Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Emerging Technologies....They Might Have Cured Cancer….Also Leaf Blower Silencers!

PleaseBlitz

I've been driving my whole life, and am the de facto family driver on trips both long and short.  I am so used to being behind the wheel that I usually get a bit antsy on the occasion where someone else is driving and I'm in the passenger seat. So I couldn't fathom using a self driving system in a car. I would be so anxious it would negate any benefit of having the technology. 

I'm approaching old-man-yells-at-cloud territory here, but is there really a widespread demand for that technology?  Maybe it's part of a future with generations of people who've grown up with it. 

Edited by Dan T.

15 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I've been driving my whole life, and am the de facto family driver on trips both long and short.  I am so used to being behind the wheel that I usually get a bit antsy on the occasion where someone else is driving and I'm in the passenger seat. So I couldn't fathom using a self driving system in a car. I would be so anxious it would negate any benefit of having the technology. 

I'm approaching old-man-yells-at-cloud territory here, but is there really a widespread demand for that technology?  Maybe it's part of a future with generations of people who've grown up with it. 

I'm with you. Until there are no accidents reported because of self driving technology, I'm out. 

I want the flying car that folds up into a briefcase like George Jetson's car.

• Haha 3

Just now, LadySkinsFan said:

I'm with you. Until there are no accidents reported because of self driving technology, I'm out. 

what about just “50 percent fewer accidents than we have statistically seen when humans drive”? No accidents is probably an impossible and impractical standard.

Just now, LadySkinsFan said:

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

I'm approaching old-man-yells-at-cloud territory here, but is there really a widespread demand for that technology?  Maybe it's part of a future with generations of people who've grown up with it

In its current state - I imagine not outside of of people that want to try new things. 

but the end state of autonomous vehicles (meaning they operate solely on their own, and are reliable enough you don’t even have a person to watch over it, maybe even have cars with no steering wheel and pedals such that it’s impossible for a person to drive it at all) has potentially huge demand. It’s where we are headed in my opinion.  

for an average person the % they use their car vs the % the car sits completely unused is way out of whack. Even if you drive an an hour to work, for every day of 2 hours driving the car sits for 8 hours completely unused. Sleeping? Car unused. Think about the rest of the day. 

all those hours your car is unused, are hours someone else could be using it. 

I see a day where the norm is (just the norm - not everyone in every situation) people are part of a car sharing program where they are guaranteed access to certain classes of cars, certain times of day, with certain rules about how far ahead you have to schedule, etc etc etc. use your imagination on how different tiers of subscriptions would grant you certain abilities. 

and that’s how you get around. It’s Uber without the driver and without the per trip charge. 

There are a lot of people that could live that way and save on insurance and car payments. And/or have access to a better car than they otherwise could (if they wanted that.)

The potential benefits are huge. It could be a massive shock to our economy. It could go on the list of huge chances like the internet, or plastics. 

I don’t see a lot of people clamoring for autonomous cars at the moment but I do think there’s a lot of people that see the potential future I outlined, and are trying to be part of getting us there (even if just for profiting reasons)

Traffic. Accidents/deaths. DUI. Maybe emissions. Personal finance. Ability to do things while driving you can’t now - and what that means (what if you could work on your hour ride into the office and hour ride back? How does that change your life?)

lots of potential. And I’m sure tons of things I can’t even think of, but will come about when a large group of people start being able to utilize such an idea. 

• Like 1

If I could get a car to pick me up and take me anywhere with a 15 minute heads up, then I wouldn’t drive my truck everywhere unless what I was doing required a truck. 

right now it doesn’t make sense to buy another vehicle for those purposes. 

But if it was cheap enough I might be able to justify it. 

and if the car I’m ‘renting’ for that is electric then the carbon footprint of my every day life of errands and work a d basic moving about in society just shrunk quite a bit going from a 5.7 liter v8 to an electric vehicle. 

and it’s possible the monthly cost of the service compared to the price of gas could make it an easy personal decision, and environmental impact is just a nice bonus. 

