Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

4 minutes ago, Jhans76 said:

Not sure Louis Riddick fits the narrative. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/03/louis-riddick-redskins-claiming-reuben-foster-asinine-playoff-chances-over/?utm_term=.ce756235920b.  

Says disagrees with it and Doug's comments. 

Hmm interesting.  But let's not forget Marty Schottenheimer ripped Dan as a TV analyst in 2000 and then was Dan's HC in 2001.  Which means if they do hire Louis Riddick he'll probably be fired a year later like Marty and those business guys.  

Dan: "I want you to bring an outside perspective and help us correct what we're doing wrong"

Dan 8 months later:  "We don't like your changes and are going to keep doing things the same way we have, I get it now, you're fired"

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree but am not sweating Riddick unless it happens.   What I'd like about him is he screams competence - maybe the most articulate talking head about the NFL right now on air.  But that stuff is secondary at best to me.  He's typically not mentioned by the insider types who track the best talent evaluators as being anything special on that count.

I'd presume the easiest thing to do would be to elevate Kyle Smith.  From the few interviews I've seen of him, he's not charismatic or that articulate but he has a growing rep as a really good evaluator.   Schaffer from what I've seen is articulate and has some charisma but is more of a money guy that a football guy.  I'd rather have the head of personnel being a dude that specializes in personnel -- unless you are really special at other things like lets say Howie Roseman with Philly.  

I don't really see the point to bring guys from outside to solve this mess.

According to many sources we've got what we need in guys like Kyle Smith and Schaefer.  So I'd rather ride along with them than bringing another retread from somewhere.

Anyway, it doesn't really matters who we bring as long as this guy reports to Bruce...

9 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

I’ve read enough good things about him, that’d I’d be cool if they just promoted Eric Schaffer and let him run everything (Business and Football). He’s earned it, been loyal, and probably knows what needs to change.  Would be kind of a Howie Roseman-type move, which worked out great for Philly.

Outsiders that come in keep being blindsided by the culture. 

I like the profile of Kyle over Schaffer but I'd be ok with Schaffer too but with a big but and that is his elevation doesn't cause Kyle to leave.

IMO having a guy in the building that kicks butt at judging college personnel is both unique to this organization and IMO the team's current only FO strength right now.   So letting that go would drive me a bit crazy.  🙄

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like the profile of Kyle over Schaffer but I'd be ok with Schaffer too but with a big but and that is his elevation doesn't cause Kyle to leave.

IMO having a guy in the building that kicks butt at judging college personnel is both unique to this organization and IMO the team's current only FO strength right now.   So letting that go would drive me a bit crazy.  🙄

Right there with you. Last two drafts have been strong. 

4 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Schaefer to Team President and Smith to GM should be fine with me.

Question is, would that be fine for both? If yes, then, just do it!

This seems to be the way ahead, or at least the logical one, so no telling what that does to us.

Schaefer is mainly a contract and cap guy if memory serves.  "Guy" kind of doesn't do it justice, he's a Wizard (Harry). 

I'd definitely start to suggest to Kyle Smith that we start looking deeper at injury history when drafting folks.  We seem to get really excited about players that we "steal" in the 3rd or 4th round in April and then when they're hurt in October we lose our minds and want to fire the whole training staff.

I have been pleased with the picks the last couple of years though.

I'm also pretty convinced that we don't need Bruce to hammer out a stadium, anymore.  Let someone else do that.

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Probably more chance of bringing AJ Smith out of retirement to work here again in some capacity.

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

IMO having a guy in the building that kicks butt at judging college personnel is both unique to this organization and IMO the team's current only FO strength right now.   So letting that go would drive me a bit crazy.

Wait, isn't this what Jay is great at?  I keep hearing how awesome Jay is at talent evaluation, especially talent evaluation for college players.  And he's not going anywhere until at least 2022:

- 2018 is all injuries, all the time. Alex, Colt, 47 guards, CT, Crowder, Trent, Scherff, Reed (at the end of the year)... No way you can do anything with all of that.  So, why even try?

- 2019 is already excused away.  Alex won't be ready, Colt will be hurt by game 3, and the Josh Johnson magic won't last, so there's no overcoming that. Also ~18 million dollar Alex Smith contract self-imposed cap penalty.

- 2020 will be the year 2 of the Alex Smith Cap Penalty, and they will draft a rookie QB, so this is the failed rookie QB season.

- 2021 is the next year Gruden will actually be judged. With a second year QB, they'll probably max out around 8-8, 9-7, the Gruden Average.  Which means they'll have to load up and try it again.

- 2022 might be when Gruden finally runs out of excuses.  Maybe.

