Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Final test for Kirk Cousins: Can he win when the going gets tough?

HapHaszard

Another interesting article by Jerry Brewer, might be worth discussion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/final-test-for-kirk-cousins-can-he-win-when-the-going-gets-tough/2017/09/22/0bc10364-9fa7-11e7-9c8d-cf053ff30921_story.html?tid=a_inl

To complete our degree in quarterback nitpicking, we have to get through one final course this season. Call it “Eclipsing Failure 408.” If we want to be experts at scrutinizing Kirk Cousins — our crazy, excessive and often petty pastime — we need to see him fail, see him lose control more than he has the past two games or even past two seasons. And then we need to watch how he reacts.

Watch closely because that will serve as the capstone lesson in both his quarterback education and our understanding of his true value. Franchise quarterbacks aren’t just defined by success under ideal conditions. Good lord, Cousins knows that by now. If throwing for 4,917 yards last season — the 15th-most prolific passing performance in NFL history — didn’t eliminate concern, there’s not much else Cousins can do. Except outlast failure.

The finest signal-caller connoisseurs will tell you that they prefer to judge a quarterback by his ability to play through struggles, accept imperfection, manage chaos and still win in the end. There’s a belief that, no matter how bad the situation, a good quarterback can make it right. It’s assumed that franchise quarterbacks will put up ridiculous stats most of the time, and Cousins has done that for the better part of two seasons. But what happens when they don’t? Can they stand out in the mud, when the defense is too good or the offense is too bad, when the line collapses and pass rushers batter them, when receivers drop passes and hope seems absent? The real franchise-carrying talents can.

go ahead and read the rest

7 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I admire the local medias ability to (for what seems like the first time ever) steadfastly defend the starting qb. Usually they're the ones leading the charge against them

Why are they doing this, in your honest opinion?  I've seen it too and it is interesting.  It's good, but odd.  Hail

He's had quite a few going get tough wins. How about last year, 0-2 start and down 14-0 to the Giants in NY and we rally to win? Or leading game winning drive against Philly the year before? Or leading the biggest comeback in franchise history? Or, after committing the stupidest play in NFL history(that kneel down to end the 1st half in the division decider in Philly in 2015), he comes out in the 2nd half and absolutely lights the Eagles up?

Can he do it on his own?  I doubt it, if against a strong team, i.e.; Steelers Pats Seahawks, Falcons.

He needs a supporting cast. Even the greatest QBs had help at one time or another during a season. Outside of GB last year, there really isn't a formidable team that he'd beaten, but it also does hold water to the fact that the defense fell short many times. Now, he may have played well enough to win some of those games, but as I said, it takes a team to beat a good team. Its hard to judge what we have right now until at least mid-season, to see if the defense is for real or if they are the same old bunch.

19 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

He's had quite a few going get tough wins. How about last year, 0-2 start and down 14-0 to the Giants in NY and we rally to win? Or leading game winning drive against Philly the year before? Or leading the biggest comeback in franchise history? Or, after committing the stupidest play in NFL history(that kneel down to end the 1st half in the division decider in Philly in 2015), he comes out in the 2nd half and absolutely lights the Eagles up?

I am not a Cousens or Gruden fan. I think both at best are mediocre. Yes Kirk has had some good games and so had Gruden but either has beat a real good team in 4 years. Last year we had the best receiveing team in the NFL and even my aunt Tilley could complete passes to those guys but this year it is different. Kirk choked in the last Giant game throwing that int at the end. If Kirk can come out and light up the Raiders, Chiefs, or Broncos then I will think different but until that happens my thinking is offer him a contract that reflects his won and loss record against good teams. He should not be paid like Rodgers or Brees. He is not in their league. Paying him elite money will handcuff the team. I say let him walk next year, if he will not accept a fair contract, and spend the money on better Def players and draft a legit 1st rounder like Wentz. I think of the Ravens when after they won the Super Bowl, they overpaid Flaco. To do this they had to release 7 starters from their team. They have not be

en the same since.

16 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

This is not a knock on Kirk but I hate that whole "15th most prolific passing season in NFL history" hyperbole considering all but 1 of those 15 have happened in the last 8 years. 

It's a different game. Hell, Montana never even hit 4,000 

Montana's teams had balance, running and receiving.  Great running game and great defense. He never had to throw 50- 60 times a game. Back in those days if you threw the ball 35 or more times a game you lost.

