Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

Rizzo insistent that they aren’t going to sell. It would be exceptionally poor management if they aren’t at least having discussions, establishing what a trade for certain players would look like, etc. 

I don’t think we have the rotation arms to be competitive in 2019. We’ll have 2-3 slots to fill, tough to do that in one offseason. So if you’re serious about a mini-rebuild, including guys that are under contract next year too. Keep all your core guys that will be there for 4-6 more years. Everyone else on the table. 

Here’s something else looming large... Strasburg has opt outs after 2019 and 2020. Scherzer is still highly effective but he’s also getting up there in age. Eventually you expect him to hit a wall. I’m not sure “the window” is still open after this year without aggressively trying to add young quality rotation arms. You could probably add pieces to put together a decent team next year, but you’re fast approaching the point where moves will have to be made to get younger ASAP.

I still trust in Rizzo. He's not going to say they are sellers out loud until the last min possible. Things this year have been bad. They probably shouldn't have hired a 1st time manager. I also think keeping Dusty wasn't the answer either. So..... I don't know.

Not making a chance at hitting or pitching coaches during the break was a mistake as well.

Of course - of course they blew it. Of course they blew it despite Zimmerman having a great, three hit game. Of course they blew it after coming out of the gate hot and scoring four runs in the first two innings. 

Of course they blew it. 

big_1476476971_image.jpg

"Now THIS is D.C. Baseball!"

45 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

You could probably add pieces to put together a decent team next year, but you’re fast approaching the point where moves will have to be made to get younger ASAP.

This is spot on. We will be an 85-win team next year, even if we retain Harper. Our rotation will be Max, Stras, Roark and ???. I have no faith Roark will rebound, I think he's maxed out his talent. He is a great story and was a very good pitcher, but I think he's on that downward slope. Gio is gone. None of our pitchers have developed like we hoped in the minors. Fedde is ineffective and injury prone--I think they should put him in the pen and leave him there. Ross is coming back but that's a HUGE question mark. He should be nearing rehab assignment this year--August time frame I thought. He hasn't proven he can stay healthy either.

The other problem we're facing is the Luxury Tax. According to Baseball Reference, we have ~$159m on the books already (although they have Max at $42.1m--which I think is high because they deferred so much of his salary, depending on how the baseball accounting system works). If we don't sign Bryce (and I am becoming increasingly pessimistic we will resign him--for better or worse), our OF next year looks like Soto-MAT/Robles-Eaton; with Murphy leaving, the infield would be Rendon-Turner-Kendrick/Difo/Kieboom-Zimm/FA. Thankfully Wieters is gone, but that leaves another hole.

We need to get at least 2 pitchers--unless Ross has some kind of jump.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is spot on. We will be an 85-win team next year, even if we retain Harper. Our rotation will be Max, Stras, Roark and ???. I have no faith Roark will rebound, I think he's maxed out his talent. He is a great story and was a very good pitcher, but I think he's on that downward slope. Gio is gone. None of our pitchers have developed like we hoped in the minors. Fedde is ineffective and injury prone--I think they should put him in the pen and leave him there. Ross is coming back but that's a HUGE question mark. He should be nearing rehab assignment this year--August time frame I thought. He hasn't proven he can stay healthy either.

The other problem we're facing is the Luxury Tax. According to Baseball Reference, we have ~$159m on the books already (although they have Max at $42.1m--which I think is high because they deferred so much of his salary, depending on how the baseball accounting system works). If we don't sign Bryce (and I am becoming increasingly pessimistic we will resign him--for better or worse), our OF next year looks like Soto-MAT/Robles-Eaton; with Murphy leaving, the infield would be Rendon-Turner-Kendrick/Difo/Kieboom-Zimm/FA. Thankfully Wieters is gone, but that leaves another hole.

We need to get at least 2 pitchers--unless Ross has some kind of jump.

Yep. It’s blasphemous to say this but with how sketchy 2019 is looking, I’d have Scherzer and Rendon on the table too (unless you’re confident you can extend Rendon this offseason). Maximize your return. Set your team up to be truly competitive in 2020-2021 when your new  young core are reaching their peak, and hope those guys can get it done because the current group sure couldn’t. 

12 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Cespedes to undergo surgery on both heels, one at a time.  Will be out a minimum of 8-10 months, but could be longer (will not be shorter).

So at least there's still the LOLMets!

he already secured the bag, time to put them feets up

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

whats the plan at short in that case?

Difo to short until Carter Keiboom is ready.  That said, it better be an amazing haul to trade Trey Turner.

BTW, Bryce just hit a 3-run homer. Nats up 6-0.

Archived