Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Emerging Technologies....They Might Have Cured Cancer….Also Leaf Blower Silencers!

PleaseBlitz

The domes on the surface vision of the future is probably bull****.  If men go to mars they’ll live in tunnels like ants.  Anyone remember that Bruce Willis movie Armageddon where they send blue collar drillers into space?  I bet Musk has seen that movie, and I bet I know what phase one of his plan will be.

21 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Dude is kind of a living, breathing PR nightmare anyway. 

It's pretty much what I'd expect when we're running an experiment where we take a genius (which can cause isolation from the rest of humanity in itself), put him on the autism spectrum, make him the world's richest man, and then expose him to constant and highly public social interactions.

I think Hughes had the right idea with the recluse thing...

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Destino said:

The domes on the surface vision of the future is probably bull****.  If men go to mars they’ll live in tunnels like ants.  Anyone remember that Bruce Willis movie Armageddon where they send blue collar drillers into space?  I bet Musk has seen that movie, and I bet I know what phase one of his plan will be.

His plan is to launch a lot of starships and live in them. 

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

It’s expensive to move to Mars.

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

He is seriously considering that possibility. He is more excited about sending other people on a one way trip though.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/04/27/tech/elon-musk-spacex-mars-danger-scn/index.html

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them
If you did

https://www.teslarati.com/elon-musk-taxes-fossil-fuel-subsidies/

The Environmental and Energy Study Institute estimates direct subsidies to the fossil fuel industry in the US amount to $20bn per year.

The US government takes money from the person who heads the electric car company and spends it on fossil fuel support.🤦@elonmusk@SenWarrenpic.twitter.com/goe24HW

No wonder Elon things he can spend his money better than the US government.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

29 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

https://www.teslarati.com/elon-musk-taxes-fossil-fuel-subsidies/

The Environmental and Energy Study Institute estimates direct subsidies to the fossil fuel industry in the US amount to $20bn per year.

The US government takes money from the person who heads the electric car company and spends it on fossil fuel support.🤦@elonmusk@SenWarrenpic.twitter.com/goe24HW

No wonder Elon things he can spend his money better than the US government.

I'm sure Warren supports subsidies for the fossil fuel industry. 

19 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Gas Tax revenue for 2019 was roughly $53B.  Pretty solid investment, I think.

Having a bunch of gas guzzling polluting cars driving all over costs us way more that 53 billion. 

Think about all of the geopolitical and strategic costs of our dependence on oil and gas along. 

Many states are recouping the loss of a gas tax with a road usage fee for EVs; namely Virginia.

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Having a bunch of gas guzzling polluting cars driving all over costs us way more that 53 billion. 

Think about all of the geopolitical and strategic costs of our dependence on oil and gas along. 

61% of US electricity is from fossil fuels, but the revenue generated does help the US subsidize profoundly unprofitable electric car startups.

• Haha 2

One of the many issues with EV adoption is the initial purchase price. For a lot of people dropping 51k on a mid-size sedan is not doable, and the only way the tax incentive works if the person buying the car understands tax management to fully take advantage of it. Based on what I see, that's a very small portion of this country. 

According to Kelley Blue Book, the average transaction price for an electric vehicle in April 2021 was $51,532. That's more than $11,000 higher than what you'd pay at the dealership for a full-size gas-powered car, and nearly $30,000 more than the average compact car

The ability for the majority of people to actually benefit would need to be able to charge at home. While right to charge laws are in place it doesn't mean that it is doable for a large portion of people. If you live in an apartment complex, condo, row homes or townhomes without a garage running a charger to the car is damn near impossible. Beyond the above, the charging infrastructure is spotty at best.

23 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Many states are recouping the loss of a gas tax with a road usage fee for EVs; namely Virginia.

They have to recoup it somehow. Gas taxes pay for many things including road maintenance. A usage fee makes the most sense to pay for upkeep and expansion, hell I'd be happy if they took all of the taxes they collect from Musk and put them directly into the highway trust fund. 

The VA gas tax is 26.2 cents a gallon and the federal tax is 18.4 cents per gallon, you will have to offset that revenue loss somehow as people transition to EV. Th

The average price of an EV is so high because There are a lot of 130k+ EVs which skews the average.

However the model 3 is very affordable and there are several cars available for less. A base model 3 is around 40k(Tesla already used up all of its rebates)

There are several options in the 30K range that still qualify for the rebate.

Not to mention used options (although unless it’s several years old a used Tesla might cost just as much as new Tesla does)..

• Like 1

i'm curious how that average is calculated.

there are plenty of very expensive EV's that are marketed towards niche/wealthy people, and that's far different than the ones targeted for the norm.

are they calculating the fully decked our rivians that were purchased? the ones with the full roll out kitchen?

or are we talking budget teslas, leafs, prius, and volts...

1 hour ago, GoSkinsGo said:

The VA gas tax is 26.2 cents a gallon and the federal tax is 18.4 cents per gallon, you will have to offset that revenue loss somehow as people transition to EV. Th

well the original plan in VA was to drop the gas tax and replace it with something else. but, some people don't seem to get it.

it's a dumb tax. between gas prices fluctuating and EV's taking over, it makes way more sense to replace it with something stable and predictable.

the problem is the word tax elicits a pre-programmed response from a lot of people. had to get any movement with discussions about, you know, actually planning and managing services and an entire state moving forward, when a solid % of people's brains shut off as soon as they hear the word 'tax' and just say no to everything.

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

So what?

I think the point is you've made an argument using numbers you don't know/understand.

or, if you do know/understand, then you intentionally made a bad argument.

either way i believe that was the point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

the problem is the word tax elicits a pre-programmed response from a lot of people. had to get any movement with discussions about, you know, actually planning and managing services and an entire state moving forward, when a solid % of people's brains shut off as soon as they hear the word 'tax' and just say no to everything.

I 100% agree with this. The disconnect between services and funding services, a how that money is collected to provide the services is a major issue. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

I think the point is you've made an argument using numbers you don't know/understand.

or, if you do know/understand, then you intentionally made a bad argument.

either way i believe that was the point.

This is a lot of words to say nothing. You are really good at that. Or maybe just trolling for likes from people who are just scrolling.

power companies don’t generate any tax revenue directly. I guess he is arguing that since electricity comes from fossil fuels EVs are dirty. Tucker would be proud of that argument. 

We should subsidize things we want, not things we don’t want. You are going to have to be more specific with what numbers you think I don’t know.

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

i'm curious how that average is calculated.

I forgot to include the link to the article MONEY: The Push for Electric Vehicles Could Affect How Much Your Next Car Costs

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

there are plenty of very expensive EV's that are marketed towards niche/wealthy people, and that's far different than the ones targeted for the norm.

are they calculating the fully decked our rivians that were purchased? the ones with the full roll out kitchen?

or are we talking budget teslas, leafs, prius, and volts...

EDMUNDS : Most Affordable EVs for 2022

Cheapest EV: Nissan Leaf / $28,375 / 149 mile range

Cheapest 200 Mile EV: 2022 Chevy Bolt / $31,995 / 259 mile range

From a cost / usage standpoint the lower priced EVs have very limited appeal.