Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

On 5/10/2018 at 6:24 PM, visionary said:
Re: MD Gov race.
3 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Question for Marylanders - what is so good about Hogan? Haven't lived in that area for a long time so have to ask what is he doing as a Republican that makes him so popular?

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Question for Marylanders - what is so good about Hogan? Haven't lived in that area for a long time so have to ask what is he doing as a Republican that makes him so popular?

He acts like an independent. He's distanced himself from the GOP and Trump for years. It's true the cancer he fought and beat also made him seem more likeable. 

Something policy-wise? I have no idea. 

Putting this here because it's still relevant.

Wisconsin voter ID law suppressed over 200,000 votes, Trump won Wisconsin by about 23,000 votes.

Cheating ****s, the entire Republican party. They can't win by a majority of the popular vote so they cheat, and deny qualified voters from registering, voter ID laws that deny qualified voters from voting, purging voter registration rolls, and anything else that they can think of. 

We need to purge state legislatures of Republicans and make voting registration easy, affordable, etc.

Next election they are working on the machines.

https://www.thenation.com/article/wisconsins-voter-id-law-suppressed-200000-votes-trump-won-by-23000/

9 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I can see multiple ways that could happen.  

One path to that particular doom that I can see, has the Dems winning control of the House.  They're nominally in power, of one half of Congress, but still powerless to do anything whatsoever.  (Well, OK, they can have lots of bombastic hearings about Trump, and they can obstruct some things.  but that's pretty much it.)  

But, what does happen, in that scenario, is that, when the actions which the GOP have already taken, ruin the country, then the GOP all point fingers and yell "They did it!!!" really loudly.  (It's been their schtick for the last 20 years.  Intentionally trash the country, and then yell loudly that somebody else did it.  They're good at it, And it's gotten them power.)  

Frankly, it might be better, if the Dems fall just short of control in the House.  They lose the power to obstruct much.  But the GOP also looses the ability to blame somebody else for the consequences of their actions.  

Although it also depresses me that that is dangerously close to hoping that the country is harmed, a lot, simply so that the GOP can be blamed for it.  

Well it worked for the GOP..... Then I laugh when I see in the gym on Fox news, old white people complaining that Dems are all about hate and not supporting Trump..... Then this old lady proceeds to say Trump has done more than Obama ever did.... Had to leave, Fox News is surreal, like an alternate universe, where Trump is this outstanding moral, Christian president.... Surreal!!! 

On 5/12/2018 at 6:23 PM, nonniey said:

He doesn’t do anything blatant to rally the opposite party. He doesn’t try and close PP clinics. He doesn’t try and roll back the clock on social issues. He just doesn’t engage with all that, which is really pragmatic. He distances himself from Trump in most cases (even didn’t regrow the Borderline Trumpian comb-over after his health scare) 

He’s a great glad-hander and does well in public events. People rallied behind him after the cancer scare. He rolled back tolls and that was a big pop for him (I know I like it!). 

And MD state house can override his veto. He’s not a threat to many Dems because he doesn’t really have as much control as places with a Rep Gov and Congress. 

without getting much into Hogan specifically.... Republicans that flourish in liberal strongholds tend to be a good thing.   They are generally throwbacks, to bygone days before RINO and litmus test issues.   Business-focused "Rockefeller" republicans.... it is something our country needs, and that the GOP has become completely incapable of delivering almost everywhere EXCEPT liberal-strong-hold constituencies.  

so these Republicans are generally a plus, on their own standing , due largely to a a healthy self-selection bias.  

but, ALSO, ideologically monolithic strongholds themselves breed rot.   liberal-only areas get ridiculous, and conservative-only areas get even worse.   ANY one-party islands, regardless of underlying ideology, just get fetid and corrupt... it is so very obvious at the country level, when you see the ****ization of the ANC in South Africa, or the PRI in Mexico, or the LDP in Japan... you need somebody from outside of the monolith to keep the rust off of the important gears.    

(of course.. the longing for this is also how you end up with the electorate buying into loser cowboy "outsider" candidates... and how you end up with ****heads like Trump as president of the united states)

31 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

but, ALSO, ideologically monolithic strongholds themselves breed rot.   liberal-only areas get ridiculous, and conservative-only areas get even worse.   ANY one-party islands, regardless of underlying ideology, just get fetid and corrupt... it is so very obvious at the country level, when you see the ****ization of the ANC in South Africa, or the PRI in Mexico, or the LDP in Japan... you need somebody from outside of the monolith to keep the rust off of the important gears.

Yes, I have noticed that one of the, perhaps the only, thing needed to get some of the monumentally, famous, examples of absolute political idiocy in our system, is a "safe district". 

Create a district in which it is guaranteed that Party X will win, and you've created a district in which the only way a politician can lose power is by losing the primary. Which can only happen if a candidate comes along who is more extreme than the incumbent. 

I wonder if we could posit that perhaps a big part of why the GOP is the group of deplorables that it is, is because they've been so extreme in their gerrymandering. They simply have vastly more "safe districts" than the Dems do. 

Archived