Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNBC: Ethereum hits another record high, marking a more than 2,800% rally this year

No Excuses

3 minutes ago, Predicto said:

The technology can be legit.  It may have real world applications someday.  Who cares?

That doesn't convert individual bitcoins into an investment.  

I'm not mocking the technology.  I'm mocking the idea that a bitcoin has massive value as an investment, and that what any of these people is doing is really "investing."   

There's an evolution from:

(1) 'In God We Trust' ... to

(2) In Nation States We Trust ...  to

(3) In Math We Trust. :ols:

Noone is investing. They are speculating., just like with 'precious metals'.

17 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

You mean like gold and silver?

This is a good point.  Gold and silver retain value because of their historical use as a substitute for currency.   They probably shouldn't have nearly as much value as they have, but they do.   They particularly appeal to those who fear economic collapse and currency losing all its value.

Of course, if that happens, bitcoin will be even more worthless than dollars.  It is entirely dependent on a functioning high tech society to exist at all.  At least you can burn dollars to keep warm.

4 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Pfft... He ain't happy. Oh sure, he thinks he's happy. He feels happy all the time. But trust me, he ain't.

Money can't buy you happiness.

But it can buy you a giant ****ing yacht, and you can pull up right alongside it.

And when anyone talks Fiat, I'm always thinking of this.

1200px-1973_Fiat_126_IMG_7855.jpg

11 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

There's an evolution from:

(1) 'In God We Trust' ... to

(2) In Nation States We Trust ...  to

(3) In Math We Trust. :ols:

Noone is investing. They are speculating., just like with 'precious metals'.

A lot of the people in this thread seem to think they are investing, and that these crypto currencies have tangible value that can be measured:   "the price is very low for its marketcap"  and so on,.

I don't see the comparison to the early 90s internet boom.  The wealth came to those who invested in the stock of companies like Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, Intel.  Actual companies that were positioned to take advantage of the growth of the internet to make profits and create real value.

The current mania seems more like people investing in digital pictures of the Microsoft and Intel logos, pictures that they email back and forth to each other, while declaring them to have doubled in value each time.

It is different, but not so different.

Back in the boom people were 'investing' in stock of companies that had no products and no revenue. How was Netscape whose primary 'product offering' was a free web browser ever going to make enough money to justify its value? Sell the stock? :ols:

And today some of the ICOs are about owning part of a network where value is exchanged and there rights and revenue opportunities. e.g. Aragon

But I agree, bitcoin is pure speculation. I don't know why it's not being hawked on Fox News to the old, much like the buy gold coins with a picture of a patriotic American buffalo.

47 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The idea is that they will be using the blockchain platform for contracts and payment systems for some (or most?) aspects of their operations as well.

Blockchain can be used for any kind of record keeping and that's where the value in research is. It's going on right now.

How does that relate to crypto currency and it's value?

29 minutes ago, Predicto said:

This is a good point.  Gold and silver retain value because of their historical use as a substitute for currency.   They probably shouldn't have nearly as much value as they have, but they do.   They particularly appeal to those who fear economic collapse and currency losing all its value.

Of course, if that happens, bitcoin will be even more worthless than dollars.  It is entirely dependent on a functioning high tech society to exist at all.  At least you can burn dollars to keep warm.

Arbitrary value in a metal because of its scarcity is similar

Of course when the value of gold or silver is reduced to nothing, you still have the gold and the silver.

When bitcoin is reduce to zero you have..... ?

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Why should I pay for something using cryptocurrency instead of USD?

From the consumer end, its not much different than a credit card.  From the merchant end, at least for Bitcoin, there is no transfer fee(right now, will probably change in the future), and there's no such thing as a chargeback.   So theoretically, merchant prices should go down if they use a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin over CCs like Visa / Mastercard, etc.

Also, it makes person to person transactions much easier/faster.   For example, you have someone buy tickets to a Redskins/Capitals/Wizards game or something, but you want to split the cost.   You can write them a check or hand them cash, but it would be nice if there was some system where you could just pay them right there and it would update in their account without having someone go to the bank (you could have cash on hand to cover the cost, but it also eventually means a trip to the bank to get enough cash).   The current way to do this for individuals online is Paypal, but that pretty much the same drawbacks as credit cards, in addition Paypal can freeze your account.

26 minutes ago, Predicto said:

The current mania seems more like people investing in digital pictures of the Microsoft and Intel logos, pictures that they email back and forth to each other, while declaring them to have doubled in value each time.

The truth is its a low barrier of entry into "investing"

What doesn't matter. The charts show them going up, stories get passed around twitter, and everyone in the middle class wants to be an investor - that's what the upper class is, right? Investors?

Throw in fiat, corrupt banks and governments, and the US Printing money and hyper inflation and you've checked all the boxes.

You can throw 500 in it and watch it turn into 700 quickly. It's like winning a few hands of blackjack. It's quick, fun. And seems easy.

