Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

3 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I finally checked out the store in DuPont tonight as I was walking by....holy ****balls, I was like a kid in Willy Wonka's factory with all the selection.

Are Prav's picks worth the extra money? I got some recommendations from him and ended up taking home some Weller Antique since I'm a big Buffalo Trace fan

It’s pretty much mostly what I drink now.  Being able to help pick makes it easier too.  Plus I think we all know how tight Skinsfan1311 is, and he buys a lot of these. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I finally checked out the store in DuPont tonight as I was walking by....holy ****balls, I was like a kid in Willy Wonka's factory with all the selection.

Are Prav's picks worth the extra money? I got some recommendations from him and ended up taking home some Weller Antique since I'm a big Buffalo Trace fan

I think of the Prav's picks as "special occasion" booze.  IMO, yes, they are worth the extra money.  

• Like 1

The obsession with crafting the best Old Fashioned possible continues. 

Today’s experiment involves sugar. I have, heretofore, been using simple syrup using plain white sugar as I tinkered with the bourbon, the bitters, the ice, the technique, the ratios and even the drinkware. 

Today the Amazon gods delivered me some demerara sugar. In theory it should add a little molasses note, but i did a 1:1 ratio today and it’s too watery. Gonna amp it up to a denser 2:1 ratio and see if that’s better. 

I highly recommend developing an obsession with one particular ****tail, it is remarkably rewarding is numerous ways. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The obsession with crafting the best Old Fashioned possible continues. 

Today’s experiment involves sugar. I have, heretofore, been using simple syrup using plain white sugar as I tinkered with the bourbon, the bitters, the ice, the technique, the ratios and even the drinkware. 

Today the Amazon gods delivered me some demerara sugar. In theory it should add a little molasses note, but i did a 1:1 ratio today and it’s too watery. Gonna amp it up to a denser 2:1 ratio and see if that’s better. 

I highly recommend developing an obsession with one particular ****tail, it is remarkably rewarding is numerous ways. 

Mrs. Skinsfan and I don't drink many ****tails but, when we do, it's usually an Old Fashioned.

Everyone seems to have their own version.

The only thing I change is the type whiskey and bitters.  The only thing that doesn't change is the use of a large cube and Luxardo cherries. If we don't have 'em, we don't make 'em.  

We do prefer them with rye.  Mrs. Skinsfan likes hers a tad sweeter,  so she gets two cherries and a generous bar spoon of Luxardo cherry juice in hers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Mrs. Skinsfan and I don't drink many ****tails but, when we do, it's usually an Old Fashioned.

Everyone seems to have their own version.

The only thing I change is the type whiskey and bitters.  The only thing that doesn't change is the use of a large cube and Luxardo cherries. If we don't have 'em, we don't make 'em.  

We do prefer them with rye.  Mrs. Skinsfan likes hers a tad sweeter,  so she gets two cherries and a generous bar spoon of Luxardo cherry juice in hers.

I have, for 5 years, tinkered with every aspect of the drink. 

I did a blind taste test of all the mass market bourbons*, experimented with ice cube size, settled on a Yeti tumbler as the ideal vessel, bought dozens of varieties of bitters, shaken, stirred, lit orange peels on fire and recently measured the molasses content of sugar. 

*image.thumb.jpeg.d6e8f3d639461ea27e32fe830906274b.jpeg

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Let’s try adding smoke. 

D4B6E312-1BA6-4A10-ACCC-DB2A67B7DCC4.jpeg

Have you tried using smoked ice?

Fire up the smoker, or grill, for low heat, toss a few chunks of your favorite wood. Once it starts to billow smoke, put a couple aluminum trays full of water, and let it smoke.

After it cools, pour the smoke-infused water into ice molds, and you're all set! 

20 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I have, for 5 years, tinkered with every aspect of the drink. 

I did a blind taste test of all the mass market bourbons*, experimented with ice cube size, settled on a Yeti tumbler as the ideal vessel, bought dozens of varieties of bitters, shaken, stirred, lit orange peels on fire and recently measured the molasses content of sugar. 

