Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Emerging Technologies....They Might Have Cured Cancer….Also Leaf Blower Silencers!

PleaseBlitz

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yes and I can make barbed wire high bandwidth and low latency in a lab. Starlink isn't practical as a widespread high bandwidth low latency solution due to the sheer number of satellites it would need to continually keep enough of them over the target area and the cost of not just the satellite hardware but of getting them there. It's just plain old physics.

that test came from people actually using it in the field. Not in a lab. Maybe reup your physics? There are numerous reviews saying it works. Google it.

For the other stuff it's basically the same. You're citing corner cases and single proof of concept/MVP setups. There's a huge difference between that and having something like it be viable as a large scale solution

no I’m not. There are countless solar roof installs. All you have to do is pull your head out of the sand and look.

And the self driving car thing is just nonsense. He's been saying the same stuff for over a decade. It means he either doesn't understand what it takes to truly make a car autonomous (spoiler alert: it's a ****ing crapload) or he does realize it and was just lying about it to pump up stocks and keep up hype. Neither one is a good look.

I’m currently using full self driving in my car.  Its pretty good and improving. 

your acting like a trumpet. All the facts in the world and you refuse to listen, look them up, or blow them off.

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

that test came from people actually using it in the field. Not in a lab. Maybe reup your physics? There are numerous reviews saying it works. Google it.

no I’m not. There are countless solar roof installs. All you have to do is pull your head out of the sand and look.

I’m currently using full self driving in my car.  Its pretty good and improving. 

your acting like a trumpet. All the facts in the world and you refuse to listen, look them up, or blow them off.

Again, it's a tiny number. It's corner cases. Its easy to make something high bandwidth low latency when you have a very small number of users testing it. And the physics is the physics. It's simple line of sight. In order to keep up the bandwidth you'd have to have enough satellites in orbit to have x number over the continental US at all times in order to provide y amount of bandwidth. For the amount of bandwidth he's promising it would be an absurdly large number.

His solar roof tiles are now widespread commercial successes? Is that why he was sued over it?

So you hop in your car and tell it where to go and don't do anything? Of course not. But that's what he's been promising for over a decade. Again, he either doesn't understand what it takes to make a truly autonomous vehicle or he's just been lying. He's a smart guy so I'm guessing it's the latter.

Edited by mistertim

39 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I get the hate for some of aspects of Musk, but the direction he has moved the entire auto industry and his success with spaceX are pretty amazing. So what if other things are a failure. 

the results of tesla being a success (pushing our EV future timeline way up) is extremely important. however, tesla is only still in business because of extraordinary subsidies (federal & from the state he's fleeing) that allowed him to poach some of the best engineers in the world (not to mention a factory that was basically given to him), and even then they were a week away from going out of business. so i wouldn't say it was because of musk (for the most part) that EVs are having the success they are now

Edited by mammajamma

25 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Again, it's a tiny number. It's corner cases. Its easy to make something high bandwidth low latency when you have a very small number of users testing it. And the physics is the physics. It's simple line of sight. In order to keep up the bandwidth you'd have to have enough satellites in orbit to have x number over the continental US at all times in order to provide y amount of bandwidth. For the amount of bandwidth he's promising it would be an absurdly large number.

There are currently 66,000 starlink subscribers now, and it’s still in beta. Starling currently has about 2000 of them in orbit and has already gotten approval to increase that number to 44,000. They can launch about 60 per launch and once starship is finished they will be about deploy 400 per launch. Hardly impossible.

His solar roof tiles are now widespread commercial successes? Is that why he was sued over it?

yes, they are a commercial success. Widespread is funny, because they are expensive and designed for a niche market.

People can sue over anything.

So you hop in your car and tell it where to go and don't do anything? Of course not.

Yes, that’s how it works. As long as the road is well marked and there are stop lights. If it’s not that right now it is a bit iffy but they are working on it and making noticeable improvements.

