Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Emerging Technologies....They Might Have Cured Cancer

PleaseBlitz

ELON MUSK SUGGESTS THAT A BRAIN PARASITE IS FORCING HUMANS TO CREATE SUPERHUMAN AI

Elon Musk tweeted a fascinating — and frankly unsettling — theory last night about how a brain parasite might be forcing all humans to create advanced AI.

The Tesla CEO was responding to a story from National Geographic about how toxoplasmosis, a common parasite often found in cats, seems to be causing hyenas to be reckless around predators such as lions. In a staggering and perhaps facetious leap of logic, Musk suggested that the parasite is actually what’s causing humans to create advanced artificial intelligence. 

“Toxoplasmosis infects rats, then cats, then humans who make cat videos,” Musk tweeted on Friday. “AI trains achieves superhuman intelligence training on Internet cat videos, thus making toxoplasmosis the true arbiter of our destiny.”

Click on the link for more

• 2 months later...

Elon Musk and Grimes break up after three years together

Elon Musk and Grimes have broken up after three years together, Page Six can exclusively reveal.

The SpaceX founder confirmed that he and the Canadian singer are “semi-separated” but remain on good terms and continue to co-parent their 1-year-old son, the epically named X Æ A-Xii Musk.

“We are semi-separated but still love each other, see each other frequently and are on great terms,” Musk told us.

“It’s mostly that my work at SpaceX and Tesla requires me to be primarily in Texas or traveling overseas and her work is primarily in LA. She’s staying with me now and Baby X is in the adjacent room.”

Click on the link for the full story

• Sad 1

Elon Musk says he's sending Jeff Bezos a silver medal and a 'giant statue' of the number 2 after surpassing him again to become the world's richest person

Elon Musk has taken a jab at Jeff Bezos after toppling him to become the world's richest person again.

On Monday, the Tesla and SpaceX CEO became the third person in the world to ever be worth $200 billion, according to Forbes.

In response, Musk said he is sending Bezos a reminder of where they stand on Forbes' billionaires list.

"I'm sending a giant statue of the digit '2' to Jeffrey B., along with a silver medal," Musk told Forbes in an email.

Bezos had been the first person to reach the $200 billion milestone when he did so last August. Bernard Arnault, the CEO of French luxury conglomerate LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, briefly hit that mark more recently.

Musk and the former Amazon CEO have leap-frogged each other for the title of world's richest person multiple times.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Dead-End SF Street Plagued With Confused WayMo Cars Trying To Turn Around ‘Every 5 Minutes’

A normally quiet neighborhood in San Francisco is buzzing about a sudden explosion of traffic. Neighbors say their Richmond District dead end street has suddenly become crowded with WayMo vehicles.

“I noticed it while I was sleeping,” says Jennifer King. “I awoke to a strange hum and I thought there was a spacecraft outside my bedroom window.”

The visitors Jennifer King is talking about don’t just come at night. They come all day, right to the end of 15th Avenue, where there’s nothing else to do but make some kind of multi-point turn and head out the way they came in. Not long after that car is gone, there will be another, which will make the same turn and leave, before another car shows up and does the exact same thing. And while there are some pauses, it never really stops.

“There are some days where it can be up to 50,” King says of the WayMo count. “It’s literally every five minutes. And we’re all working from home, so this is what we hear.”

“We have talked to the drivers, who don’t have much to say other than the car is programmed and they’re just doing their job,” King says.

“There are fleets of them driving through the neighborhood regularly,” says Lewin. “And it’s been going on for six, eight weeks, maybe more.”

KPIX 5 reached out to WayMo who responded by asking for more information about the neighbors’ concerns and the specific location of the circling cars. As of airtime, they had not yet provided any explanation.

Click on the link for the full article and video

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Elon Musk rips Democrats' billionaire-tax plan that could slap him with a $10 billion annual bill

Tesla founder Elon Musk on Monday evening criticized a Democratic tax proposal that would target American billionaires to fund a safety-net expansion, saying it represented the start of a new campaign from Democrats to redistribute wealth from the richest Americans.

"Eventually, they run out of other people's money and then they come for you," he wrote on Twitter.

In a separate tweet, Musk said any government-induced reallocation of wealth would be better managed by the private sector.

"Who is best at capital allocation - government or entrepreneurs - is indeed what it comes down to," he wrote on Twitter. "The tricksters will conflate capital allocation with consumption."

