Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

To the original topic, if folks on the left continue to believe and state that the reason people voted for Trump is racism, then the left will continue to lose.  Because even if it's the reason a percentage voted for Trump, it's not a primary factor (ie, they're racists sure, but they were voting for the GOPer no matter what).  And more importantly, claiming it makes everyone who is definitely NOT a racist feel like they are being attacked and ignored.

9 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

To the original topic, if folks on the left continue to believe and state that the reason people voted for Trump is racism, then the left will continue to lose.  Because even if it's the reason a percentage voted for Trump, it's not a primary factor (ie, they're racists sure, but they were voting for the GOPer no matter what).  And more importantly, claiming it makes everyone who is definitely NOT a racist feel like they are being attacked and ignored.

Racism is the sum-total of Trump’s entire platform and campaign.  This was not the case with the 17 contenders he routed in the primaries.

Open your eyes, stop whining and deflecting and clean your house, my friend.  The country needs you...badly.

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Racism is the sum-total of Trump’s entire platform and campaign.  This was not the case with the 17 contenders he routed in the primaries.

Open your eyes, stop whining and deflecting and clean your house, my friend.  The country needs you...badly.

I think you give GOP voters too much credit.

They hated Hillary (we can debate the reasons for hundreds of pages, but the hate was real).  That was it.  They didnt hate her because of Obama, or her gender.  Sure, those things crept into some of the rantings.  But at it's core, she represented everything that folks on the right hate about folks on the left.  WOuld others get the same treatment?  Certainly.  But not the same degree.  Biden would have won handily.  Jim Webb would have been decent enough to get the EVs.  Bernie would have lost, but honetly, would have gotten more support than people think.

You're giving rust belt voters an out when you claim they're voting because of racism.  

8 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I think you give GOP voters too much credit.

They hated Hillary (we can debate the reasons for hundreds of pages, but the hate was real).  That was it.  They didnt hate her because of Obama, or her gender.  Sure, those things crept into some of the rantings.  But at it's core, she represented everything that folks on the right hate about folks on the left.  WOuld others get the same treatment?  Certainly.  But not the same degree.  Biden would have won handily.  Jim Webb would have been decent enough to get the EVs.  Bernie would have lost, but honetly, would have gotten more support than people think.

You're giving rust belt voters an out when you claim they're voting because of racism.  

Im amused that you completely ignored my point that Trump weaponized GOP racism to completely annihilate the GOP primary field...some of whom were very qualified, reasonable candidates.

Why did you do that?

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Im amused that you completely ignored my point that Trump weaponized GOP racism to completely annihilate the GOP primary field...some of whom were very qualified, reasonable candidates.

Why did you do that?

Didnt mean to.  The bigger story from 2016 is not that Trump beat Hillary, it's how he got the nomination.  It was a perfect storm of flawed choices, too many choices, and a brilliant media "strategy".  He didnt "win" it as much as every other person lost it.

It's too easy to now claim that Trump called every Mexican rapists.  But he didnt.  What he said resonated with folks that are afraid that their jobs are going away (they are) and illegal immigrants are taking them (they are not).  And that they are supposed to be okay with rising health costs because the illegal immigrants are using emergency rooms yada yada yada.  It's possible to be anti illegal immigrants (or anti immigration in general for that matter) without being racist.  Nobody else was talking about it.  Or if they were, it was hollow meaningless political bull****.  Which is actually exactly what both sides want it to be.  Except for the Trump base who has seen wages stagnate and jobs disappear and comunities ravaged by drugs etc.  To those people, the idea that the Govt is willing to continue to help everyone except them (again, whether it's true or not) is at the root of their anger.  Not racism.

1 hour ago, Kilmer17 said:

Maybe. Eventually the boomers finally die and the GOP with it.

8 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Do you think the Boomers of today werent the youth of years before?

Not the same youth. The youth of today is socially progressive (a LOT more) and racially tolerant (a LOT more) than the boomers were at that age.

The gap is views is probably larger than any recent generation. We in General X just need to figure out how to be like the youth more than our parents generation.

Just now, Kilmer17 said:

I think that both the youth of today and the GOP of today will change by the time those youths are the same age as the boomers.

It's not trending in a direction that is good for the health of this country. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/05/08/greg-pence-wins-gop-nomination-for-house-seat-once-held-by-brother-mike-pence.html

Greg Pence wins GOP nomination for House seat once held by brother Mike Pence

The older brother of Vice President Mike Pence won the Republican nomination Tuesday for the Indiana U.S. House seat that his sibling held for a dozen years.
Greg Pence easily defeated Muncie entrepreneur Jonathan Lamb and three other opponents in the 6th District GOP primary. Pence, a Columbus businessman who has never held public office, held a major money advantage over Lamb -- raising $1.2 million and spending nearly $1 million as of mid-April.

So you had Trump, then Roy Moore, and now most likely Blankenship.

It's really getting hard to give Republicans any kind of room to stand on when it comes to choosing their candidates and the motivations behind them.