Or - another idea. 
a two income family can have one care. Person 1 gets up and goes to work, and car drives back home. Person 2 then goes to work. Car… goes wherever. But is there to pick up person 1 and bring them home, same as person 2. Now you’ve got 1 car you pay for and still the same usability. 

obviously your schedules would have to work. And obviously there is more to life a d owning vehicles than just getting to and from work. 

but the possibilities are endless. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Or - another idea. 
a two income family can have one care. Person 1 gets up and goes to work, and car drives back home. Person 2 then goes to work. Car… goes wherever. But is there to pick up person 1 and bring them home, same as person 2. Now you’ve got 1 car you pay for and still the same usability. 

obviously your schedules would have to work. And obviously there is more to life a d owning vehicles than just getting to and from work. 

but the possibilities are endless. 

Buy a car.  Take it to work.  Let it make Uber runs throughout the day.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 4:48 PM, Springfield said:

I don’t really trust Tesla’s. For minor things it’s fine, but for actual full self driving it’s not really there. Without LiDAR I don’t know how it can be what they want. Tesla just took away sonar in favor of stereoscopic cameras and software. I just don’t see Tesla doing it without more sophisticated equipment.

I don’t think LiDAR is necessary. Better software and code. Needs more time and data to process.

i have yet to have any problems with autopilot. Understanding it’s limitations and setting expectations is probably why tho. Some people expect it to wipe your ass.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Trust is the problem, because like you Id suffer from great anxiety if I tried it in its current form.  I drive if I’m in the car, on almost every occasion, and so I’m used to being in control.  The level of trust required for me to surrender that control is significant.  

I’d like a car that could drive itself though.  I’m not just talking about when I’m in it either.  Imagine being able to send a car to pick your wife up without you even needing to be in it?  Imagine being able to summon it to your location whenever you need it.  It sounds crazy, but many couples would be able to downsize to one car if it could do that.  Drunk driving would mostly vanish once all cars could do this, too.

It would just need to be incredibly reliable for me to trust it.  

8 hours ago, Destino said:

Trust is the problem, because like you Id suffer from great anxiety if I tried it in its current form.  I drive if I’m in the car, on almost every occasion, and so I’m used to being in control.  The level of trust required for me to surrender that control is significant.  

I’d like a car that could drive itself though.  I’m not just talking about when I’m in it either.  Imagine being able to send a car to pick your wife up without you even needing to be in it?  Imagine being able to summon it to your location whenever you need it.  It sounds crazy, but many couples would be able to downsize to one car if it could do that.  Drunk driving would mostly vanish once all cars could do this, too.

It would just need to be incredibly reliable for me to trust it.  

Going into the city and need to find parking?  Not anymore.  The car drops you off and then heads off on its merry way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Going into the city and need to find parking?  Not anymore.  The car drops you off and then heads off on its merry way.

that would open up the roads to be more bicycle friendly too. I could see a subscription service being started like an Uber on demand for people to be able to summon cars whenever they need them

Elon Musk says ‘civilization is going to crumble’ if people don’t have more children

Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk wants people to have more babies.

“There are not enough people,” Musk told a Wall Street Journal event Monday. “I can’t emphasize this enough, there are not enough people,” he said.

The tech billionaire said low and rapidly declining birth rates are “one of the biggest risks to civilization.”

His comments come as a growing number of people are deciding not to have children, citing concerns such as climate change and inequality.

Musk added that too many “good, smart people” think there are too many people in the world and that the population is growing out of control.

“It’s completely the opposite,” Musk said, urging people to look at the data. “If people don’t have more children, civilization is going to crumble. Mark my words.”

When asked if this is why he has so many children, the father of six said he’s trying to set a good example, adding that he has to practice what he preaches.

Analysts at Morgan Stanley said in a note to investors in July that the “movement to not have children owing to fears over climate change is growing and impacting fertility rates quicker than any preceding trend in the field of fertility decline.”

To support their argument, they pointed to surveys, academic research and Google data that shows climate change is directly and indirectly accelerating the decline in fertility rates. 