Musk is focusing on a proposal chiefly authored by Sen. Ron Wyden, the chair of the Senate Finance Committee, which may be unveiled as soon as Wednesday. The plan is meant to impose taxes on tradable assets like stocks held by about 700 billionaires to fund an expansion of healthcare, childcare, and renew President Joe Biden's beefed-up child tax credit.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

While I love having TSLA stock and have been a tesla fanboy for awhile, Elon is starting to really annoy me. Who does he think is driving his cars and helping push the electric car revolution? It wasn't a bunch of GQPers. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

www.spinlaunch.com

Swing a spacecraft around really really fast and then slingshot it into orbit.

Definitely NOT viable for humans as the g-forces would kills you long before you got up to launch speed but apparently some spacecraft are robust enough. I doubt if solar arrays would survive launch.

And the air drag must be brutal too. But hey … the physics must check out if they’ve got funding.

https://www.space.com/spinlaunch-first-test-flight-success

Edited by Corcaigh

On 10/26/2021 at 8:35 PM, Hersh said:

While I love having TSLA stock and have been a tesla fanboy for awhile, Elon is starting to really annoy me. Who does he think is driving his cars and helping push the electric car revolution? It wasn't a bunch of GQPers. 

Also keep in mind that every Tesla ever sold in the US has come with a hefty 4 figure tax credit.  IOW, the federal government has subsidized Tesla every step of the way and continues to do so.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Also keep in mind that every Tesla ever sold in the US has come with a hefty 4 figure tax credit.  IOW, the federal government has subsidized Tesla every step of the way and continues to do so.

Yea, but what you gonna do. 

The government chose to give those subsidies because it wanted to invest in the development of a new kind of industry. Elon has the vision and his team did the work and they accomplished quite a bit. The government got what they paid for.

Now saying that Elon owes the government even more because he accepted the money to create an industry is saying he should be rewarded less for creating an industry. 

by the way, he sold the stock and is paying billions of dollars in stock. He would like to know how Bernie plans to use his billions. Sounds reasonable to me.

”We need subsides to make sure green energy gains traction”

also

”Elon invested our money and executed his plan too well and now we want him to pay more that what the law says he needs to pay. He owes us.”

By the way, I’m taking advantage of the 26% tax credit and getting Tesla solar installed on my house.  $17K sub 4K for a 13k net cost.

subsidies.. mmm.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

17 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

by the way, he sold the stock and is paying billions of dollars in stock. He would like to know how Bernie plans to use his billions. Sounds reasonable to me.

Him diverting the issue on selling the stock may be the best gas light of all time. He sold that stock to pay for taxes for meeting his contracted incentives.

He had the bill coming since he exercised his options and since he doesn't take a salary he had to pay a regular share of taxes.

Posting that twitter poll and convincing people he sold to help pay taxes is incredible and shows how little people understand the tax code, and it shows how convoluted the tax code is for super high net worth individuals. 

Tesla's Musk sells $930 mln in shares to cover stock option tax - filings

Nov 15 (Reuters) - Tesla (TSLA.O) CEO Elon Musk has sold $930 million in shares to meet tax withholding obligations related to the exercise of stock options, U.S. securities filings showed on Monday.

CNBC - Musk Stock

Musk sold about $6.9 billion worth of stock in the company over the course of the week. Some of the shares were sold in part to satisfy tax obligations related to an exercise of stock options.

Also, I think it's amazing how little people understand how someone like Musk and Bezos actually operate from a day to day standpoint of money. They don't have to pay taxes on income as they pledge shares of equity to borrow money. Per the below. 

"In the company's latest financial report, Tesla revealed Musk had already used 92.3 million shares as collateral to fund personal debt. If Musk didn't want to go further into debt, he could consider a cashless exercise, where he'd sell enough of his shares to cover the cost of exercising and related taxes..."

Source

1 minute ago, GoSkinsGo said:

Him diverting the issue on selling the stock may be the best gas light of all time. He sold that stock to pay for taxes for meeting his contracted incentives.

He had the bill coming since he exercised his options and since he doesn't take a salary he had to pay a regular share of taxes.

Posting that twitter poll and convincing people he sold to help pay taxes is incredible and shows how little people understand the tax code, and it shows how convoluted the tax code is for super high net worth individuals. 

