Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It's a really good question. I wonder if the down ballot effect might not be the opposite of what we'd expect, to an extent. In other words, people in a red state might be tired of Trump specifically, but not want to vote for not only a Democratic President, but give him a D Senate and House. I am a bit skeptical about how many traditional R voter are going to vote an entirely blue ticket, especially when their grievances are targeted at Trump in particular. 

I think you could have a significant number of both scenarios.  Trump lovers who think their down ballot R is a RINO or not sufficiently Trumpy, but also people that hate Trump, but don't want Biden to have full control of Congress too.  

Personally hoping for a blue wave of epic proportions, from POTUS down to the statehouses and local elections.  

2 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Birds for Biden. I’ll see myself out.

It is another solid speech though. He seems more comfortable and confident all the time. Dignified.

I suspect, like most with a stutter, prepared Biden is an A+ orator. Its when he's asked questions on the fly that his brain and mouth disconnect sometimes. 

The question that should be asked internally is..how many times is the President unprepared for a speech during their 4-8 years?

I don’t care if Skittles fall out his mouth every time he talks for the next four years, just get this thing across the finish line.

I don’t expect him to bust out a Cross of Gold performance, but he’s certainly in a groove right now. To hear him speak a little about his plans was nice too.

As someone on Obamacare, the idea of losing my insurance is a heavy weight.

20 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think you could have a significant number of both scenarios.  Trump lovers who think their down ballot R is a RINO or not sufficiently Trumpy,

I would venture to guess that the number of people who are going to vote Democrat out of some odd pro-Trumpian protest movement are statistically fairly insignificant. 

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I would venture to guess that the number of people who are going to vote Democrat out of some odd pro-Trumpian protest movement are statistically fairly insignificant. 

They won't vote Dem, but they'll leave it blank if Senator X decides post-Labor Day that he/she needs to create some distance with Trump's tire fire of an administration and Trump rage tweets about them. 

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

They won't vote Dem, but they'll leave it blank if Senator X decides post-Labor Day that he/she needs to create some distance with Trump's tire fire of an administration and Trump rage tweets about them. 

That's a lot of pretty unlikely things you're assuming happen.

2 minutes ago, gbear said:

One thing I missed over the weekend was Houston canceling the in person part of the R convention. Are they doing it entirely in FL...the new epicenter of COVID 19?

That was the state convention. The national one has been scheduled for Florida since they rage-moved to from NC. 

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

That was the state convention. The national one has been scheduled for Florida since they rage-moved to from NC. 

Due to the mask requirements. Which FL has since implemented. Oh and the committee already spent tens of millions of dollars on the NC convention and might not have enough to cover the Jacksonville one LOL. 

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

That's a lot of pretty unlikely things you're assuming happen.

You think?  I think it is very clear that Trump is pulling down other Republicans.

NYTimes - Trump’s Sagging Popularity Drags Down Republican Senate Candidates

WashingtonPost - McCarthy acknowledges concerns about Trump’s sagging popularity hurting Senate Republicans

As such, I think it is extremely likely that some down ballot candidates will try to create daylight between their candidacy and Trump's, and if that happens, Trump will almost certainly turn on them publicly.  See Flake, Jeff.  See also Corker, Bob. 

9 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The GOP convention (as currently planned) is being split between Charlotte and Jacksonville.  

https://www.2020gopconvention.com/about-the-convention/

The official business of the 2020 Republican National Convention, including the formal nomination of President Donald J. Trump, will be held in Charlotte, North Carolina on August 21-24, 2020. This vital party business is, of course, the primary purpose of any national convention. 

Other important convention business will also take place in the “Queen City,” including the Convention Committee on Credentials meeting and the publication of proceedings. As the North Carolina Governor’s Executive Order prohibited convention celebrations in Charlotte, the Republican National Committee modified the rules to align with the state’s current restrictions in place so that fewer delegates and staff are required to gather in Charlotte.

Following the official business, there will be a five-star convention celebration – including the president’s acceptance, speeches by other individuals and candidates, and other convention-related activities – in Jacksonville, Florida on August 24-27, 2020. The convention celebration will be an encore like never before. 

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You think?  I think it is very clear that Trump is pulling down other Republicans.

NYTimes - Trump’s Sagging Popularity Drags Down Republican Senate Candidates

WashingtonPost - McCarthy acknowledges concerns about Trump’s sagging popularity hurting Senate Republicans

As such, I think it is extremely likely that some down ballot candidates will try to create daylight between their candidacy and Trump's, and if that happens, Trump will almost certainly turn on them publicly.  See Flake, Jeff.  See also Corker, Bob. 

I think the subject of your replies are getting so wildly inconsistent that it's giving me whiplash. 

You were responding to a discussion specifically about undecided Republicans in Alaska. Even assuming you were expanding that to more general "red state" (since that was in the quote you originally posted) Republicans, your argument still was suggesting the following:

1. That red State Republican Congresspeople were going to specifically attack Trump.

2. That Trump would take the time out fo fighting for his political life to target other Republican candidates in general election fights with Democrats.