UCLA researchers have shown that the number of births in the U.S. fell in the nine months following an extreme heat event, while a study of 18,000 couples in China last year showed that climate change, and particulate pollution specifically, was associated with a 20% increased likelihood of infertility.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 1

18 hours ago, China said:

Elon Musk says ‘civilization is going to crumble’ if people don’t have more children

Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk wants people to have more babies.

“There are not enough people,” Musk told a Wall Street Journal event Monday. “I can’t emphasize this enough, there are not enough people,” he said.

The tech billionaire said low and rapidly declining birth rates are “one of the biggest risks to civilization.”

His comments come as a growing number of people are deciding not to have children, citing concerns such as climate change and inequality.

Musk added that too many “good, smart people” think there are too many people in the world and that the population is growing out of control.

“It’s completely the opposite,” Musk said, urging people to look at the data. “If people don’t have more children, civilization is going to crumble. Mark my words.”

When asked if this is why he has so many children, the father of six said he’s trying to set a good example, adding that he has to practice what he preaches.

Analysts at Morgan Stanley said in a note to investors in July that the “movement to not have children owing to fears over climate change is growing and impacting fertility rates quicker than any preceding trend in the field of fertility decline.”

To support their argument, they pointed to surveys, academic research and Google data that shows climate change is directly and indirectly accelerating the decline in fertility rates. 

UCLA researchers have shown that the number of births in the U.S. fell in the nine months following an extreme heat event, while a study of 18,000 couples in China last year showed that climate change, and particulate pollution specifically, was associated with a 20% increased likelihood of infertility.

Click on the link for the full article

Lots of people are having kids.  

Just not the right types of people (according to some) 

On 12/3/2021 at 2:14 PM, Ball Security said:

Buy a car.  Take it to work.  Let it make Uber runs throughout the day.

At that point you get to the "why buy a car" territory.  Just Uber everywhere

1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'I do not get why people hero-worship Elon Musk. He's lobbying other CEOs to torpedo the Build Back Better plan, treats his employees badly, lobbies against billionaires paying their fair share in taxes, prioritizes style over safety, and currently has ZERO affordable EVs on the market. The guy is a vain douchebag. SARAH LANE'

A lot of bull**** in that statement.

What is the definition of “affordable”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/534027/electric-car-prices-us-20210918/amp/

Tesla makes cars that fall into the bottom third of of EV costs, and that is after you factor in that they no longer qualify for tax credits while someone do. That’s right, that article subtracts the $7500 tax credit you can get on a Honda for example, but not for Tesla since they sold all of their incentive eligible cars. If you factor than in, Tesla makes the most affordable EVs on the planet.

Here is what he actually said about bbb, after everyone complaining about Tesla taking advantage of subsides.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2021/12/07/elon-musk-senate-not-pass-build-back-better-act-tesla-doesnt-need/amp/

Paraphrasing:

Don’t pass, I don’t need it, we can do it on the our own now, we do need to improve infrastructure, but let’s spend the money smart so we don’t increase the debt. Sounds reasonable to me.

Lastly, Tesla cars are some of the safest on the road, so I’m not even sure what she is talking about with regards to the safety vs style thing.  

14 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Here is what he actually said about bbb, after everyone complaining about Tesla taking advantage of subsides.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2021/12/07/elon-musk-senate-not-pass-build-back-better-act-tesla-doesnt-need/amp/

Paraphrasing:

Don’t pass, I don’t need it, we can do it on the our own now, we do need to improve infrastructure, but let’s spend the money smart so we don’t increase the debt. Sounds reasonable to me.

I think this is a pretty funny statement to make. Considering how much money Musk has captures from the government among his separate ventures.  

I don't have any issue with the government providing subsidies to emerging industries or to help steer industry to beneficial outcomes that need short term support to provide stability. I do have an issue with someone stating that subsidies are bad because they don't need them, when they have been a major beneficiary of them over time. 

Elon Musk’s growing empire is fueled by $4.9 billion in government subsidies

Tesla Motors Inc., SolarCity Corp. and Space Exploration Technologies Corp., known as SpaceX, together have benefited from an estimated $4.9 billion in government support, according to data compiled by The Times. The figure underscores a common theme running through his emerging empire: a public-private financing model underpinning long-shot start-ups.