Tesla's Musk sells $930 mln in shares to cover stock option tax - filings

Nov 15 (Reuters) - Tesla (TSLA.O) CEO Elon Musk has sold $930 million in shares to meet tax withholding obligations related to the exercise of stock options, U.S. securities filings showed on Monday.

CNBC - Musk Stock

Musk sold about $6.9 billion worth of stock in the company over the course of the week. Some of the shares were sold in part to satisfy tax obligations related to an exercise of stock options.

Also, I think it's amazing how little people understand how someone like Musk and Bezos actually operate from a day to day standpoint of money. They don't have to pay taxes on income as they pledge shares of equity to borrow money. Per the below. 

"In the company's latest financial report, Tesla revealed Musk had already used 92.3 million shares as collateral to fund personal debt. If Musk didn't want to go further into debt, he could consider a cashless exercise, where he'd sell enough of his shares to cover the cost of exercising and related taxes..."

Source

yes, I’m aware. He was forced to sell stock or loose their value. I suppose he could have chose not to sell them and just let the stock option expire. But he sold them and now has income that is taxed. He still paid taxes. 

15 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

yes, I’m aware. He was forced to sell stock or loose their value. I suppose he could have chose not to sell them and just let the stock option expire. But he sold them and now has income that is taxed. He still paid taxes. 

He did pay his taxes, instead of foregoing income.  I've seen to many people not understand the entirety of the process and weirdly celebrating him for paying taxes. It just blows my mind. 

This is awesome, do it Gordon...

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-bezos-un-world-hunger-starvation-billion-donation-2021-11?utm_source=reddit.com

Elon Musk recently dared the UN to show him how $6 billion of his wealth could address world hunger. On Monday, the UN got back to him with a plan.

The UN's food-assistance branch, the World Food Programme, laid out how it believed $6.6 billion in funding could prevent 42 million people across 43 countries from starving in 2022. The head of the WFP, David Beasley, called out Musk, the world's richest person by far, in a tweet announcing the proposal.

"This hunger crisis is urgent, unprecedented, AND avoidable. @elonmusk, you asked for a clear plan & open books. Here it is!" Beasley said. "We're ready to talk with you - and anyone else - who is serious about saving lives."

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I believe Elon would definitely do it if it solved world hunger.

Only if he could figure out a way to turn it into a marketing stunt to sell some new technology that he may or may not actually develop. Musk is a vaporware huckster for the most part.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GoSkinsGo said:

He did pay his taxes, instead of foregoing income.  I've seen to many people not understand the entirety of the process and weirdly celebrating him for paying taxes. It just blows my mind. 

Elon has the most annoying fanboys. He could **** a pig like in black mirror (or whatever that terribly overrated show is) and they would celebrate it and call him a genius for doing it. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Only if he could figure out a way to turn it into a marketing stunt to sell some new technology that he may or may not actually develop.

it would be a marketing stunt. He doesn’t have to figure anything.  

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Musk is a vaporware huckster for the most part.

Lol. Pathetic.

In what way? The fact that he created and delivered the first mass market EV (model 3)? The fact that his company was solely responsible for creating the first cross country charging infrastructure (super chargers network)? The fact that his company was the first to envision and demonstrate reusable rocket technology? The fact that is company was the first to commercial send US astronauts to orbit and to the ISS? the fact that his company is the only company currently certified for heavy lift US military satellites into orbit? Created a company capable of boring tunnels for mass transet at a fraction of the cost of other methods? That was successful enough to have a repeat customer? Created the first high-bandwidth satellite internet service provider?  How can you so myopic and small.

like what the **** are you even talking about?

Autopilot? Breaking news! They are making huge progress on that and my car can drive about 5-6 miles without intervention, up from 2-3 miles a few weeks ago before updates. That is huge progress for a camera only system.

13 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

it would be a marketing stunt. He doesn’t have to figure anything.  

Lol. Pathetic.

In what way? The fact that he created and delivered the first mass market EV (model 3)? The fact that his company was solely responsible for creating the first cross country charging infrastructure (super chargers network)? The fact that his company was the first to envision and demonstrate reusable rocket technology? The fact that is company was the first to commercial send US astronauts to orbit and to the ISS? the fact that his company is the only company currently certified for heavy lift US military satellites into orbit? Created a company capable of boring tunnels for mass transet at a fraction of the cost of other methods? That was successful enough to have a repeat customer? Created the first high-bandwidth satellite internet service provider?  How can you so myopic and small.

like what the **** are you even talking about?

