Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

48 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Bernie should get no one's support until he releases his tax returns.

hang on, Clinton didn't release her tax returns until she got the party nomination. Same with every other presidential candidate since Carter in 1976. Why is Bernie being held to a higher standard?

This isn't a defense of why Bernie is being coy with his, but have we seen Buttigeg's tax returns? Beto O'Rourke's? Tulsi Gabbard? Andrew Yang?

So far its only Gildebrand and Warren who have released theirs. This is a strange bridge to hold someone accountable to when you aren't anyone else. 

The whole Bernie Sanders tax returns thing.  Sorry but Trump set a new precedent.  Would I prefer Bernie......along with EVERYONE ELSE release their tax returns as soon as, or shortly thereafter announcing they are running? Yes. I'd even support a law making it mandatory.  However, Trump has skated the issue and has faced little to no repercussions for it, so how are we going to create a new standard with a straight face for other folks?   

Now, if Bernie actually won the nomination and still held out on releasing them? We can re-visit this issue. 

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Now, if Bernie actually won the nomination and still held out on releasing them? We can re-visit this issue. 

I would very much like to address the issue before its him or trump. Very, very much. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I would very much like to address the issue before its him or trump. Very, very much. 

Ideally I would too, but once Trump basically was able to skirted the issue all together, how do we change the standard for other folks going forward unless it is written into law it has to happen?

Vows to release his tax return is some how a bad thing to say yet Beto and Julian Castro said the same thing:

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/04/02/beto-orourke-julian-castro-release-tax-returns-timing-unclear/

Anyone who is anti-Bernie because you for some strange reason think he cost Hillary an election in which she didn't bother visiting the midwest need to take a look at yourselves. Especially since Bernie didn't act any worse in 2016 than Hillary did in 2008 when she damn near went to the convention trying to unseat Obama.

7 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Vows to release his tax return is some how a bad thing to say yet Beto and Julian Castro said the same thing:

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/04/02/beto-orourke-julian-castro-release-tax-returns-timing-unclear/

Anyone who is anti-Bernie because you for some strange reason think he cost Hillary an election in which she didn't bother visiting the midwest need to take a look at yourselves. Especially since Bernie didn't act any worse in 2016 than Hillary did in 2008 when she damn near went to the convention trying to unseat Obama.

A couple points:

Bernie has made a big deal about others releasing tax returns...but remains staunchly reticent about his own.  In 2016 he released I think 2 pages of his 2015 returns and that’s it.  Hillary posted 10 years of full returns on her website.

What happened in 2008 really has nothing to do with Bernie and his candidacy.  Bringing it up is just simple whataboutism...like Trump supporters often do.  Aim higher.

I am not even Pro or Anti Bernie at this point.  I just think the media is going about this wrong.  Bernie didn't change the precedent on the tax return release stuff, Trump did.  So what the media should be focused on is the issue itself, the practice of releasing tax returns, regardless of the candidate.  They should be questioning whether the practice itself should in the future, go beyond "unwritten tradition" and written into law so we can avoid this type of thing every election cycle.  

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

They should be questioning whether the practice itself should in the future, go beyond "unwritten tradition" and written into law so we can avoid this type of thing every election cycle.  

It probably should and I would support that.  I hope Bernie can find the time to make it to that vote instead of missing it like he did with multiple Russian sanction votes.

Individual states can write the laws that declared candidates release their tax returns prior to primaries. 

I, for one, want to know that the people I am voting for don't have any conflicts of interest to the laws they either will vote into law or administer.

I am in favor of this right down to the local level. 

We have to clean up the corruption at all levels.

9 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am not even Pro or Anti Bernie at this point.  I just think the media is going about this wrong.  Bernie didn't change the precedent on the tax return release stuff, Trump did.  So what the media should be focused on is the issue itself, the practice of releasing tax returns, regardless of the candidate.  They should be questioning whether the practice itself should in the future, go beyond "unwritten tradition" and written into law so we can avoid this type of thing every election cycle.  

There are tons of laws and amendments that need to be passed after Trump is gone; so this never happens again.

