Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

You can't even buy Costco bourbon in this state because all hard liqour has to be sold in the VABC, so dumb

I sincerely doubt the VABC is selling Kirkland Rum and Bourbon and EVEN if they were the liqour taxes in this state are so stupid

Do you know that 1L of rum or any spirit costs 40 dollars

How is that justified?

38 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

You can't even buy Costco bourbon in this state because all hard liqour has to be sold in the VABC, so dumb

I sincerely doubt the VABC is selling Kirkland Rum and Bourbon and EVEN if they were the liqour taxes in this state are so stupid

Do you know that 1L of rum or any spirit costs 40 dollars

How is that justified?

Doesn't seem very "business friendly" to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

First place I ever bought liquor legally was at the Costco in Loveland Colorado the morning of my 21st birthday. They had like a separate store upfront and ya didn't need a Costco membership to buy booze there. 🙂

Colorado has some pretty different liquor laws.  Far as I could figure out, every big box could have only one full liquor dept in an area. The rest of their stores only had beer and wine.  Apparently this keeps the mom and pop outfits in business too.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

ABC stores and blue laws are exactly why religion and government should never mix. 

In MD you have to go to some small ass beer or liqour store to buy beer, not the grocery store, not Walmart and NOT Target

It's insanely stupid

While I do understand it's small business I have no interest in going to a ma and pa beer store to buy beer. It's why I almost never did it in MD. When I went to VA I just purchased beer and wine at the grocery store and let the clerk check my ID. 

I remember growing up we'd go to the beer store while my parents played the lottery, they were always such dingy run down places. But you could play lotto there lol

51 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Yeah Colorado has drive thru liquor stores. The way it should be. 😄 

Most seemed locally owned which was nice.

I think Louisiana is the only place I've lived that sold liquor directly in the grocery stores. 

Albertson's in Jacksonville, FL had liquor in the store.  That was nice. 

• Thumb up 1

46 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

In NM every convenience store, drug store and grocery has a full liquor dept.  I also think we're in the running for #1 in bad consequences from liquor in pretty much every category.  

Just like California. Get licensed to sell liquor, then sell liquor and sell it 8am Sunday. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Name the cat Whiskey

I like it!

That was the name of one of our dogs.

😉

11 hours ago, TheGoodBits said:

My wife drove 14 hours round trip to Kentucky to buy me bourbon. 

Wait no, she went to get a damn cat. But I made her get me bourbon while she was there. New Riff, had wanted to try it for a bit. Very tasty high rye bourbon.

New Riff is solid.   I like every version that I've tried and keep a couple bottles on hand.  A friend of mine, and a fellow board member, lives across the street from the distillery and turned us on to it shortly after they started selling it.  Unlike most start-ups, they did it right and didn't source anything.  They distilled their own and waited until it was ready, before they released it.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I like it!

That was the name of one of our dogs.

😉

New Riff is solid.   I like every version that I've tried and keep a couple bottles on hand.  A friend of mine, and a fellow board member, lives across the street from the distillery and turned us on to it shortly after they started selling it.  Unlike most start-ups, they did it right and didn't source anything.  They distilled their own and waited until it was ready, before they released it.    

So they did sell MGP juice for a bit but the difference is they never hid that. Same thing VA Distillery did btw. I definitely love the transparency that a select handful of craft distilleries like these have. Very refreshing in an industry that’s very much opaque. So hard to start up a new distillery given how long it takes to age product so it’s rare to find ones that do it the right way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGoodBits said:

So they did sell MGP juice for a bit but the difference is they never hid that. Same thing VA Distillery did btw. I definitely love the transparency that a select handful of craft distilleries like these have. Very refreshing in an industry that’s very much opaque. So hard to start up a new distillery given how long it takes to age product so it’s rare to find ones that do it the right way. 

Oh...I didn't realize that.  Thanks for the clarification.

I agree.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bearrock said:

My lovely wife got me a nice bottle of 30 yr old Ballentine on her way back from a trip.  Is there a recommended way to drink these things?  With ice?  Without ice?  Straight?  Mixed with water?  Suggestions?

That was a thoughtful gift.   Adding water opens them up and a lot of people drink it that way.

Try it straight and see how you like it,  If it's lower proof...i.e. somewhere between 80-92, it may be fine straight. 

If the burn is too much, add a few drops of water, (3-4), and see how you like it and keep doing that until you find out how much water you like.

I usually add a water bottle capful to higher proofers, and maybe a couple drops to lower proof whiskey.

I don't use ice because it dilutes the scotch too quickly, as I drink it slowly.    I have some large ice spheres, but I use those for very high proof and hazmat whiskey.

There's no wrong way to drink and enjoy whiskey, as long as you like it.   That being said, I highly suggest trying a small pour straight first, and letting it rest in the glass for the initial "neck" pour, for at least 15 minutes.

Please post how you like it and enjoy!

• Thanks 1