So, we have our head coach locked up for the next 4 years at least, and he's supposed to be awesome at judging college talent.

Kyle Smith is not necessary. Jay's got it covered.  Doug can run the FA side after Bruce tells him he can spend $3.50 on FAs. 

It's all going to work out just fine. Jay's got this. 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Wait, isn't this what Jay is great at?  I keep hearing how awesome Jay is at talent evaluation, especially talent evaluation for college players.  And he's not going anywhere until at least 2022:

It would be very Redskins like to say we got one guy in the building who is good at it --  so that's all we need.  Part of what made the national media get jazzed about the Browns off season was not only did they hire Dorsey but hiring a bunch of other big name evaluators too and added Scot as a consultant.  You load up on good evaluators because judging college players or for that matter pro isn't easy, 

It's sort of sad that even with Kyle in the building a personnel guy from another team singled Jay as the best college evaluator guy at Redskins Park.  So Jay is the HC, in house personnel guru -- and apparently the only guy at Redskins Park capable of thinking on his feet who can answer tough questions from reporters about EVERY topic whether it fits his purview or not -- because Bruce and Dan don't have the guts and faith in their own ability to take the heat and handle tough questions.  So they leave Jay out there to handle everything.  

1 hour ago, Rypienskinz said:

Doing work  yes I failed at spelling  

Love what you are doing.  Are you on twitter?  You got a lot of people mobilized there bombarding the team with tweets and calls -- I think if some of that is directed at the minority owners, it would be really helpful.  But I noticed a big volume of people going nuts on twitter.

Do you know how to get to Schar or Rothman?

I tried Schaffer on linkedin but my account isn't set up to contact people who aren't my current connections

I haven’t found anything for the other two. They seem very private based in their information online. If you approach on LinkedIn just be professional about it. Talk from a standpoint of business and the best interest of fans and the team. Encourage them to see what is being said on Twitter and other avenues. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It would be very Redskins like to say we got one guy in the building who is good at it --  so that's all we need.  Part of what made the national media get jazzed about the Browns off season was not only did they hire Dorsey but hiring a bunch of other big name evaluators too and added Scot as a consultant.  You load up on good evaluators because judging college players or for that matter pro isn't easy, 

It's sort of sad that even with Kyle in the build a personnel guy from another team singled Jay as the best college evaluator guy at Redskins Park.  So Jay is the HC, in house personnel guru -- and apparently the only guy at Redskins Park capable of thinking on his feet who can answer tough questions from reporters about EVERY topic whether it fits his purview or not -- because Bruce and Dan don't have the guts and faith in their own ability to take the heat and handle tough questions.  So they leave Jay out there to handle everything.  

I was actually being sarcastic.  I’m not sure he’s all that good at that either.  Not saying he’s not, just saying with the front office structure it’s impossible to know who’s good at what, and reports from outside the organization are just that, reports from outsiders. 

We have was too much “meh” talent on the team to call anybody good at anything.  

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

- 2018 is all injuries, all the time. Alex, Colt, 47 guards, CT, Crowder, Trent, Scherff, Reed (at the end of the year)... No way you can do anything with all of that.  So, why even try?

- 2019 is already excused away.  Alex won't be ready, Colt will be hurt by game 3, and the Josh Johnson magic won't last, so there's no overcoming that. Also ~18 million dollar Alex Smith contract self-imposed cap penalty.

- 2020 will be the year 2 of the Alex Smith Cap Penalty, and they will draft a rookie QB, so this is the failed rookie QB season.

- 2021 is the next year Gruden will actually be judged. With a second year QB, they'll probably max out around 8-8, 9-7, the Gruden Average.  Which means they'll have to load up and try it again.

- 2022 might be when Gruden finally runs out of excuses.  Maybe.

So, we have our head coach locked up for the next 4 years at least, and he's supposed to be awesome at judging college talent.

Kyle Smith is not necessary. Jay's got it covered.  Doug can run the FA side after Bruce tells him he can spend $3.50 on FAs. 

It's all going to work out just fine. Jay's got this. 

Let me rephrase: This is the most depressing thing I’ve read all week.

58 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I was actually being sarcastic.  I’m not sure he’s all that good at that either.  Not saying he’s not, just saying with the front office structure it’s impossible to know who’s good at what, and reports from outside the organization are just that, reports from outsiders. 

We have was too much “meh” talent on the team to call anybody good at anything.  

I know you were being sarcastic but the idea that Jay might not be good at judging college personnel is an outlier position on your end -- so I ran with that point because it would actually be like the Redskins FO to saddle something else on Jay's plate because he is good at such task.