*image.thumb.jpeg.d6e8f3d639461ea27e32fe830906274b.jpeg

You're  not trying hard enough😂

• Like 1

I am on a bourbon buying frenzy this weekend....went and bought some knob creek maple bourbon at Montgomery County Liquor Control in Bethesda (better than the ABC stores in VA IMO) and made some maple bacon old fashioneds 🤤

Can confirm this is a good brand of simple syrup: https://proofsyrup.com/products/maple-bacon-proof-syrup?variant=17961944711219&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjwzMeFBhBwEiwAzwS8zLYoR0kLOv5rtEUioYE8M5O2XSuKL8VimjGxy6yfiTAyzotM44F-KBoCHAcQAvD_BwE

Edited by Barry.Randolphe

9 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I am on a bourbon buying frenzy this weekend....went and bought some knob creek maple bourbon at Montgomery County Liquor Control in Bethesda (better than the ABC stores in VA IMO) and made some maple bacon old fashioneds 🤤

Can confirm this is a good brand of simple syrup: https://proofsyrup.com/products/maple-bacon-proof-syrup?variant=17961944711219&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjwzMeFBhBwEiwAzwS8zLYoR0kLOv5rtEUioYE8M5O2XSuKL8VimjGxy6yfiTAyzotM44F-KBoCHAcQAvD_BwE

I don't care for sweeter drinks and prefer a more  traditional Old-Fashioned. 

1 1/2 oz rye, bar spoon of simple syrup, 3 dashes bitters, orange peel twist, Luxardo cherry.

Every once in a blue moon, I like a Maple Old-Fashioned, where I substitute maple syrup, for the simple syrup.   In those cases, I'll use 1/4 oz of pure maple syrup.

To answer your question, I've read great things about the Proof Syrup brand, but have never tried it myself. My cheap-ass can't bring myself to drop $33.00 for flavored sugar water, regardless of what it's infused with.  I can, however, see purchasing one if you're going to make a bunch of drinks for people who like their whiskey ****tails on the sweet side.      Simple syrup is criminally easy, and cheap, to make.    So is bacon infused simple syrup.      

• Like 1

How Trump's tariffs haunt Kentucky's whiskey distillers: 'We're still on death row'

Dozens of cases of whiskey sit on the ground floor of the James E. Pepper Distillery in Lexington, Kentucky, ready to be shipped -- but, because President Joe Biden hasn't moved to end trade disputes started under former President Donald Trump, none of it will be going to thirsty customers overseas.

Owner Amir Peay had big dreams for selling James E. Pepper in Europe when he started producing these bottles four years ago. He rented space in a warehouse in Europe, setting up a whole new distribution system. But then Trump started a series of trade fights with the European Union, which retaliated by slapping a 25% tariff on American whiskey, making Peay's bottles much more expensive for European drinkers.

Peay's European sales steadily declined, and over time James E. Pepper lost 75% of its foreign business. He hoped for a reversal once Biden took office, but like other exporters, he's been disappointed. Biden is meeting his foreign counterparts this weekend at the G7 summit in Britain, but it's unclear how long the tariffs will stay in place, despite recent signs that the American and European officials will begin negotiating on trade.

"We're still on death row," Peay said.

Click on the link for the full article

On 6/13/2021 at 6:56 PM, China said:

How Trump's tariffs haunt Kentucky's whiskey distillers: 'We're still on death row'

Dozens of cases of whiskey sit on the ground floor of the James E. Pepper Distillery in Lexington, Kentucky, ready to be shipped -- but, because President Joe Biden hasn't moved to end trade disputes started under former President Donald Trump, none of it will be going to thirsty customers overseas.

Owner Amir Peay had big dreams for selling James E. Pepper in Europe when he started producing these bottles four years ago. He rented space in a warehouse in Europe, setting up a whole new distribution system. But then Trump started a series of trade fights with the European Union, which retaliated by slapping a 25% tariff on American whiskey, making Peay's bottles much more expensive for European drinkers.

Peay's European sales steadily declined, and over time James E. Pepper lost 75% of its foreign business. He hoped for a reversal once Biden took office, but like other exporters, he's been disappointed. Biden is meeting his foreign counterparts this weekend at the G7 summit in Britain, but it's unclear how long the tariffs will stay in place, despite recent signs that the American and European officials will begin negotiating on trade.

"We're still on death row," Peay said.

Click on the link for the full article

That sucks.

We toured the distillery a couple years ago and took a private ****tail class. It's a first class operation and they have some good whiskey. I hope it works out.

20190413_130120.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ragged branch is solid. I highly recommend you visit if you find yourself in the Charlottesville area 

Right now I’m enjoying their double Oaked wheat with a splash of warm water

considering opening the bottle I bought for my brother in law and keeping it. 

• Haha 2