Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tax Bill

LadySkinsFan

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2018 at 3:31 PM, AJ* said:

This is the Ronald Reagan playbook all over again. Give a huge tax cut, blow a massive hole in the deficit and then nickle-and-dime the middle class to death with tax increases on other things fill up that hole. 

Pretty much. It's basically dangling a small carrot in front of the middle-class with the argument of "you didn't have this carrot before, right?"  The public bites, takes the carrot. In the short term people are happy with the carrot.  By the time the long term effects of small carrot are shown in the overall economy, it's too late.

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Got my second paycheck of the year today (I get paid monthly).  It still has not gone up one ****ing penny.  Meantime, Warren Buffet got $29 billion, which he definitely needs. 

Tbf, could it be your HR people not having the correct withholdings tables?

But if you are like me, even more pay now will be easily eclipsed by higher taxes paid at the end of the year (due to deductions being gutted).

• Like 1

I don't think my paycheck went up.  (Hard to tell exactly, because it varies slightly.  But if it's gone up, I haven't noticed.  And since my paycheck is usually like $x98, I would think that a small increase would look huge.)  

However, I intentionally claim zero deductions.  (Because I want to be over-withheld.)  Maybe if I had been claiming one deduction, it would have changed.  

I got 200+ extra for the first paycheck after the tax bill was implemented.  Now i get about $90 extra. 

5 hours ago, tshile said:

I keep getting the "my paycheck has 90$ more in it" comments from the people around here.

People are very short sighted.

Please explain.  I never owe taxes at the end of hte year. 

Just now, skinfan2k said:

Please explain.  I never owe taxes at the end of hte year. 

He means the govt is receiving less while ever increasing spending....a bad combination.

Of course IME they just spend more when they receive more

One day it will matter.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, twa said:

He means the govt is receiving less while ever increasing spending....a bad combination.

One day it will matter.

Oh yeah you're right.  However do you think putting more money into the pockets would allow states to receive more sales tax. 

Just now, skinfan2k said:

Oh yeah you're right.  However do you think putting more money into the pockets would allow states to receive more sales tax. 

I do think where the money goes matters, and yes.

benefit is determined by how you measure it.

13 minutes ago, twa said:

One day it will matter.

Sure it will. 

When a Democrat is in charge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Larry said:

Sure it will. 

When a Democrat is in charge. 

I would put my willingness to cut govt spending against anyones....no matter who is in charge.

I can deal with wailing and gnashing of teeth.:ols:

You going to dredge up the O reduced the deficit(when compared to Bailout spending of course) BS again?

5 minutes ago, twa said:

You going to dredge up the O reduced the deficit(when compared to Bailout spending of course) BS again?

The label "BS" is used to refer to things that aren't true. 

Which, therefore, includes your statement I just quoted. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Wait until next year. Big surprises coming. And after the 2018 elections too!

You keep saying that.  

I'm pretty certain that if Trump's new tax laws contained lots of stealth tax increases that were going to hit people after the end of the year, the "liberal media" would have been loudly announcing them, about one day after the text of the law got published.