Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

He was last year, like resurgence good. 

Really... that's your response? He's been out all year and now he's not good?  How long did it take for Murphy to get over .200 when he came back?

Even in his resurgent year, he had a 2.7 WAR. The 2nd half of last season, he played 64 games and had 62 strikeouts vs 80 games in hte first half where had 64 strikeouts.

Looking at the last few years, last season was the outlier. He isn't good. Hoping for Zimmerman to "get back" to his top level isn't going to save this season.

Also, I am glad Murphy is getting better. Hopefully he can be used in a trade also.

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

Also, I am glad Murphy is getting better. Hopefully he can be used in a trade also.

You lost me right here with this chicken little nonsense. 

Yes, last year came out of nowhere, he got moved to 1st base for a reason.  I've said it before I'll say it again, we do not have a managerial staff to get the most out these players we have. 

But going straight yard sale?  I think you should sleep on that one.

Tomorrow's going to suck. Probably.

Short term fan in me wants them to get Realmuto and make one last run at it.

But long term fan knows it's probably the right move to ship off some guys. Haven't really experienced that as a Nats fan yet. Unless i'm forgetting someone, prior to 2012, they never even really had someone with the right contract that was good enough to sell. Adam Dunn comes to mind but that's about it.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You lost me right here with this chicken little nonsense. 

Yes, last year came out of nowhere, he got moved to 1st base for a reason.  I've said it before I'll say it again, we do not have a managerial staff to get the most out these players we have. 

But going straight yard sale?  I think you should sleep on that one.

Dawg, I am thinking about the future. This season's over. This core's washed. They already leaking stories about hating each other and the manager as well. Writing is on the wall. You can say what you want about the managerial staff. I agree it is awful, but these guys are all on the last year of their contract. You have to move from them. The last thing I want is for the Nats to have nothing to show when these free agents leave.

And Zimmerman ain't good. He had one good season out of 5. He is not going to save us. Let it go.

2 minutes ago, skinswillwin06 said:

Tomorrow's going to suck. Probably.

Short term fan in me wants them to get Realmuto and make one last run at it.

But long term fan knows it's probably the right move to ship off some guys. Haven't really experienced that as a Nats fan yet. Unless i'm forgetting someone, prior to 2012, they never even really had someone with the right contract that was good enough to sell. Adam Dunn comes to mind but that's about it.

Alfonso Soriano who they failed to trade.

Also got Ramos for Matt Capps. 

18 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Dawg, I am thinking about the future. This season's over. This core's washed. They already leaking stories about hating each other and the manager as well. Writing is on the wall. You can say what you want about the managerial staff. I agree it is awful, but these guys are all on the last year of their contract. You have to move from them. The last thing I want is for the Nats to have nothing to show when these free agents leave.

And Zimmerman ain't good. He had one good season out of 5. He is not going to save us. Let it go.

Future?  That's same thing they was saying when they put Stras on ice.  There is no future, only right now.  6 games back, two months.

So who we not bringing back, since we're having this conversation now:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSN/washington-nationals-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

Yall want to waste Scherzer trying to rebuild the roster?  You have no promises either way.

Edit:  I mean FFS yall, Yankees are 5.5 back in their division.  Oh, because it's not easy and we aren't tailwhipping the divison anymore it's too hard?  Call me if we miss playoffs, then we can talk.

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Future?  That's same thing they was saying when they put Stras on ice.  There is no future, only right now.  6 games back, two months.

So who we not bringing back, since we're having this conversation now:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSN/washington-nationals-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

Yall want to waste Scherzer trying to rebuild the roster?  You have no promises either way.

Edit:  I mean FFS yall, Yankees are 5.5 back in their division.  Oh, because it's not easy and we aren't tailwhipping the divison anymore it's too hard?  Call me if we miss playoffs, then we can talk.

Putting Strasburg on ice may have prevented him from becoming Matt Harvey. (and Strasburg struggled the tail end of that season too)

LOL at comparing the Nationals to the Yankees. The Yankees are 30 games over .500 and 5.5 up on the Wildcard. Neither of which is the case for the Nats.

And unfortunately, we may have to decide on Scherzer. It will not be this season as he is going to win another CY Young, but there will be a point where he starts slowing down, and we may have to profit.