Most people enjoy the ponzi scheme until they realize it's a ponzi scheme.

5 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

From the consumer end, its not much different than a credit card.

Sorry

But this is bull****

The value of every unit on my credit card (USD in my case) does not fluctuate widely and lose 50% in the course of an hour or two.

Dammit dude, if I bought my gas 40 minutes later it would have cost me 40% frewer fractions of a coin

:(

:rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

From the merchant end, at least for Bitcoin, there is no transfer fee(right now, will probably change in the future),

This is also wrong

The network that controlls entries into the blockchain for each currency does infact charge a fee.

You can spin up a masternode for one of the currencies and make money by simply being a voter on the block chain.

Two sentences in you're 0/2.

Also, it makes person to person transactions much easier/faster. 

Transactions are done at a speed dependent on activity on the network.

During peak activity times you can buy your priority with a higher rate.

You should ask all the people unable to dump their coins when it's crashing and buy when it's running about how fast and easy transactions are.

You can write them a check or hand them cash, but it would be nice if there was some system where you could just pay them right there and it would update in their account without having someone go to the bank (you could have cash on hand to cover the cost, but it also eventually means a trip to the bank to get enough cash

Paypal

Bank of America has this, they've been advertising it. It's their mobile app.

My bank has its own system.

This already exists.

Between individuals (like to split the cost of an event) you can use PayPal instantly, without fees, and without leaving money in their hands for them to freeze. 

Just pointing out that that part was a bunch of nonsense too. 

Edit: @Corcaigh I'm not buying and selling precious metals either. 

I'm not knocking anybody who wants to ride this roller coaster, just saying it's not for me. Beyond what we have set aside for traditional investing, we don't have spare money that I'm comfortable losing. 

13 hours ago, tshile said:

Paypal

Bank of America has this, they've been advertising it. It's their mobile app.

My bank has its own system.

This already exists.

Zelle. Most of the major banks are using it now. Goes straight from one bank account to another.

On 12/22/2017 at 7:24 PM, tshile said:

Blockchain can be used for any kind of record keeping and that's where the value in research is. It's going on right now.

How does that relate to crypto currency and it's value?

The tokens (“coins”) are the means by which one participates in the execution of public blockchain protocols.

If you think a public blockchain protocol will be adopted for commercial or large-scale use, then its tokens do offer value, especially based on the number of them in circulation and the capped limit.

It is a mistake to think of cryptocurrencies as currencies like the dollar. They are really assets whose value is tied to a particular blockchain protocol.

We don’t really know which public blockchain protocols will be widely adopted or which technologies and platforms they will spawn. 

I dont disagree with most of you who are skeptical and think that the value of bitcoin is a bubble of epic proportions. I think this is all valid and likely true. But I do think down the line there will be winners, and it’s not the worst thing to do to with your money long term.

It is certainly not the tulip or beanie babies.

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

It is a mistake to think of cryptocurrencies as currencies like the dollar. They are really assets whose value is tied to a particular blockchain protocol.

We don’t really know which public blockchain protocols will be widely adopted or which technologies and platforms they will spawn. 

I dont disagree with most of you who are skeptical and think that the value of bitcoin is a bubble of epic proportions. I think this is all valid and likely true. But I do think down the line there will be winners, and it’s not the worst thing to do to with your money long term.

This is the way I view them. 

Assets tied to a particular form of (generally) blockchain technology, whose stock will rise or fall depending on how well that technology connects to and creates the future. 

In that scenario, I don't view the crypto market as entirely different from the stock market with a major exception being that cryptos are much more volatile but have a much higher potential long term. 

13 hours ago, Skinz4Life12 said:

Anyone else in XRP (Ripple)? It seems that banks have started taking to this platform as it has quintupled its market cap in a very short period of time. Who knows, maybe one day it (or something else) will replace SWIFT

Really wish I decided to put the couple hundred I planned to when ripple was at .235 :(  had issues setting up kraken account and just said screw it

2 hours ago, steve09ru said:

Really wish I decided to put the couple hundred I planned to when ripple was at .235 :(  had issues setting up kraken account and just said screw it

I had to jump through some hoops to get an account t setup as well. I'm glad I followed through though.

Ripple itself already has tangible value in the contracts and companies already setup to use its platform. They have contracts with 100 banks I read, as well as American Express. The transaction speed is an order of magnitude faster than Bitcoin, and the fees are only a tiny fraction as well. Should be an interesting year for the platform. 

15 hours ago, Skinz4Life12 said:

Anyone else in XRP (Ripple)? It seems that banks have started taking to this platform as it has quintupled its market cap in a very short period of time. Who knows, maybe one day it (or something else) will replace SWIFT

I got into Ripple when it was at $0.73, and dumped in a little more fun money since. I'm on Binance, and also have cheddar in XVG, CND, and TRX. When it spiked to $2.12 I was quite happy.

Archived