But that's what he's been promising for over a decade. Again, he either doesn't understand what it takes to make a truly autonomous vehicle

can you point me to a company working on it that does have a widespread autonomous vehicle capable of driving anywhere? 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

26 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

extraordinary subsidies (federal & from the state he's fleeing) that allowed him to poach some of the best engineers in the world (not to mention a factory that was basically given to him), and even then they were a week away from going out of business.

why didn’t you run Tesla then? If it was as simple as collecting subsidies then anyone could have done it? Why does falcon super heavy work while Boeing’s crap doesn’t? Why was space x the first commercial company to send American astronauts into space. It wasn’t the subsides. Boeing gets hugely more subsides for the same exact deliverables as space x but doesn’t deliver.

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

why didn’t you run Tesla then? If it was as simple as collecting subsidies then anyone could have done it? Why does falcon super heavy work while Boeing’s crap doesn’t? Why was space x the first commercial company to send American astronauts into space. It wasn’t the subsides. Boeing gets hugely more subsides for the same exact deliverables as space x but doesn’t deliver.

You think Elon designed the spaceships himself? As I stated before, he was able to hire some of the best engineers in the world (thanks to subsidies, and a PayPal buyout that had little to do with his input). Yes, he deserves credit for having the intelligence to hire the right people and the credit to keep going even when they were 1 week away from closing (Tesla), or one more failed launch from going out of business (SpaceX). But both companies would be out of business a long time ago if it weren't for a ton of government help

1 minute ago, mammajamma said:

You think Elon designed the spaceships himself?

no, but all else being equal, and in some cases else being unequal, Elon’s companies continuously outperform. Elon is the difference.

As I stated before, he was able to hire some of the best engineers in the world (thanks to subsidies,

and Boeing can’t? Lol…

Yes, he deserves credit for having the intelligence to hire the right people and the credit to keep going even when they were 1 week away from closing (Tesla),

So it was him then, and not the subsidies that determined the success of Tesla. 👍 on the same page.

or one more failed launch from going out of business (SpaceX).

space x was never one failed launch away from being out of business…

9 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

So it was him then, and not the subsidies that determined the success of Tesla. 👍 on the same page.

space x was never one failed launch away from being out of business…

huh? you can have intelligence to hire people, but without money and a free factory, it makes no difference

yes they were. this is well documented

For 130K, I would hope it's miles better than Tesla 3.

For those in the know, what would be the best driver assist car now or coming out in a year or two?  Is it Tesla's FSD?  Someone else?  Thinking about getting a full EV car with a good autonomous driving feature that covers stop and go city traffic all the way to highway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

For 130K, I would hope it's miles better than Tesla 3.

For those in the know, what would be the best driver assist car now or coming out in a year or two?  Is it Tesla's FSD?  Someone else?  Thinking about getting a full EV car with a good autonomous driving feature that covers stop and go city traffic all the way to highway.

I don’t really trust Tesla’s. For minor things it’s fine, but for actual full self driving it’s not really there. Without LiDAR I don’t know how it can be what they want. Tesla just took away sonar in favor of stereoscopic cameras and software. I just don’t see Tesla doing it without more sophisticated equipment.

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I don’t really trust Tesla’s. For minor things it’s fine, but for actual full self driving it’s not really there. Without LiDAR I don’t know how it can be what they want. Tesla just took away sonar in favor of stereoscopic cameras and software. I just don’t see Tesla doing it without more sophisticated equipment.

Yeah that was definitely one of my concerns about Tesla FSD.  I'd think LiDAR combined with vision would be better, but I guess that's too expensive?  

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Samsung makes a phone that is “technically” better than an Apple. If the execution sucks then the Mercedes electric will fail in the same way Ford’s has failed.

“If a product sucks, it will fail” is a truly bold statement.

Anyhoo, Tesla ranked 31st out of 34 auto brands in quality/durability in 2020 and didn’t post its first-ever profitable quarter until July of this year.

