Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

7 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2017-03-14/whose-votes-count-least-in-the-electoral-college

Congrats, the EC means you really only have 4/5 of a vote for President. 

Depends on your view.  As a swing state voter, you could say it's more. 

But yes I know how the EC works and how the math works.  I still support it.  Though I am disappointed in the EC letting Trump get through.  

20 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

But yes I know how the EC works and how the math works.  I still support it.

Care to explain why?

7 minutes ago, visionary said:

Won’t rural areas and smaller towns get ignored though?  I don’t know.  As much as I think the EC may be outdated, I’m not sure it’s a good idea for get rid of it.

Well right now, roughly 80% of the country gets ignored, including rural areas and small towns in non swing states like:  Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas Oklahoma, Tennessee, Alaska and Alabama.

Edit:  Not to mention the small towns in California, New York, all of New England ... you get the point. 

3 hours ago, tshile said:

i turned on the news yesterday after getting home from the 4 day bachelor party in vegas, which by the way if you want to experience an incredible depression go party your ass off for 4 days in a party city then come home and turn on the news. anyways...

with the preface noted above, i just couldn't help but think the dems are going to screw this up by trying to make this election more about how 'america is ready for liberal ideas' than 'america eagerly wants to get rid of trump.' i just think they're going to give people an excuse to vote for trump that might otherwise not if they continue to push for radical changes. 

Total malpractice to mention the Vegas thing and not give at least a PG version of the exploits...…..

But I agree. Last incumbent president to not win re-election was GHWB in '92, and that was because he was running against a generational political talent in Clinton. I don't see a Bill Clinton in the crop of Dem candidates so far. The past two presidents before Trump went into their re-election bids fairly weakened, and yet were able to prevail. Trump has a decent economy going for him, albeit two years out, but his position is weakened by his insane narcissism. I also don't think the Dem candidate in 2020 is going to basically mail it in like Hillary did, and just assume that people wouldn't vote for Trump, and not make a better case for herself. And as others have said, I don't think many in the field so far have the baggage that Hillary did. I just think a lot of Americans do tend to be status quo, especially when the incumbent is running. Not sure how well they'll respond to a "shake it up" candidate...………….

32 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Care to explain why?

Not really.

Sorry but I feel this discussion has been had many times and seems to be one where few people budge.

How Bout we agree my reasons are all the ones for keeping it and your reasons are all the ones for getting rid of it.

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Not really.

Sorry but I feel this discussion has been had many times and seems to be one where few people budge.

How Bout we agree my reasons are all the ones for keeping it and your reasons are all the ones for getting rid of it.

Because all of the reasons for keeping it are (1) so that the political elite ultimately choose the President because regular voters cannot be trusted and (2) because very small states should have 3 times the voting power per capita than people in other states.  

And I guess (3) because a complex mishmash of 51 separate winner-take all elections that skews voting power for arbitrary reasons, results in 80% of states not being seriously contested, and causes the person receiving the most votes to lose on a somewhat regular basis is inherently better than a simple popular vote.  

Those reasons?

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Because all of the reasons for keeping it are (1) so that the political elite ultimately choose the President because regular voters cannot be trusted and (2) because very small states should have 3 times the voting power per capita than people in other states.  

And I guess (3) because a complex mishmash of 51 separate winner-take all elections that skews voting power for arbitrary reasons, results in 80% of states not being seriously contested, and causes the person receiving the most votes to lose on a somewhat regular basis is inherently better than a simple popular vote.  

Those reasons?

Well since you put it that way, **** yea!

More seriously, I fear the power of the majority.  I think there is a reason the FF didn't want it that way.  I think the way the EC is could use some tweaking but am 100% against getting rid of it.

I'm sorry but I am both tired and tired of the debate.  It's like discussing abortion, no one is budging.

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Well that's extraordinarily undemocratic.  

Do I need to trot out the whole "we are a republic, not a democracy" tag lines?

(Yes I know it's more complicated than that bumper sticker.  And I know you are smart enough to know what I'm getting at.)

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Do I need to trot out the whole "we are a republic, not a democracy" tag lines?

(Yes I know it's more complicated than that bumper sticker.  And I know you are smart enough to know what I'm getting at.)

We are both a republic and a democracy.  Saying we are one and not the other is a false dichotomy.  And in any event, the difference between those 2 things has nothing to do with HOW representatives are elected.  

15 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

We are both a republic and a democracy.  Saying we are one and not the other is a false dichotomy.  And in any event, the difference between those 2 things has nothing to do with HOW representatives are elected.  

No, but it does for the leader elected by the United States of America....who is not a representative, but rather the Executive

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I literally have no idea what you are trying to say.  Perhaps multiple sentences?

Have you never noticed the difference between a executive and a representative?

34 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'll say this and then I'm done.  I don't want, and I don't think the FF wanted, POTUS to be elected by a simple majority.  That runs the risk if the majority suppressing the rights of the minority.  I think you know the reasons of the FF to want it this way.  That said, the POTUS was never meant to have the power he has today.  I'm all for resigning in the power of the Executive.  The bulk of power should rest with Congress who is a mix of representation by population and by a equal share of 50 states.  Now one could argue they are a **** show who can't get anything productive done.  And my counter point would be pointing to Trump.

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Well since you put it that way, **** yea!

More seriously, I fear the power of the majority.  I think there is a reason the FF didn't want it that way.  I think the way the EC is could use some tweaking but am 100% against getting rid of it.

I'm sorry but I am both tired and tired of the debate.  It's like discussing abortion, no one is budging.

The FF wanted a white moneyed elite to rule, ergo the EC and state legislatures electing the Senate seats. The executive branch has over time become more powerful. That's wrong.

All federal elections should be popular and direct. 

I think federal judges should have term limits between five and ten years.

Archived