The Trump presidency is the ultimate stress test on the institutions of this country and it's clear cracks have formed. A 2nd Trump term could finish the job.  Post, Trump we need to repair and rebuild those cracks.

14 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Only argument I have here is that I dont want anyone from the dem party playing by the Trump rules just because they can. I would like better from them personally. I dont trust anyone enough to take advantage of the system and then claim to be helping me fix it. Thats not about The Burn but about politicians in general. 

48 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The whole Bernie Sanders tax returns thing.  Sorry but Trump set a new precedent.  Would I prefer Bernie......along with EVERYONE ELSE release their tax returns as soon as, or shortly thereafter announcing they are running? Yes. I'd even support a law making it mandatory.  However, Trump has skated the issue and has faced little to no repercussions for it, so how are we going to create a new standard with a straight face for other folks?   

Like this.
Now, the only person who refused was a known liar, fraud, potential traitor and all around piece of garbage human being.
I guess you could allow us to classify you in the same way, or you could just release the tax returns and save everyone the trouble of wondering if you are the same as the most vile, despicable piece of **** this country ever elected to any position, ever.

~Bang

PS.. playing by Trump rules doesn't make anyone better. it makes everyone worse.

On 4/4/2019 at 11:34 AM, Hersh said:

100% agree. Tim Ryan of Ohio announced today he is running. Seth Moulton of Mass is thinking about it. 

Tim Ryan might be a good VP candidate which is why I think he is running. 

Other than Biden and maybe Stacey Abrams, noone else that is getting in could go far.

Even though it's early in the cycle, you can already sort of see who is going to be the real contenders next winter.

Bernie Sanders, Beto O'Rourke, Kamala Harris, Pete Buttugueg and if the handsy issues doesn't sink him, Joe Biden.

The first 2 debates are going to be critical.  Someone like Cory Booker, Amy Klobuchar. Kirsten Gillebrand, Julian Castro or anyone else will have to break through or their campaigns don't make it to winter.

I think if Stacy Abrams runs for President, she has potential to make to the winter.  Elizabeth Warren needs to get cash.  The small donations that she's limiting herself to, isn't working as well.  More people are giving money to Bernie, Beto than her.  Elizabeth has the hallmarks of being the first real big name bust of 2020.  We see it every cycle.

I sense there's an opening on the Joe Biden lane.  Joe could be derailed. We need someone younger, who can occupy the Biden lane. It doesn't mean they will win but there's definitely an opening since most of the other candidates are going to varying degress to the left.

There is a new standard now imo. I want candidates to release their taxes upon entering a campaign. I should have this information available when deciding during a primary. It is critical information and shouldn’t be withheld until we’ve crossed the point of no return with a particular candidate. 

Every candidate should do it now. Make a law as well for candidates moving forward 

54 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

What happened in 2008 really has nothing to do with Bernie and his candidacy.  Bringing it up is just simple whataboutism...like Trump supporters often do.  Aim higher.

Miss me with all of that. A larger percentage of Bernie supporters voted for Hillary in the general election than Hillary supporters did for Obama in 2008. I bring it up because it happened.

The only reason people are harping on Bernie not releasing his is that they are mad about 2016. If it was really a big deal, demands would be made of all candidates to release there returns. Not just one.

53 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Exactly. This is a HUGE problem with this country. We nitpick on the periphery and outskirts because no one wants to deal with the hard question and do anything meaningful to change things.

27 minutes ago, Bang said:

Like this.
Now, the only person who refused was a known liar, fraud, potential traitor and all around piece of garbage human being.
I guess you could allow us to classify you in the same way, or you could just release the tax returns and save everyone the trouble of wondering if you are the same as the most vile, despicable piece of **** this country ever elected to any position, ever.

~Bang

PS.. playing by Trump rules doesn't make anyone better. it makes everyone worse.

I definitely see what you are getting at and I agree that as of RIGHT NOW, not releasing your tax returns puts you in the camp of the most vile candidate in modern history, however when it comes to these kinds of things once there is a crack in the well, more times than not, instead of fixing the crack, it turns into a leak, then a bigger leak, and eventually the entire side of the well bursts.

