Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

tell me more about that glass

It's a gift from Mrs. Skinsfan. 

I drink whiskey neat, except for cask strength.  When I do use ice, it's those large spheres, so it melts slowly.  The glass works really well. The ice melts at a perfect rate...not too fast...not too slow and the flavors evolve nicely as it does so.

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Yup! That's the one.

Cognac sales jump 31%, thanks to the US and China

Cognac sales surged by nearly a third last year as American and Chinese drinkers guzzled old vintages, in the latest sign premium drink makers are putting the pandemic behind them.

Sales of the brandy, produced in the Cognac region of France, rose by almost 31% in value to 3.6 billion euros ($4.1 billion), industry group BNIC said Monday.

Volumes were up 16% to 223.2 million bottles.

"This growth reflects a real recovery of cognac, as well as new consumption habits," BNIC said in a statement, noting sales had also risen compared with 2019, before the pandemic struck.

Click on the link for the full article

• 3 weeks later...

Whiskey ditched: Western Montana bars completely out of Jameson Irish Whiskey

n a strange quirk of ongoing pandemic-related shortages, there has hardly been a bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey to be found at any bar in western Montana for nearly two months.

That’s according to multiple bar owners and liquor store managers.

Even in Butte, with its rich Irish history, the upcoming St. Patrick’s Day celebration will most likely not feature the coveted spirit.

“We only have two precious bottles left that we’ve been saving for St. Patrick’s Day,” said Lacey Clements, a bartender at Maloney’s, an Irish bar on Main Street. “It’ll be first-come, first-served. All of the liquor stores are out and they’ve told us any more bottles are still a month or so away.”

James “Pops” Jones, a co-owner of The Press Box bar and liquor store in Missoula, said he’s been out of Jameson for about a month and a half.

“We get all of our stuff from Grizzly Liquor, so whatever they’re out of we don’t get,” he said. “Grizzly Liquor gets their inventory from the state. I’ve heard there’s nothing coming in soon. There’s no light at the end of the tunnel. Some of the other bourbons have been out for six months.”

Jones has other Irish whiskeys like Tullamore D.E.W., but he usually sells about 10 12-bottle cases a month of Jameson.

“We usually go through a bottle of Jameson every other day, depending on the time of year,” Jones explained.

Adie Smith, a bartender at the Thomas Meagher Bar, an Irish pub in Missoula, said they’ve also been out of the original Jameson for over a month. They have plenty of the other Jameson products, like Black Barrel and an aged stout edition, so she said customers are being forced to try new flavors of the whiskey.

Still, she said, they get a request for the original almost every day.

Jackson Satt at Grizzly Liquor, a state-contracted liquor store in Missoula, said Jameson ran out before Christmas.

“We are one of two state stores in Missoula — the other is KrisCo Liquor,” he explained. “We get our inventory on a semi every week and it comes from the state warehouse. They don’t have an estimated date of when they would have Jameson.”

Click on the link for the full article

• 1 month later...

Can anyone give me a some good price/value bourbon suggestions in Virginia? (Would rather not trek out of state unless I have to).  Looking to spend 40-60ish a bottle.  Willing to go higher, but not looking to go past 100 (unless spectacular compared to sub 100 options).  I had some four rose in the past, which I liked.  Had some Buffalo Trace while traveling recently and liked it too, so want to expand my bourbon horizon (though I may have picked the worst time to do, lol)

2 hours ago, bearrock said:

Can anyone give me a some good price/value bourbon suggestions in Virginia? (Would rather not trek out of state unless I have to).  Looking to spend 40-60ish a bottle.  Willing to go higher, but not looking to go past 100 (unless spectacular compared to sub 100 options).  I had some four rose in the past, which I liked.  Had some Buffalo Trace while traveling recently and liked it too, so want to expand my bourbon horizon (though I may have picked the worst time to do, lol)

BT is pretty middle of the road and a very classic bourbon. I’d recommend before going up to the mid tier price point, sample some minis of cheaper ones (wild turkey, Jim bean, makers mark, etc). Stick them in a decanter and most people won’t know any better. ;) 

But I’ve got a personal list for the next tier up.  I’m going to stick with bourbons that are generally available at most ABC stores, and I’ll try to give a nice variety. I recommend trying Four Roses Single Barrel ($45, high rye mashbill), Old Forester 1910 ($55, “double oak” basically finished in an extra charred barrel), Wild Turkey Rare Breed (good value barrel proof to try), and Makers 46 (if you want to try a wheated bourbon). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheGoodBits said:

BT is pretty middle of the road and a very classic bourbon. I’d recommend before going up to the mid tier price point, sample some minis of cheaper ones (wild turkey, Jim bean, makers mark, etc). Stick them in a decanter and most people won’t know any better. ;)

Don't leave your alcohol sitting in a crystal decanter, though.  It'll leach lead into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, tshile said:

Snagged an Angel’s Envy cask strength at the morning drop at the local store :cheers:

Not a big fan of AE, but I'm intrigued by the CS.    

Please post your thoughts, after you've tried it.

