Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2017-2018 Winter Weather Thread.

Chew

The polar vortex just split in two. Get ready for some wild weather from Europe to the U.S.

The polar vortex, the notorious swirl of winds around a low pressure area in the upper atmosphere over the Arctic, has split in two. Since the polar vortex tends to be associated with some of the coldest air during the winter, the split — which is more like a temporary separation than a lasting divorce — means that ultra cold air is on the move. 

A split in the polar vortex may sound like a complicated weather concept, but it has huge consequences for weather patterns from Canada to Eurasia. The latest split is likely to put Western Europe and much of Eurasia into the deep freeze for the rest of February, and will offer glimpses of hope for snow lovers along the U.S. East Coast.

Figuring out where the coldest air will go and how it will affect worldwide weather patterns for the next several weeks is a key task facing weather forecasters now. 

Helping matters is that most computer models appear to agree on the broad scenario that's likely to play out. Indications are that in the near-term, colder and stormier conditions than average are likely for Western Europe and much of Eurasia during the rest of February into early March. 

45c755b4-280b-4c30-90aa-f537ae76fd7c.png

During that same period, the Eastern U.S. will experience something of a spring thaw, with temperatures as much as 20 to 25 degrees Fahrenheit above average for this time of year. 

Highs in the 70s Fahrenheit are possible during the closing days of February in Washington, D.C. and New York City, areas that saw record cold at the start of the winter. 

Click on the link for the full article

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2018 at 7:13 PM, Ellis said:

Rumors of a significant snow event mar 11-12.  Any news on that?

CWG kept saying it was very volatile and projections could change any minute because of the nature of the storm. Right now it looks like the DC area won't get much more than an inch. 

AKA we all have to go into work tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Huly said:

Any idea on what will happen Tuesday into Wed?  Every time I look it changes rain, to snow, to ice, back to snow.

Typical low confidence DC forecast with a higher certainty of measurable snow north and west of the city.  I think some areas could see a foot but closer in to the city  the general train of thought seems to be 2-6 with more north and west and less south and east.

23 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Typical low confidence DC forecast with a higher certainty of measurable snow north and west of the city.  I think some areas could see a foot but closer in to the city  the general train of thought seems to be 2-6 with more north and west and less south and east.

What about those of us in the north and west in Loudoun?  I am as far west as you can get in Round Hill.

And the European model, which has been the most accurate this season as I understand, cmae in with a decent amount of snow.  I still think that there’s time for stuff to change.

I think tomorrow will be just a mess with rain and snow mixing in, but tomorrow night into Wednesday is when the second low takes over and brings the area snow.

Archived