2 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Montana's teams had balance, running and receiving.  Great running game and great defense. He never had to throw 50- 60 times a game. Back in those days if you threw the ball 35 or more times a game you lost.

I don't think that's what it is. I mean that is the case with niners, I agree, but passing now is at lot easier now that the rules have become severely harsher concerning what defensive players can an cannot do. Again, there's a reason all of the top yardage seasons are in the last decade. 

I am watching Steelers play the Bears and I am shocked, absolutely shocked that Big Ben screwed up and failed to look for a dump off receiver and because of that missed converting on a third and three.  Bell had slipped out of the backfield for the first down and more, he was was wide open for the first down and a lot more, Ben failed to look for Bell although Ben was obviously aware his pocket was collapsing.  Apparently Cousins is not the only NFL quarterback that lacks the eyesight of a fly.

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

I am watching Steelers play the Bears and I am shocked, absolutely shocked that Big Ben screwed up and failed to look for a dump off receiver and because of that missed converting on a third and three.  Bell had slipped out of the backfield for the first down and more, he was was wide open for the first down and a lot more, Ben failed to look for Bell although Ben was obviously aware his pocket was collapsing.  Apparently Cousins is not the only NFL quarterback that lacks the eyesight of a fly.

When you pay Ben that kind of money and you count on him to be your franchise QB, you need to come through when it counts, ALWAYS.  Otherwise, its unacceptable. That goes ditto for Matt Ryan, 3 INTS, geez, and he had one on a critical drive. Yeah they won that one but the running game bailed them out.   ;)

On 9/23/2017 at 6:47 AM, Riggo'sRangers said:

Why are they doing this, in your honest opinion?  I've seen it too and it is interesting.  It's good, but odd.  Hail

Because they hate Snyder and until Dan comes out and says Kirk is his guy,  the local media will embrace him as the anti-Snyder Redskins' QB.

Why is the media supporting Kirk?  He's the 3rd ranked QB on average in QBR for the last two seasons (combined).  The team had back to back winning seasons for the first time in two decades plus.  He was in the pro bowl.  Some are acting like Kirk is a failure and the media should be as down on him as JC, Ramsey, RG3 (2013-2014) -- to each their own but that point I think is absurd.

I get the argument about maybe not paying him elite money (I personally think you got to pay him but if people feel otherwise that debate has some traction IMO).  I also get the argument about lets see more from Kirk in the clutch.  But the media having Kirk's back versus the others QBs who have been here?  I don't get what there is not to get.   It's night and day.

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That goes ditto for Matt Ryan, 3 INTS, geez, and he had one on a critical drive. Yeah they won that one but the running game bailed them out.   ;)

I live here, and I get dissed all the time.  We gotta win tonight!  I can just imagine the radio guys in the morning...:taz:

Hail!

5 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

I am not a Cousens or Gruden fan. I think both at best are mediocre. Yes Kirk has had some good games and so had Gruden but either has beat a real good team in 4 years. Last year we had the best receiveing team in the NFL and even my aunt Tilley could complete passes to those guys but this year it is different. Kirk choked in the last Giant game throwing that int at the end. If Kirk can come out and light up the Raiders, Chiefs, or Broncos then I will think different but until that happens my thinking is offer him a contract that reflects his won and loss record against good teams. He should not be paid like Rodgers or Brees. He is not in their league. Paying him elite money will handcuff the team. I say let him walk next year, if he will not accept a fair contract, and spend the money on better Def players and draft a legit 1st rounder like Wentz. I think of the Ravens when after they won the Super Bowl, they overpaid Flaco. To do this they had to release 7 starters from their team. They have not be

en the same since.

The best WRs...what have they done since they left DC? D Jax hasn't done anything. Garcon had a nice game the other day. They weren't even remotely close to the best receiving unit in the NFL.

As far as not beating a good team, how about beating the Giants in NY last year? Or beating the Packers? Both were playoff teams. Sure that's only 2, but it takes a good team to beat another good team. We couldn't run the ball or play defense last year.

I agree with you he's not at the same level as Rodgers or Brees, but that's just how contracts work for QBs. Stafford just got the highest paid deal in the league, is he as good as those guys? No. But in a couple years when the next wave of QBs sign, they'll make even more than that. Its just the way it is.

Archived