What we say makes someone "in the company of Trump" for 2020, could end up as the norm in another decade.  Right now when it comes to gov't officials it certainly seems to be heading in the "I don't have to show you jack s........" and they get political cover for it by their parties.

I certainly hope that is not the case, and if Bernie somehow did win the nomination and isn't releasing his tax returns, then I believe he should be fully held to the fire for it. I am just saying that it is hard to go back once the precedent is made.

Now it would be completely different if when Trump kept refusing to release his tax returns, he paid a price and enough people DQ'd him in their minds right then and there, but Trump's example thus far has shown "tradition" is not that strong of an incentive or motivation to do the right thing. 

I suppose what I am getting at, is that Trump's actions should be a lesson as well as a call to action.  Stop p-footing around and make it a lawful requirement to release your tax returns if you run for President.   Enough going after certain candidates over it, trying to make it an issue for some while giving others a pass.   The correct path forward is making it a law across the board which allows us to avoid the dog & pony show.

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

There is a new standard now imo. I want candidates to release their taxes upon entering a campaign. I should have this information available when deciding during a primary. It is critical information and shouldn’t be withheld until we’ve crossed the point of no return with a particular candidate. 

Every candidate should do it now. Make a law as well for candidates moving forward 

I agree 200% with this.

Bernie should release his tax returns, along with everyone else. My only issue is why are people ONLY attacking Bernie over this?

15 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I agree 200% with this.

Bernie should release his tax returns, along with everyone else. My only issue is why are people ONLY attacking Bernie over this?

Maybe because Sanders is the only one who entered primaries in 2016 election season that's currently running. He should have released his returns when he announced. 

Want to run as an independent in the Democratic party, run as a Democrat should.

That said, the rest of them need to release their returns now and send a real message to the electorate that Democrats have more integrity on this issue than any Republican.

Edited to add: this applies to all Democrats right down to the local level. Democrats, the party with nothing to hide!

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Bernie has made a big deal about others releasing tax returns...but remains staunchly reticent about his own.  In 2016 he released I think 2 pages of his 2015 returns and that’s it.  Hillary posted 10 years of full returns on her website.

This combined with the fact that when asked he keeps saying "soon" and then never follows through is what gives me pause.  I think I saw a tweet the other day mentioning that 40 days ago (now a little longer) he has said "soon."

If you don't want to release them until you're the nominee, say so.

But Bernie has been dangling them as "coming soon" despite never following through for a while now.

And absolutely, others should get smacked of they fail to release their returns too.  But at this point I think Bernie, as an ex-2016 candidate, who has also hit others on their returns, AND who keeps promising his returns are coming soon and then not releasing them, is in a somewhat unique position.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

I definitely see what you are getting at and I agree that as of RIGHT NOW, not releasing your tax returns puts you in the camp of the most vile candidate in modern history, however when it comes to these kinds of things once there is a crack in the well, more times than not, instead of fixing the crack, it turns into a leak, then a bigger leak, and eventually the entire side of the well bursts.

What we say makes someone "in the company of Trump" for 2020, could end up as the norm in another decade.  Right now when it comes to gov't officials it certainly seems to be heading in the "I don't have to show you jack s........" and they get political cover for it by their parties.

I certainly hope that is not the case, and if Bernie somehow did win the nomination and isn't releasing his tax returns, then I believe he should be fully held to the fire for it. I am just saying that it is hard to go back once the precedent is made.

Now it would be completely different if when Trump kept refusing to release his tax returns, he paid a price and enough people DQ'd him in their minds right then and there, but Trump's example thus far has shown "tradition" is not that strong of an incentive or motivation to do the right thing. 

I suppose what I am getting at, is that Trump's actions should be a lesson as well as a call to action.  Stop p-footing around and make it a lawful requirement to release your tax returns if you run for President.   Enough going after certain candidates over it, trying to make it an issue for some while giving others a pass.   The correct path forward is making it a law across the board which allows us to avoid the dog & pony show.

Cheers to THAT

~Bang

Archived