59 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Putting Strasburg on ice may have prevented him from becoming Matt Harvey. (and Strasburg struggled the tail end of that season too)

LOL at comparing the Nationals to the Yankees. The Yankees are 30 games over .500 and 5.5 up on the Wildcard. Neither of which is the case for the Nats.

And unfortunately, we may have to decide on Scherzer. It will not be this season as he is going to win another CY Young, but there will be a point where he starts slowing down, and we may have to profit.

Idk what you laughing for, the season is not over and that's the point.  If we had limited Stras innings we coulda got at least one playoff start out of him, we played him like we thought we'd be back every year. You blow this up there's no way to know if well ever get this close again.  Think you're so smart, we end up looking Baltimore out of nowhere.

This feels more like cutting and running like it's a damn video game then using what we got.  Our reputation as a spoiled fan base will be sealed with blowing this up.  Play out the season and go from there. So glad you arent GM, you realize how hard it is to be a perinnial playoff baseball team?  Like we never had a down year before, gimme a break.

Cutting and running let's jus pick from the magic save the franchise tree like everybody else does, unreal.

Get rid of the old guys, keep the roster young and hungry to prove themselves. That's what all perennially successful franchises do. This isn't rocket science. Guys like Rendon and Scherzer are great pieces to build a team around because they take care of business and perform at a high level. Divas and players who are consistently injured are not. Nobody cares if you have an axe to grind with your inexperienced manager that you've spent a whopping 3 months with. Do your job and you'll get paid. 

It breaks my heart that Harper doesn't seem to have a future here, because he's a great core player that puts butts in the seats and enables future FA moves. Alas. 

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Yup. Put ya lifebelts on. Women and children first.

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Idk what you laughing for, the season is not over and that's the point

You know exactly why I laughed. You made a nonsensical comparison and expected it to be taken serious.

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Our reputation as a spoiled fan base will be sealed with blowing this up. 

Your posts on this topic have depicted this.

I don’t know if the Nats will be good again. What is clear as day is this team is not anywhere close and have a lot of free agents. It’s time to move them.

Man, are the Nats going to ship Harper?  That’s crazy.  I know they’ve been sucking this season but I thought the general thought was that the talent alone would get this team to the post season.

Ive only watched a handful of games.  I know injury is an issue this season, but what else? Does the new manager blow?  This team used to be so optimistic...

You know exactly why I laughed. You made a nonsensical comparison and expected it to be taken serious.

Your posts on this topic have depicted this.

The only reason this sounds nonsensical is because your ready to throw the baby out with the bath water.  Im waiting until the season is over decide what to do, your saying it's already over, I vehemently disagree.

I don’t know if the Nats will be good again. What is clear as day is this team is not anywhere close and have a lot of free agents. It’s time to move them.

That should be reason for caution, not the nuclear option. I asked who you wanted to let walk, I'd be fine with Zimmerman, on fence with Gio, absolutely not with getting rid of Murphy.   You and I might not be that far off, but you aren't being specific enough.  We have a lot of young talent, but we could be outside looking if we don't put around them what they need.  Even more young players who trying to figure it out, we've seen that before in other teams and other sports.  

34 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Man, are the Nats going to ship Harper?  That’s crazy.  I know they’ve been sucking this season but I thought the general thought was that the talent alone would get this team to the post season.

Ive only watched a handful of games.  I know injury is an issue this season, but what else? Does the new manager blow?  This team used to be so optimistic...

Well they would be foolish to not at least listen to offers for a valuable player they most likely won't be getting back. So why not put it out there they are willing to trade him for the right price and see what type of offers come in. Today could go either way. They can either sell off a bunch of pieces or pick up Ramos and a starter for the rotation, gut check themselves and get back into the race. Who knows, what I do know is they better not pull a Capitals and make a Forsberg for Erat type trade with Robles. I'd like to see them make moves to try and win this year, but it just doesn't seem in the cards. They just can't get it together for more than a game or two at a time. It's just one of those years where nothing goes right it seems.

Personally I've already resigned myself to not having Harper next year. 300 million is just a lot of money and can go towards a bunch of other stuff. I'd like to have him but seems like the writing has been on the wall so if a good offer comes I don't care if they trade him. Trading him doesn't even doom the rest of this season if that's the only piece that goes.

6 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

300 million is just a lot of money and can go towards a bunch of other stuff. 

