Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

But, try to see the silver lining here. You now have Ari-freekin-zona represented by two young women, at a time when the political calculus is in flux, that just might find themselves out in front of a wave of female politicians in Congress.

Candidates will put themselves through a lot of contortions in a primary and a general, I am willing to wait n see what happens here.

8 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

But, try to see the silver lining here. You now have Ari-freekin-zona represented by two young women, at a time when the political calculus is in flux, that just might find themselves out in front of a wave of female politicians in Congress.

Candidates will put themselves through a lot of contortions in a primary and a general, I am willing to wait n see what happens here.

She's probably already starting her 're-election' Trump lovefest.

22 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Who would you have preferred Ducy  appoint?

A special election and leave it empty until then.

But preferably someone who wasn't just rejected by the state.  

I assume If Cornyn retires, Beto will get appointed if we are doing things like this.

7 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

She did win the Republican primary. She is the appropriate person for the Republican gov to appoint until an election (special or regular) can be held. 

They already had an election a month ago and she lost.  It would have been much more 'appropriate' for him to appoint another Republican or Democrat who had not been rejected for a senate seat by voters in the state a few weeks ago.  But it is what it is.  Just another way to go around voters.

36 minutes ago, visionary said:

A special election and leave it empty until then.

But preferably someone who wasn't just rejected by the state.  

I assume If Cornyn retires, Beto will get appointed if we are doing things like this.

Just FYI - Arizona law required a Republican be appointed, obviously that didn't have to be McSally. The Freepers are screaming up a storm about her appointment as well (They hate her) they of course wanted Kelli Ward.

I did want McSally appointed as Blitz pointed out she did win the Republican nomination and since it had to be a Republican.......

Kelli Ward would have been the inappropriate one, given that McSally just beat her in the primary. 

i do not understand the argument that “AZ voters rejected her” therefore she shouldn’t  get the appointment. She handily won the R primary and narrowly lost the general. She’s evidently pretty popular among AZ Republicans and the seat is 100% going to a Republican. She probably has the best chance to hold the seat in a general election given her name recognition and her not being Kelli Ward. It’s an obvious pick. 

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Kelli Ward would have been the inappropriate one, given that McSally just beat her in the primary. 

i do not understand the argument that “AZ voters rejected her” therefore she shouldn’t  get the appointment. She handily won the R primary and narrowly lost the general. 

It would be interesting if we applied this to every such situation by appointing the losing opponent in the other senate seat.  Or for instance replace Trump with Hillary instead of Pence.  Fun times.  But in any case it would have been more appropriate to appoint someone who hadn't lost in the primary or the general or leave it open, or have a special election shortly where McSally could try again.

12 minutes ago, visionary said:

It would be interesting if we applied this to every such situation by appointing the losing opponent in the other senate seat.  Or for instance replace Trump with Hillary instead of Pence.  Fun times.  But in any case it would have been more appropriate to appoint someone who hadn't lost in the primary or the general or leave it open, or have a special election shortly where McSally could try again.

Laws governing succession or succession appointments should always be followed just as any other law. We start getting away from that and the end result won't be pretty.

4 minutes ago, visionary said:

Why is this the case?  This is a longstanding law, I presume....  Seems unconstitutional to be honest.

Meant to add the wink symbol (since fixed). Just joking.

31 minutes ago, visionary said:

Why would any appointment result in someone from the other party getting the job?  That makes no sense.  The gov didn’t just choose “the losing opponent” he chose someone from his own party that has pretty good credentials, which is why she was in the general to begin with. 

It’s the Republican governors choice to make. McSally is by all accounts popular among sane AZ Republicans, even if she lost a close election in a wave year for Dems. This isnt Ralph Northam tapping Corey Stewart, a nutjob hated by everyone but the crazies. 

You act like there is some long list of sane AZ Republicans to choose from. My recollection is the list is literally McSally, and them people like Chemtrail Kelli and freaking Joe Arpaio. 

Archived