him 6th in all of MLB.  The only people above him are Betts, Trout, Jose Ramirez, JD Martinez and Arenado.  

Nationals are doing what they're supposed to be doing - something they've been struggling with for a few weeks: beating up on scrubs. I said earlier in the season the Nats came off as bullies - beating on cellar dwellers while wilting against contenders but leading up to the All-Star Game, it seemed like they struggled against vastly inferior competition. It's only a three game winning streak so far but it's a sight better than what we've been getting for a healthy chunk of the summer. Hopefully, this is the start of an actual turnaround for the team and they can play strong baseball against contenders. 

WASHINGTON -- The Nationals do not expect Stephen Strasburg, who threw from 90 feet on flat ground Wednesday, to need an extended stint on the disabled list, but manager Dave Martinez said he will play catch one more time before he is ready to throw off a mound.

"I watched him yesterday, and he was throwing the ball really good," Martinez said. "And that's just throwing off flat ground, 90 feet. His shoulder feels good, so hopefully we're beyond the whole neck thing, and we can start progressing a little quicker than normal."

View Full Game Coverage

Strasburg was placed on the DL last week, retroactive to July 22, with a pinched nerve in his neck and was eligible to return Wednesday. Even though Strasburg said he felt completely different after receiving a scalene block injection, the Nats are going to make sure they ease him back into action.

Martinez confirmed he will likely need a Minor League rehab start before he rejoins the Nats' rotation. That means left-hander Tommy Milone, who struck out nine in seven innings of one-run ball in Wednesday's 5-3 victory against the Mets, will remain in the rotation for now.

"I definitely don't want to rush [Strasburg]," Martinez said. "I want to get him back and get him back for the rest of the season."

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Next week will be the real test: Atl, @Chc, @Stl

Not to mention the current four game series. Yes, the Reds are struggling but it's going to be important for the Nats to blitz through this series. If the team's turned the corner in earnest, they should at least take 3 out of 4 (barring an improbable, lights out performance from one of Cincinnati's SP or another freak injury). Hitting's been solid the past few games and the pitching staff seems to be getting its barrings back. They gotta take this series because they're about to run into some buzzsaws. 

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

So in 2 years he'll get traded to the A's and become an all-star?

Or the Pirates.

I love Doolittle, but the A's made out like bandits on that trade. Treinen finally lived up to his billing and Luzardo looks fantastic 

Archived