I have my moments where I am not in love with Jay.  However, on the aggregate, I think he brings more assets than liabilities and as I pointed out many times in our debates -- we all know EVERY coach has weaknesses.  We've had the next HC savior narrative many times during Dan's era -- and I'll give that its fun and exciting to just assume the next toy will have it all figured out and the 9th time is the charm but color me skeptical.

I think you underrate Jay's ability to deal with constant dysfunction but more on point to your thinking -- I think you might overrate the next dude's ability to deal with it.

Until Bruce is out of the building and Dan has the senses knocked into him -- its a losers game.   Most come out losers from it.  If hall of fame coaches like Gibbs and borderline hall of famers like Shanny can't beat Jay's record here -- why are you so convinced the next guy can? 

That goes double as for today's Dan era because its doubtful they will even be able to attract a hire like Shanny again or get the top candidates.  They almost have to go with somewhat of an offbeat-obscure choice and hope they he doesn't just learn to be a good HC but also has amazing office political skills.  And I am not being sarcastic on this front -- if we are going to delve into new HCs we should delve into who can play the behind the scenes office political game.  I've always liked Bruce Arians but never felt he was cut out for this environment because he doesn't seem to have the patience for office politics.  The next dude who comes here need to at least minor in office politics if they are going to thrive unless something changes in how Dan rolls.

I am all on board with your thought of hiring a new President first and if they want to hire a new coach -- cool with me.  I believe in that structure.   But in a week where Redskins Park is on fire again -- and Jay per usual is the only one left to address it all -- Jay is far from my target.  It's the dysfunction dual team of Dan-Bruce who light the fires and don't have the guts to explain it. 

Jay deserves a raise by virtue alone of being the team's spokesperson who does everyone's jobs on that front.  He speaks for Dan.  He speaks for Bruce.  He speaks on issues that he doesn't even oversee.   

@Skinsinparadise Jay is not part of the solution.  He’s part of the problem. At the best he’s an enabler of the dysfunction, at worst he’s an active contributor to it.

And I have no idea how the next coach could handle the dysfunction.  Because I don’t know who the next coach could be.  He might do better.  He might do worse.  There’s no way of telling. I just know Jay hasn’t maximized the talent on the team in any year he’s been here, and he’s consistently chosen to play and keep less talented payers instead of trying to figure out a way to maximize the ability of more talented players.

Hes 100% part of the problem.  He’s not a victim.  His finger prints are on the murder weapon right next to Bruce and Dan.  The three of them have killed the team and organization together.

Another thought.  IF you really want a Bruce out of here, Jay might have to be fired, and Bruce might have to hire his Zorn.  Dan said the reason he fired Vinny was because Vinnyblet him hire Zorn.  It could be the only was for Bruce to go is a complete bottom out.  I personally think it’s possible with Jay, but it could be Bruce needs to fail on hiring sn atrocious coach before he’s fired.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Another thought.  IF you really want a Bruce out of here, Jay might have to be fired, and Bruce might have to hire his Zorn.  Dan said the reason he fired Vinny was because Vinnyblet him hire Zorn.  It could be the only was for Bruce to go is a complete bottom out.  I personally think it’s possible with Jay, but it could be Bruce needs to fail on hiring sn atrocious coach before he’s fired.

I am for anything that leads to Bruce's ouster -- any player leaving, any coach.  Don't love the idea of Bruce hiring his own Zorn the way you laid it out except for one part of it -- I want the team to bottom out in 2019 for a number of reasons among them to luck into a franchise QB.

@Skinsinparadise Jay is not part of the solution.  He’s part of the problem. At the best he’s an enabler of the dysfunction, at worst he’s an active contributor to it.

Whether Jay is part of the solution or not, I don't know.  But an enabler?  Don't see it even a little.  Everybody who covers this team says Jay is a good guy -- not a power hungry back stabber.  

Hes 100% part of the problem.  He’s not a victim.  His finger prints are on the murder weapon right next to Bruce and Dan.  The three of them have killed the team and organization together.

Couldn't disagree more.  Even playing with your premise that Jay isn't a good coach.  How good or not a coach you are has nothing to do with dysfunction or killing a team.   Every coach here has been a victim IMO.   That doesn't mean that the coaches were all good -- but that's a different point.

As an example, I couldn't stand Zorn as coach -- not to the extent that you went after Jay -- but for me I was pretty vocal against the dude.  I wanted him gone.  Yet, the way the 2009 season unfolded, I felt sorry for him.  I said so back then.  They treated him like crap and the whole season was a zoo upon Vinny and then Bruce overseeing it and the one constant is always Dan.   Teams don't tend to dive into zoo mode every time they have a bad year -- Zorn was a bad coach but that's not why 2009 was a zoo it was because of how the people above him handled it.

