Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bring Back Scot McCloughan

robotfire

+Should we bring back Scot McCloughan?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. In the offseason, should the Redskins bring back Scot McCloughan?

• Yes, bring him back and fire Bruce Allen
    • Yes, bring him back and keep Bruce Allen
    • No, he has a drinking problem and was fired for good reason
    • No, but for another reason

Redskins fans have become tired.  Even if we finish 8-8, the fans are just not in it anymore.  According to another thread, hardly anybody believes the Redskins will win a Super Bowl under Dan Snyder.  I answered that way.  Dan Snyder allowed Bruce Allen to fire McCloughan, after all.  Allen has proven nothing, and he seems to want to run a franchise quarterback out of town.

McCloughan, on the other hand, has stated that he would do what's necessary to bring back Kirk Cousins: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-redskins-gm-scot-mccloughan-explains-what-hed-do-with-kirk-cousins/
Also, he said he would come back: https://riggosrag.com/2017/08/09/redskins-scot-mccloughan-could-come-back/

I submit that if you fire Bruce Allen and bring back Scot McCloughan, the fans' issues will be resolved.

not a fan.  Looking at his draft history he has had little success finding people at some of the positions we're weakest, his skill at getting "value" by going for guys with injury history seems to have netted us quite a few frequently injured guys and at least one of his so called football guys just quit on us

10 minutes ago, carex said:

not a fan.  Looking at his draft history he has had little success finding people at some of the positions we're weakest, his skill at getting "value" by going for guys with injury history seems to have netted us quite a few frequently injured guys and at least one of his so called football guys just quit on us

Some of that problem can be directly pointed at the scouts.

There needs to be change there as well, but I'd be for bringing back Scot, just for the entertainment value of seeing him and Bruce fight for the last bottle of scotch...

It will never happen, especially after the court fight.  I think Scott was fairly well-regarded thoughout the NFL, by players, agents, and many of his peers.  But it would have been nice if McCloughan could be here to overhaul the scouting department as he had intended to do.

A lot of good scouts from his old network became available when the 49ers changed management -- some were highly regarded and quickly found jobs with other NFL franchises.  I suspect they would have been willing to come work for the Skins under McCloughan -- but that was about the time that Allen was seizing power and trying to push McCloughan out. Ironically, one of the few additions to the Skins scouting staff was someone who McCloughan had let go when he was with the 49ers.

I definitely don't think he's coming back but I think the team might continue to use his services.  As much as everyone says Bruce believes he's the best evaluator of talent it didn't matter last year when we supposedly still used Scott's board for the draft. 

1 minute ago, jschuck12001 said:

I think the team might continue to use his services.  As much as everyone says Bruce believes he's the best evaluator of talent it didn't matter last year when we supposedly still used Scott's board for the draft. 

It's not about Bruce believing he's the best talent evaluator out there.  It's about Bruce meddling and not letting a much better talent evaluator make all the decisions.  I find it very hard to believe that the Redskins and Scot are still doing business together.  They followed Scot's board/plan because of the timing of his termination.  They simply didn't have the time to do anything else.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It's not about Bruce believing he's the best talent evaluator out there.  It's about Bruce meddling and not letting a much better talent evaluator make all the decisions.  I find it very hard to believe that the Redskins and Scot are still doing business together.  They followed Scot's board/plan because of the timing of his termination.  They simply didn't have the time to do anything else.

If he doesn't believe he's the best talent evaluator then why would he meddle?

If he is so dead set that his beliefs are correct and others are wrong then why did we use Scott's board?

Some things just don't add up.

2 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Some of that problem can be directly pointed at the scouts.

There needs to be change there as well, but I'd be for bringing back Scot, just for the entertainment value of seeing him and Bruce fight for the last bottle of scotch...

didn't Scot have a scouting company?  Wasn't his tenure here preceded by that company doing some work for the Skins?

9 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

If he doesn't believe he's the best talent evaluator then why would he meddle?

If he is so dead set that his beliefs are correct and others are wrong then why did we use Scott's board?

