Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

The word "narcotics" makes me think maybe we shouldn't jump to the assumption that it's terrorism.  

Well, this is the mass shooting thread, not the terrorism thread.  I think six being shot qualifies.

• Thanks 1

just adding as info... i don't know that any of you care...

remember how cloudflare got out there and was like 'We're terminating their account at midnight!' (for 8chan)

They just announced an IPO

Just funny how things work. Especially how no one seems to care that Cloudflare happily took their money all that time, knowing exactly what they were. 

• Like 2

on this, and really most major issues, people against trumpland better do their bit to mobilize mobilize mobilize and be as active in participation as possible---es does not count---because what needs to be done isn't just to win potus 2020 but to have  a dominant displacement across the board of who has power, regionally and nationally, and that displacement needs to also have some longevity....a daunting challenge to pull that high bar off, so everyone better do more than gripe or even vote (but yes, vote)

• Like 8

this thread had just dropped to the 3rd page prior to this post.....progress? 

4 shot on college campus in Atlanta during back-to-school block party, police say

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/4-shot-college-campus-atlanta-during-back-school-121658795--abc-news-topstories.html

At least four people were wounded Tuesday night when a shooting broke out at a back-to-school block party on a college campus in Atlanta, police said.

An unidentified shooter opened fire into a crowd of about 200 people at the block party in front of the Robert W. Woodruff Library at Clark Atlanta University, a historically black private university located in Georgia's capital. An initial investigation seems to indicate that the gunshots erupted around 10:30 p.m. local time after an argument between two groups at the party, according to a statement from the Atlanta Police Department.

Campus police rendered aid to three women at the scene who had been shot. They were then transported to a local hospital for treatment, police said. A fourth woman who had been shot later showed up at the hospital to receive treatment. All four victims were listed in stable condition, according to police. Two of the women, ages 18 and 19, are said to be students at Clark Atlanta University while the other two, ages 17 and 18, are reportedly enrolled at Spelman College, a black liberal arts college for women in Atlanta. Both schools are part of the Atlanta University Center, the world's largest and oldest academic consortium of black colleges and universities.

Investigators do not believe the women were the intended targets of the shooting, police said.

No arrests have been made as of Wednesday morning.

• Sad 2

While this isn't really mass shooting related, it is gun violence related and I thought about it last night.

I was watching a new episode of The First 48.  If you've seen it before, you know that they usually show 2 murder investigations.

Well the first one was 2 younger kids going to buy drugs, and the guy selling the drugs out of his house was showing the guys his guns. He had an AR15 and a pistol.  The one guy planned to rob the kid, and the story was they tusseled over the pistol and the guy shot the owner of the gun.  And he was dead.

The second story was about a dude who was out with his son and 4 guys approached him and wanted to rob him.  The dad pulled out his gun and ****ed it back threatening them, and they left.  The next day the guy saw 2 of the 4 guys in a store, and one of the guys said "I should have murdered you and your son yesterday" and the dude walked out of the store.  He claims he went black at that point, but he then went back into the store and shot the guy who talked 3 times and killed him.

The whole time I watched this, I was thinking about how such easy access to guns made these 2 senseless killings possible.

On August 5 CNN reported this: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/05/politics/fbi-mass-shooting-threats/index.html

(CNN)After three mass shootings left at least 32 people dead in the span of a week, FBI Director Chris Wray has ordered the agency's offices across the country to conduct a new threat assessment in an effort to thwart future mass attacks, law enforcement sources told CNN.

Field offices will be actively working to identify threats similar to the attacks last week at local food festival in California, a Walmart in Texas, and an entertainment district in Ohio, the sources said.

Then today they reported this:https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/21/us/california-arrest-mass-shooting-plan/index.html

Long Beach, California, police arrested a man they say was planning a mass shooting, the police chief said.

Rodolfo Montoya, 37, allegedly was planning to shoot employees and guests at the Marriott hotel where he worked as a cook, Chief Robert Luna said at a press conference Wednesday.

The arrest is the latest in a string of detentions or investigations over threats to commit mass shootings. At least 28 people have been arrested since the shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, earlier this month. Just after the shootings, the FBI director issued a directive for agency offices nationwide to conduct a new threat assessment.

I don't know if what the FBI started doing is working or if police agencies are starting to take this more seriously.  Maybe people are more likely to report stuff they see on social media.  Whatever it is, it certainly appears that law enforcement is becoming more proactive in these situations.  I hope that's the case, anyway. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Destino said:

On August 5 CNN reported this: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/05/politics/fbi-mass-shooting-threats/index.html

Then today they reported this:https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/21/us/california-arrest-mass-shooting-plan/index.html

I don't know if what the FBI started doing is working or if police agencies are starting to take this more seriously.  Maybe people are more likely to report stuff they see on social media.  Whatever it is, it certainly appears that law enforcement is becoming more proactive in these situations.  I hope that's the case, anyway. 

Based on the industry I work in, I'd be willing to guess that A LOT of threats are stopped before they ever happen and we simply don't know about them.  I'm not saying they aren't stopping more now, just that I'm fully confident there are quite a few that are stopped before going down, and we just never hear about them.

We had an FBI speaker come one time who is some sort of head hancho of security at BWI, and he had to leave early because he had to go there for "work related reasons" and he flat out told us that if the general public knew how many threats were stopped at BWI, the general public would be scared to fly.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Based on the industry I work in, I'd be willing to guess that A LOT of threats are stopped before they ever happen and we simply don't know about them.  I'm not saying they aren't stopping more now, just that I'm fully confident there are quite a few that are stopped before going down, and we just never hear about them.