Better yet, get Mrs. tshiles, thoughts😅*

*if memory serves, she certainly enjoyed the bourbon at the ES tailgate, some years ago...

5 hours ago, tshile said:

Yeah I’ll definitely get her thoughts. Should be by the end of the weekend. 

I said that I'm not a big fan, but I actually have 3 bottles. 😅

Two of them are from a barrel pick that I got to sample at a liquor store in  Palm Beach. I think that they weigh in at ~ 108 proof and it is excellent, which surprised me, because I'm not a big fan of finished whiskey. 

The other is the rye, which was finished in rum casks.  It is way too sweet and rum forward for me.  It makes for a good dessert pour, but I won't replace it when it's gone.

I

I’m just excited they changed it up so normal people that don’t want to get in line at 3 am and wait for the store to open at 11 am can snag a bottle of something here and there. 

othet than the Elmer t Lee 100 year tribute, and this, the nicest I get is just like a blantons 

my brother in law has about 25k worth of bourbon. Not kidding. Probably has 15 bottles of blantons alone and 8-10 of angels envy. I just don’t care enough to stand in line that long. And the bourbon scenes becomes so dumb you can’t even happen upon regular stuff anymore. God damn eagle rare is hard to find. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, tshile said:

I’m just excited they changed it up so normal people that don’t want to get in line at 3 am and wait for the store to open at 11 am can snag a bottle of something here and there. 

othet than the Elmer t Lee 100 year tribute, and this, the nicest I get is just like a blantons 

my brother in law has about 25k worth of bourbon. Not kidding. Probably has 15 bottles of blantons alone and 8-10 of angels envy. I just don’t care enough to stand in line that long. And the bourbon scenes becomes so dumb you can’t even happen upon regular stuff anymore. God damn eagle rare is hard to find. 

We have the same brother in law lol. Puts me on to all this stuff I love and can’t get because I refuse to sit in one of those lines smh. 

Anyway, wanted y’all to know I’m finally opening up a bottles of Bookers this weekend. Plan to do a double blind taste test and see what better between that and Wild Turkey Rare Breed cause I keep reading it’s better than everything and I am starting to believe it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tshile said:

Agreed and I believe it. These days, a $25K collection isn't at all unusual.

Whiskey has gotten ridiculous and the FOMO is downright silly.

Some "expert" states how great one is and, before you know it, the taters stand in line for hours clear the shelves, and flip it on the secondary market, making it hard to find, and the prices skyrocket. Stuff like Mckenna 10 year BiB,  Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Booker's,  etc. 

Those hoarders drive me nuts and they are a big part of the reason that stuff is hard to find.   I'd venture to say a lot of these folks don't know **** about whiskey and chase this stuff down because they read about it somewhere and it ruins it for everyone else.   

There is a lot of great, reasonably priced whiskey out there, and no reason to stand in line for hours to get it.   

I could go on and on, but I'll rein it in, and make a couple of recommendations, for very good whiskey,  that won't break the bank.

In no particular order:

Evan William's 1783  ~ $30 1.75l

Wild Turkey 101 ~$24

Wild Turkey 101 rye ~$24

Old Forester 100 ~ $24

Old Forester 100 rye ~$24

Old Grandad bottled in bond ~ $20

Old Grandad 114* under $30

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel proof under $70.00**

There are a lot more out there, but you get the idea. Pour some of these in a blind tasting,  and most taters couldn't tell the difference between the $20 bottle, and the $150.00 bottle.

*best bargain in barrel proofers out there.

** insanely good and makes Booker's its little ****.

8 hours ago, Llevron said:

We have the same brother in law lol. Puts me on to all this stuff I love and can’t get because I refuse to sit in one of those lines smh. 

Anyway, wanted y’all to know I’m finally opening up a bottles of Bookers this weekend. Plan to do a double blind taste test and see what better between that and Wild Turkey Rare Breed cause I keep reading it’s better than everything and I am starting to believe it. 

Those whiskeys are like night and day and you'll immediately know which is which. The Rare Breed is excellent,  but weighs in at ~ 116proof, while the Booker is typically much higher in proof and drinks noticeably hotter.

A better blind would be to pit Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof, because the ABV's are similar.  They can both benefit from a small splash, (or a little ice), to open them up, and tame the heat.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The words "Rocky Mountain Sunset" came up at work the other week, and I thought it sounded like a great name for a ****tail.  I've spent the past weekend coming up with something that would live up to the name.

Here's my current iteration:

RockyMountainSunset.jpg.9692691031f13d4f544ca177616ba75e.jpg

Served on the rocks in a highball glass

1 ounce grape juice

2 ounces Whiskey from the Rocky Mountain region (Stranahan or Breckenridge, maybe?  Currently using Tin Cup for experimentation purposes)

1 ounce Grand Marnier

4 ounces Orange Juice (layered on top, poured over the back of a spoon to avoid mixing too much)

1/4 ounce Grenadine

1 dash orange bitters

Garnish with a maraschino Cherry

Thoughts and suggestions for improvement welcome; I'm no mixologist.

Edited by PokerPacker