Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

The past week has made this a very tough spot for the Nats. They've looked listless and unimpressive....but they've gained a game or two in the standings. They have issues that they need to address, but the division is theirs for the taking. 

It's not ridiculous to hold and see what happens...and this is coming from the guy who said you should trade Harper back in June haha

I can see the arguments on both sides, which is why I'm pretty agnostic about how they approach it.  I also assume the Rizzo has A LOT more information than anyone else ... and this is coming from the guy who named his dog Harper.  

Argument for standing pat: 

-you can always trade players in Aug

-Nats play the Braves and Phillies a total of 10x in August (six vs Philly). We will know where they stand by then. 

-Braves have a brutal remaining schedule 

-Braves and Phillies play each other 7x in the last week and a half of the year. Nats just need to be within 3 games at that point. 

-Nats last two weeks includes 5 vs Miami and 4 vs NYM before capping off with 3 vs Rockies. 

8 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

-Nats play the Braves and Phillies a total of 10x in August (six vs Philly). We will know where they stand by then. 

-Braves and Phillies play each other 7x in the last week and a half of the year. Nats just need to be within 3 games at that point. 

I think it's a matter of 2 weeks before the Braves are out of the picture, to be honest. This will come down to the Nats' ability to catch Philly and/or their ability to jump over the 19 teams vying for the wild card spot. 

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think it's a matter of 2 weeks before the Braves are out of the picture, to be honest. This will come down to the Nats' ability to catch Philly and/or their ability to jump over the 19 teams vying for the wild card spot. 

Would have agreed before Phillies dropped 4 straight. 

20 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

-Nats last two weeks includes 5 vs Miami and 4 vs NYM before capping off with 3 vs Rockies. 

Argument for selling:

- we have played like **** for an overwhelming majority of the season

39 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Exactly.  Every year it seems we get a home stretch against our divison where if things go well we start padding our record.  That's our last chance to catch up, but it's sitting right in front of us, absolute can close a 6 game gap with 2 months left, that's entirely possible, not even unrealistic.

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

At least you guys get a sense of what it's like to be an O's fan for a day...

I wish this was an aberration but the Lerners are terrible owners and have been since day 1. They refuse to pay market value for quality managers to manage a contending team. They go over Rizzo to negotiate ****ty deals for ****ty players. They refuse to let our GM make quality baseball moves when they are prudent. They sign big name players to big contracts with tons of deferred money, making us less competitive in the future. 

The end of the Nats as contenders is gonna be a ****ing brutal and take a long time to recover from. That might be now... not sure yet.

16 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I wish this was an aberration but the Lerners are terrible owners and have been since day 1. They refuse to pay market value for quality managers to manage a contending team. They go over Rizzo to negotiate ****ty deals for ****ty players. They refuse to let our GM make quality baseball moves when they are prudent. They sign big name players to big contracts with tons of deferred money, making us less competitive in the future. 

The end of the Nats as contenders is gonna be a ****ing brutal and take a long time to recover from. That might be now... not sure yet.

I can't see that...you just have too much talent. 

10 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I can't see that...you just have too much talent. 

Scherzer will hit a wall at some point. He’s 34. Strasburg is always hurt. We don’t have any really good young pitchers waiting in the wings. Zero. 

Bryce is gone after this year. Rendon is gone after next year. We have no 1B, we have no catcher. We’ve got like one close to MLB-ready infield prospect. 

Bullpen will I’ll need a total retool other than Doolittle and Kintzler (who also aren’t getting younger).

The cupboard is bare and we’ll probably have too many holes to fill to realistically expect to be true contenders in 2019-2020.

8 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Scherzer will hit a wall at some point. He’s 34. Strasburg is always hurt. We don’t have any really good young pitchers waiting in the wings. Zero. 

Bryce is gone after this year. Rendon is gone after next year. We have no 1B, we have no catcher. We’ve got like one close to MLB-ready infield prospect. 

Bullpen will I’ll need a total retool other than Doolittle and Kintzler (who also aren’t getting younger).

The cupboard is bare and we’ll probably have too many holes to fill to realistically expect to be true contenders in 2019-2020.

Wow, I didn't think it was that dire...

I love your OF moving forward and you are strong at SS obviously too. Is Rendon gone? Without tying up money on Harper, isn't he likely to stay?

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

At least you guys get a sense of what it's like to be an O's fan for a day...

I've heard this a lot recently--the Nats are in a much better position moving forward than the O's did this time last year. The Os would have been better to sell off last off-season

14 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Kintzler to Cubs close..

They just moved Chatwood to the bullpen. Chatwood is under contract two more years at $12-13m. 5th starter profile but Nats need arms this year and next, and Cubs might want to unload an expensive mediocre pitcher. 

45 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Curious move to trade Kintzler. I am sure there is more to it that we'll never hear. The #DoSomethingRizzo Crowd is on full-meltdown.

should be #DoSomethingLerners

Rizzo is so clearly handcuffed here

you can't say you're going for the NL East title then not bring in any immediate help. the rhetoric doesn't match the actions

Archived