Autopilot? Breaking news! They are making huge progress on that and my car can drive about 5-6 miles without intervention, up from 2-3 miles a few weeks ago before updates. That is huge progress for a camera only system.

The number of things he's pulled out of his ass and promised is hilariously long. He pumps up some technology to inflate stocks and get people to invest then rarely ever comes through.

Starlink is a joke and will never be what he says for multiple reasons (mostly cost, how communication and bandwidth works, and how satellites work). His tunnels and high speed trains did nothing and went nowhere except his pockets. He's been saying for about 15 years that we'll have self driving cars within the next year so he could keep up hype about it. He's pumped up various nonsense that goes nowhere, like the solar powered roof shingles that didn't work (and they knew didn't work).

He's a smart guy and I do like the way he thinks about problem solving as far as first principles. But at the end of the day he has 2 things that actually work; the rest of it is smoke and mirrors. He's a tech P.T. Barnum. He's a showman. He basically admitted as much in court earlier this year.

But I doubt any of that will matter to a fangirl.

Edited by mistertim

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

The number of things he's pulled out of his ass and promised is hilariously long. He pumps up some technology to inflate stocks and get people to invest then rarely ever comes through.

Starlink is a joke and will never be what he says for multiple reasons (mostly cost, how communication and bandwidth works, and how satellites work).

have you been following starlink? It already works. High speed low latency. This test was done about six months ago (and during that time he has launched many new satellites into orbit which given how starlink works, should increase its speed.

182CA864-8480-4DFB-8292-DD235F8D6172.thumb.png.419ab41942381388f8329739a1b55617.png

His tunnels and high speed trains did nothing and went nowhere except his pockets.

the Vegas tunnel works, they are expanding it, and based on its functionality they have multiple new orders for it. That is a success.

He's been saying for about 15 years that we'll have self driving cars within the next year so he could keep up hype about it.

he has always said subject to testing. People like to forget that part. Also, every autonomous vehicle software has said the same things and they are all still working on it.

He's pumped up various nonsense that goes nowhere, like the solar powered roof shingles that didn't work (and they knew didn't work).

solar shingles do work and are a thing. What are you talking about? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleantechnica.com/2021/07/15/installing-a-tesla-solar-roof-review-by-the-american-contractor-show/amp/

7 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

have you been following starlink? It already works. High speed low latency. This test was done about six months ago (and during that time he has launched many new satellites into orbit which given how starlink works, should increase its speed.

182CA864-8480-4DFB-8292-DD235F8D6172.thumb.png.419ab41942381388f8329739a1b55617.png

the Vegas tunnel works, they are expanding it, and based on its functionality they have multiple new orders for it. That is a success.

he has always said subject to testing. People like to forget that part. Also, every autonomous vehicle software has said the same things and they are all still working on it.

solar shingles do work and are a thing. What are you talking about? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cleantechnica.com/2021/07/15/installing-a-tesla-solar-roof-review-by-the-american-contractor-show/amp/

Yes and I can make barbed wire high bandwidth and low latency in a lab. Starlink isn't practical as a widespread high bandwidth low latency solution due to the sheer number of satellites it would need to continually keep enough of them over the target area and the cost of not just the satellite hardware but of getting them there. It's just plain old physics.

For the other stuff it's basically the same. You're citing corner cases and single proof of concept/MVP setups. There's a huge difference between that and having something like it be viable as a large scale solution.

And the self driving car thing is just nonsense. He's been saying the same stuff for over a decade. It means he either doesn't understand what it takes to truly make a car autonomous (spoiler alert: it's a ****ing crapload) or he does realize it and was just lying about it to pump up stocks and keep up hype. Neither one is a good look.

Edited by mistertim

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I get the hate for some of aspects of Musk, but the direction he has moved the entire auto industry and his success with spaceX are pretty amazing. So what if other things are a failure. 

I don't really "hate" him. As I mentioned I do really like the way he thinks about problems and engineering. But at the same time I dislike it when people essentially sell vaporware. I get the showman aspect of it and that's part of being an entrepreneur, but the way he goes about some of it irks me. So I have a bit of a love/hate relationship when it comes to Musk in general.

• Like 1