Been feeling the same way all year, and not jus for us.  Has it been confirmed that Boras is still looking for $300 million?  I guess the only good news about that is no one is going to give to him after hovering around .200 most of the year.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Been feeling the same way all year, and not jus for us.  Has it been confirmed that Boras is still looking for $300 million?  I guess the only good news about that is no one is going to give to him after hovering around .200 most of the year.

Not sure honestly but 300 mil has been the number people talking about the situation have been tossing around all weekend still. 

On 6/14/2018 at 12:57 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Let me take this a step further...with Robles and Soto looking like great additions to the outfield (along with Eaton and MAT), would there be anything that could happen over the next month that would make anyone here open to trading Harper at the deadline? I suppose that's tougher for a contending team (I'm an O's fan and the only thing I'm still following in 2018 is the potential trade of Machado), but it would also be nice to get something for an asset if you think you'll be out-bid in the off-season. 

I'm not usually a "quote my on post" guy, but I was asking about trading Harper about 6 weeks ago...it's always made perfect sense to at least consider it! 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Does the new manager blow?

yes

And its time for people to look at the people Rizzo and the Lerners have hired. They clearly don't like big personalities and that has wasted 3 seasons during this run.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

The only reason this sounds nonsensical is because your ready to throw the baby out with the bath water.  Im waiting until the season is over decide what to do, your saying it's already over, I vehemently disagree.

It was nonsensical because you compared the Yankees situation to the Nationals. You didn't think it through. I am trying to give you an out and you keep running back in because you didn't think this through.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

That should be reason for caution, not the nuclear option. I asked who you wanted to let walk, I'd be fine with Zimmerman, on fence with Gio, absolutely not with getting rid of Murphy.   You and I might not be that far off, but you aren't being specific enough.  We have a lot of young talent, but we could be outside looking if we don't put around them what they need.  Even more young players who trying to figure it out, we've seen that before in other teams and other sports.  

Daniel Murphy is going to be a DH next season. Why keep him?

Gio is not coming back and we shouldn't be looking to bring him back. I don't know if demand is out there for him.

This core had 7 seasons and is now playing like a losing ball club. It's over. We have to start it over.

I really don't know what I hope they do.  I just want to fast forward the next 12 hours so we can get it over with.  My instinct is that this group's window is closed and they should sell, but I can't imagine that even Bryce would bring that much in return, given that he's a rental and having a mediocre-at-best season by his standards.

25 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

I really don't know what I hope they do.  I just want to fast forward the next 12 hours so we can get it over with.  My instinct is that this group's window is closed and they should sell, but I can't imagine that even Bryce would bring that much in return, given that he's a rental and having a mediocre-at-best season by his standards.

I think the best thing for this team to do (unless you guys are blown away with an offer for Bryce) is to stand pat. I certainly wouldn't buy, but you are nowhere near out of the race...the Phillies and Braves have cooled significantly and there's essentially a 55-game sprint to make up 6 games. 

29 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

you're not wrong, but if they think there is no chance he re-signs, the prospect just needs to be better than whats available at comp pick we would get in return

for this to be such a big call, i'm pretty ambivalent about the entire matter. If he stays, I understand, if he's traded, I understand. Not giving up on his talent, but I hoped for more consistency from him by now. We got one glimpse of the all-time great talent he possesses, the rest of the time, he's been a really good player, but not one that is irreplaceable 

30 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

It was nonsensical because you compared the Yankees situation to the Nationals. You didn't think it through. I am trying to give you an out and you keep running back in because you didn't think this through.

I don't need an out, the Yankees have competition in their division and so do we, that's going to happen from time to time.

30 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Daniel Murphy is going to be a DH next season. Why keep him?

Gio is not coming back and we shouldn't be looking to bring him back. I don't know if demand is out there for him.

This core had 7 seasons and is now playing like a losing ball club. It's over. We have to start it over.

Murphy is up to .271 now and was an all-star last year, now he's done?  1-2 year contract should not be out the question. Like I said, I'm on fence with Gio, but you still haven't given me a list of who you want to let walk, you jus keep saying you want to blow it up (which I don't agree with).  Keep in mind whoever we let leave we need to either find or get a replacement that's same level or better.  No cutting our nose to spite our face.

You haven't touched my concern about having too many young guys and the danger of wasting players like Scherzer and Strasburg waiting for all the youngins to be in their prime.  Sounds more like you're open to trading them too, like you want to scrap us down to expansion team level and hope we can build back up.

Archived