Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNBC: Ethereum hits another record high, marking a more than 2,800% rally this year

No Excuses

14 hours ago, Skinz4Life12 said:

I traded some of my LTC today and bought about 600 ripple based on a lot of speculation that it could be the next currency that Coinbase carries. I can only imagine if that happens and it goes to $50 a coin

nice - was thinking about doing the same.  Was close to pulling the trigger on $1000 or so back when it was around .24 but couldn't get kraken to setup right.  Happy with putting that money into LTC though instead. 

Did they say anticipated date?  My worry with XRP is that there's so much in circulation that it's hard to see the value go up tremendously.

6 hours ago, steve09ru said:

nice - was thinking about doing the same.  Was close to pulling the trigger on $1000 or so back when it was around .24 but couldn't get kraken to setup right.  Happy with putting that money into LTC though instead. 

Did they say anticipated date?  My worry with XRP is that there's so much in circulation that it's hard to see the value go up tremendously.

I only bought $300 worth of Ripple (of course now I wish I bought more) but it has almost 2x'd in a day. I'm going to hold my LTC for now as I know a rebound to $400 is likely.

Yes Ripple has so much coin in circulation that the price is very low for its market cap. I do believe if it hits coinbase it will hit whole dollar figures very quickly. It's more of a long term hold for me. If it turns out to be $5+ in a year I'd be happy with that. There is no official word on being added to coinbase just a lot of speculation. I'd be beyond ecstatic if it ever hit $100 per coin

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

• Buy back in :kickcan:

I'm not gonna chase it. That being said, if a deep correction comes I might get back in. 

I'm in a couple alt coins for the time being and made a little bit of my money but am kicking myself that I would be pushing 3x in a month (bought my piece of bitcoin on Nov 16) if I had just held for another week

3 minutes ago, Skinz4Life12 said:

I'm not gonna chase it. That being said, if a deep correction comes I might get back in. 

I'm in a couple alt coins for the time being and made a little bit of my money but am kicking myself that I would be pushing 3x in a month (bought my piece of bitcoin on Nov 16) if I had just held for another week

I get the feeling that a lot of the people who hopped out of bitcoin early and new people to the market are buying the cheaper stuff so that may go up faster.

who really knows at this point.

I'm thinking of throwing a grand at litecoin. The wife just got a major raise, so we have sustainable income if the choice blows up in our faces. Probably just gonna leave it in a wallet and hope cryptocurrency keeps on building steam.

I like the tech of LTC and feel it has real potential as a currency, whereas bitcoin is more of a storage medium. Silver vs gold.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I'm thinking of throwing a grand at litecoin. The wife just got a major raise, so we have sustainable income if the choice blows up in our faces. Probably just gonna leave it in a wallet and hope cryptocurrency keeps on building steam.

I like the tech of LTC and feel it has real potential as a currency, whereas bitcoin is more of a storage medium. Silver vs gold.

it bounced between 300-330 all weekend.

futures trading is opening up. they'll probably all get hit hard with shorts and cause weird bouncing. if you think it's a good long term buy you could probably find a good spot over the next 48 hours to get it for cheaper.

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

it bounced between 300-330 all weekend.

futures trading is opening up. they'll probably all get hit hard with shorts and cause weird bouncing. if you think it's a good long term buy you could probably find a good spot over the next 48 hours to get it for cheaper.

Yeah, generally speaking, even if something is a good long-term buy, it's not a good idea to jump in the moment you see "_____ hit an all time high today!" :rofl89: I'll keep my eyes peeled for a more reasonable opening.

Damn, why didn't i put money in NEO when No Excuses was talking about it recently :ols:

I have some money in LTC, Ripple (XRP), Stellar (XML), and will probably continue to diversify with OMG, DASH, and NEO or ADA. 

I bought my LTC at $150 so I may yank all of that out to cover all my principal and let the house chips ride

Took a flyer on $1k worth of Eth about a week and a half ago and it's nearly doubled since then, so that's cool.  

Thinking about diversifying a bit, maybe taking half and putting it into Ripple and NEO.  Or maybe a little more and get into LTC too.

Appears Coinbase makes you go to dollars first and then to whatever else, instead of letting you go coin to coin, so you get two transaction fees.  Changelly looks pretty easy for switching between currencies.  Bittrex looks complicated.  What do you guys use?

40 minutes ago, Predicto said:

I still can't figure out why this one or that one is "cheap", or to be honest, why any of them has any value at all.

This doesn't look like investing to me - it looks like a giant Ponzi scheme. 

This all boils down to if you think blockchain technology has any value moving forward.

This was all very speculative many years ago, but IMO, there is legitimate interest and activity from private companies, banks and governments in blockchain technology.

Right now, there really isn't much clarity as to what kind of utility will come out of the different cryptocurrencies. And because of this, I don't think we have a true understanding of their real value.

Most of this is speculative betting on technologies that might blow up in the future. I think it's worthwhile buying in if you have disposable income. If you have 1-5K laying around, and you are financially stable enough where losing this sum won't negatively impact your life, then it's not the worst thing you can do with your money.

2 hours ago, Predicto said:

I still can't figure out why this one or that one is "cheap", or to be honest, why any of them has any value at all.

This doesn't look like investing to me - it looks like a giant Ponzi scheme. 

As Corcaigh alluded to, think of the Internet in the 90s.   Though at this time, now I think its closer to '99 than '92.  

I think there is value in cryptocurrency... the problem is picking the winner.  Bitcoin could be the AOL/Myspace of cryptocurrencies, or it could be  Google.  One idea is to spread the money around to reduce risk.

Edit: As to the Ponzi scheme thing, I view Bitcoin/Ethereum/Litecoin are one of the more democratic investments out there.  I really think its impossible that a single individual or even small group could manipulate the market, because the system is decentralized.   I'm not saying they would never crash, but if they do I don't think its going to be because some Ken Lay/Bernie Ebbers type conpsiracy that screws over smaller investors.  It would be because the stakeholders collectively lose faith for one reaosn or another.  Technical failures are also a consideration, though less likely.  And as always, there could be weaknesses with any given exchange.  

At least with Bitcoin, all transactions are publically available. If that aspect of cryptocurrency is attractive to you, you would want to avoid the ones that are tied to companies like Ripple (I would not invest in Ripple personally for that reason)

Another thing I've been pondering over with Bitcoin is market cap - Right now roughly 17 million bitcoins have already been mined.  At $20k per bitcoin, that works out to $340 billion.   That's approaching the level of the big tech companies like Apple, Google, etc which are in the ballpark of $700 billion.  I suppose there is some room for growth, although I'm not believing the ridiculous numbers like bitcoins being worth $500k in 5 years.  At that level, you're starting to approach the level of the entire US M2 money supply.

Wow- that was intense if anyone was on coinbase or gdax for the last 20 minutes.  Bitcoin cash just got added to coinbase out of the blue and **** just plummeted (bitcoin hit 14ks and ltc was at 275 for a few moment) but recovered fairly quickly.  Talk about a rollercoaster and thank god transactions were down. Was about to sell when I saw it plummet and try and buy back as I was anticipating it to get near 200

Archived