Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Tell me why the only person who represents the whole country shouldn't be elected by popular vote? It actually makes no sense - it's not representative democracy.

We repealed how Senators are elected... lets do the same with the President.

To me the entire "popular vote is tyranny" stuff is nonsense anyway because look at the 2016 election, it was 63,000,000 to 60,000,000 (approx). 

That is hardly "the majority wreaking havoc over the minority"  It is a hard fought campaign where 3 million more people wanted the other candidate. 

To me, the "spirit of the EC" 's purpose was not to go with the candidate that did not win the popular vote when it is that close.  When the country is nearly split in half in who they want as the leader, it seems like that is the ideal scenario that you would want to go with the popular vote. 

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It's not in conflict with itself.   The founders established a popular vote.  Then they added a layer allowing political elites to override it.  

Sure.  The way that is being advanced to reform it is called he National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.  The Constitution mandates that each state send electors.  It does not specifically say how those electors must be chosen.  The NPVIC stipulates that the states that enter into it chose those electors based on the winner of the national popular vote.  It would solve most of the issues. 

I'd have to read up on that proposal.  Don't want to discuss it without knowing the specifics.

I find the argument that low population states will be ignored if the Electoral College goes away to be BS. 

Look at Florida. Look at any state really. Hillary won almost all the heavily populated regions of Florida, but lost the state. Pennies add up. 

It it will be more important for a candidate to court votes in every state because losing a state by ten points versus three points suddenly matters. 

19 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Well right now, roughly 80% of the country gets ignored, including rural areas and small towns in non swing states like:  Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas Oklahoma, Tennessee, Alaska and Alabama.

Edit:  Not to mention the small towns in California, New York, all of New England ... you get the point. 

@visionary

Someone made a graphic for this.  Here are all of the campaign events done by Trump, Pence, Hillary and Kaine after the conventions.  

Two-thirds (273 of 399) of the general-election campaign events in the 2016 presidential race were in just 6 states (Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, and Michigan).   

94% of the 2016 events (375 of the 399) were in 12 states

map-2016-campaign-events-v1-2016-11-7.jpg

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

You can delegate authority, but not responsibility.

Never said they could, I DID say POTUS is not elected to be our representative.(which differs fundamentally from a executive)

The responsibility is POTUS's alone for anything he has authority over

3 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Tell me why the only person who represents the whole country shouldn't be elected by popular vote? 

Because the States select the President.

I doubt the latest scheme will pass legal muster, though they could do proportional delegates instead if they choose.

13 minutes ago, twa said:

Never said they could, I DID say POTUS is not elected to be our representative.(which differs fundamentally from a executive)

The responsibility is POTUS's alone for anything he has authority over

At least a part of any executive leadership role is to be a representative for the entity you are leading.

Which in the case of POTUS is the United States and by extension you/us.

Even though I’m not a citizen I am a resident of this Country. Personally I would not let Trump represent me in a line at a toilet.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

At least a part of any executive leadership role is to be a representative for the entity you are leading.

A minor part here, one mostly delegated.....certainly not the role

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

You calling it minor is your view which you are certainly entitled to. I would disagree. I would agree it’s not the whole role.

It is not a fundamental role, nor a requirement......it can be delegated in ways the other roles cannot imo.

I hope you all realize that TWA is arguing over the word "representative" in this sentence:

We are both a republic and a democracy.  Saying we are one and not the other is a false dichotomy.  And in any event, the difference between those 2 things has nothing to do with HOW representatives are elected.  

The word "representative" in that sentence could easily be replaced by "leaders" or "officials" or "government officers" or whatever and literally have no impact on the meaning of the sentence.  This is now a 24-hour argument over semantics with a person that doesn't use complete sentences. 

May God have mercy on all of you.

1 minute ago, clietas said:

Still a great political ad. Art at its finest. 

That is not a political ad.  That is a threat against anyone who opposes him.  It is the lunatic ravings of a serial killer in photographic negative.  That is both a cry for help and a violent assault.  I fear this man.  I wish for his destruction.

Archived