All three of these men have certain similarities in their character profile. Things that the people who vote for them can relate to.

The way I see it, you have a certain profile of people who feel like the american dream is gone for them, they have no hope for the future and they're angry as hell about it (to greater or lesser degrees of vitriol). They feel like something has been taken from them or promises weren't kept. Things like upward mobility, home ownership, and a living wage. And when you're in a position like that for sustained amounts of time it wears on you and changes you, it knocks you down to a baser level on the hierarchy of needs, and consequently makes your nature/behavior more base as well. Especially when you're swinging between hopelessness, impotent rage, and all the other issues that come with not being able to validate your own self-worth or create any respite for yourself from the emotional and economical pressures being faced.

When a person is like that, they are primed for an outlet. A place for their rage to go to, a place for their blame to be affixed, a reason for why all this **** is happening to them. Especially, one that shields them from responsibility and accountability to enough of a degree to still deal with all the **** they go through in life and still be able to look themselves in the mirror or have any type of self-awareness.

When your life is ****, self-awareness/self-reflection are very painful and often avoided, then ran from as the accumulation of things failing creates a mountain of stress, looming around the corner, waiting to be that gorilla sized monkey on a person's back.

Anyways, all that is to say, when you have been molded in this way by pressure and pain and hopelessness, you are ripe for the plucking when it comes to certain con-men. The dope sells itself. If you're already looking for a place for your rage, you'll follow anyone who can show they have the brutality to match it. They want someone with an edge. Lip service to principles will suffice, as long as you take it to the limp-wristed elites who succeed while they suffer.

Just don't come across as establishment, you'll remind them of the bull-**** system that failed them (in their eyes).

****'s crazy, but I understand that mentality, while also wholeheartedly rejecting it as unhealthy.

14 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

They feel like something has been taken from them or promises weren't kept. Things like upward mobility, home ownership, and a living wage. And when your in a position like that for sustained amounts of time it wears on you and changes you, i

The sad thing is if you told them a minority felt this way, they would call he minority entitled and that they are looking for handouts. Gotta be selfmade and just pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Stop whining 

23 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

So you had Trump, then Roy Moore, and now most likely Blankenship.

It's really getting hard to give Republicans any kind of room to stand on when it comes to choosing their candidates and the motivations behind them.

All three of these men have certain similarities in their character profile. Things that the people who vote for them can relate to.

I am willing to give people a mulligan on Trump.  After all, there was a period of about 20 minutes where I was a Trump supporter.  I quickly grew past that though.  I like to think that many people voted for Trump not because they are racist or whatever.  They are tired of washington politics.  So here comes this "billionaire" ready to shake things up and drain the swamp.  Not beholden to anyone because he has his own money.  Who wouldn't want someone like that?

But then the real trump showed his face.  Some may have taken longer to realize it.  And I don't blame them.  Unless they still don't realize it.  People that still support Trump at this point make a strong case for eugenics.  

Same with people that identify as a Republican.  I did for a number of years.  And many times I told myself that the party just had poor leaders but principles were sound.  At some point you have to realize that the principles don't exist there anymore.  And if you still identify with that party, it is really hard for me to still offer you that mulligan.

And if you supported or voted for Moore and/or Blankenship, you are exactly the person I talk about in the last 4 words of paragraph 2.

The Latest: Incumbent loses GOP North Carolina House primary
U.S. Rep. Robert Pittenger has lost a Republican primary for his seat in North Carolina to the Rev. Mark Harris, a Baptist pastor he only narrowly beat two years ago.
Both Pittinger and Harris campaigned as evangelical Christians who would outdo the other to support President Donald Trump, who did not endorse either candidate.
Harris won Tuesday among GOP voters and now must take on Democrat Dan McCready, a Marine veteran who has raised almost $2 million to compete in the 9th district, where Trump's victory was narrower than elsewhere in North Carolina.
The district stretches from Charlotte through poorer areas close to Fort Bragg.

This revolt against Trump-style nativism is unfolding in a town that overwhelmingly voted Donald Trump for president; Republicans are among the main organizers of the recall push. And it’s a Muslim story without the Muslims — none are believed to live in the village, so the defense of Islam comes largely from conservative Christians who find Sieting’s views an affront to their faith’s lessons of love and tolerance.

“Clearly, a moral and ethical line was crossed. Is there actually a counterprotest to this?” said Ben Zork, a board member for Kalkaska for Peace who’s lived in the village for a decade. “Whether you wrote it or you shared it, the message that was conveyed that you should kill every Muslim in the world, and then listing the major cities you should annihilate, is in no way justifiable.”

Sieting argues that the only justification he needs is the First Amendment. He said he now regrets leaving in the “killing all Muslims” part of his notorious post, but he’s in too deep to apologize — it would look like capitulation to a liberal agenda he fears will destroy the Kalkaska his family has known for five generations.

“If my family had the ambition to come and chisel this community out of the wilderness,” Sieting said, “then I have the ambition to save it.”

Archived