Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

I would love Lewis at Defensive Coordinator over the trash we have here now. I DO NOT want him as a head coach. How about Lewis as Meyer's DC? That sounds kind of like a functional coaching staff to me.

Edit: Add a Chase Young to Lewis' Hybrid system and watch him wreak havoc on offenses all over the league. Young is Suggs on steroids.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I would love Lewis at Defensive Coordinator over the trash we have here now. I DO NOT want him as a head coach. How about Lewis as Meyer's DC? That sounds kind of like a functional coaching staff to me,.

Nope.  Let Meyer pick his own DC.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think so.  I recall they somehow interviewed Jerry Gray for the Rooney Rule pre Shanny.  I don't know how they'd do it here.  

Marvin Lewis is a minority candidate they could talk to at any time.

I’m not sure he’d like to just be played as a Rooney Rule candidate, but that’s an obvious possibility.

Also I’ve been saying “toss it out with the trash” Friday story is extremely likely. This would be the Friday to do it.  Makes sense.  

Though if I had to bet it’s Monday because it’s a combined Bruce gone + new FO/HC.  And they can’t do that with Callahan in place. 

I like the Mike Freeman take. Many have claimed Meyer will go to Dallas but when you run a collegiate program -  and control is of such enormous importance to Meyer - you are in control of everything. That would never be the case in Dallas.

Now it hasnt been the case in Washington either as we saw with Dan's involvement in the Shanahan regime. Still - Dan is desperate to make that splash and fire up the fan base. Giving Urban Meyer the keys to it all and an insane amount of $$$ to bring this dormant franchise back to life could be enticing.

A Marvin Lewis hire for the HC position (bc I know some dumb **** will quote this saying he'd make a fine DC--yeah, maybe. Fine. He also put up with a lot of dirty defensive players over the years though, so no thanks) would be the thing to push me away from this team as the last straw. Especially with Hue, but either way. That would be it for me. 

I think even Dan has a better read on the room than that. 

2 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Because it will be way more than that, most likely.  Especially if he's taking on a GM role similar to Elway or the guy in SF.

We're not hiring a current player straight out of the game in a true GM role, christ people. Even the NBA doesn't do that and they love hiring ex-players into roles they aren't qualified for, where it rarely works, and that's a league with 5 starters!!

No matter who the HC and/or GM hire is, it makes sense to pursue Alex Smith in a junior personnel role--for one it clears a ton of cap space, even if he's not remotely qualified, it would at least be a BS position like Doug basically has. And we will be investigated for circumventing the cap, but it's a valid loophole if we can convince Smith to retire and take way less money. 

I also don't understand why he would do that, though. But it would help whoever takes this team over a TON, that contract is such an albatross. 

31 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

A Marvin Lewis hire for the HC position (bc I know some dumb **** will quote this saying he'd make a fine DC--yeah, maybe. Fine. He also put up with a lot of dirty defensive players over the years though, so no thanks) would be the thing to push me away from this team as the last straw. Especially with Hue, but either way. That would be it for me. 

I would have a serious eye roll and would wait to see what happened, but it would be, at the very least, uninspiring.

I also think Dan is going to try and get a big name, and he knows Marvin Lewis is just a boring hire. 

I doubt it happens.  I think he’s going after somebody much more flashy.

24 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

We're not hiring a current player straight out of the game in a true GM role, christ people. Even the NBA doesn't do that and they love hiring ex-players into roles they aren't qualified for, where it rarely works, and that's a league with 5 starters!!

No, Smith would be placed in a “be friends with Dan and provide adult supervision” role.  Not personnel directly. 

No matter who the HC and/or GM hire is, it makes sense to pursue Alex Smith in a junior personnel role--for one it clears a ton of cap space, even if he's not remotely qualified, it would at least be a BS position like Doug basically has. And we will be investigated for circumventing the cap, but it's a valid loophole if we can convince Smith to retire and take way less money. 

Yes, it would help the cap.  And Smith seems bright and is a natural leader. 

I also don't understand why he would do that, though. But it would help whoever takes this team over a TON, that contract is such an albatross. 

If he knows he can’t play again and wants to be part of the organization long term.  And Dan can pay him anything he wants in the FO. 

Meyer isn't coming here. Slim to zero chance. Dan is going to most likely hire someone he knows that won't rock the boat that will be willing to take this dead end job. Someone who would be willing to leave Kevin O in place.  That to me means Marvin Lewis, maybe Bowles, Greg Williams. Bienemy would probably be warned by Reid not to come here, that he can get a better job. 