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

I don't have lidar, but I drive pretty well with my stereoscopic vision.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

Do you have a Tesla and access to the beta?

Beta 10.5 is pretty good. Just released this update. I would say this is a pretty big jump from 10.4, though I have only driven about 5 miles on it, so my sample size is small.

FSD is ahead of anything available now, except waymo which only operates in small areas and isn’t available for purchase by the end consumer. I can’t speak to the future though.

Lidar is only good if you can fully integrate it into visual cameras. If not it becomes a hindrance. When Tesla switched my autopilot from radar plus cameras to cameras only I didn’t notice a difference in performance.

If lidar was a pancea someone would have developed fsd by now. Lidar is just another way to perceive. There isn’t any evidence that Tesla’s problem is perception. The issue is being able to recognize what you are perceiving and make the correct choice based on the recognition. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Anyhoo, Tesla ranked 31st out of 34 auto brands in quality/durability in 2020 and didn’t post its first-ever profitable quarter until July of this year

2013 you mean?

https://www.cnet.com/news/tesla-hits-first-profitable-quarter-ever/

7 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

i would hope that a car that costs several thousands of dollars more than a model s plaid, but only 60 miles less range and lacks the supercharger network has something going for it. No doubt about it Mercedes makes nice high end cars. They they really aren’t competing with Tesla, who gets most of its car-business revenue from the model y and model 3.

8 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

2013 you mean?

https://www.cnet.com/news/tesla-hits-first-profitable-quarter-ever/

i would hope that a car that costs several thousands of dollars more than a model s plaid, but only 60 miles less range and lacks the supercharger network has something going for it. No doubt about it Mercedes makes nice high end cars. They they really aren’t competing with Tesla, who gets most of its car-business revenue from the model y and model 3.

No, I mean real profits…in 2021.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/26/22594778/tesla-q2-2021-earnings-revenue-profit-credits-emissions-bitcoin

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Profit is profit. Emissions credits are an important part of their business because it is the only way companies like Ford and GM can sell cars in California… and if you are going to misrepresent facts maybe include a link to what you are talking about.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Do you have a Tesla and access to the beta?

Beta 10.5 is pretty good. Just released this update. I would say this is a pretty big jump from 10.4, though I have only driven about 5 miles on it, so my sample size is small.

FSD is ahead of anything available now, except waymo which only operates in small areas and isn’t available for purchase by the end consumer. I can’t speak to the future though.

Lidar is only good if you can fully integrate it into visual cameras. If not it becomes a hindrance. When Tesla switched my autopilot from radar plus cameras to cameras only I didn’t notice a difference in performance.

If lidar was a pancea someone would have developed fsd by now. Lidar is just another way to perceive. There isn’t any evidence that Tesla’s problem is perception. The issue is being able to recognize what you are perceiving and make the correct choice based on the recognition. 

I don’t have FSD, I doubt I’d really ever use it. I had a 3 month trial in the beginning of 2021 and barely even touched the FSD. When I did it was finicky, similar to how I hear people talk about the beta. I like autopilot well enough to not want to shell 10k for FSD.

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I don’t have FSD, I doubt I’d really ever use it. I had a 3 month trial in the beginning of 2021 and barely even touched the FSD. When I did it was finicky, similar to how I hear people talk about the beta. I like autopilot well enough to not want to shell 10k for FSD.

I don’t think it’s worth 10K either. But I still wanted it and it happy I have it. I think the beta is improving. If someone asks me is FSD is worth it I will ask them how much a dream is worth.

Like I said 10.1-10.4 seemed to be incrementally better, small improvements. 10.5 seems to be quite a jump. We will see.

Even with the improvements I still would say if you are debating between a trim level and fsd, go for the trim level. Everyone is different though. I would rather have access to the bleeding edge updates instead of a faster car so it is worth it to me, but it’s more of an ego/feeling thing than usefulness.

• 2 weeks later...