We had an FBI speaker come one time who is some sort of head hancho of security at BWI, and he had to leave early because he had to go there for "work related reasons" and he flat out told us that if the general public knew how many threats were stopped at BWI, the general public would be scared to fly.

Part of me has trouble believing this.  How do you explain stopping large numbers of domestic terror attacks, and the public doesn't find out about them?  

Are we sending that many US citizens to GTMO?

Or maybe we're having secret trials, that the public doesn'l know about?  

Stopping terror attacks, and then not filing any charges at all?  (Or charges that don't mention the terror attack we supposedly stopped?)

I could see any of those happening occasionally.  But if they're happening in large numbers, then I've got a problem with it.    

10 minutes ago, Larry said:

Part of me has trouble believing this.  How do you explain stopping large numbers of domestic terror attacks, and the public doesn't find out about them?  

Are we sending that many US citizens to GTMO?

Or maybe we're having secret trials, that the public doesn'l know about?  

Stopping terror attacks, and then not filing any charges at all?  (Or charges that don't mention the terror attack we supposedly stopped?)

I could see any of those happening occasionally.  But if they're happening in large numbers, then I've got a problem with it.    

You have the mindset they want you to have.  It's working.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/11/2019 at 4:51 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

I guess I could have phrased it better.  Too much frustration I guess.  Just seems like we are focusing so much on "band-aid fixes" whether its gun control or whatever.  Not much talk about how to fix everyone hating each other.  

I am aware there may not be an answer for that.  Again, frustration.

Celebrate diversity, it’s what made the country great to begin with. Educating and understanding what makes all humans much more alike than different is, imo, the most positive solution. 

When leaders preach each hate and discord, it filters down to less educated, the followers. More leaders who preach peace and love, and are not afraid to stand in the way and shout it are what is needed now. 

Hate is the easy way out. 

• Like 1

What a sad commentary on our society:

A new high school will have sleek classrooms — and places to hide from a mass shooter

Engineers in World War I dug through the earth to build serpentine trenches borne from horrifically clear logic.

If enemy soldiers ever breached it, the zigzagging pattern would prevent them from shooting in a straight line down the length of the trench — leaving only a relative few exposed to gunfire or shrapnel.

That concept has been reinvigorated a century later, in a sense, for a western Michigan high school, to dampen the killing potential of a mass shooter.

A $48 million major construction project at Fruitport High School will add curved hallways to reduce a gunman’s range, jutting barriers to provide cover and egress, and meticulously spaced classrooms that can lock on demand and hide students in the corner, out of a killer’s sight.

Click on the link for the full article

It takes about three weeks for Americans to stop paying attention after a mass shooting

President Trump reportedly spoke by phone Tuesday with the head of the National Rifle Association, assuring the head of the gun group that the White House didn’t plan on pushing for an expansion of background checks for gun sales. Trump denied the conversation, but it would be an unsurprising conclusion to his brief flirtation with stricter regulations in the wake of a mass shooting in El Paso earlier this month. It was a flirtation that always seemed at odds with Trump’s embrace of pro-gun policy and the NRA in particular.

Nor would the timing be particularly surprising. Our analysis of the aftermath of recent high-profile mass shootings suggests that interest in addressing the problem tapers out after about three weeks — or this week, relative to the massacre in El Paso.

This is often the unstated goal of gun rights advocates. Allow the passion that immediately follows the attacks to cool, often demanding that politics wait until an appropriate mourning period has passed. Weeks later, most people have moved on to other issues — including members of Congress.

To assess how interest in mass shootings shifted over time, we looked at Google search interest for related terms in the months after high-profile mass shootings. “High-profile” is subjective, but we included incidents tallied by The Washington Post in which more than 10 people were killed or which attracted at least half as much search interest as the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn., in 2012. (A list of the included incidents is at the bottom of this article.)

Searches for “shooting,” for example, spike immediately after each incident. On average, searches for the term return to pre-shooting level within about 20 days.

5E5M42NAVNDSTMKZH5Y2QX66WI.jpg

The data for individual shootings are independent, relative to the peaks in the period after each incident and not to one another. Some of the big spikes later in the graph are a function of later mass shootings: The shooting in Thousand Oaks, Calif., last year, for example, came 11 days after the synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh.

Search interest in “gun control” follows a similar pattern. A spike after the incident and some extended interest. After about 20 days, though, things go back to where they were.

5VEF6CXZNBAT7IL3XT46LKUAIM.jpg

On 8/23/2019 at 1:40 AM, China said:

What a sad commentary on our society:

A new high school will have sleek classrooms — and places to hide from a mass shooter

Engineers in World War I dug through the earth to build serpentine trenches borne from horrifically clear logic.

If enemy soldiers ever breached it, the zigzagging pattern would prevent them from shooting in a straight line down the length of the trench — leaving only a relative few exposed to gunfire or shrapnel.

That concept has been reinvigorated a century later, in a sense, for a western Michigan high school, to dampen the killing potential of a mass shooter.

A $48 million major construction project at Fruitport High School will add curved hallways to reduce a gunman’s range, jutting barriers to provide cover and egress, and meticulously spaced classrooms that can lock on demand and hide students in the corner, out of a killer’s sight.

Guns don't kill people. Geometry does. 

@Destino, I think you on to something. 

I've been felt if government treated white terrorist threats the same way they treated every other race, we'd see different results.  The motto after 9/11 was "never again", and they did pretty damn good with that in context of what happens in other countries, could you imagine if we took that same approach with this mass shooter issue, especially those from white nationalist? 

They are probably building profiles on 8chan users the same way they do muslim extremist sites as we speak now, shoulda been doing that.