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I listened to both as well.  My thought remains one person knows what’s going on and that one person isn’t saying boo to anybody and everybody else is guessing and reading tea leaves. 

I also think Bruce will be out because of financial reasons.  But that’s just a guess, just like everybody else’s guesses.  

I think it could happen tomorrow, there’s a possibility it breaks Saturday but that’s somewhat unlikely, or most likely late Sunday Night/Early Monday morning. 

I think the whole staff is gone, minus a holdover or two, by 8am Monday.  Even money the Skins announce a new GM/HC at that time. 

I THINK based on Callahan being an interim coach, theoretically they can interview candidates while he’s in place.  I could be wrong about that.  

No, you are right. Panthers interviewed McCarthy and they have an interim coach.

Man it’s going to be funny on Monday, when people are checking to see if Bruce is gone and he’s still here.

Even if a miracle happens and Bruce is gone, it will be the last thing announced. I don’t see Dan canning Bruce; unless the coach he wants makes that a condition.

Meyer would be a fool not to shop around first.

5 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Hey..marvin lewis would make a great defensive coordinator here...he would build a championship defense here...remember this ain't madden ya cant just pick up and drop the controller when ya want.

Sheehan this morning after fishing around some.  Callahan isn't going to be the HC.  Manusky gone, too.   He said that Marvin Lewis is a dude that they are hot on, there is a chance its Urban Meyer as coach or something else.  He'd be slightly surprised if it ends up Meyer though.  He wouldn't be surprised (ironically that's been my joke for months about Bruce holding the reigns and doubling down on Tampa connections) if Raheem Morris gets an interview. 

For the FO, don't be surprised about an out of box hires.  Heck I wouldn't be surprised, I'd take out of the box to mean they aren't an obvious a top personnel type -- that wouldn't be unusual but how they always roll.   He has no idea what goes down with Bruce but his gut is he's out but he doesn't feel super confident on it.  The owner might feel that a big shake up in the coaching staff might make fans overlook Bruce.   He does think they are detached from the reality to the degree of the dislike of Bruce where he is enemy #1 for fans. 

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Even if a miracle happens and Bruce is gone, it will be the last thing announced. I don’t see Dan canning Bruce; unless the coach he wants makes that a condition.

that's what I think.  I do think there is a decent chance Bruce gets canned if Dan gets one of the more coveted coaches because they'd likely insist on it.  But I am convinced Dan doesn't want to do it -- a lot of smoke on that front.   If they get a Raheem Morris or Marvin Lewis type, I think Bruce at worst is packaged with a Scot type of hire where they try to convince us that this time they mean it. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2019-season-nfl-black-monday-rumors-news-head-coach-gm-fired/

Washington Redskins

The Redskins will begin their process in earnest following Week 17’s matchup against the New York Giants. There have been whispers regarding the status of President Bruce Allen, but no decision has been made. According to Allbright, absolutely no decision on the future head coach has been made at this point. Allbright also reports that Eric Bieniemy appears to be one of the early frontrunners on the Redskins list of head coach candidates.

7 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

A Marvin Lewis hire for the HC position (bc I know some dumb **** will quote this saying he'd make a fine DC--yeah, maybe. Fine.)

2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Hey..marvin lewis would make a great defensive coordinator here...he would build a championship defense here...remember this ain't madden ya cant just pick up and drop the controller when ya want.

Presented without commentary.

Standig just on, he said what type of coach they get depends on how they push Bruce as part of the package or not.  Stnadig said if he had to bet right now, he'd bet Bruce is back.

If they want Bruce back then guys like Marvin Lewis, Raheem Morris, etc would be the tier they'd choose from.  If Bruce is removed they can perhaps aim higher.  

He'd think their one shot at an Urban Meyer type is to give them all the power.

5 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

That is so enraging to read.

Yeah its nuts.  As Standig and Sheehan just talked about teams have a requirement to do an end of the year presser on Monday so if Callahan is dismissed as expected and Bruce stays then Bruce would run that presser in all likelihood or maybe Doug?  But imagine if its Bruce?  Wow.

And if there is process behind the scenes that refer to coaches who will work with Bruce versus not and they favor the ones that will work with Bruce then wow on that, too if so.

If they are going to announce Marvin Lewis and lets say add D. Hall to the FO and say happy days are here to come -- good luck this winter-Spring with season ticket sales. 

Archived