3. That this would then cause Republican voters to just leave ballot sections blank, enabling Democratic victories.

And yes, I find each element of that unlikely (though Trump is stupid and unpredictable enough that nothing he does would be that surprising).

Now, you seem to have (accidentally, I hope and assume) basically Straw Manned an argument that I don't think Trump will have down ballot effects. Which is not close to true.

BTW, Flake and Corker opposed Trump on several subjects for a long period of time and each resigned before running for re-election. Doesn't have a lot of relevancy to this topic. 

12 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I think the subject of your replies are getting so wildly inconsistent that it's giving me whiplash. 

You were responding to a discussion specifically about undecided Republicans in Alaska. Even assuming you were expanding that to more general "red state" (since that was in the quote you originally posted) Republicans,

I was definitely expanding it to general "red states", not specifically Alaska.  

your argument still was suggesting the following:

1. That red State Republican Congresspeople were going to specifically attack Trump.

2. That Trump would take the time out fo fighting for his political life to target other Republican candidates in general election fights with Democrats.

3. That this would then cause Republican voters to just leave ballot sections blank, enabling Democratic victories.

And yes, I find each element of that unlikely (though Trump is stupid and unpredictable enough that nothing he does would be that surprising).

Running afoul of Trump does not require someone to "attack" him.  It just takes someone not sufficiently defending him or mildly disagreeing with him.  He's thin-skinned, you may have noticed.  And YES, Trump will DEFINITELY take the time to target someone who he felt wronged him.  He's a bully, he LIVES for that ****.  FFS he once raged tweeted at a 16 year old girl who gave a speech he didn't like.  

Trump's followers will do WHATEVER Trump tells them to do, even if it makes no logical sense.  They won't even wear masks during a pandemic because Trump hinted that they shouldn't.  

Now, you seem to have (accidentally, I hope and assume) basically Straw Manned an argument that I don't think Trump will have down ballot effects. Which is not close to true.

BTW, Flake and Corker opposed Trump on several subjects for a long period of time and each resigned before running for re-election. Doesn't have a lot of relevancy to this topic. 

Fair enough.  I think it's going to happen to at least a handful of congressional candidates. Flake and Corker both declined to run because Trump had thrashed them and it was clear they, therefore, could not get reelected in AZ and TN, respectively.  Pretty relevant except the timing is different.   

17 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Running afoul of Trump does not require someone to "attack" him.  It just takes someone not sufficiently defending him or mildly disagreeing with him.  He's thin-skinned, you may have noticed.  And YES, Trump will DEFINITELY take the time to target someone who he felt wronged him.  He's a bully, he LIVES for that ****.  FFS he once raged tweeted at a 16 year old girl who gave a speech he didn't like.  

Trump's followers will do WHATEVER Trump tells them to do.  They won't even wear masks during a pandemic because Trump hinted that they shouldn't.     

You are suggesting a Republican IN A REPUBLICAN STATE will turn on the Republican President to enough of an extent that that President will tell his voters not to vote for a Republican who would potentially shield him from investigation and impeachment. 

My calling that unlikely is a profound understatement.

McSally is terrible senator.  Actually, Kelly is having the opposite effect.  He may boost Biden chances of winning Arizona.

Expecting the GOP voter to turn against Trump is wishful thinking.  It may happen that some of the non-Trump GOPers may leave Trump.  I wouldn't pin my chances on that.

There are more Democrats than Republicans.  Always has been and always will be.   If Biden can't get the Democratic voters to be more than what Trump will be able to get among the GOP voters; then he won't win.  He also needs to maintain his lead among Independents.   If he can get some GOP voters that would be bonus and if that happens, then you could see a possible landslide.

I don't get how anyone is still undecided on the question of whether you are voting for Trump or not.  That seems like a clear choice.   Now, I can get be undecided on whether you will vote for Biden, voter third party, leave the President vote blank or not even vote. 

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

You are suggesting a Republican IN A REPUBLICAN STATE will turn on the Republican President to enough of an extent that that President will tell his voters not to vote for a Republican who would potentially shield him from investigation and impeachment. 

My calling that unlikely is a profound understatement.

You are suggesting that Trump is much more of a stratgic thinker than all evidence supports. 

5 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think you could have a significant number of both scenarios.  Trump lovers who think their down ballot R is a RINO or not sufficiently Trumpy, but also people that hate Trump, but don't want Biden to have full control of Congress too.  

Personally hoping for a blue wave of epic proportions, from POTUS down to the statehouses and local elections.  

As someone most here seem to consider to be on the right, I can assure you I’ll be voting dem down the entire ticket

the only test for republicans to me is did you denounce trump? If you did then I’m interested in what you have to say but probably won’t vote for you. If you didn’t (and I include people who didn’t say anything in the category of not denouncing trump) then I don’t care who the other person is they get my vote. 

37 minutes ago, tshile said:

the only test for republicans to me is did you denounce trump? If you did then I’m interested in what you have to say but probably won’t vote for you. If you didn’t (and I include people who didn’t say anything in the category of not denouncing trump) then I don’t care who the other person is they get my vote.

so you’re left with what, 60% of Mitt Romney and nobody else 

Archived