Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

That may not part with a 1st or 2nd rd pick. But a 3rd and maybe another pick to make sure? If a team like say Denver really wants him, would it not be worth at least a 3rd and maybe even a 2nd pick to make sure you get him and not have to get into a bidding war with teams like Clev and the Jets that have loads of CAP room, a lot more than Denver even if they restructure some contracts. 

As for Cousins, he gets to pick where he goes without going through all the drama of the bidding war. If he truly just wants to win and the money is not the bottom line as he has been saying, then going to the right team will be more important than squeezing that extra few million out of a bad team. 

Is it a guarantee? No, of course not. But I think there is a much better chance of getting something than people are giving it a chance. 

Right, but perhaps Cousins actually wants to visit with all these teams in free agency to really determine where he wants to be.  I'd imagine he wants to go through the whole charade of being a free agent, truly getting to pick exactly where he feels most comfortable after meeting all the teams. 

But more importantly, Cousins would have to throw the team a bone and I can't see any logical reason why he would want to do that at this point in time.  Let's just say it gets to the 11th hour and they tag him, he signs it and than says he's not going to shop, good luck managing this 50M budget on QBs for 2018.

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Right, but perhaps Cousins actually wants to visit with all these teams in free agency to really determine where he wants to be.  I'd imagine he wants to go through the whole charade of being a free agent, truly getting to pick exactly where he feels most comfortable after meeting all the teams. 

But more importantly, Cousins would have to throw the team a bone and I can't see any logical reason why he would want to do that at this point in time.  Let's just say it gets to the 11th hour and they tag him, he signs it and than says he's not going to shop, good luck managing this 50M budget on QBs for 2018.

If he is a vindictive total self serving greedy POS then maybe he pulls some crap like that. Do we really think he is that big an asshole? I don't, not for a minute. 

As for visiting other teams - absolutely could be true, Maybe he wants the bidding process and will go to the highest bidder - or just wants to bid up the team he wants. All I am saying is that if there is a team he really wants to go to, then it would be in his best interest to work a deal, not so much to help the Redskins, but to help himself. 

4 hours ago, TK said:

Just remember.

In Bruce's mind, he won

I easly can imagine him grinning about the move he just made and how he pissed off and ****ed off Kirk Cousins.

Until Cousins signs with the Giants as they dump Eli and goes on to win the SB while blowing us out twice a year.

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Joe Banner's tweets

Isn't that the guy from the Eagles?

Sure he loves the move! He's got a DL that will love to go after Smith and kill him faster than it takes to read it.

We're getting a 34 year old guy that is not that athletic and we're gonna put him against some huge DL.

Yeah, that's a freaking smart move for him. That's 2 easy wins.

55 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

The only thing gonna salvage this trade for me is tagging Kurt and leveraging a 1st or 2nd rounder. That's the only way to replace Fuller.

Teams will trade for him almost instantly versus a bidding war. Den, Ari, Cleveland, Buf and NYJ all likely suitors.

Feb 20th a big day... https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2018-important-nfl-dates/

Not even a chance we tag and trade Kirk.

Tagging him would leave us with no money to go shopping in FA. Tagging him plus Smith would cost us 45M or so.

Everyone know we're not gonna tag him. Even Kirk knows that. He'll be a FA on opening day and will probably have agreed to a contract somewhere else a day or two before that.

And I would laugh if he signs elsewhere for less than Smith here.

48 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

If he is a vindictive total self serving greedy POS then maybe he pulls some crap like that. Do we really think he is that big an asshole? I don't, not for a minute. 

As for visiting other teams - absolutely could be true, Maybe he wants the bidding process and will go to the highest bidder - or just wants to bid up the team he wants. All I am saying is that if there is a team he really wants to go to, then it would be in his best interest to work a deal, not so much to help the Redskins, but to help himself. 

I don't think he's a vindictive, total self-serving greedy POS.  But I don't see how not working out a deal with the Skins to get something in return for him would make him that.

26 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't think he's a vindictive, total self-serving greedy POS.  But I don't see how not working out a deal with the Skins to get something in return for him would make him that.

I guess I should have been more specific. I was speaking directly to the signing the tag and the not shopping leaving them with 2 high paid QBs on the roster - or as you said a $50M problem. It was only to that part. Of course it's not vindictive to want to shop other teams, especially if he does not have a specific destination in mind. 

But more on that - the scenario you are talking is not really the way it works. He would not go shopping after getting tagged. The way it works is the team comes to agreement for a deal with Kirk's team of choice contingent on that team and Kirk coming to agreement. Once that team and Kirk come to agreement, he is tagged and then traded. Once he signs the tag, he can be traded even he changes his mind. The only thing he could do is refuse to sign the tag. Then the team could rescind the tag. 

If there is no deal agreed then the team will just let him walk as a FA. 

I don't know all the specific parameters to how it would all work out, it's just to me I can't find much of any reason that Kirk would want to help the team out at this point.  Perhaps if they had gone to him prior to yesterday with an offer that he declined and they told him they were going to make a move on Plan B and would like to work out something with him to where he chooses his path.  Maybe they did, but Schefter was rather adamant this morning that the FO hasn't talked to Kirk's camp one time since season ended.  I just can't see anything good coming out of this relationship from this point on.  In fact, I can only imagine the smear campaign by anonymous sources that will unleash after the Super Bowl only further muddying those waters. 

