Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mass Shooting at Texas Church

No Excuses

Just now, Springfield said:

Fair enough.

IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE.  I fail to see how the good guy with a gun helped.  Perhaps, the police could have apprehended him and he could have been served justice.  Or maybe he would have blown his crazy little brains out anyhow.

probably saved us a trial and endless appeals.

For sure tracked and controlled the threat. 

Just now, PokerPacker said:

In this particular case, the good guy with a gun put him down before the police could arrive.  You don't think the body count would be higher if they had to wait for the police to show up?

I thought he was running away and they chased him down.

Okay, @Springfield, reading the exact details, the shooter fled after a local armed citizen fired upon him (and I believe during this exchange he was shot twice).  He was not killed during the height of the spree, but it was an armed response from the locals that put an end to it and caused the shooter to flee and ultimately kill himself.

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

Okay, @Springfield, reading the exact details, the shooter fled after a local armed citizen fired upon him (and I believe during this exchange he was shot twice).  He was not killed during the height of the spree, but it was an armed response from the locals that put an end to it and caused the shooter to flee and ultimately kill himself.

Good.  I’m glad that they stepped in then.  Probably saved more people.  I’m sleepy, you win.

Just now, Springfield said:

Good.  I’m glad that they stepped in then.  Probably saved more people.  I’m sleepy, you win.

Hard to step in earlier when he wasn't there.

sleep tight :drooley:

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

I will say this, though, I am a bit scared by their decision to chase him down after he fled.  What I read is they pursued him up at up to 95 MPH chasing him down until he crashed (presumably because he shot himself).  Granted, outside of the city limits of San Antonio, the roads can be quite open and high speed driving isn't unheard of (I used to go 85 MPH on my way to work once I got past the traffic).

7 hours ago, twa said:

Shouldn't the database include military convictions though?

Is this the 70's?

As I said, somebody put it in the database wrong.  If you put the wrong level or type of conviction into it (where the military does not have felonies and misdemeanors or a direct crime for domestic abuse (he was charged with assault), then the database has the wrong information in it and the person gets approved for a gun.

A database is only as good as the people maintaining it and no system is ever going to maintain a database perfectly, which is one reason why I support a mechanism of some sort of local input (e.g. approval by local police with an appeal process if they are wrong).  If you are dependent only on a national database, then you are going to have this type of issue occasionally.

(Best guess as to why no carrry permits is the federal law for owning a gun requires a dishonorable discharge, which he didn't have.  Wouldn't be surprised if TX law for conceal carry disallows with a bad character discharge.  Also, apparently he had some issue with abuse of an animal so again maybe triggered something for the carry permit.)

Hadn't he exited the Church when the local with the gun engaged him?  And he'd left his car running?

It sounded like to me that he was leaving and at least was done in the Church.  (This doesn't mean that they didn't save lives as he had more guns in the car and could have been headed somewhere else to kill more people, especially as he hadn't killed the in laws.)

So, that's settled, case closed, nothing to see here............

For those with little understanding of and less regard for the Christian faith, there may be no greater image of prayer’s futility than Christians being gunned down mid-supplication. But for those familiar with the Bible’s promises concerning prayer and violence, nothing could be further from the truth. When those saints of First Baptist Church were murdered yesterday, God wasn’t ignoring their prayers. He was answering them.

http://reverbpress.com/religion/pastor-hans-fiene-texas-shooting-god-answering-prayers/

Thanks for the help there big guy, if I happen to buttdial ya please don't pick up

7 hours ago, visionary said:

His fake empathy really drives me nuts.

But past that them giving this armed citizen so much praise is going to lead to more deaths. No one here can be stupid enough to think that the average how blow American should be actively searching out crime and putting a stop to it themselves. And that is exactly what they are passively telling people. You need your gun so you can go save lives when called on. Not a good idea.

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

His fake empathy really drives me nuts.

But past that them giving this armed citizen so much praise is going to lead to more deaths. No one here can be stupid enough to think that the average how blow American should be actively searching out crime and putting a stop to it themselves. And that is exactly what they are passively telling people. You need your gun so you can go save lives when called on. Not a good idea.

Passively????

”The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.”

That’s not passive, they have it tattooed on their eyelids. But then show them a video of the “good guy” shooting the victim (gas station robbery last year) and thry want to dismiss it.

They really do want everyone running around armed and loaded. This is their fantasy.

• NPR reported this morning everybody that shouldn't get a gun based on the military entries in the national database is because of dishonorable discharge.  Seems like they are only reporting dishonorable discharge or this is the only guy that should have been exempted that didn't get a dishonorable discharge.

The whole "good guy w/ a gun" mythos presupposes a "bad guy" running loose, already shooting people. Absolutely nothing in their credo addresses prevention of mass murder, the whole playbook is "Be the one to take him down and win valuable prizes!"

Archived