Some things just don't add up.

because sometimes one guy wants to go talent, another need.  In the past the Skins have tried talent over need and it's resulted in a glut at one position and nothing at another is one potential reason

I voted yes bring him back and ****can Bruce Allen. Us fans need to pray for a miracle, the only way Bruce will get fired is if someone small can get in Snyder's ear...small being a handful of people that are pointing out what us fans see..us blue and white collar hard core Sunday football fans see..and maybe it will open his eyes... I am one who said that Snyder has done nothing but a **** job running the team since 99, but also do agree that over the last handful of years he has improved, now we just need to pray for a miracle to get him over this final hump and get over his childhood fantasy and let go of the past and let someone in the current run the team.

I do know..I don't know how the hell to run a team..but I sure as hell do know when you pick in the first round every year(despite trades)in the top fifteen since 99 and you only have a couple playoff wins to show for all the high draft picks you know something's wrong...which leads me to:

This is a to each their own thing, and I've tried to wrap my head around it but I don't understand the "hoping to lose for better draft position" at this time of the year. I hear some say "but look if we would have lost those last couple games we could have draft so and so" or "this year if we would have lost this game and that game we could have drafted so and so", I can give a hairy rats ass on players we have missed out on in the draft because we won the last couple games and it changed our draft position, you can give me all those so and so's and put them on this team and we would still remain the offseason Champ's, and that is it I'm telling you right now folks until Snyder pulls his head out of his ass, **** cans Allen and brings in a competent management team, picking high in the draft won't make a **** n bit of difference.

I'd be in favor of bringing him back, but since it's not happening, I'd at least hope for the hiring of a legitimate GM with some....any...kind of winning experience.  Get rid of the structure of how this front office runs all together (which I believe is the real reason GMSM was let go).

I don't necessarily want anyone fired. I am perfectly fine with giving Allen a shot this offseason.  But I do believe this is a huge offseason for him.

That being said; McCloughan has issues and for an organization to move forward in positive direction I don't think that would help.

I support any decision they Redskins make if good football minds convinced Snyder to go in a different direction I would be OK with it, just not McCloughan.

11 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I'd be in favor of bringing him back, but since it's not happening, I'd at least hope for the hiring of a legitimate GM with some....any...kind of winning experience.  Get rid of the structure of how this front office runs all together (which I believe is the real reason GMSM was let go).

Good call nocalmike..

The latest from Florio on the grievance...

All quiet as Scot McCloughan grievance hearing looms

Posted by Mike Florio on December 17, 2017, 4:09 PM EST

489461304-e1510501450420.jpg?w=560&h=316
Getty Images

The grievance filed by former Washington G.M. Scot McCloughan is due to go to a hearing on Monday. On the eve of the proceeding, no one is saying anything.

There have been no leaks, or even drips, as the process approaches for introducing evidence that would, from McCloughan’s perspective, potentially prove a violation of the contract and that would, from the team’s perspective, potentially prove that just cause existed for firing him.

The case, if it proceeds (a settlement is always possible) could entail potentially embarrassing evidence for multiple employees of the team, as it relates to alcohol use on the job. Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports recently reported (accurately) that evidence regarding the availability and the consumption of alcohol by the team on club property likely will be introduced during the hearing.

Earlier this month, PFT obtained a copy of the NFL’s Alcohol and Tobacco Policy. The prohibition on the presence of alcohol is broad.

“NFL policy prohibits the use or presence of alcohol beverages, including beer, in any club setting, including in locker rooms, practice or other facilities, or while traveling, including on team buses or flights at any time during the preseason, regular season or postseason, including during the practice week and on game day,” the policy states. “This prohibition extends not only to players, but to all team personnel, as well as to other guests traveling with the team or who have access to club facilities.”

It won’t take much to establish a violation of the policy, if there’s any evidence of the presence or use of alcohol on team premises during McCloughan’s tenure, by people other than McCloughan.

It also won’t take much to create plenty of awkwardness within the organization, if current employees are asked questions that would elicit truthful testimony that hurts the team’s interests in the case.

Then again, there’s already plenty of awkwardness in the organization regarding McCloughan’s departure. During Bruce Allen’s time with the team, the record was 17-15 with McCloughan in the building. Without McCloughan, Washington is 33-60 under Allen.

I really do not want anyone that as already been here. But I do want a true GM more than I do not want anyone coming back. So if Scot got us a true GM again, awesome. But I prefer they do a true search and get a proper GM. Never going to happen, but it's nice to think about. 

Archived