Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

40 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Is it just a given that Ryan Zimmerman has no intention of being a leader?  The narrative with the Nats is that they dissolve when they don't have a strong manager and/or Werth.  Why does Zimm never get mentioned?

Edit:  Yes, my frustration has gotten to the point where I am going to :chair: on Ryan Zimmerman for a bit.  Buckle in.  

Zimm isn't a leader. Never has been never will be. The only leader this team's ever really had was Werth. I don't count Scherzer because to me, Ps can't be leaders on baseball teams. Gotta be someone who plays everyday.

15 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Werth and Davey Johnson in 2013 disproves this. Matt Williams was MOY in 2014.

Williams won MOY entirely based on the fact that he inherited a strong team.  It's pretty rare that a rookie manager takes over an already-playoff ready squad.

15 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Because he isnt a rah-rah guy, similar to Rendon. Max is the leader. I think Eaton is that guy too.

Leaders don't need to be rah-rah guys.  There are different styles of leadership.  Zimmerman has been around FOREVER, and he's not exactly carrying the load on the field.  There have been numerous "lack of leadership" articles out in the past 3 weeks.  All of them say Scherzer, nobody mentions Zimm.  

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Same team that expected to go to the World Series in 2013 but underperformed by only winning 86 games, yes, that one.  

So, would you take Williams over Johnson?

Point is, the manager has very little to do with results on the field

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

LOL, how do you get from me saying, basically, Williams sucked, to that?  Just stop it.  Williams was not a good manager (and you know this).  He had one good year where the team won without him having to do anything (and you know this).  Then he had a disaster of a year.  Davey had one bad year thanks to crushingly high expectations (and you know this).  Basically the same team that generated those crushingly high expectations provided Williams with his one good year.  I know you know all of this and don't need me to explain it to you.  

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

LOL, how do you get from me saying, basically, Williams sucked, to that?

I might have misread your post. I just get tired of the idea that Werth or Dusty could have prevented this disaster...or am I way off base?

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

I might have misread your post. I just get tired of the idea that Werth or Dusty could have prevented this disaster...or am I way off base?

I think you may have (generally you and I are on the same page in this thread).  I don't think having Werth helps this team considerably (or, at least, any help in the clubhouse is offset by him being too old to play at a high level).  I go back and forth on the Dusty/Davey M thing.  Nothing much Davey can do about Gio and Roark sucking so bad and the crazy amount of injuries.  Which is why it's so frustrating.  

The most disappointing thing to me is that Bryce Harper should be - at his age and at this point in his career - the offensive catalyst of this team.  Yet time after time at key points he strikes out instead of delivering a clutch hit. 

Remember back when there was a legitimate argument as to who was the better player, Bryce Harper or Mike Trout?  God that seems so long ago.

He's third in the National League in strikeouts, with 107 already this year. And there are only TWO players in the entire National League (with the requisite number of plate appearances) who have a lower batting average than Bryce Harper. 

He's Danny Espinosa at the plate right now.

Checking back in - seems like the Nats have won enough (and the Braves/Phillies have cooled enough) to buy or hold rather than sell. 

I had been saying for a while that if they dropped too far back by 7/31 they should look to trade some pieces, including Harper. That hasn't happened. Do you think they'll dive in and buy or just hold and see what happens? 

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Do you think they'll dive in and buy or just hold and see what happens?

I was listening to MLB Network Radio the other day, they were advocating selling the farm to win this year. Clearly, they haven't been paying attention. This team is broken and will continue to flounder. They're 10 games under .500 over the last 6 weeks or so.

I think they'll hold, hope for a miracle, and make some significant changes in the off season.

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I was listening to MLB Network Radio the other day, they were advocating selling the farm to win this year. Clearly, they haven't been paying attention. This team is broken and will continue to flounder. They're 10 games under .500 over the last 6 weeks or so.

I think they'll hold, hope for a miracle, and make some significant changes in the off season.

Honestly, removing emotion, it's probably the right play...

I have no horse in the race, but considering how untested their competition is in the division, there's really no telling when Philly and/or Atlanta might realize they are a year or two early and start pressing. I understand the Nats don't exactly have many pennant races under their belt either, but they've played on the big stage before. 

Also (and this would be using some emotion) imagine the symmetry with the Caps if the Nats made a run after looking like this heading into August. It would be almost the baseball equivalent of what the Caps did and it's probably just as desperate right now as that season seemed to be among Caps fans. It's all rainbows now, but people were calling for the firing of Trotz, claiming the Ovechkin-era window was closing, etc. 

Rizzo won't sell the farm but he won't be fireselling the team either. I think he'll just accept that this is one of those weird down years and try to bounce back next year. If Harper leaves, we'll have money freed up to shore up C, 1B, and the #3 SP spot.

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Point is, the manager has very little to do with results on the field

Does he? 

The Nats hired a no name manager. They are in danger of missing the playoffs. 

The YAnkees and Red Sox hired new managers. Both are doing well. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Rizzo won't sell the farm but he won't be fireselling the team either. I think he'll just accept that this is one of those weird down years and try to bounce back next year. If Harper leaves, we'll have money freed up to shore up C, 1B, and the #3 SP spot.

I'm on board for Dallas Keuchel taking Gio's spot. We'll also need pen help with Kelley, Herrera, and Madson all FAs.

55 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Anyone else notice the very attractive female behind and just to the left of home plate?

if memory serves her story made the rounds on the internet a year or two ago, she's always there apparently

Kintzler's arm is done, he's been overworked

55 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Anyone else notice the very attractive female behind and just to the left of home plate?

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

if memory serves her story made the rounds on the internet a year or two ago, she's always there apparently

And she’s keeping a scorebook.  A baseball fan’s dream girl. 

Archived