Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

Just now, Renegade7 said:

That makes sense, more like trying to slow down the Dems in what policy they can enact until GOP can hopefully get power again. 

Believe it was NC that banned local governments from deciding on whether to take Confederate statues down, what's led to so many being toppled over, the legal process the right way basically wasn't allowed anymore or intentionally made damn near impossible.

Here is a good summary.  https://ballotpedia.org/Conflicts_between_Gov._Roy_Cooper_and_the_North_Carolina_General_Assembly

R's were trying to prevent the D Governor from 1) restructuring the Board of Elections (because it favored whoever held the Governors mansion), 2) appoint cabinet officials without state Senate approval, and reduced the number of state government appointments the governor makes from 1500 to 425 and 3) appointing some judges (it prohibited the D governor from filling the next 3 vacancies on the state appeals court).  They also slashed taxes so the governor had no funds to work with to implement his agenda.  

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Anyone else see this NYTimes article from yesterday about the digital divide?  This is germane to our discussion about the feasibility of conducting polling online.  Half the country doesn't use internet the way we do.  

I can't emphasize enough how bad an idea this is and your post is part of the reason why.  We can make all the servers we want, the infrastructure on the client end will never match it or be as trustworthy.

If pretty much every federal agency and fortune 500 company has been hacked at least once, why does anyone think an online election system will be any different?  It's not if, but when, and a bad habit of digitizing our society is not maintaining an analog backup jus in case.

This country is huge, btw, like countries inside of countries, some you can argue are damn near third world, like West Virginia. Overall average speed and usage still shocks me, then you consider places like South Korea and Japan are the size of states, makes more sense, we have a ways to go. 

We can't even trust someone like Michigan with supplying clean water, our infrastructure in general deserves it's own thread.

I've sworn that if I ever sponsor a ballot initiative, (Which will likely happen shortly after winning powerball), it will include language that, if said initistive is not implemented within one year of passage, then no appropriations may be passed until it is. 

Ahhh the gift that keeps on giving. I maintain that the biggest thing to come out of the midterms is the way the overt criminality of the Republicans played out in the glare of the national spotlight. We SEE you, we see the voter suppression and voter denial, we see the ID laws for what they are, we see the vote rigging and ballot box stuffing and all of it............

I want the Dems to take up repairing/replacing/rebuilding the VRA and addressing this as the single most important issue extant. Yes there are a lot of things clamoring for attention but free, fair, open elections is a powerful tool to fight all the other problems.

Lawyers for Ross Spano, a newly elected Republican member of Congress from Florida, admitted to the Federal Election Commission last week that Spano “may have” violated the Federal Campaign Finance Act.

Spano’s violation, though he tries to paint it as an honest oversight, isn’t some simple paperwork error. He appears to have spent “personal loans” on his campaign, which allowed two rich donors to give his campaign a whole lot more than the personal contribution limit of $2,700 per election cycle.

And then Spano then let one of those donors have influence over his staff hiring.

https://shareblue.com/ross-spano-congressman-florida-campaign-finance-law/?fbclid=IwAR1nHZAx8Rbe0eCR9rXTLX6_Hnf0bYyT7wyamId6pPpR8DVDPwe4kEGVnlw

Archived