On a side note, what I'm most interested in is hearing Bruce sell this trade and acquisition to the public.  How does he go about talking about Kirk, or does he act as if the guy was never here?  Does he tell us that Alex has been the guy in their plan all along?  The Redskins might be perennial losers, but they are some entertaining losers.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't know all the specific parameters to how it would all work out, it's just to me I can't find much of any reason that Kirk would want to help the team out at this point.  Perhaps if they had gone to him prior to yesterday with an offer that he declined and they told him they were going to make a move on Plan B and would like to work out something with him to where he chooses his path.  Maybe they did, but Schefter was rather adamant this morning that the FO hasn't talked to Kirk's camp one time since season ended.  I just can't see anything good coming out of this relationship from this point on.  In fact, I can only imagine the smear campaign by anonymous sources that will unleash after the Super Bowl only further muddying those waters. 

On a side note, what I'm most interested in is hearing Bruce sell this trade and acquisition to the public.  How does he go about talking about Kirk, or does he act as if the guy was never here?  Does he tell us that Alex has been the guy in their plan all along?  The Redskins might be perennial losers, but they are some entertaining losers.

You are looking from only one position - how it may help the team. And I agree, he has no incentive to work with the Redskins to help them out, just for the sake of helping them out.

But again, there is another reason for him to help make this happen. If there is a team Kirk really wants to go to, it does not make sense to block that just because it might help the Redskins. Again, there has to be a specific destination and that team needs to come to agreement with Washington. 

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

You are looking from only one position - how it may help the team. And I agree, he has no incentive to work with the Redskins to help them out, just for the sake of helping them out.

But again, there is another reason for him to help make this happen. If there is a team Kirk really wants to go to, it does not make sense to block that just because it might help the Redskins. Again, there has to be a specific destination and that team needs to come to agreement with Washington. 

I get that side of it, but I simply have to think that even if let's say he's dead set on the Broncos, why would he want the Broncos to have to give something up for him?  When he could just go there without having to give up anything?  It would seem odd to be in love with a team yet want them to lose an asset to get you.

I guess he could only listen to offers from that team and do the whole FA thing then go directly to them. However, what happens when Clev calls your agent and says - Kirk, they are offering $40M/tr for the next 2 yrs, fully guaranteed with an additional $25M in guarantees. 

Anyway, it's a moot point. We can;t change anything. Time will tell. Also, I doubt they made the deal counting on anything, especially if they did not talk to Kirk's camp at all. 

You brought up another point that I am also interested in. How does this get spun. The ESPN people do not know everything. Shefter could very well be wrong about the team not contacting Kirk. They may come to mutual agreement it's time to separate. I am waiting to hear the details before making any final judgement. 

But either way the press conference or statement should be entertaining. 

Worst part in this is that we didn't even bothered to tell Fuller or his agent that we were trading him.

We are not forced to do that, but decency should tell you to do it.

Nope we didn't. That makes this negotiation looks like:

- Bruce Allen: Hey Andy, I heard you where shopping Alex Smith. How about a third for him?

- Andy Reid: Nope, that's a second, I have 5 other teams inquiring about it right now. Two of them offering me a second and one offering me a second and a player.

- Bruce: Oh come on,n we're old friend, we've already bought you McNabb back in the days. A 3rd should make it, that's what we'll get from letting Kirk Cousins go.

- Andy Reid: I said a second. No less

- Bruce: Ok, so what about a 3rd and a player?

- Andy Reid: Ok a third and Fuller.

- Bruce: Deal! Text the NFL, send me the paper I sign it asap!

Have we even asked our coaching staff what they thought about that?

I tend to think... NO.

3 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Worst part in this is that we didn't even bothered to tell Fuller or his agent that we were trading him.

We are not forced to do that, but decency should tell you to do it.

Agreed, do you think he told Kurt ? ;)

I'm sure they gauged over the last few weeks where Kirks contract numbers are heading. You'd imagine talks are going on between organisation feeling out the situation.

Gruden was also vocal in this being sorted as soon as possible. That's what we've done. I'm happy we've made a decision now instead of this rolling on for weeks/months to come. 

Cowherd is floating a rumor that KC signs with Denver and very close to a deal.  Just now...I still wonder if there was a convo with KC, we'll let you go but it'll be a sign and trade where Skins get something.

Maybe Allen did get something out of it?

48 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I get that side of it, but I simply have to think that even if let's say he's dead set on the Broncos, why would he want the Broncos to have to give something up for him?  When he could just go there without having to give up anything?  It would seem odd to be in love with a team yet want them to lose an asset to get you.

The logic is that the Skins ahead of time told Kirk and the Broncos they would franchise tag him unless an agreement is made to sign and trade Kirk. 

11 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Cowherd is floating a rumor that KC signs with Denver and very close to a deal.  Just now...I still wonder if there was a convo with KC, we'll let you go but it'll be a sign and trade where Skins get something.

Maybe Allen did get something out of it?

I would expect a Cousins deal is all but done as well. We've moved for Smith and the other dominoes are falling at the same time. 

36 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

His overall record is worse.

Plus he's smug and unlikable.  At least Vinny was a likable nimrod that simply couldn't say no to Dan.

25 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Win/loss record for a starting point.

Man, ya'll got me on W/L record, but Allen comes across as more shrewd with his football moves then Vinny trying to overpay players and trade away draft picks all the time.  I don't remember Vinny being so ahead of the game of trying to extend core players before they expire (Cousins obviously being the exception), but I do remember pretty much every hating Vinny when he was here.  It sucks that moves like bringing in Scott to be a legit GM and finally making a move for a high first round QB didn't pan out, but Vinny never even tried that.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I would expect a Cousins deal is all but done as well. We've moved for Smith and the other dominoes are falling at the same time. 

Seems really quick and convenient tho since the Smith thing just went down....

Archived