The reason why 7-9 if that's how the season ends feels so much like 3-13 isn't because of Jay's strengths and weaknesses as a coach IMO but primarily because of the zoo-soap opera around the team.  And when you dig deeper into that soap opera a lot of it per usual steams from office politics behind the scenes, ego, arrogance overreaction, etc.   Granted not all of it -- but a lot of it. 

Jay is described by just about everyone as a cool guy, humble, easy to talk and treats people well.  He's not the perfect coach but as a personality he stands out at Redskins Park and in a good way. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am for anything that leads to Bruce's ouster -- any player leaving, any coach.  Don't love the idea of Bruce hiring his own Zorn the way you laid it out except for one part of it -- I want the team to bottom out in 2019 for a number of reasons among them to luck into a franchise QB.

To get rid of Bruce, he probably has to fail without the injury excuse more than he has the last 3 years.  Ironically, if Gruden was a better coach than he is, they probably make the playoffs in 2016, and finish 9-7 last year with a chance at the playoffs.  Which would make Bruce look a little better, for all of his warts. 

Whether Jay is part of the solution or not, I don't know.  But an enabler?  Don't see it even a little.  Everybody who covers this team says Jay is a good guy -- not a power hungry back stabber.  

He's an enabler. Here's how:

1. If he's allowing Bruce/Dan to tell him who he can play, he's enabling that.  Don't do it and make them fire you.  He's the head coach, it's his responsibility to put the right people on the field to win. 

2. He has fostered a complete laissez faire attitude with the players.  He enables them to do what DJ was doing, and what Zach Brown did, what Mason said last year, etc.  Hell, he even enabled DJax tweaking his nipple. You might say this is just him being a nice guy, I say it's enabling dysfunction.

3. Even when he knows something is a bad decision, he goes along with it without complaint and tows the company line.  He completely enabled the whole Reuben Foster thing. He could have said that's a bad idea, and then told Bruce and Dan he wouldn't answer questions about it, they would have to clean up their own mess. Do you honestly think a strong HC would get pushed around like that? 

Jay is who he is.  A complete pushover for Bruce and Dan, which is why they like him.  He doesn't complain much, only loses a little more than he wins, and enables, or allows, them to kinda do whatever they want.

That's 100% part of the problem, not the solution. 

Couldn't disagree more.  Even playing with your premise that Jay isn't a good coach.  How good or not a coach you are has nothing to do with dysfunction or killing a team.   Every coach here has been a victim IMO.   That doesn't mean that the coaches were all good -- but that's a different point.

As I outlined above, as the head coach, he is part of the leadership, and he can stop some things from happening, and he hasn't.  That's on him. He's absolutely 100% a cause and not a victim of the dysfunction.  A stronger HC tells Bruce to shove it.  Hell, he probably kicks Bruce out of the coaching box. And before anybody says otherwise, Jon Gruden FAMOUSLY sent Al freaking Davis off of the sidelines and back into the Owners Box.  So it's possible. 

I think we agree that there is dysfunction.  Where we disagree is I blame all three executives, Dan, Bruce and Jay for that dysfunction.  You excuse Jay and say he's the victim of Dan and Bruce.  Shrug.  Neither of use will probably convince the other, even though deep down we both probably know I'm right. :P (That was a joke, just for clarity.)

As an example, I couldn't stand Zorn as coach -- not the extent that you went after Jay -- but for me I was pretty vocal against the dude.  I wanted him gone.  Yet, the way the 2009 season unfolded, I felt sorry for him.  I said so back then.  They treated him like crap and the whole season was a zoo upon Vinny and then Bruce overseeing it and the one constant is always Dan.   Teams don't tend to dive into zoo mode every time they have a bad year -- Zorn was a bad coach but that's not why 2009 was a zoo it was because of how the people above him handled it.

Zorn was way in over his head, and he was arrogant about it, which made me not feel sorry for him ... too much.  Though Vinny did treat him poorly.  If he had been a little humble, then I would have felt worse for him.  I wanted him gone too, but really the whole hiring coordinators before the HC thing settled the deal on the whole Vinny debacle. 

The reason why 7-9 if that's how the season ends feels so much like 3-13 isn't because of Jay's strengths and weaknesses as a coach IMO but primarily because of the zoo-soap opera around the team.  And when you dig deeper into that soap opera a lot of it per usual steams from office politics behind the scenes, ego, arrogance overreaction, etc.   Granted not all of it -- but a lot of it. 

