Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2017-2018 Winter Weather Thread.

Chew

We Minnesotans think its cute when you all complain about the cold.

Like I tell my kids, you’re not cold.  You’re just dressed inappropriately.  

I spent Sunday birding in northern Minnesota.  It was kind of brisk...

C31640BA-0BC4-4265-B9BC-742818978446.jpeg

3 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

I spent Sunday biding in northern Minnesota.  It was kind of brisk...

We'll trade you straight up with a prototypical ass baking early August summer day in DC for one of your 9th circle of hell Winter evenings

The storm’s enormous circulation will help draw several lobes of the polar vortex, the zone of frigid air encircling the North Pole, over the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast by Friday and Saturday. Wicked cold air sourced from Siberia, the North Pole and Greenland will all converge on the region.

Temperatures are forecast to be 20 to 40 degrees below normal, the coldest of the winter so far.

Most locations in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast are predicted to set records for cold temperatures on Friday with highs in the single digits and teens.

This is what we have to look forward to. Wind from Siberia and record setting cold temperatures! The only positive is no snow. I'd rather not have added danger in my commute to go with this depressing cold.

The out look for the mid Atlantic is what it always has been.  When it gets cold enough to support snow like it has been the last three weeks we get nothing.  Then it warms ups and gets into the 40's and then storms show up and we proceed to get cold rain.    

12 hours ago, bcl05 said:

I spent Sunday birding in northern Minnesota.  It was kind of brisk...

You'll like this headline:

It's Literally Warmer on Mars Than Minnesota Right Now

https://www.abc15.com/weather/how-cold-is-it-minnesota-temps-cooler-than-daily-temperatures-on-mars

3 hours ago, tchrpe1 said:

The out look for the mid Atlantic is what it always has been.  When it gets cold enough to support snow like it has been the last three weeks we get nothing.  Then it warms ups and gets into the 40's and then storms show up and we proceed to get cold rain.    

This is pretty much true.  All of the big historical storms involved a warm low hugging the coast pulling cold air in from the north west.  The problem is that it all depends on storm track with a coastal storm for DC.  Too far east and the storm misses/glances us.  We get plenty of cold air but little precipitation.  Too far west and we get rain or mixing problems.  It really takes a strong storm with a perfect track.  The ideal storms in this area happen when the onset is close to freezing or even above but temps fall throughout the storm as it pulls in cold air.  Most of our big storms happen when temps hover in the upper 20’s or low 30’s.

When it’s down to the single digits, it’s usuallu because of a high pressure controling the area.  No clouds at night allow for cooling at night.  Any precipitation that comes is in the form of a clipper or fast moving system when temps are this cold.

I don’t think I’ve witnessed a huge snow event in this area where it was snowing chunks at below 20 degrees.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/powerful-coastal-storm-bringing-snow-ice-florida-maine/story?id=52111473

Even Northern Florida got a little snow. There's a video of snow flurries in Tallahassee in that article.

This article shows people making snowmans with what little snow they got.

http://www.floridatoday.com/picture-gallery/news/2018/01/03/photos-tallahassee-snow-people/109119894/

Archived