Let's take a look at the major contributions for the chaos:

1. It really all started when Alex Smith broke his leg.  Up to that point, they were 6-3 (though a very flawed 6-3, they were 6-3). The only way Jay is responsible for this is that he had Byron Marshall back there instead of Bibbs, because Marshall is in the Ryan Grant camp of Gruden players.  He just loves him some Byron Marshall. 

2. Then we have the QB Carousel.  Problem 1 was signing Sanchez. That's at least partially on Jay, if not all on Jay.  That was a bad decision and it came back to bite them.  There's no way Sanchez performed better than JJ in the workout, but Sanchez was the "safer" pick, I guess.  I dunno.  It was stupid then and it's stupid now, and it's at least partially on Jay. 

3. Then there were the Mason Foster private tweets that became public.  That's not on Jay because it was private (it was massively stupid by Mason though to think that a private internet message was going to stay private), but it's really not on Dan or Bruce either.  HOWEVER, the reaction was wrong.  Jay should not have hand-waved it and excused Mason's comments.  That led to the story sticking around longer than it really should have.  You say "Jay shouldn't have to address these, it should be Bruce!" Maybe, I'm not so sure.  The HC needs to be able to handle that type of situation.  I still would have benched him at least a game just to appease the fans he insulted. 

4. Then there's Norman spouting off about the fans at FedEx.  That's at least partially on Jay for not instilling some discipline in the room.  Again, when you don't instill the discipline from the beginning, you get what you get. 

5. Then we have Rueben Foster.  That's mostly Bruce, however we head that Bruce, Jay and Dan were all ok with it, and if Jay wasn't ok with it, he needed to say so and shut it down. 

6. Then we have the Lafamina stuff.  That in and of itself is meaningless to football product unless you interpret it as Bruce is sticking around. Jay is clearly not responsible for the decision, but that circus came to town yesterday. 

7. If you want to, you can add the complete collapse of the defense leading to internal sparring between players to the circus.  Who's responsible for that?  At least partially Jay.

8. You could add the Haha Clinton Dix debacle to the mix if you like.  This was a move that was pretty soundly applauded at the beginning, but started to go south quickly.  And it took WEEKS for Haha not to play the majority of defensive snaps.  That's also on Jay.

9. Monte Nicholson and his girlfriend going gansta in Ashburn isn't on Jay or Bruce or Dan.  That's just stupid stuff that happens after 2:00am. 

So, if you pull back the curtain a bit and look at what caused the zoo and the chaos, you'll see that Jay isn't blameless in a lot of it.  Please feel free to add to the list, I'm sure I missed some things.  Did this off the top of my head.  

Again, I'm not saying Jay is SOLELY responsible.  I'm saying he's part of the problem.  He's not the victim of the dysfunction, he's part of the reason it exists. 

Jay is described by just about everyone as a cool guy, humble, easy to talk and treats people well.  He's not the perfect coach but as a personality he stands out at Redskins Park and in a good way. 

You know what traits don't always translate to a good executive and head coach?  Cool, laid back, easy to talk to and humble.  It takes a really special person to have those qualities AND have a spine of steel that it takes to actually get the job done.  The one guy who had some of those was Gibbs, though I wouldn't call hin "cool."

Look at the best coaches in the league:

Bellichick - Just a tough SOB and doesn't care if anybody likes him.

Reid - Seems likable enough, but he also is very tough, a workaholic, and an X's and O's certified genius.

Pete Carrol - (I hate he's on this list, but he is) - Players coach and lets guys be themselves, but pays attention to detail and is a tough SOB. Also a cheater. 

Sean Payton - Soft demeanor, but tough as nails.  Off of the Parcells tree.

It's not common to be as laid back as Jay and have success.  I'm sure he's a great guy.  But he's not a good executive, which is what a HC is, and he's not a good head coach.

Bruce is a huge problem.  He needs to go.  But to let Jay off the hook is just silliness at this point. 

Why do we call Schaffer a cap wizard and if that is what he is good at, why do we want him running operations? It’s not like we have a constant influx of available cap space where every other team is struggling to manage the cap. Seems to me, then everyone has a cap wizard on their books. Why is ours considered so “special”. 

Same goes Kyle Smith (and Jay to a lessor extent). Keep hearing how they are good at evaluating talent yet all I see are slow guys who can’t tackle, get torched in coverage or injured constantly. If these guys are good then why do we never have elite talent or even good talent that can get us to the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

Both are good at what they do. Neither is a decision maker.

So is this a McVay/Schneider situation where good talent could leave because our idiot owner is in love with the idiots rather than actual talent.

Archived